Paul Scholes | 2012/13 Performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances Forum' started by Maajid, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 29, 2013

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Exactly, we could lose two games we're unlikely to lose and still be 9 points ahead with only 7 games to go.
  2. Mar 29, 2013

We've not lost to Stoke since they came up and I don't think Chelsea and City are both going to win at Old Trafford. Nevertheless, even if we somehow lost all those four games we'd still need to lose another 2 or 3 at least as City will certainly drop points along the way. Can you really see us dropping 18-20 points out of 27 remaining? Even Reading and QPR would be embarrassed to get 7-10 points in 9 games at this stage of season.

This talk about 'two or three draws or losses making it tight' is frankly pointless - we're in a position where we can lose 4 and draw 1 in the remaining 9 games and still win it. In fact, given City's form, we could probably draw another 2 and still be fine. With draws we'd have to draw ALL of them for City to be able to surpass us assuming they win all except the one at OT. Honestly, it's impossible to lose it from this position unless we became QPR all of sudden.
  3. Mar 29, 2013

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I know it seems unlucky, but I am not getting my hopes up. Last year was ridiculous and it has given me a nervous feel to the run in ha.

I hope we perform as confidently as you both feel!
  4. Mar 29, 2013

I might be nervous if it were 6 or even 9 points. 15 though is too much.
  5. Mar 29, 2013

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

There's always a first time a team screw up a ridiculously big lead.

Luckily fergie won't let that happen, and I'm sure he'll put a team out that can take Sunderland down, who are without their best striker and most influential midfielder.

To actually get the thread back on point, Scholesy returning will be nice, but hopefully it means he's properly fit.

He's been alright this season, but he was excellent when he came back last season after his half season break.

There's no chance he'll stay on as a player next year though. It felt too soon 2 years ago, but now definitely feels the right time.
  6. Mar 29, 2013

Amir Full Member

I don't know. He was out of the picture big time even before the injury. Maybe the rest will see him doing something huge like his comeback last season. But it's not too likely.

Fergie may use him here and there, but I'm not sure he'll be playing much in the big games, in which we've done well without him. And I doubt we'll hear Fergie's annual 'he's got another year in him'. Not quite sure he had THIS year in him.
  7. Mar 29, 2013

I also think it'll be his last season. He managed to come back last year but that six months break actually did him a favour, he rested and was well prepared for half a season of football. This season he couldn't keep up though and it won't change, he won't get any younger.
  8. Mar 29, 2013

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

He's not been close to what he was last season. Shame, but it's been pretty evident. I mean he wasn't a box-to-box runner last season, but his presence at times this year was painful at times.

He's only completed 90 minutes twice (which is somewhat irrelevant to what he brings to the table) and both games were lost.

For me he's only really had one really decent outing for us and that was Villa away in the second half. Maybe Wigan at home in the second half too. He struggled at Anfield, was one of the reasons Newcastle countered so well against us at OT, similar situation against Spurs with the ball travelling over his head 3 times too many.

Nothing against Scholes (he is probably the best player I've seen and will ever see live) but he's just not had that impact he had last season. Luckily Cleverley seems to be past his injury problems to add a slightly different dimension and style of play and Carrick has ran things single handedly without that aura of Scholes next to him.

That 5 month period last season though, unforgettable and just a huge shame it didn't result in another medal.
  9. Mar 29, 2013

True but the age has to take its toll. He doesn't have the ability to run games anymore but I can't think of many players who would still have it at 38. It's an age at which defenders and goalkeepers and occasionally strikers (Sheringham, Romario) and obviously Ryan Giggs can still be productive, midfielders don't usually last that long, for a reason too.
  10. Mar 29, 2013

manutddjw Full Member

I think he'll retire, but it's unfair to say he's diminished this season. Scholes is the same player he was last season, his ability and limitations are the same, the thing that has changed from last season to this one, is that our wingers have been dire for most of the season.

Usually Scholes has had the benefit of having at least one winger in good form, and alot of the opportunities we created in the last couple of years, were from Scholes simply smashing the ball out wide and our wingers would do something productive. Scholes would get praised for starting the attack, by doing something he's still quite capable of doing today. This season, Scholes will still get the ball out wide, but our wingers didn't do anything with it and basically Scholes' main contribution has been diminished.
  11. Apr 17, 2013

MPTutd Full Member

Just found this in a mail article. Not sure it has been posted before so thought I would.

Brings a smile to my face.

Cristiano Ronaldo: 'When we were in training, I used to do a lot of tricks which hardly any players at club could do.

'Once I was showing my skills to Scholes. After I finished it, Scholes took a ball and pointed towards a tree which was about 50m from where we were standing. He said I’m going to hit it in one shot. He kicked it and hit the tree.

'He asked me to do the same, I kicked about 10 times, but couldn’t hit it with that accuracy. He smiled and left.'
  12. Apr 17, 2013

I'm always right Banned

It's been posted thousands of times but it never gets old, always brings a smile.
  13. Apr 17, 2013

Adebesi Full Member

I was thinking about this thread yesterday. Wondering what implications the Aeroflot deal has for Scholes' holiday plans this summer. Looks like its the Black Sea Coast for him.
  14. Apr 17, 2013

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Just a shame Scholesy said it's not even true in an interview last summer. I reckon that's a case with quite a few of the quotes attached to Scholes to be honest.
  15. Apr 17, 2013

holyland red "Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"

Read that story before. Excellent stuff.

It would be so nice for Scholes to win another title before retiring.
  16. Apr 17, 2013

Adebesi Full Member

I like the way you highlighted that one specific bit. Like the whole story is about the fact that Scholes once smiled.
  17. Apr 17, 2013

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    He's played enough games so he should get one.
  18. Apr 17, 2013

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

:lol: If we're in double dash territory which players represent which characters?

Rafael is certainly one of the little mushroom fellas. Vidic is Bowser.
  19. Apr 17, 2013

Adebesi Full Member

We're that far ahead Chelsea or Arsenal will probably get the lightning and we'll all shrink to a fraction of our usual size and get squashed.
  20. Apr 17, 2013

gooDevil Worst scout ever

We need Scholes to confirm which tree it is, so I can get a poster with the tree on it, to put on my wall next to my Scholes poster.
  21. Apr 17, 2013

Aboutreika18 Full Member

[​IMG]
  22. Apr 17, 2013

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

23. Apr 17, 2013

Raees Full Member

Awesome
  24. Apr 17, 2013

kps88 Full Member

Heh not surprised to learn that Ronaldo - tree story was fiction.
  25. Apr 17, 2013

Chesterlestreet Full Member

"Thankfully I've been born with...er...a bit of an ability to pass the ball...and..."

Yes, sir. You have been born with "a bit of an ability" to do just that. I just...no. He's great, isn't he? Simply great.
  26. Apr 26, 2013

adamwest Full Member

Are we going to see him play before the end of the season? Against the arse on Sunday ?
  27. Apr 26, 2013

Rowem gently, down the stream

After his fantastic return in the second half of last season it's a shame that this season has been a real poor one for Scholes.

Hopefully he gets a run out as it's presumably his last season.
  28. Apr 27, 2013

Raven Blade Dull

I hope we can see him score one last screamer.
  29. Apr 27, 2013

wonnie Full Member

He actually scored a screamer in that testimonial game - his last game in a Utd shirt before his first retirement. I thought that was a perfect way to send off Scholes.

Let's hope for something similar again :D
  30. Apr 27, 2013

Goooose Banned

Surely he'll come on against Swansea? Even if it's stoppage time I hope he gets on.
  31. Apr 27, 2013

Ronnie O'Sullivan Full Member

It's his 11th title yea? High chance he will really retire this time, but United have to make sure he's still involved with the squad
  32. Apr 27, 2013

redevil2 Full Member

Saw training pictures in which he's training with the lads
  33. Apr 27, 2013

Genius Me! Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member

I don't know why he doesn't go and play for Oldham for a year like he's always wanted to and then come back to coaching here afterwards.

Also Fergie said he wants to get him playing in our last home game.
  34. Apr 29, 2013

Drifter American

Paul Scholes is certain to be at Old Trafford next season, but Sir Alex Ferguson isn't sure if it will be as a United player or coach.

The 38-year-old midfielder is out of contract in the summer and is expected to retire for a second time after an injury-hit 2013. But Ferguson has assured fans that Scholes, who spent six months as a reserve-team coach before returning to the first team in January 2012, will revert to a role on the United backroom staff if he decides to call time on his playing career. The Reds boss stressed that Scholes, who is behind only Ryan Giggs and Sir Bobby Charlton in United's all-time appearance makers, is yet to say whether he will be in the squad again next season. "He'll be here anyway - whether as a player or coach," said Ferguson. "We'll have to wait and see with Scholes." Scholes did not join in with the title celebrations on the Old Trafford turf after last Monday's 3-0 win over Aston Villa but Ferguson played down the significance of that. He told the club's official website: "I don't think he came onto the pitch but he's not that type. He was probably home by the time the game ended! "I think there will come a time when he has to quit anyway, whether it's next year or this year. He's not made his mind up about that. He has got a lot to offer us and we do this now, it's a very important part of our club to get players who have made a great contribution." The United manager reiterated his wish that two more of his current playing squad will become members of the club's coaching team. He added: "Nicky Butt is with the reserves; Darren Fletcher, when his time comes, will join. Ryan Giggs will join. [Then there are] Brian McClair, Tony Whelan, Paul McGuinness, Marek Szmid. We have a lot of former players in positions at the club which is healthy for us."

Great news .Hopefully Giggs will also get stay on,if that is what he wants.
  35. May 8, 2013

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

Slipping out of the back door again? This is already the worst summer ever.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.