Paul Scholes the pundit

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by #07, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Aug 23, 2018

Sigma Full Member Scouse Lover

It is if you want people to actually watch you. Or be interested in you. Or listen to you.
  2. Aug 23, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    This is pretty much where I am on him he knows his stuff and says it how it is but constantly looks miserable and incredably monotone. To be a pundit, good or bad, you either need to be engaging and knowledgable like Neville or entertaining like Keane.
  3. Aug 23, 2018

Posh Red New Member

So you don't think he singles out Pogba whatsoever? Did you ever see him dig out Rooney like that, a player who performed far worse on a more regular basis?

It seems as though because he's a big money signing and has a big social media presence he should be held to a higher standard to anyone else. Personally I don't think that's fair but that's just me.
  4. Aug 24, 2018

njred HALA MADRID!

Why do you lot get slag off former players who criticize united? These are pundits who care about the team and are obviously upset with the downward spiral Jose is dragging united into.
  5. Aug 24, 2018

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Of course it is. He's in the entertainment business.
  6. Aug 24, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

The reactions to ex United pundits on here are consistently strange.
  7. Aug 24, 2018

luke511 Full Member

The thing is he's doing exactly what we do on this forum, instead he's doing it in front of a camera. It comes across as being whiny but he's just a fan speaking his mind, you can't really blame him for that.
  8. Aug 24, 2018

EngimaMK New Member

I think the media furore over Pogba is a little over the top - BUT, does he (and his agent) court it?

For Raiola to take on Scholes is laughable. If Paul Pogba was half as good as Scholes we would be lucky. Scholes doesn't know leadership he said. Ha ha. Scholes, who worked under Alex Ferguson and formed relationships with Keane, Cantona and Schmeichel doesn't know what leadership looks like. Yeah, right...

Screw Pogba and his agent and all of these modern day Twitter, meme-following, Fortnite dancing, dabbing, label following, wannabe designers before footballers embarrassments to the game.
  9. Aug 24, 2018

simplyared Full Member

It's easy to critisize when you're on the sidelines in a studio. That's all Paul Scoles does. Very little positive comes out of his mouth.
  10. Aug 24, 2018

Mrs Smoker Full Member Scouse Lover

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Zero charisma? He's a freakin' paladin compared to plenty of others.
  11. Aug 24, 2018

Himannv Full Member

I do think he's naturally a bit grumpy, but I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He's paid to give an opinion about a match, and that last one will even have the fair-weather fans ranting, because it really was an absolute horrendous performance by us.

Also, you have to take the context of his comments into consideration as well. I watched that whole studio session and it only looks like he singled out Pogba because his comments came right after Pogba's interview where he said "my attitude wasn't right". Also the host was the one who posed the question about Pogba and both Scholes and P. Neville said almost the same things and were replying to the questions posed.

I'm not sure why the agent singled out Scholes for criticism because Phil Neville was saying almost the same things, except he sounded a bit more heartbroken. They were both struggling to defend why a United captain would say "my attitude wasn't right" and they both even offered Pogba an out saying it could have been lost in translation. I remember thinking they were being more than fair because at that time I remember thinking it sounded more like mutiny.
  12. Aug 24, 2018

Jib Full Member

Scholes has an agenda against Pogba since 2012.
  13. Aug 24, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

He has criticized Rooney in the past. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/27801310
  14. Aug 24, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Scholes does not seem to be a good pundit. He seems like he went to the Keane school of punditry. Where he just says the "the team did not want it enough", "they had no desire", etc, etc. But, it always amazes me that people here criticize the club, the manager and the players all day on here but, are shocked to hear someone like Scholes whose job it is to give opinions about Football be critical of the club, the manager or the players. He does not work for MUTV if he thinks the club is playing poor he will say it.
  15. Aug 24, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Agreed, if you want to take issue with his style and delivery that's fair game but what he's saying is bang on most of the time. Jose is in trouble if results and performances don't improve, he may not be here in 12 months, Pogba has been below par, City are certainly stronger favourites than us for the league. He's a United legend but that doesn't mean he has to be unerringly positive about us when, let's face it, there is little to be positive about in the grand scheme of things.
  16. Aug 24, 2018

Posh Red New Member

Yeah I get that. What I'm trying to say is that Pogba seems to get an unfair level of stick in comparison to others. I don't think anyone believes Pogba has been playing consistently well since he signed but he seems to be the go to name for pundits and fans when united don't play well.
  17. Aug 24, 2018

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

Why do people get annoyed by him he’s only speaking the truth.
  18. Aug 24, 2018

HJ12 New Member

I watched the post-match studio discussion with Scholes and Neville after the loss to Brighton, and it's very difficult to listen to Scholes. Fair enough, he is upset at the loss as are all United fans/ex-players, but it affects his composure and responses to the questions to a degree that you don't see coming through from Phil's responses as an example (Phil by contrast is far more measured, and actually takes a moment to think before saying something - Paul just blurts stuff out). The end result is that he just goes on putting the boot into the club in a public domain all the time (which granted he is allowed to do), but all it does is feed the already negative media narrative against United.

Again, as posters above said, he is correct in his assessments a lot of the time, but there needs to be a better balance in how he delivers that criticism.
  19. Aug 24, 2018

esmufc07 Elvis has theft the building Scout

I wish he'd just shut the feck up.
  20. Aug 24, 2018

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    You always put it simply, but it's true what you say.
  21. Aug 24, 2018

Nuts Full Member

If Pogba consistently played to his potential - ie: was the best midfielder in the league over a season - do you think Scholes would still be criticising him?
  22. Aug 24, 2018

3KDré Full Member

Is anyone in our first 11, bar De Gea performing to their potential? Maybe Lukaku and Matic and that's it. If there are so many players not doing as well as they could...
  23. Aug 25, 2018

Jinn Full Member

The truth hurts.
  24. Aug 25, 2018

Mr PG New Member

Nonsense man. Scholes tells the truth...he’s not always right but was instrumental in rubbishing lvg football
  25. Aug 25, 2018

Mr PG New Member

Pogba will likely always struggle at United unless we play a more continental style that suits him. Big players are not suited to the high number of lateral movements our style requires
  26. Aug 25, 2018

Mr PG New Member

Gary Neville my favorite pundit. Phil Neville talks nonsense all the time... even Carragher is better
  27. Aug 25, 2018

Jinn Full Member

But the discussion is on Paul Pogba, not the rest of our squad. Anyway that argument is akin to 'if your friends jump of the bridge...'
    Has it occurred to anyone that the reason why Scholes is so hard on Pogba is because he knows what it takes to excel in that position and he knows what it means to play for Utd. He sees the potential in Pogba and he is frustrated that a kid like that is not as consistent as he should be. We are all astonished at he's inconsistency. Paul Scholes was already a mainstay in Utd's midfield by the age of 25 so criticising Pogba is easy for him because he's been there and done that. Above all, the midfielders job is to make the play and give the forwards the best possible chance of attacking, at least that's what the midfielder of past Utd squads used to do. So if Pogba is inconsistent and playing with a relatively new player, the rest of the attack suffers. He needs to get he's act together fast.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  28. Aug 25, 2018

Beagle Full Member

He is not an entertaining pundit but he doesn't have any agenda. He just calls it as it is, in a dull sort of way.
  29. Sep 2, 2018

17 Van der Gouw biffa bin

Out of retirement, albeit briefly - in the 11th tier of English football.

By all accounts he easily was the best player on the pitch, but typically the brief clip on the BBC website shows him being tackled and losing the ball:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45385162
  30. Sep 2, 2018

KennyBurner New Member

Thank you for this. I used to be annoyed with him last season but he just like the rest of us are tired of watching dull football. Most of what he says is spot on especially considering Pogba. Maybe he does it a bit too much but at this point I really cannot blame him. He has no agenda he just wants United to do well I believe.
  31. Sep 2, 2018

MVBDX New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    As an outsider, generally like his views, think he's usually on point and mostly free of the bullshit that you'd see from most pundits, he isn't there to entertain the viewers or readers, and I love that.
  32. Sep 2, 2018

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Great contradiction :lol:
  33. Nov 8, 2018

tedketterman Banned

His agenda against Mourinho is doing my head in.
  34. Dec 6, 2018

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

35. Dec 6, 2018

deafepl Full Member

I'm really fans of Scholes but he's out of control, putting too much pressure on a player like Herrera and tell them they are shit because of misplaced passes. Scholes act as if he never had a bad game and misplaced pass before.
  36. Dec 6, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

Scholes is right, we are shite and in need of better players. Herrera always plays the ball short or backwards.
  37. Dec 6, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Scholes also claimed a few years ago that Ander can be our goalscoring midfielder. I think he said 10 goals a season from midfield or something. Sounds like he's never understood what type of player he is and is covering his own ass now he hasnt done what Scholes said he can do. Its not the fact he's not a natural goalscorer, no no, its because he plays simple passes. You know like Keane used to do next to Scholes. Or Carrick.
  38. Dec 6, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Opinions change, as do players.
  39. Dec 6, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

He plays more balls Backwards than he do forward.
  40. Dec 6, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Same as Fernandinho