Perspective

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Bloxy, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 28, 2011

Ferguson Full Member

It's those cold days away to Bolton or Stoke City where you can't unlock an opponent who is clinging desperately to a draw. It is on those days that the league is won.

That said, there is no reason for pessimism when sparkling football is on display.
  2. Aug 28, 2011

#07 Full Member

[​IMG]
  3. Aug 28, 2011

Raven Blade Dull

I'm afraid this team is starting to make us lose all sense of perspective.
  4. Aug 28, 2011

Siorac Full Member

feck perspective, we scored eight against fecking Arsenal.
  5. Aug 28, 2011

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

'Be spoilt' more like.

If your reaction is 'have some perspective' after such wonderful displays of football, then you're the one who needs to get perspective. If someone had made incredible claims on the basis of two or three games i.e we'll beat Barca comfortably with this team, then I agree, that is jumping the game. But people are just genuinely excited by the football we're playing. Shouldn't fans be excited and happy when they get treated to such amazing football? Shouldn't we feel lucky and blessed when our team puts on such a show?
  6. Aug 28, 2011

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Manchester United 8 - Perspective 2
  7. Aug 28, 2011

championo Top Stalker

I actually think he should have made this thread today. Today is the day of all days that we actually need some perspective. That Arsenal team was so inexperience at the back that it was school boy stuff out there, would have scored 14 today.
    We are not as good as we looked today. We are also not as bad as we looked at the beginning of the second half. We are someone where in between.
  8. Aug 28, 2011

Skywarden Full Member

Yeah, shame on us.
  9. Aug 28, 2011

Siorac Full Member

Traore's the same age as Smalling, Jenkinson is the same age as Jones and Djourou and Koscielny are supposed to be experienced first-team defenders. They are supposed to be their first choice with Vermaelen at left-back, at least that's what Arsenal fans and Wenger were talking about before the season.

And of course we're lucky we were able to call on the tremendous experience of Cleverley and Welbeck, too.
  10. Aug 28, 2011

championo Top Stalker

Maybe I don't know the tone of this thread, but I am not in anyway not happy. I am over excited, but I also know that I need to be even keel with a young team.
  11. Aug 28, 2011

Siorac Full Member

Well I'm not going to expect them to demolish every team from now on but right now I couldn't care less, I'll spend the international break savouring this win. I'll worry about future games when we get there.
  12. Aug 28, 2011

MUFCgal Full Member

Were we not inexperienced with our back five? (bar Evra). Sure Evans and Smalling have played more for us than Jones, but they're still young and if Rio & Vidic had been fit, then maybe the young lads wouldn't have played. Plus our new, under-fire goalkeeper. Then look at our midfield with Cleverley and up front with Welbeck, both young lads who've just come back from loan and trying to stamp their mark on the team

Well they're doing that by God. feck perspective, can't remember the last time I've been genuinely this excited by our team. We've got experience there if needed, but give these young lads the ball and let them go with it, and so far they've passed with flying colours.

What more can you ask for? 4 games, and 3 of those beaten teams have been Man City, Spurs and Arsenal. I rest my case.
  13. Aug 28, 2011

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

You can look at perspective in many ways. Yes, arsenal had players out. So did we. Yes Arsenal had a young team out there...so did we. You want to know what perspective is? Edwin retirned and we've bought in this 20 year old kid, who's shown good and bad. Our defense is youthful baring evra. In the not so distant past, perspective would have told us that no van der sar, Vidic, Ferdinand, O'shea, Brown etc...is a disaster.

Scholes!! Have we missed him? We've not replaced him, but we're not in bad shape and that's perspective. When we play the tough games round xmas it will be harder but teams will fear us. They will fear our speed of play.

Basically, we're doing ok and while there will be bumps and bruises we can be confident and we have seen nothing to suggest the character is wrong in the team. Infact, I don't think Sir Alex would select a fragile player. So what we're seeing is good football and it might not last, but it's f*ing stupid to not enjoy it while it lasts....
  14. Aug 28, 2011

apotheosis O'Fortuna

That's more like it Siorac well said, you and i have had cause for pessimism for too long with our midfield deficiencies, and now we are playing the type of football that we felt we were capable of all along with different personnel in the middle.

With a team averaging just 23! :drool:

Still want Sneijder by the way, or are you beginning to warm to my suggestion of a quality mobile DM yet? :angel:
  15. Aug 28, 2011

apotheosis O'Fortuna

And so say all of us! Well most of us, but the others should be saying it too.

WTF is wrong with people? It does'nt get much better than we have had it at the start of the season. Beating Barca and City in pre season. Showing character in the West Brom game, trouncing Spurs after a difficult first half, and then topping it off by handing Arsenal their heaviest ever defeat!

And all achieved playing high quality devastating football!

What more do some people want? :houllier:
  16. Aug 28, 2011

iSparky Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad

:lol::lol:
  17. Aug 28, 2011

bergen Author of gayest thread 07/08

:lol:
  18. Aug 28, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    True
  19. Aug 28, 2011

CentreForward Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil

If someone, the gaffer knows how to keep players' feet on the ground. Not so worried about that.

But supporters tend to get from way overexcited to we are doomed. It's the nature of being a fan

That said, Spurs and Arsenal are absolute shit and shaken at the moment. I am more worried about playing teams who come and park the bus, or playing them away...Both of the above teams came to play football and were wide open
  20. Aug 28, 2011

They wanted 8-0 :D
  21. Aug 28, 2011

Perspective goes both ways. People were saying we need this and that, and Anderson and Cleverely can't do that or this...but after today does that still hold true?
  22. Aug 28, 2011

Neutral BTV

Don't really care about perspective...we're fans on an internet forum if we were gonna be circumspect, not sure we'd be posting away here...

But,

one potential note of caution, in our three matches to date, we've let our opponents have 33 shots on target, 50+ shots overall. Obviously we've only conceded the 3 goals so far, and at least one of those was a howler.

Still it does show one area where we need to improve, the midfield while exciting going forward, is leaving tons of space behind.
  23. Aug 28, 2011

You bet. Damn you Evra and Johnny:mad:

hehehe
  24. Aug 28, 2011

If a team parks the bus, I think we're in the best shape we've been in for a good while. We've great width from fullback and from the wings. We've good close interchanging which drags teams around. We've runners from midfield which we've lacked as Scholes got older and we've got some good forwards. Welbeck is a plus. His headings added another dimension. We've Hernandez in behind. We've players fighting for places so we're in good shape. If We were Arsenal, then we'd have something to worry about. We have the best man to manage the squad.....
  25. Aug 28, 2011

How many from distance? Only Arsenal today really created chances of note (when we were in a good position btw) but they still had good players playing in the forward areas. How many did spurs have from 30+ yards? It was silly.
  26. Aug 28, 2011

gbgary Full Member

this god dammit! :D
  27. Aug 28, 2011

Laphroaig Full Member

"Beaten"? You're too polite. We've played them off the fecking park. We've absolutely torn them to pieces.
  28. Aug 28, 2011

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

You weren't very confident in the match forum before the game.
  29. Aug 28, 2011

apotheosis O'Fortuna

But then he saw that 8, now he's a believer, not a trace of doubt in his mind! :smirk:
  30. Aug 28, 2011

Siorac Full Member

No, I wasn't. That's why I'm even more thrilled.
  31. Aug 28, 2011

Number7 Ret's Slave

Our football this season in all 4 games has been utterly sublime, better than 06/07 even I think. Every player you look at and you think 'wow, this guys only .... years old' and the potential is ridiculous. Rooney seems like he's been around an age, and he's only 20 bloody 5!

Our home form is insane and I can't see that changing all season. My only concern, still, is the away form. Even against West Brom when we started brilliant for 20 minutes, we gradually lost a bit of control and that's a worry. Despite this lingering concern, the potential of this team far outstrips any worries at this moment in time and to be honest watching us so far this season couldn't have been much better.
  32. Aug 28, 2011

mu77 Full Member

the keel is the experienced players like - giggs , park , berba , rio , vida , evra, carrick owen and fletcher. and other young but vastly experienced players like rooney , nani , young and velencia.
  33. Aug 28, 2011

Agree completely. Some of the most fluent football I've seen us play, possibly the most. There is an authority and cohesiveness I'm seeing in the football that is amazing.
  34. Sep 27, 2011

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

So....Perspective. Good word that. Whichever way you want to look at it.
  35. Sep 27, 2011

BAMSOLA Has issues!

Was thinking the same. tonight was the type of performance we normally put in after walking through the first 3 group games.

The fact that it has come in the second game doesn't really make a difference, i'd still expect us to wipe the floor with benfica at home and Basel away as well as gulati in both ties making tonights result redundant.
  36. Sep 27, 2011

Bit disappointing that the quick, short passing exchange style hasn't carried on since the first 4 games or so. I really loved that style of play but I guess it needs specific players to work.
  37. Oct 23, 2011

Bloxy Why does it always rain on me?

Looking through this thread and what people were thinking after we hammered Arsenal and Spurs etc, does today's result give some perspective to our early season success?
  38. Oct 23, 2011

Bloxy Why does it always rain on me?

what do we know about football hey?
  39. Oct 23, 2011

Number7 Ret's Slave

whoops

I said today if we get through this game we wouldn't lose all season at OT. Now we've lost I expect us to not drop many more points at home. We've played all the top teams other than Liverpool so I hope that's a safe bet :nervous:

Concerned about Everton away though it's not the place to go needing to get back on track.
  40. Oct 23, 2011

Radamel FalCinao Shagawa Baby!

Bloxy wins