Peter Schmeichel: United regret we didn't give David Moyes more time

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Suedesi, Feb 11, 2019 at 04:54.

1. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:31

stevoc Full Member

Definitely we were much better vs the big sides, saying those years were wasted is nonsense. In 34 league games under Moyes we only managed 2 scrappy wins vs the top 10 that year never mind the top 6. That was pathetic.
  2. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:41

DLE Alternative for Docklands Light Rail

Oh really? The predecessor of Ole at Old Trafford was Mourinho and sacked “because of failure”. Ole has however changed as little as possible. Contrary to your argument:

''That was one of the mistakes I made at Cardiff,'' Ole admitted to Sky Sports. ''I wanted to go into my way straight away. So, Mick, me and Demps have come in and we didn’t want to change too much too early because with change there is always a danger that you do too much.''
  3. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:43

stevoc Full Member

I don't see how the two bolded parts of your post come together?

You agree Moyes wouldn't have got us in the CL or won a cup but you would have preferred him to Van Gaal. Both played shit on a stick football, but at least Van Gaal achieved something positive in both his seasons. I'm not sure we would have been better off avoiding the Van Gaal years and giving Moyes more time.

I agree Van Gaal did a lot of damage by gutting the squad and buying a load of dross some of which we are still trying to shift, but Moyes would have likely did similar. And i agree we should have got a manager more in tune with United's values.

But heres the problem while the great man was entitled to retire whenever he wanted and whichever way he wanted. It can't be overlooked that he basically gave United no notice, he never told the club he was stepping down until March 2013. It left the club scrambling without a real plan for the future as Ferguson had almost total control of the football side of things. Gill leaving at the same exacerbated the situation.

It lead to the Glazers and the board just allowing Ferguson to pick his successor, he chose poorly. We had to sack his pick and then we were left scrambling again Van Gaal was the best of the manager bunch available in 2014. At this point we should have started thinking about a DOF and looking at hiring a younger manager like Solskjaer or Pochettino. But instead we turned to Mourinho as the board probably understandably thought he was a sure thing to bring success. And Jose basically wanted the same amount of power and control that Ferguson had.
  4. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:44

Brophs The one and only

I see he’s trying to get another one of his son’s managers sacked. Someone should make him Leicester manager for the craic of it.
  5. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:48

Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær Lutefisk is it!

Moyes was a pretty big mistake but when you think about it, he was taking a poisoned chalice. No big name manager in their right mind was going to come in after Fergie. These days I see Moyes as a necessary evil. LvG is still clueless and Mourinho is a cnut.
  6. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:49

wolvored Full Member

Couldn't have put it better myself.
  7. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:49

Adebesi Full Member

I wish we'd given him more time.

More time in the Everton job.
  8. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:49

stevoc Full Member

Well i was referring to the comparison between Moyes taking over United and Solskjaer taking over Cardiff. Very different scenarios.

Solskjaer is an interim appointment at United Moyes wasn't. Moyes sacked first team coaches that had been at United working with Ferguson for years. Carrick and McKenna had only been working as 1st team coaches under Mourinho for a few months. The rest of Jose's coaching staff that had worked with him for years were sacked.

So while Solskjaer's decisions might have been based on his experience at Cardiff. I don't see how his decisions at Cardiff are comparable to Moyes poor decision to sack Fergusons successful coaching team.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 15:56
  9. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:52

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Makes sense that an ex city player would want Moyes at Old Trafford for as long as possible.
  10. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:57

Judas Open to offers

Honestly don't like his attitude whenever I see him talk about football these days, negative misery of a bloke. Shame, always loved him as a kid obviously, but I find myself rolling my eyes with most quotes of his I read.
  11. Feb 11, 2019 at 15:59

Alright then. But Ole seems to compare the two nevertheless, refers to learning from the Cardiff experience.
  12. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:01

stevoc Full Member

No doubt answering a question that was put to him because he re-hired Phelan and kept some of the current 1st team coaches on board when he took over.
  13. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:04

Adebesi Full Member

I agreed with some of the other stuff he was saying though. Especially his defence of the players against the accusation Keys was pushing quite hard, about player power and how members of his squad had downed tools to get him sacked, quite consciously. Of course, there is no way of knowing if that is the case. Perhaps it is. But Schmeichel's view was more that Mourinho was not using players according to their strengths, and that they were demotivated. I agree with him on that.
  14. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:21

Wasn’t he also sacked because he had lost all trust from the team?
  15. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:23

You’re a stubborn guy to argue with stevoc.
  16. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:23

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

David Moyes should have been fired before the first game of the season.

He was already well on the way to showing us all he was an inept clown with no idea what he doing during pre season.

He was fecking shit on a stick and was never EVER going to amount to anything regardless of how much time and money he was given because he didnt have a fecking clue.
  17. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:40

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    I know that it sounds hilarious, but this never happened. There's enough sticks out there to beat Moyes with, without making stuff up
  18. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:44

Suedesi Full Member

LVG had a clear idea about how he wanted the team to play and went about implementing it. I'd say he was unlucky in the way some of his big signings performed (Falcao, Schweinsteiger, di Maria), and I'd say he was too stubborn in managing the team / insisting on Rooney playing every match. However, you could tell he was a big coach and you could tell his imprint in the way United performed against other big teams. We eviscerated Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham under Van Gaal. And of course kept losing to Swansea. Repeatedly.

IMO it was LVG>Mourinho>Moyes on a scale of less shit to shit!
  19. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:48

Suedesi Full Member

Well, apparently Mourinho coveted the job in 2013 and was apoplectic when he was snubbed.
  20. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:48

Revan Assumptionman

Vidic more or less confirmed it, when he was directly asked about it.
  21. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:52

Revan Assumptionman

Not sure that LVG was better than Mourinho. Sure, Mourinho was toxic in the third year, but his first two years were arguably better than both LVG seasons.

We also defeated all big teams under Mourinho. In fact, I think that bar Chelsea (whom we defeated only once), we defeated all the other top 6 teams two or more times.
  22. Feb 11, 2019 at 16:59

stevoc Full Member

Haha i didn't know we were arguing, i thought we were having an amicable conversation. He said it in an interview, i think it's a fair assumption to make.
  23. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:02

stevoc Full Member

24. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:06

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
  25. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:06

Suedesi Full Member

Depends on the manner of those wins. When LVG's system clicked, we were a very good team. With Mourinho we were mostly winning ugly.

Toxicity apart, which really started when Jose was angling for an extension in January of 2018 and hit overdrive after the Sevilla bounce, I think Mourinho's return in terms of results was pretty poor given the investment outlay (Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Bailly, Zlatan, Lukaku, Matic, Sanchez, Lindelof, Fred).
  26. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:20

Revan Assumptionman

It clicked only once though. When we battered Liverpool, City, Spurs and Chelsea (though we only managed a draw against them, in a typical Jose display). Other than that, even when we went into a streak, it was mostly be sending the other team to sleep, and then scoring while they are still sleeping.

Not sure that Mourimho was backed more than LVG. He just went for less, but more expensive players, while Van Gaal signed a shitload of them.
  27. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:22

Kostov Full Member

It's not confirmed and it's just rumors, but it wouldn't be far off the realm of possibility considering what a moron the guy was.
  28. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:31

TheRedHearted New Member

I thought the story was that Fergie told him the job was his. Don’t think he even asked for it. Don’t think he thought he was ready or could do it. Saw it in his eyes, really. Him not taking Fergies advice on the backroom to me seemed like an act of defiance.
    In reality who should it have been? I can’t remember who was available. I know people said Jose was available and that was a different Jose than now but let’s throw that response out the window.
  29. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:35

jeff_goldblum Full Member

He was sacked after he lost the game which made Champion's League football mathematically impossible. To my knowledge, the stuff from Rio about senior players not respecting Moyes didn't come out until after he'd gone, so I doubt that was in Woodward's head when the decision was made. Most likely what was in Woodward's head was that he was the new CEO of a team in free-fall and had made a clown of himself in the two transfer windows since he was appointed. He'd been hired specifically for his ability to grow the value of the club rather than because he knew the sport, which meant share prices plummeting by 1/5 under his charge was a severe risk to his position.

Ultimately I think Moyes' sacking was as much for Woodward's benefit as Manchester United's. We all knew we weren't making top-4, but the symbolism of the game which confirmed it being a loss against Everton was perfect. Ed couldn't have hoped for a better set of circumstances which screamed "Moyes is the problem" and took the pressure off himself. After that season we should have taken stock of the whole organisation and Woodward should have been shuttled off to make sponsorship deals as far away from the actual football as possible. Moyes' true crime was perhaps being so shit that by the end of the season we (and certainly the board) could barely smell that Woodward's trousers had been caked in it the whole time.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 17:43
  30. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:45

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

He starts off refusing to let Richard Keys talk his shite about modern players and this mad idea the Utd players stabbed Mourinho in the back and you think "oh good Schmeichel is talking sense for once"

And then he says we should have given Moyes more time.

What a clown.
  31. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:47

RedIan Full Member

I think we were right to sack him. His attempts in the transfer market were painful, We may blame woodward FOR THAT but no one wanted to come and play for Moyes except Fellani.
    He's "managed" 3 clubs since he was fired from United - Real socidad, West ham and Sunderland, All Epic fails.

His stats show his win rate was actually highest at United 52% Everton was 48% and then down hill from there.
  32. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:51

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

This.
  33. Feb 11, 2019 at 17:54

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    More time? We gave the bugger too much.
  34. Feb 11, 2019 at 18:02

SungSam7 New Member

If he really gave a hoot about United, he wouldn't have even captained City or had his son in their academy, along with Paul Ince and Mark Hughes, I think their legacy is tarnished when they play for bitter rivals!

If Moyes was given the boot too early according to him, how does he explain Moyes's disasters later?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2019 at 19:39
  35. Feb 11, 2019 at 18:24

Rista Full Member

Wow do some people have short memories! Things weren't great under LVG but we were absolutely diabolical under Moyes. There is no contest whatsoever. Anyone saying we should have given him more time instead of hiring LVG should rewatch any of our matches against decent opposition. How would giving someone so out of his depth another year give us more stability?? If anything, we gave him too much time.
  36. Feb 11, 2019 at 18:26

Suedesi Full Member

Yes, that's the period between March and April 2015 when we played Spurs, Liverpool and City and beat them all comfortably. We actually lost to Chelsea after a Hazard counter giving Mourinho the opportunity to jibe about sterile domination. Nevertheless, we finished the season on a real high, but we weren't able to build on that the following season, due in part, to a typically poor transfer campaign. That summer we went after Ramos, Bale, Mueller and ended up with Depay and Darmian, which is not on Louis, but on the board/owners/CEO.

Also, during LVG reign, we beat City away, Arsenal home and away, won the FA Cup, and he promoted/gave minutes to Lingard, Wilson, Blackett, CBJ, McNair, TFM etc. In particular in Martial and Rashford you could see a glimpse of the future, which was exciting. Finally, I'd take Louis personality and news conferences over Mourinho every week. There's something about that Portuguese accent that just grates me. It might sound petty, but preferences many times are :)
  37. Feb 11, 2019 at 18:27

stevoc Full Member

Vidic never denied it either though when asked directly about that rumour.

So i don't think anyone can with 100% confidence say it was made up and that it didn't happen unless they were present at the club around that time.

Having said that if it did happen i don't think it's that bad. I don't think theres anything wrong with him showing United's defenders videos of how he had defenders working together at Everton if he wanted Ferdinand and Vidic to replicate those instructions.
  38. Feb 11, 2019 at 18:33

RG 11 Full Member

From the article:
    Ferdinand laughed off the claim when it was put to him two years ago, but admitted in his book he told Vidic after a video session with Moyes: 'I don't know what the f**k he just asked us to do.'

You're right that neither of them outright confirmed it but there's plenty of confirmation reading between the lines. And it just aligns with Moyes as a character.

He wouldn't even let the poor lads have chips :lol:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-claims-former-manchester-united-9733136.html
  39. Feb 11, 2019 at 18:35

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Supports:
    Free Speech
    Moyes tried to turn Manchester United into Everton.

Forgetting that Everton are shit
  40. Feb 11, 2019 at 18:38

Kag Full Member

It bothers me that just about every time an ex-United player speaks it generally seems to be total bollocks.

Jamie Carragher has us pegged better than just about any pundit on television, and he’s a scouser. That can’t be right.