PFA PL Team of The Year

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Pogue Mahone, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Apr 21, 2017

Jippy Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes

There probably is an element of English bias, eg Cahill and Kane. Ultimately, it's all irrelevant really.
    Scholes never won POTY, which I'd liken to the Silva situation. He is one of your players who I think most oppo fans like, or at least admire. Aguero too to an extent, albeit less so after some of his antics in the last year or so. Any team would've ripped your arm off for peak Silva or Aguero.
  2. Apr 21, 2017

padr81 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Scholes is a shocker to be honest. Best english midfielder possibly of all time, my life time anyway.
  3. Apr 21, 2017

Yep, just with possibly more subtle influence on games than Lampard or Stevie G.
    Rio, Vida or Kompany never won it either- all rocks in their day. Not sure Viera ever did? I'm sure loads of fans feel their players have been overlooked tbh.
  4. Apr 21, 2017

Pink Moon Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Marcos Alonso has been better than Danny Rose.
  5. Apr 21, 2017

Pink Moon Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Better than Gazza?
  6. Apr 21, 2017

MrMarcello Full Member

Scholes should have won the award in 2002-03 season. He was the key to the turnaround that season IMO.
  7. Apr 21, 2017

Yagami Full Member

One of my favourite United teams/seasons ever. Possibly my favourite Scholes, too, with him just behind Ruud, and in front of Keane & Butt/Veron.
  8. Apr 21, 2017

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Cahill and DDG shouldn't be in there.

Lloris, Alder' both better shouts. Courtois could also feel aggrieved.

Ibra for Lukaku perhaps but that's a tougher argument.
  9. Apr 21, 2017

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    Only in goals scored, otherwise Rose has been better.
  10. Apr 21, 2017

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Surprised that Sanchez and Alderweireld have missed out but other than that, an expected team really. DDG's in there more because he's better in general, rather than had a better season, admittedly it should be someone like Lloris/Heaton this season.
  11. Apr 25, 2017

Mike09 Banned

Still can't figure it out how a team who can't keep a clean sheet for 4 months can have 2 of their centre backs in PFA Team of The Year. I can understand Azpillicueta, Kante, Hazard or even Alonso but Luiz and Cahill??
  12. Apr 25, 2017

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Because they are going to win the title and that is usually good for atleast two spots in the PFA team of the year defense. And didn't they have a good run of clean sheets during that winning run.
  13. Apr 26, 2017

Mike09 Banned

If there is one defender from Chelsea who deserves it, it would have been Azpi. Whenever I watched Chelsea's games in PL this season, he's rarely a prone error. While Cahill and Luiz are just too prone errors and could have cost them 3 points a lot this season if Hazard didn't perform.
  14. Apr 26, 2017

Mike09 Banned

If that's the case then why Costa is not in list then? He had a poor run for not scoring like 5-6 games in a row. But he had a good run of scoring consistently during first half of season. I am shocked that they only see the one month good run of clean sheets but ignoring the fact that they have yet make a clean sheet for 4 months already now.

Valencia Alderweireld Vertonghen Alonso.

That should be the back four of PFA Team of The Year. But it looks to me they prefer to put more 'British' people.
  15. Apr 26, 2017

Because it is lot easier to quantify a striker's impact. When it comes to defenders people usually reward the ones on winning teams. See why Ramos and Pique make the World Team of the Year every year.
  16. Apr 26, 2017

Aza Boy New Member

Why is that ?

Mane played with Genius Coutinho, Hardworking Allen/Can, and Unpredict Firmino...with the mighty Coach Jurgen Klopp...Oh and no European football also...

Sanchez in the other hand played with Lazy Ozil, Donkey Giroud, and Can't Finished-Walcott...with the Old Fashion Tactician Arsene Wenger...

Sanchez over Mane all night and day...If he is free and have a will to come to Man Utd, i'll accept him instantly...
  17. Apr 26, 2017

Mike09 Banned

Which means the way how they pick their players are:
    1)Take players from the team who won the league or 2nd place.
    2) If they can't decide no 1, then they will take players who are British.

I bet if Chelsea didn't keep a single clean sheet in the whole season, both Cahill and Luiz would still be there.

PFA is ridiculous since 2011.
  18. Apr 26, 2017

It's one where stats really don't matter as they don't show all that much.

I'd put DDG's 20+ yard passes above anyone's. He's got arguably the best first touch of any top goalkeeper and also has the smallest difference between left and right foot. That doesn't get illustrated by any stat used.

Lloris passes to his centre backs and full backs far more often than De Gea does. I assume it's because their coach tells them to do different things. That alone destroys any usefulness of passing stats.

(This isn't a critique of the Frenchman just in case anyone thought that).
  19. Apr 26, 2017

What happened in 2011?
  20. Apr 26, 2017

Oh I just realized 2000 born Fulham LB Ryan Sessegnon made the team for the Championship. Younger than Shaw and Bale were when they made their first PFA teams.
  21. Apr 26, 2017

Seij Full Member

Courtois, Heaton, Pickford all have had a better season than ddg although I would never replace ddg with any of them.

Alderweireld has been a much better player than Cahill this year. Some Chelsea fans were even happy about Cahill being out so that Ake can take his place. Also, Eriksen has been Spurs' best player and is closer to being an actual midfielder although he's not a English darling so he misses out to Kane and Alli. Also, I'd say Sanchez and Alonso deserve a spot over Mane and Rose.
  22. Apr 26, 2017

Spurs' centre backs and full backs see far more of the ball than ours. Lloris makes oodles of simple passes to them as they don't get it forward as quickly as we do. He does the things his manager asks him to do very very well. I don't think Poch would ask De Gea to hit longer passes just because he knows he can.
  23. Apr 26, 2017

Jayvin Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Vidic did win it didn't he?
  24. Apr 26, 2017

Mike09 Banned

Check out who won the PFA Player of The Year. And who do you think should have won it?
  25. Apr 26, 2017

Mike09 Banned

He won the Barclays Player of The Season and I think he won it twice. But he never won PFA Player of the year.
  26. Apr 26, 2017

Vidic probably but, Bale winning was defensible. There was not a lot of strong candidates that season.
  27. Apr 26, 2017

roonster09 Full Member

Exactly. Even mental that some Chelsea fans think Azpi is the best defender in the league, some say Luiz and Kante is the best midfielder in the league in defensive work, Courtois as the best GK and yet they can't keep clean sheet anymore.
  28. Apr 26, 2017

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Good team but why the inisistence of voting in January?
  29. Apr 26, 2017

30. Apr 26, 2017

Kentonio Full Member

Luiz has made exactly zero mistakes leading to a goal this season. Classic example of reputation over accuracy.
  31. Apr 26, 2017

Kentonio Full Member

Its only the shortlist in January isn't it?
  32. Apr 26, 2017

Synco Full Member

I also like the way he acts as a transition player, intercepting passes, then using his forward momentum and skill to penetrate midfield and play a sharp pass between the opponent's lines. He's been really good this season.
  33. Apr 26, 2017

msudip060 Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Two sets of fans having a slightly different or biased opinion. Oh what a surprise!

Luiz has been the best CB this season. Azpi is underrated like hell by some people. He is the one player who will keep his place in the starting 11 for years to come. Alderweireld or Azpi should have been in in place of Cahill otherwise the PFA team is quite correct.
  34. Apr 26, 2017

roonster09 Full Member

2 CBs in the team of the year makes no sense considering their defensive record compared to Spurs and ManUtd.
  35. Apr 26, 2017

youngrell New Member

You do realise that Mane was selected ahead of Sanchez, and I was saying that it should probably have been Sanchez instead, right?
  36. Apr 26, 2017

Mike09 Banned

Vidic should have won it without question. He was crucial in our defense and also scored goals. And he had no problems played alongside young Smalling. He won the Barclays player of the season and he should have won the PFA.
  37. Apr 26, 2017

Mike09 Banned

I can't see how Luiz and Chelsea defense being the best when they can't even keep just one clean sheet in the last 4 months. Luiz Lost one on one with the likes of non top player like Benteke and Rashford. Both Alderweiereld and Vertonghen should be ahead of him and Cahill imo.
  38. Apr 28, 2017

Mike09 Banned

He was being out of position and made poor decision making by leaving Giroud unmarked and decided to go to the ball which clearly he had zero chance to block the cross as a result Arsenal scored.
    He lost one on one Vs Benteke and Palace scored.
    He couldn't handle Rashford. There are more I can mention, and obviously those are three examples of many errors that people ignore them. Very classy indeed.
  39. Apr 29, 2017

msudip060 Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    No defender ever makes mistakes,right.Very classy indeed. If i try and nit pick errors made by world's best CB's you will see dozens of them.It's a pity that a CB's mistakes are highlighted so much (given it is a position closer to the goal and generally results in goals) but a Striker can miss good chances and score yet he will be let off. Fair enough reasons for this but it's still difficult for a CB to escape scrutiny.
  40. Apr 29, 2017

Mike09 Banned

Very classy as I have come across with a lot of people who don't read post.
    I never stated that defenders shouldn't make mistakes. I was talking about Luiz didn't deserve in the list since there are other defenders who deserves better than him. That's why I mentioned that if there is one Chelsea defender I could pick from the back three it will only be Azpilicuetta as he's been solid, consistent and less prone error compared to Cahill and Luiz.
    And both Alderweireld and Vertonghen are less prone errors than Luiz that's why they should have been in PFA Team of the year.