Phil Jones

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Baby Faced Assassin, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Jun 14, 2011

charleysurf Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

Because he's a little fat perhaps.
  2. Jun 14, 2011

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

That's outstanding; bitterness on a whole new level.
  3. Jun 14, 2011

Inigo Montoya Full Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uncanny resemblance
  4. Jun 14, 2011

Chirag Euro '08 League Winner

5. Jun 14, 2011

::sonny:: Full Member

Jizz in my pants
  6. Jun 14, 2011

Lynk Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

------------De Gea-----------
    Rafael---Smalling--Jones--Fabio

:drool:
  7. Jun 14, 2011

I'm always right Banned

We really did steal Smalling from Fulham, what a player. Looked head and shoulders above the rest at the weekend.
  8. Jun 14, 2011

Skywarden Full Member

That is tasty, indeed.
  9. Jun 14, 2011

::sonny:: Full Member

Smalling>Rio
    Jones>Vidic

We are fine for the next 10/12 yrs :drool:
  10. Jun 14, 2011

Lynk Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

Aye. Thing was, many of us were wondering why we signed Smalling initially, as he looked slightly accident prone for Fulham in his last months. But the past year have shown it to be an inspired signing.

In Fergie we trust.
  11. Jun 14, 2011

Jaap Full Member

Chris is the new Rio - Jones looks great, he will improve under Fergie's guidance whilst playing alongside world-class players, no doubt. Will be interesting where exactly he will be utilised though.

@ 1:34 What a ball!
  12. Jun 14, 2011

Commadus Banned

SAF is pretty useful judge when it comes to younger players

Smalling
    Twins
    Hernandez
    Nani

Jury still out
    Anderson
    Jones - too early to say either way
  13. Jun 14, 2011

Inigo Montoya Full Member

Inexperienced player makes mistakes... shock!
  14. Jun 14, 2011

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Vidic with pace :drool:
  15. Jun 14, 2011

beycont Full Member

Smalling's really good...we should sign him up...
  16. Jun 14, 2011

ben_foster On Loan to Watford

i think that this very much helped smalling. i couldnt see the point in the signing. i didnt think he was good enough and therefore didnt really expect much.

smalling slipped under the media radar at the start of his united career and when he got the chance he had no billing, nothing to live up to. so he just went out...defended well, kept it simple. i think it was quite clear to see his confidence grow. initially he cleared his lines by simple thumping it into the stands and re group him. as he settled he showed alot more composure on the ball and started bringing the ball out. perfect debut season for the ad really as he was pretty much faultless. however.......i would expect a bit of a blip this year at some point and its important how he reacts.

phil jones is going to be very different. ive already read how he willl be england captain in a couple of years. he's rio and terry/vidic rolled into one. he's a super pro, he's quick, he's strong, he's good on the ball, he's 19 and he's english. from what i have read / heard in the media this boy is faultless and sounds a bargain at £16m or £20m what ever it is.

like many on here im not going to claim to have seen much of him. ive seen him against us and against city when for long spells blackburn where backs to the wall defending and jones looked good. people tell me he is great on the ball too.......and he'l have to be as we dont spend long defeding for our lives.

what i suppose im saying is that i hope jones doesnt think he has to justify the hype. if he thinks he has to prove he's worth the money and the media hype in his first couple of games a daft mistake could leave to a poor game and then a run of poor games which could destroy him. so i hope that this over the top excitement and expectation levels die down abit.

the same goes for de gea....should he eventually sign!

the forgotten man in this is johnny evans. personally.........at 19 he was head and shoulders above both smallin and jones. hopefully he has had his blip in form and will come out next season and improve on an already very promising centre half.

the future of the back 4 ilooks very very good. just expect de gea, fabio, smalling and jones to make mistakes.....beacuase they definatley will and when they do dont criticise to the exageration of how brilliant they are at the minute!! hopefully rafa and evans will be more complete this season and will have learned from there experiences and mistakes and hopefully the others follow suit.
  17. Jun 14, 2011

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Ok
  18. Jun 14, 2011

Commadus Banned

Don't like the comparisons to JT - he's a slower and less useful version of Vidic. I don't call it bravery putting your head where players wouldnt even put their foot - its stupidity trying to cover up deficiencies in ability ala carragher.
  19. Jun 14, 2011

mufcwarm92 Full Member

Don't agree with that at all. I'm not saying it's just you but there's a strange tendency on this forum to underrate the talents of John Terry. As a person I fecking despise him, but as a player he's an undeniably class defender and has been amongst the top 5-8 in his position for the past 6 years. He also gets criticised for being useless on the ball but that is not true at all, he's probably a better ball player than Vidic, albeit an inferior defender.

Jones is only 19 and has years ahead of him, but if he ever goes on the replicate Terry's career, abilities and achievements, we'll have one hell of a centre half on our hands. I think the comparison between the two is a great one, personally.
  20. Jun 14, 2011

Commadus Banned

Terry prior to his back injury and problems was a top defender at his peak he was very good but like Rio injuries have taken its toll and now though he is still good his positioning has been poor as his overall play. It wasn't until he was alongside a pacy defender ie Luiz that helped him out. Terry likes to attack the first ball and needs someone to cover around the back for him. Usually he had Carvalho and Makelele to do this but after both left Essien did this but after his injuries took a toll on him Terry became more and more exposed.

To play against top sides like Barca you need very mobile defenders - its why Arsenal actually did pretty good against them. However in the EPL you need big powerful defenders and its why Arsenal conceded a higher percentage of goals from set pieces than anyone else.
  21. Jun 14, 2011

mufcwarm92 Full Member

I don't really disagree with any of that, but the likes of Rio and Terry, despite being past their peak, are brilliant players. It doesn't change the fact that I'd be delighted if Jones ever matched Terry.
  22. Jun 14, 2011

Commadus Banned

Yeah - it's a shame both Rio and terry have been hit by injuries that have affected their games. They still are excellent defenders but we shouldn't make any illusions that they are on the downward curve.

As to Jones - time will tell but he seems capable but we all know players develop at different speeds.

Too many will assess Jones progress against that of Smalling who I think progress has been nothing short of exceptional only better by the phenomenal Hernandez.

As long as Jones stays clear of injury - then he could go on to surpass many peoples expectations.
  23. Jun 14, 2011

DFreshKing Full Member

He does remind me of a young John Terry no doubt. Sickens me to say it but that is very good thing, especially if he has a bit more natural pace.
  24. Jun 14, 2011

VoetbalWizard Banned

:lol:

I think the verdict will be somewhere in the middle. Don't want to burden the young lad with the pressure to become as good as desailly.
  25. Jun 14, 2011

Ace Full Member

From Twitter
  26. Jun 14, 2011

Plan M Banned

Smalling will turn into one of the best centre back's in world football, the lad has got it all :drool:

Am I getting carried away? No!
  27. Jun 14, 2011

Baby Faced Assassin Pastor of Muppets

Really?
  28. Jun 14, 2011

Name Changed weso26

This made me laugh out loud, and I don't really know why.

If Jones is in the same mould as Richard Dunne, then I'll be happy. I just hope he's better..
  29. Jun 14, 2011

Name Changed weso26

You could have a list a players who have been equally as unsuccessful. A lot of it comes down to luck.
  30. Jun 14, 2011

Sir A1ex Full Member

Wow, is it me or is that the most incoherent gibberish ever written on the internet?
  31. Jun 14, 2011

Spoony The People's President

Written by a five year old kid. I wasn't able to read it all, proper nauseating stuff.
  32. Jun 14, 2011

Sir A1ex Full Member

Only about half the sentences actually made any sense at all, but I got the general gist I guess.:lol:
  33. Jun 14, 2011

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Either that's written by a 3 year old or it is a massive WUM by a United fan.

Seems everyone thinks they are a journalist these days. Who knows why? Journos are largely cnuts.
  34. Jun 14, 2011

Spoony The People's President

Reeked of self pity - check.
    Mentioned Fergie's knighthood - check
    Mentioned a club tragedy for no reason at all(what it had to do with BR, I don't know) - check.
  35. Jun 14, 2011

Bear Attack Full Member

I think he means Smalling will replace Rio and Jones will replace Vidic.

Don't worry, I was confused too.
  36. Jun 14, 2011

Diabo_Sam Full Member

Welbeck is so fast :eek:
  37. Jun 14, 2011

Godfather Full Member

fecking hell Smalling :drool:
  38. Jun 14, 2011

#07 Full Member

Last season whenever Vida and Rio were injured, rested or rotated I was very, very nervous. This video reassures me that from this point on we got nothing to worry about.

As we've seen with Evra there's only so many games you can play before you run out of gas and hardly anyone plays more than Vidic. Having Jones about gives us the option of being able to give him a rest so that he's fresh and firing at the business end of the season and in a few seasons we'll have a ready made replacement.

The future is bright, the future is red. ;)
  39. Jun 15, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I thought he was outstanding for the U-21s tonight. Himself and Smalling are already starting to build a formidable partnership.

Love the way they're willing to take it in turns to maraud forwards. They're both so quick, well-balanced and comfortable on the ball. Exciting times ahead.

We'll be a much fecking tougher nut to crack in next season's Carling Cup, that's for sure.
  40. Jun 16, 2011

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

He made a massive mistake in the 2nd half therefore "outstanding" is too much.