Pick your England squad for the 2012 Euros

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Brophs, Feb 8, 2012.

1. May 23, 2012

jeff_goldblum Full Member

The press (and the majority of England fans I imagine) would slate it for being too-United dominated but realistically that team would be far more successful than anything Roy could make out of the squad he's chosen.

If I was choosing the first XI 'purely on footballing reasons' I'd go for

Richards--Rio--Terry--Baines/Cole
    -------Scholes--Carrick------
    Sturridge---Rooney---Young
    -----------Welbeck----------

Replace Sturridge with Oxlaide-Chamberlain if he can't do the defensive side of that role.

Scholes and Carrick have been the most successful midfield partnership in English football this season probably, if memory serves we won every game bar one or two draws with that midfield. People might criticise the lack of pace or energy there but if they're that successful in the high-tempo Premier League there's no reason they couldn't do it in International football.

Young, Rooney and Welbeck should be a certainty when Rooney's back, in my opinion the Rooney-Welbeck combo is one of the strongest things England have going for them.
  2. May 23, 2012

B20 Giggsy! Giggsy! Giggsy!

Nice one, Martin.

I have no idea why Roy loves our players so much.
  3. May 23, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Apparently he's all about relentless, repetitive defensive drills to get all the players locked into his preferred system of play. I guess he thinks that selecting players he's already worked with before will help him get his ideas across a bit quicker.
  4. May 23, 2012

Nick 0208 Ldn News 24

Hodgson clearly places a lot of emphasis on the opinions of club managers,therefore Mancini's reluctance to turn to Richards at the sharp end of the season is going to count against him quite badly. Which is before you overcome the matter of his positional sense at full back.
  5. May 30, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

I was expecting Hodgson to start with a midfield 3 of Parker, Barry and Gerrard for our toughest games, without Barry I would think that Carrick would be the obvious choice to replace him in the starting line up.

If reports that Carrick would accept a place in the team if he was a starter are true, if I was Hodgson I'd give him that spot. Especially while Rooney in out, it would make sense to play 433/451 and have 3 central midfielders out there.

I suppose it's quite possible that the reports are nonsense though and Carrick isn't willing to play even if he's starting. But if England start Milner or Lampard over Carrick to partner Parker and Gerrard in a midfield 3, then Hodgson may well be doomed as England manager.

Unless Wilshere gets healthy soon and solves all these midfield selection problems. Sadly we're stuck with Gerrard in midfield, I fear, until he retires, being captain and all.
  6. Jun 15, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Rooney - Welbeck
    OxCh - Cleverley - Wilshere - Walcott
    Baines - Jones - Smalling - Walker
    Hart​

Sturridge - Carroll
    Young - McEachran - ??? - Milner
    Gibbs - ??? - ??? - Richards

Sinclair

So much quality there for the next few years.
  7. Jun 15, 2012

SilentWitness Everton fan

I think Barkley will be better than Cleverley.
  8. Jun 15, 2012

prateik City Fan

I think you are wrong.
  9. Jun 15, 2012

Brophs The one and only

McEachran has a lot to prove. I don't think he's anything like nailed on to be a top player.
  10. Jun 15, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Maybe not, but there are players like Rodwell and Henderson who could yet come good. There are those Chelsea players Hutchinson and Bertrand to add to the defence.

Has the makings of a very high quality, and complimentary, England team in my opinion.

The one thing I am very worried about is Welbeck getting a career ending injury. He seems the type.
  11. Jun 15, 2012

Fair enough, how much have you seen of Barkley? It's all hypothetical of course and being brilliant at youth/reserve doesn't mean you'll ace at the senior level but he is way too good for them and it's holding him back as he takes the piss which isn't good for his development. He came into our first team and was probably motm on his debut at 17. I'm 90% sure he won't go the way of Rodwell too.

EDIT: I think Barkley will be better than Rodwell too, plus at least good enough to be an England first choice sub if not starter.
  12. Jun 15, 2012

Carl has permanently erect nipples

I admire your optimism Robo.
  13. Jun 15, 2012

Carl has permanently erect nipples

"our"? Everton fan SW?
  14. Jun 15, 2012

Yep.
  15. Jun 16, 2012

ravelston Full Member

If anything, Chalobah looks more likely to be the real deal than McEachran.
  16. Jun 16, 2012

ricky-romeo Full Member

McEachran does not look like a special player in the making at all. all he got is a neat left foot and passes well. seems to be too lightweight as well.
  17. Jun 16, 2012

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Also Steven Caulker from Spurs, who was a key part of Swansea's defence last season (they conceded only 2 more goals than Arsenal and only 5 more than Chelsea).
  18. Jun 16, 2012

RedSky Matt Smith's sinister twin

He looks a prospect! Caulker and Walker. You're being spoiled at Spurs of late! :p