Pick your England squad for the 2012 Euros

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Brophs, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Apr 17, 2012

Plan M Banned

Agreed, we're overrating Clev just a wee bit of late.
  2. Apr 17, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

You definitely need to take both Walker and Richards, I'd rather see a central defence of Cahill, Lescott or Jagielka than the ilk of Ferdinand or Terry. And Baines ahead of Cole at Left Back.

You might say that that defence will be ripped apart by the Germans, Dutch or Spanish, which is likely true but the harmony of the squad would be better, and it's players who give you something different and give everything for the team
  3. Apr 17, 2012

FortBoyard Full Member

Assuming that all things are equal, who'd want to
    Cahill, Lescott and Jagielka just ain't up to the standard needed.

In a few years Jones, Smalling etc can take that mantle but what is wrong with playing 30 something defenders.

Although as I typed I just remembered the bloody race issue.

In which case I'd rather Terry-King or Ferdinand-King over anyone else. You have to pick the best players available.
  4. Apr 17, 2012

Brophs The one and only

Very unfair on Rio who's well established as probably the most popular member of the squad. A lot of the players have spoken about the unifying effect his presence has, particularly between the players from the London clubs and the others. If he doesn't go it might be down to footballing reasons, but if he isn't picked due to the issue with Terry then I'd say it'd be a very sad way to close out what was a fantastic international career.
  5. Apr 17, 2012

davisjw Full Member

I hope I misunderstood the joke. King has been God awful. Ferdinand has been fine and will start based on his leadership. The only way Terry is starting is if the FA bring in some oldie. Might as well toss Carragher in there just in case someone gets injured.
  6. Apr 17, 2012

FortBoyard Full Member

Assuming that all things are equal, who'd want to
    King is a superior player to Cahill, Lescott and Jagielka and I'll take that to the grave.
  7. Apr 17, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    What's the benefit of having a happy squad if they get knocked out the first round? Experience is vital in international matches, and I don't see the likes of Cahill/Lescott/Jag dealing with situations in a satisfactory manner.

Personal disagreements need to be put aside, and they just need to concentrate on playing football.
  8. Apr 17, 2012

lysglimt Full Member

Is it just me or will this on paper be the weakest England-squad we have seen going into a championship ? All previous championships I have looked at the first 11 and thought - that is pretty decent. This time I am thinking - wannabe and has-beens - nowhere near good enough. And I hope to God I am wrong!
  9. Apr 17, 2012

sammsky1 Full Member

Given all the mess, can't see Terry being picked under any circumstances.

On that logic, Rio has to go. He gets into the squad on merit anyway as he has shown no signs whatsoever of his recurring injury problems.

Agree to a degree about Cleverley, but given Wilshire is out, makes sense to allow a young inexperienced player in his place.
  10. Apr 17, 2012

I'd actually take him, but not start him. He is 33, the likelihood is he won't be around for the next World Cup. The other three I mentioned are all in their mid 20's, peaking in terms of their ability and sorely overlooked time and time again by England.

Well as we tried that two years ago and as England couldn't beat Algeria I'd try things differently this time. Experience mean's sod all when you play your best team, do shite, and then get knocked out against the Germans. Two of those players have already been in the team that beat Spain, or should I say "restricted" Spain as they are defenders.

Baines has been the best left back over this season, possibly, Terry is a wanker, Ferdinand is injury prone, Walker and Richards have been the best right backs.
  11. Apr 17, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

I think King has been a brilliant defender when fit, but he has looked so far off the pace recently he can't possibly be considered. Terry is Cancer.

Assuming we're playing 4231.

Milner doesn't make the cut because I don't know his best position, and if it's CM he's not good enough with the ball. I'd rather take Britton and there's always one player everyone complains about so he can lump it this time. It's tragic that without Wilshere we haven't got much else to choose from under age 30. Barry can feck off, I'd rather take Jonjo Shelvey.

Gerrard has got steadily worse since he returned, so I'm forced to pick an improved Lampard. Johnson is a bit younger than Lennon, but I'm not so sure who's the least shit anymore. Walcott as far forward as possible, so it's 3 strikers and Rooney.

Hart, ?, ?

Walker, Richards, Smalling, Cahill, Jagielka, Ferdinand, Cole, Baines

Scholes, Britton Parker, Carrick,

Johnson Chamberlain, Rooney, Lampard, Young,

Sturridge, Walcott, Welbeck,

That was really hard :(

We're fecked.
  12. Apr 17, 2012

manutddjw Full Member

If I were English, my main concern would be if Andy Carroll continues scoring until the end of the season. Some idiot might overlook the fact that he is shit and pick him for the Euro's.
  13. Apr 17, 2012

Lawman Full Member

Hart, Foster, Robinson/Green

Walker, Richards, Smalling, Cahill, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Baines

Scholes, Gerrard, Parker, Carrick, Jones

Johnson, Chamberlain, Rooney, Young,

Sturridge, Walcott, Welbeck,
  14. Apr 17, 2012

Zen Full Member

Team for game 1.

Hart
    Walker-Rio-Smalling-Cole
    Scholes-Carrick
    Walcott-Gerrard-Young
    Welbeck

Foster, Green, Jones, Terry, Cahill, Baines, Parker, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sturridge, Defoe, Rooney

Thats 22.

Richards, King, Barry, Cleverley, Lennon, Adam Johnson, Carroll, Crouch prolly make up the 30 and try and impress for the last spot for the final team.

Richards prolly not in because Walkers been better mostly, and in Smalling and further back Jones, you have 2 back RB's for a desperate situation. And I wouldn't want Rio and Terry playing, as solid as they have been at times, its not the right pair now, go with either team pair of Cahill-Terry(more likely) or Rio-Smalling/Jones. Gerrard like for like for Rooney and rest just makes sense.
  15. Apr 19, 2012

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

Why can we never go in a tournament without problems :confused:

1) We're losing our coach four months before the start of the tournament.
    2) 6 weeks before the start of the tournament.........we don't have a replacement for Capello.
    3) Terry case
    4) Rooney banned for the first two games.
    5) Injury problems (Wilshere, Bent, Rodwell)
  16. Apr 19, 2012

We should just get 5 English-Supporting members of the Caf to coach the team through the tournament. Has anyone suggested that to the FA?
  17. Apr 19, 2012

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Wouldn't say Bent and Rodwell are much of a problem....

Also, I think Sinclair and/or Jarvis deserve to go.
  18. Apr 19, 2012

I love Sinclair, but it would be harsh dropping another player. Although having said that it seems unlikely that Jones or Cleverley will go now, and Wilshere is meant to be out. Still those 3 aren't exactly in competition for Sinclair's place.
  19. Apr 19, 2012

What "other player" are you referring too? The only other left wing options are Young and Downing and I'd take Sinclair and Jarvis over Downing.
  20. Apr 19, 2012

Johnson and Young
  21. Apr 19, 2012

The same Johnson who doesn't play on the left wing? I know he's left footed but he only gets games from time to time and when he does it's on the right.

Not sure how he should get a place ahead of Sinclair and Jarvis who have both had good seasons on the left.

Sinclair in particular as he'd fit into the 4231/433 that England will surely (hopefully) play in the Summer.
  22. Apr 19, 2012

Well to add to Young and Johnson there would be Lennon and Walcott. I'm all up for taking Sinclair, but he hasn't had a senior England cap yet and Jarvis has only had one.

We will probably end up with Milner on the left sadly.
  23. Apr 19, 2012

Well hopefully they will at least be called up to the pre-tournament friendlies so we can have a look at them.

We should be taking in form players to the tournament.
  24. Apr 19, 2012

Wilshere is a massive miss.

Bent would be a good option for the first two games.

Rodwell and Baines (New injury blow) would be good options for the squad.

That's now 4 players (Baines is at least very doubtful)...........i don't see another nations with injury problems......yes Villa for Spain is but that is it.

I don't think Jarvis is good enough for England.

Sinclair has a little chance.

Young, A.Johnson and Walcott should be safe.

Another place is maybe open for Downing, Lennon, Oxlade-Chamberlain and maybe Sinclair.
  25. Apr 19, 2012

antihenry Full Member

Not for the solid part of the season he hasn't.
  26. Apr 19, 2012

Yeh Wilshere is a big miss of course. That's our only blow in terms of injuries though.

As for Jarvis. I think he's certainly good enough if England adopt a 442/4411 rather than the 433 I hope they will use. I'd probably have Young ahead of him but he'd be my second choice in that position. He's extremely under rated in my opinion and would give us some natural width on that side.
  27. Apr 21, 2012

28. Apr 21, 2012

:D woo
  29. Apr 21, 2012

jakec nightclub John Terry

David Grays birthday should be a holiday.
    Richards will go, no doubt about that.
  30. Apr 23, 2012

This was the topic on TalkSport earlier with it being St George's day. Given current form etc I think my team would be:

Hart
    Walker Terry Cahill Cole
    Carrick Parker
    Johnson Rooney Young
    Welbeck​

Replacing Rooney with either Gerrard or Lampard for the games he's suspended in and replacing Parker for Scholes if there is a God... :drool:

Not sure about right wing either....
  31. Apr 23, 2012

bosnian_red Full Member

Johnson is overrated, as most english players are. Saying that I'm not sure who else would go there, maybe Sturridge but he's off form, or Walcott. Again off form though. Rio ahead of Terry though easily. I'd have Smalling and Rio as the center backs, carrick and scholes in midfield and Rooney and Welbeck up top :lol: Not biased at all...

Hart
    Richards Rio Smalling Cole
    Walcott Carrick Scholes Young
    Rooney Welbeck

Gerrard for Rooney in the games he is suspended for and make it a midfield three. Maybe it would be too attacking but I think it would do good, considering the core of the team are our players and used to each other.
  32. Apr 23, 2012

^ Not sure Rio will cope with the amount of games played in such a short space of time.

May as well go with Cahill and Terry given they're building a partnership at Chelsea.
  33. Apr 23, 2012

bosnian_red Full Member

I'd bring him anyways, not play him every game but maybe like once in the group stages, and then start him in the knockouts. He is too good to be left out I feel.
  34. Apr 23, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Smalling certainly won't be starting. Not even sure if he'll make the squad given how little football he's played in the last 3 months.
  35. Apr 24, 2012

roseguy64 Full Member

Hart, 2 GKs

Richards, Walker/Johnson, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Ferdinand, Smalling, Terry/Jagielka/Jones

Carrick, Parker, Barry, Lampard, Milner

Walcott, Young, Johnson, Sturridge, Welbeck, Rooney, Defoe/Crouch

Pretty much a lottery for those positions where I have options. Could consider Gerrard but he's been off form and Lampard's added some decent play recently in addition to his ability to get goals so he would get the nod. Milner's versatile and can't think of any CM who's made a strong case to be in over him.
  36. Apr 24, 2012

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

Surprised so many are picking Terry. It's pretty clear by the way they wouldn't even step down to Capello over his inclusion that he will never play for England again.
  37. Apr 24, 2012

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

With all thats gone with Terry I think taking wouldn't have a negative impact. I just don't think he's a good person to have in the camp this time round. He's been playing very well of late too but you've got to look at the bigger picture, and for that I wouldn't take him.
  38. Apr 24, 2012

Solius Has a massive ginger bush

It's a real shame about Wilshere's injury hit season. I thought he'd be very good for us at the Euros.
  39. Apr 24, 2012

antihenry Full Member

I'm quite confident that barring an injury, Terry is a lock to be a part of the England squad.

The Capello/FA falling out was over the captaincy, not Terry's inclusion in the national team.
  40. Apr 24, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Terry will defo go IMO.

He is still probably your most important defender.