Picture of Maddie's suspected kidnapper revealed.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Nick 0208 Ldn, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Jan 20, 2008

Nick 0208 Ldn News 24

World Exclusive by Sara Nuwar

[​IMG]

This is the man suspected of snatching four-year-old Maddie McCann.

It is the FIRST detailed likeness of a stalker thought to have kidnapped the toddler. And it's based on sensational new clues unearthed by the News of the World.

As a massive new manhunt began last night a McCann family source said: "This is a stunning breakthrough.

A British woman who came face to face with the suspected Maddie McCann kidnapper revealed last night: "He made my blood run cold and gave me the creeps."

Granny Gail Cooper, 50, was staying just 600 YARDS from the McCann family's Portuguese holiday flat when she had THREE separate chilling encounters with the moustachioed mystery man.

After the News of the World probed her evidence further, McCann investigators analysed her detailed description.

It tied in uncannily with descriptions by family friend Jane Tanner of a man seen carrying a child in pink pyjamas from the resort of Praia da Luz the night Maddie vanished.

Based on Mrs Cooper's evidence an FBI-trained police artist produced the the FIRST detailed likenesses of the stalker—pictured above.

And last night, armed with the new pictures, detectives in Portugal and Britain were joined by Interpol in a desperate race to trace the suspect.

The man is 38 to 45, with sallow skin, lank dark hair, distinctive droopy moustache, large teeth and speaks broken English.

As the dramatic development raised the McCann family's hopes a source at the heart of the probe admitted: "This is a stunning breakthrough. We now have a manhunt. Where is this man now? We need to find him as soon as possible."

Over the last seven days Spanish private eyes Metodo 3 and the Find Madeleine campaign worked round the clock after the News of the World conducted a detailed review of the case. We studied all material in the public domain homing in on witness reports we felt had been overlooked.

When we spoke to Mrs Cooper at length it soon became clear vital clues were buried in her account of a "creepy man" loitering at the resort.

Two of her sightings were also witnessed by her husband. And we can also reveal that a NEW witness, a 12-year-old girl, has come forward to back up her story.

Mrs Cooper first spotted the man on the beach at Praia da Luz on April 20 at about 1pm when she went for lunch with friends at the Paraiso Restaurant.

Strange
    She said: "He was wandering about on the beach alone even though it was pouring down with rain. There wasn't another soul about. I watched him for a few minutes before I went back to chatting to my friends."

Later that day, at around 4pm, Mrs Cooper was startled to find the stranger knocking on the front door of her holiday villa.

She said: "He must have seen my husband leaving because the bell rang only seconds later.

"He flashed what he said was an identity card but it could have been anything.

"He seemed really strange. It was a warm afternoon but he was wearing khaki trousers or joggers, a T-shirt and a bomber jacket. He said he was collecting for an orphanage in nearby Espiche that was caring for three children whose parents had recently been killed in an accident on the main coast road.

"It just didn't add up. Everyone would have known if there had been a tragedy like that.

"The man was rambling and becoming agitated. He really unnerved me even though my two grown-up daughters and two grandchildren were with me.

"I thought he was a conman trying to pull a fast one."
    CREEPY: Gail saw weirdo 3 times

Mrs Cooper also said her eight-year-old grand-daughter had been playing on her own in the pool near the villa and was clearly visible from the road.

She added: "This man was very unpleasant and creepy. I'd put his age at 38 to 45. He was very scruffy and had a 70s-style black Mexican moustache.

"He wasn't Portuguese—I think he was North African, either Tunisian or Moroccan."

Mrs Cooper, a community healthcare co-ordinator from Newark, Notts, added: "In my job I have to assess people and make a judgement.

"My judgement is that this man was very suspicious and could have been the kidnapper everyone is searching for.

"I'd recognise him immediately if I saw him. His appearance has really stuck in my mind."

We can confirm the orphanage does NOT exist and that there is no evidence of the fatal car crash. Mrs Cooper saw the man a third time, two days later on April 22, as she lunched with her husband Jonathan at Bar Habana on the beach.

There was a children's outing there from the Mark Warner Ocean Club at the same time. The man was again alone and standing near the group of youngsters. Mrs Cooper said: "He looked odd and out of place."
    TIE-IN: Jane saw man with child

When Madeleine arrived at the resort just a week later, the youngster went to the beach three days in a row with the children's club, including May 3, the day of her disappearance.

Although Mrs Cooper rang police on May 7 and gave a statement at her home on May 21 she heard no more. But it is now clear how important her account—and the facial likeness built from it—may be. On the night Madeleine vanished from the apartment while parents Kate and Gerry—both Leicestershire doctors—were dining at a nearby tapas restaurant, family friend Jane Tanner saw a man carrying a child away from the apartment on foot at 9.10pm.

Jane has now told the McCanns: "The man in the new suspect picture strongly resembles the person I saw on May 3rd."

The sketch by qualified police artist Melissa Little, bears an uncanny resemblance to an earlier picture, based on Jane Tanner's story.

Last night the McCanns' spokesman Clarence Mitchell said the new image had been passed to officers from the Leicestershire Constabulary, Portuguese police and Interpol. They hope the hunt will also be joined by forces in Spain and Morocco.

Metodo 3 believe the kidnapper may have had accomplices in Praia da Luz who helped spirit Madeleine away to the Moroccan hills.

If you have any information about the man in the new picture contact the confidential phone line 0034 902 300 213 based in Spain now. A specially-trained team will take your call in any language.
    Mr Mitchell said: "We urgently need to know who this man is and where he is.

"For Madeleine's sake, we urge anyone with any information about him to come forward right away."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/2001_maddie.shtml
  2. Jan 20, 2008

Rooney gr8 Banned

The only requirement for the triumph of evil is fo
    are they his bottom or top teeth?
  3. Jan 20, 2008

Plechazunga Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan

Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
    That false moustache isn't fooling anyone, Chadwick
  4. Jan 20, 2008

MehdiMahdavikia Banned

They're clutching at straws now.
  5. Jan 20, 2008

el eric Full Member

looks a bit like george harrison
  6. Jan 20, 2008

ILBB15 Annoying Commie

Ugly fecker
  7. Jan 20, 2008

LizardKing First Team Regular

I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.
    :lol:
  8. Jan 20, 2008

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

That's what I thought/
  9. Jan 20, 2008

Chapster Full Member

[​IMG]

Found him

that would explain why he was on the run in the show
  10. Jan 20, 2008

UBERScholes I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai

:lol:
  11. Jan 21, 2008

WeWonItTwoTimes Banned

America's Red Cafe Spokesman (behind enemy lines)
    'kin hell :lol:
  12. Jan 21, 2008

Tyeza Banned

His teeth are similar to Ronaldinho. Could it be?

Whats with the pantsy buttons on the shoulders?
  13. Jan 21, 2008

swooshboy Full Member

Wasn't that the image of a man that didn't actually have a face?

So not quite sure how it can tie in uncannily.
  14. Jan 21, 2008

Reddish Banned

So, when's the book out?
  15. Jan 22, 2008

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    pretty good identikit....lets hope they catch him....more importantly the girl is alive...
  16. Jan 23, 2008

MehdiMahdavikia Banned

He looks like some Puerto Rican guy to me.
  17. Jan 25, 2008

Roger Full Member