Planning for next season

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by RyanGoggs, May 13, 2012.

1. May 13, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

Now this season is over its best to look forward and try and work out how to get our Premier League back and become a dominant force in Europe. I'm sure Sir Alex has already looked into who to bring in and how to strategize a revival. What players do we realistically need and are able to bring in?

Obviously we need to stop over relying on the old guard of Giggs and Scholes and look to the future particularly in CM. Anderson is injured a lot, Cleverley is still a bit raw and Fletcher is a doubt. Lots of players have been linked such M'Villa, Modric, Strootman etc. Obviously availability and cost will factor in but someone along the lines of Modric would do wonders for us. A scheming midfielder who could almost perform the Silva role of quick passing around the area. Or M'Villa who could be our answer to Toure.

Also if we lose Berba and Owen we are a little light up front. Demba Ba would be a good signing but we could not guarantee him first team football which may be an issue.

Otherwise I think we are pretty well stocked in all areas except maybe leftback cover. The final area where we could use improvement would be in our tactical game. As an example we made a big error in the 6-1 City game where we attacked to the end. Also the way we threw away the win at Everton was, well criminal at this level. I can't help think if we could get someone like Queiroz back this would do wonders for our tactical prowess. That's not a hate on Phelan but Queiroz had such great tactical knowledge.

So what needs to change for us to mount a threat on all fronts next season?
  2. May 13, 2012

Baby Faced Assassin Pastor of Muppets

Need to sign a AM, DM & LB at the very least.
  3. May 13, 2012

vanthaman Winner

Hazard, Modric, Kagawa, Baines and messi please
  4. May 13, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

The full back positions are an issue. At the very least, Evra needs a genuine competitor for his spot. The occasional rest would do him the world of good too. At right back, we've messed around far too much - we clearly have a number of options, but I want to see someone given the opportunity to nail it down. I know Rafael has made the odd mistake, but he's only going to improve his consistency with regular games.

We need to cut our dependancy on Scholes and Giggs for the midfield. We clearly can't rely on Fletcher either. So there's a lot of work that needs to be done in that area. Carrick has had a great season so he's going to be at the base of midfield. As such, I think we need a more attack-minded partner for him, but someone who still plays a general midfield role too. I think we need two midfield players personally. We obviously hope Cleverley will stay fit, Anderson too - but we can't be banking on their fitness (or consistency in the case of the latter).

After that, I believe we're fine. Get rid of Owen and Berbatov and go with Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck. Get Will Keane involved in the first team squad. I'd prefer we don't get a fourth established striker in because I think we should utilise Nani, Young and Valencia all together more often. It annoys me that we often leave one of our best players on the bench each week (be it Nani or Valencia).

There's not anything major wrong with United that a bit of natural in-house improvement and a couple of quality signings won't remedy. A bit more concentration wouldn't go amiss, either.
  5. May 13, 2012

kouroux Full Member

I'm very cynical but I don't see with the financial situation of the club United signing the right players (CM, LB).By right I don't mean young and promising I mean good and more or less experienced players
  6. May 13, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

I don't see many top quality experienced signings to be honest least not from outside the league.
  7. May 13, 2012

But we spend 50 million last season. We have some money although obviously not in City's league. I'm sure if Sir Alex wanted to sign let's say M'Villa and left back competition (i.e. probably a backup player rather than expensive signing) then the Glazers would make it available. Ferguson always seem to have the funds if he needs them. We spent a lot of money on De Gea, Berba, Ando, Nani, Hargreaves, Jones, Young and Valencia etc since the Blazers took over
  8. May 13, 2012

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

I'm going to get this out of the way early..... we wont sign a central midfielder.
  9. May 13, 2012

evra Full Member

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
    Just buy a fecking central midfielder.
  10. May 13, 2012

kouroux Full Member

50 million is a lot of money spent, I don't mean the opposite but apart from DDG we didn't sign a player we were badly needing last summer.DDG was a great investment IMHO and I'm not saying Jones and Young are shit but even last summer we had pressing concerns regarding CM.
    Scholes come back has been a huge help this season.
  11. May 13, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Giggs and Scholes will go on forever, so we wont need to sign a midfielder.
  12. May 13, 2012

But Kouroux that is down to the management and not the financial situation. Fergie obviously saw Jones as an unmissable talent and felt we needed more wingers. If he wanted to spend that near 35 million on a Cm or cms then that was his perogative.
  13. May 13, 2012

kouroux Full Member

You're right I have to admit.Last summer I was hoping for a CM signing and it didn't happen.I'm in a bad mood and very negative tonight.I really hope we buy who we truly need this summer.
  14. May 13, 2012

I think it has to be addressed this year. Scholes and Giggs will play less and less (assuming they stay) and Anderson, Cleverley and Fletcher have all had their problems. We can't even rely on the likes of Pogba staying. Carrick is the only really reliable CM we have all things considered. Too many games, and it pains me to admit it, but the midfield has been either overrun or failed to take control against inferior teams. IF we only signed two mids and nothing else I would be delighted. Realistically speaking we have to look at the 20 million plus bracket players to have any chance of being able to adequately replace Scholes and Giggs long term
  15. May 13, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

Based on media and rumours, the most likely signings are: Kagawa, Gaitan, Clyne and Baines.

Personally I'd love Martinez in our team, and also Llorente. But I can't see us getting either of them. If Owen & Berba do leave, I do think we'd need another striker. But perhaps SAF is planning something different, maybe playing an attacking midfielder in behind Wayne Rooney up front.

Hazard is a possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at City. It's almost inevitable really.
  16. May 13, 2012

Drainy Full Member

Villareal have been relegated so are likely to be selling Giuseppe Rossi.. if he's reasonably priced we should try and sign him back IMO. (obv if we did, we wouldn't be signing Kagawa though so straight choice between the two)
  17. May 13, 2012

evra Full Member

Too much of an injury concern, cracking player though.
  18. May 13, 2012

TheGame Full Member

Why carnt Fabio play left back?
  19. May 13, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Baines? shag off with Baines. Id take Drenthe over him.
  20. May 13, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Let's sign Nilmar from Villareal
  21. May 13, 2012

Burrow Still enjoys cocks

Youngsters will have earned tons of experience, Vidic will be back, a few new signings.. I think it'll be a good season!

And maybe we'll see that goal difference can be a deciding factor which might mean that we'll actually keep playing football even if we're leading by 1 goal! :D
  22. May 13, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

You mean like we used to when we would twat a team by 6+ at least twice a season and 4 and 5 nils were commonplace? I miss that too.
  23. May 13, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Remember the Wigan 5-0 at home and 0-5 away
  24. May 13, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

He's supposed to be going on loan to Benfica. Which would leave us with no cover really for Evra (who hasn't been the same for a while now). If Fab does go on loan, we need somebody else in.
  25. May 13, 2012

Redfighter Officially gullible

At the secret training camp for United Militia
    That's a good call. I like him, but I'd prefer Lewandowski.

My personal feelings would be the following players...(being realistic targets)

Forward: Lewandowski
    Midfield: M'Vila or Tiote, Kagawa or Modric
    Defense: Thiago Silva or Subotić

Left back cover too, but I feel Evra has another good season or so left and a younger player to develop would suffice.
  26. May 13, 2012

lem8sh Full Member

I'm gonna feckin cry if that turns out to be the case
  27. May 13, 2012

evra Full Member

No chance.
  28. May 13, 2012

Redfighter Officially gullible

At the secret training camp for United Militia
    I agree he's a difficult target compared to the others but he's the sort of player we should be spending big on.
  29. May 13, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

I can't see what other young player would act as cover for Evra, as Fabio is likely going on loan, and Fryers may be one of the youngsters SAF mentioned about sending out on loan. We need cover for Evra, simple as that.

As regards midfield, I can't see us getting Martinez, so M'Vila or Tiote wouldn't be so bad. Ideally a good hard, defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder like Kagawa would be good also.
  30. May 13, 2012

lem8sh Full Member

If we don't sign at least one midfielder we will not win the league imo
  31. May 13, 2012

Baby Faced Assassin Pastor of Muppets

:lol:
  32. May 13, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

The Modric chat seems to have died down a bit but i've a feeling we'll be in for him. City have no need for him and i think the Chelsea boat might have sailed, so don't think there'll be too much competition. He'll definately leave if Spurs dont get into the champions league but might be looking away anyway for a realistic chance of winning things.

Hope we sign a destructive midfielder. We definately need someone not afraid to put the boot in. Wouldn't mind someone like Demba Ba on the cheap too, would give us a different type of option upfront.
  33. May 13, 2012

thegregster Harbinger of new information

I dont really mind if we dont sign proven class players this summer. I am happy enough for us to continue on buying young players and developing them.

Think about it for a minute. De gea,Jones,Evans,Smalling,Rafeal,Fabio,Cleverley,Nani,Valencia,Welbeck,Hernandez,Young,Rooney,Anderson(if he ever gets his act together),Fletcher(fingers crossed) for season 2014-2015. Players will be aged from 22-30 with bucket loads of experience. Add in maybe one or two from the youths and it looks a bright future. Also maybe some of the likes of Carrick,Vidic,Evra can do a giggs/Scholes.

I wouldnt mind if we took a medium term view to our team. That said we are probably the only team who can stop city next season.

It easy say we should sign player world class player x,y,z but lots of big money signings of established players dont work out. Look at how much city have wasted on big money players. They are lucky that they can just keep signing till it works. Take us signing Modric for example. 40mil for a proven player. If it doesnt work out you are back to square one. You could sign 2-3 up and coming players and develop them and give them time.
  34. May 13, 2012

Why do you want us to sign another centre half? We've 5 of them
  35. May 13, 2012

lem8sh Full Member

Tiote please
  36. May 13, 2012

A bit limited. I'd like someone that can attack and defend, a Roy Keane or Essien (from 3-4 years ago) type. feck knows who that would be but.
  37. May 13, 2012

evra Full Member

He's a great player, destined for Barca/Real.
  38. May 13, 2012

Garethw Full Member

I think that we are all going to be disappointed with our summer transfer activity.
  39. May 13, 2012

Ok so as I see it the general consensus is that we need a LB, one or two CMs and possibly a striker to replace the outgoing Berba/Owen/ Maybe Macheda.

Realistically who can we afford and sign this summer? I have a feeling we will be priced out of Hazard and the like so who is realistic to sign?

Also is Will Keane good enough to step up to fourth choice. I have high hopes for him but if two of our strikers get injured, well he is very inexperienced and its a lot of pressure. Likewise are any other youngsters ready to step up such as Petrucci, Cole, Lingard etc?
  40. May 13, 2012

Tomuś Nani is crap, I tell you!

Get one or two world-class players, regroup and have a word.

then just go there and set the league on fire. Win both games against City and preferably completely destroy Newcastle and QPR on the way.