Player booked for having bottles & coins thrown at him by opposition fans

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Dave89, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Jul 16, 2017

Lawman Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Out of order for throwing missiles onto the pitch and the yellow card was bonkers but I hope someone has a word also with Griffiths for tying a scarf to the goal ffs grow up.
  2. Jul 16, 2017

RedTiger Full Member

I don't know much about the N. Ireland league but I'm intrigued by your point about the sectarianism. Is is bad enough that clubs won't hire from the other side? ie Linfield not signing catholic players?
  3. Jul 16, 2017

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

I'm a Protestant southern Irish man and I just find the antics of clubs like linfield and rangers very embarrassing
  4. Jul 16, 2017

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    That is fair..apologies. He does come from a bad family though I knew them growing up
  5. Jul 16, 2017

They do and have. Our own Ruari Croskery left the United academy for Linfield
  6. Jul 16, 2017

RedTiger Full Member

So the club administrations aren't sectarian but more the fans?
  7. Jul 16, 2017

Hard to say lets just say they are seen as a mini Rangers but with a much smaller pool of local talent to choose from they cant be picky
  8. Jul 16, 2017

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Are the referees always to blame for these incredibly stupid decisions or are they put under immense pressure to make decisions regardless of context by the people who are above them. I think referees can be dumb at times but the whole fault isn't theirs, they're not helped at all and are expected to carry out some stupid rulings at times.
  9. Jul 16, 2017

Rick88 Full Member

Craig Bellamy had a bottle thrown at his head when he was taking a corner. This was after he had attacked a pitch invader (United Fan) in one previous match. Bellamy always came across as a prick but apparently he is big on charity. Fair fecks to him.
  10. Jul 16, 2017

InLevyITrust New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    No I'm pretty sure Linfield sign catholic players, actually I think maybe at least one of their greats was Catholic. I'm not home so I can't google it. As @Ramshock has said it's not really the clubs, from what I know they are trying to move on, more money but like anything else over here tribalism is rife. Fans associate their own political views with a particular team. Religion isn't really the problem here it never has been it's all politics.

I used to go to some of my local teams games, I had school friends who managed to get signed, and the shit from the stands literally made my blood boil. Religious comments of negative players and racial comments. Fan rivially is also a pretty big problem, a bit like the English firms of the 70-80s.

It's funny though cause the Northern Irish National manager Is catholic along with a some of the players yet we unite behind it all. You literally couldn't make it up, it's utter BS.

Me too. Rangers and Celtic have become tribal tags now.

No need to apologise I knew where you were coming from.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  11. Jul 16, 2017

In what context should a player showing a missile thrown at him be yellow carded?
  12. Jul 16, 2017

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Not in this instance obviously but I was talking more in general. In this example, the referee showed to be incredibly thick. Incompetent fool
  13. Jul 16, 2017

AndyJ1985 Full Member

You can forgive a ref for making a wrong decision in a split second incident. But stuff like this is unforgivable.
  14. Jul 16, 2017

MAME DIOUF 32 Full Member

Amazing. Suspend the ref and close the stadium for a few weeks.
  15. Jul 16, 2017

He needs suspended
  16. Jul 16, 2017

Green_Red Full Member

I think the issue in Northern Ireland is that no matter what happens it will always be tagged onto one group or another. Sometimes the answer is just scumbags.
  17. Jul 16, 2017

The United Irishman "Martial is championship material at best"

I'm from the north only been living in England for about a year..Can't say I've missed all them cute sweet Loyalists. I'm sorry but Loyalist thugs pretty much destroyed my childhood, murdered my friends, beat the shit out of me, my family, and my friends, and I can't say I ever met a single 'decent' Loyalist. The decent folk are the people who don't attend bonfires, marches, sing sectarian songs, threaten to bring the country to it's knees with civil unrest because they can't fecking fly a flag 365 days of the year. Anyone who is a Loyalist is an asshole in my opinion. Edit* I'm not having a go at you just the point you were making and the fact that I have first hand experience with that crowd.
  18. Jul 17, 2017

InLevyITrust New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Funny thing is, I can say the same thing about "republicans" I just choose not to tar with the same brush, oh and I've been at republican bonfires, yes union jacks and the queen/Tony Blair burning. I also have story's of army helecoptis landing on my family farm ripping the house to bits. Bitterness is not the answer, it's the reason we have been in the shit for so long. Your honestly saying there are no "republican thugs"? The disappeared may have a different opinion.

True but it's the minority no matter what people want you to believe.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  19. Jul 17, 2017

Dave89 Full Member

20. Jul 17, 2017

mitchmouse Full Member

Ref should be banned for the whole season for being an utter feckwit
  21. Jul 17, 2017

NickSantigo Full Member

@The United Irishman and @InLevyITrust

Do you guys think if they integrated the schools it would help?

Have quotas for primary & secondary schools where children from both communities are forced to integrate with each other. Children aren’t born racist, biggots, etc. so all of the trouble would seem alien to them as they get older.

Would it then hopefully phase out in a generation or two or is the problem far too deep rooted?

Love to hear yer thoughts on the subject
  22. Jul 17, 2017

InLevyITrust New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    We do have some integrated schools which as far as I am aware do well the problem is families that send their kids to them aren't the problem. There are no actual "Protestant" schools but there are ones that are predominantly such, not really by intent.

There are Catholic maintained schools though that aren't actually controlled by our education board here, so it would be difficult to impose a quota. We can't even decide on a simple thing like a standard transfer test here.

Even if we could for some in certain regions of Northerm Ireland it's simply too deep rooted and our politicians do nothing to help the matter.
  23. Jul 17, 2017

NickSantigo Full Member

Yeah looking at it from the outside it seems like it's a very complex problem.

Even with the power sharing problems at the moment, I'd love if Westminster decided that they don't get paid unless there is a government in place. I'd wager both sides would find agreement within a week.
    Unlikely now with the DUP supporting the Tories
  24. Jul 17, 2017

Dave89 Full Member

Not content with booking him for being attacked, UEFA have now charged him. And his yellow card is counted toward the 5 to trigger a charge for his team too.

Lunatics running the asylum. I better stop posting before Jose gets a touchline ban
  25. Jul 17, 2017

I responded to your post about Loyalists. You are turning it into a Republicans vs Loyalists debate. If there was a thread on Republicans I would have plenty to say.
  26. Jul 17, 2017

There are some integrated schools. I'm an atheist, and believe me, if I had a choice I would never have attended a religiously denominated school. You make a good point, but unfortunately it's up to the next generation to try and change these conditions (These conditions and many others).
  27. Jul 17, 2017

Steve Bruce Full Member

I hope your talking about the half dozen or so that behaved like animals rather than the wider support because i can verify that the majority of the support booed and chanted out out.
  28. Jul 17, 2017

Steve Bruce Full Member

Your just ignorant and haven't seen the massive strides the club have made over the last 20 years.

I also resent the rangers jnr comment. I'm certainly no rangers fan and many aren't either. There are however many that do support rangers as well but 99% of linfield games pass off without one sectarian song or any trouble whatsoever.

Just the big game idiots turn up every so often and drag the club through the dirt
  29. Jul 17, 2017

Nick7 Full Member

I'm talking about the fans who threw missiles on the pitch.
  30. Jul 17, 2017

Steve Bruce Full Member

You should maybe go yo a few games because your assessment is way off the mark. 20 years ago you may have a point but today you are wrong
  31. Jul 17, 2017

Steve Bruce Full Member

Linfields squad is very integrated and theirs as many Catholics in the team as protestant players
  32. Jul 17, 2017

Steve Bruce Full Member

I find embarrassing when the 1 match a year so called supporters turn up and get on like animals myself but again the every week 2500 supporters behave impeccably and you'll only here linfield songs not sectarian ones.

Even against celtic when a section started the billy boys the wider linfield support booed it. This was audible on the radio.
  33. Jul 17, 2017

Steve Bruce Full Member

Not excusing the behaviour of the idiots but he was gesturing the fans and tieing his scarf on the goals.

I personally couldn't care but he was trying to get a rise from the idiots and they duly obliged.

Can i also say our chairman left the directors box and went down to confront them during the game and roy carroll also tried to reason with them but they weren't their to support linfield they where their to hate celtic.

Linfield and our fans do not welcome and do not want their so called support coming to our games in future
  34. Jul 17, 2017

InLevyITrust New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    No problem we will leave it at that.

Wrong about what? Sorry this is my last post for today.
  35. Jul 17, 2017

Dave89 Full Member

I've read the scarf thing a lot as explanation for the bottle. The bigger scandal here is linfield fans hiding their time machine from the rest of us.
  36. Jul 17, 2017

Steve Bruce Full Member

The Scarf thing is nothing to do with the bottle as this was 2 separate incidents.

The bottle was when the Celtic player put his hands up for the corner but hand his fingers at 5-1 (I presume Celtic beat Rangers 5-1 in their last game) and some knobends reacted to it.

The scarf thing is related to one buck ejiit who invaded the pitch
  37. Jul 17, 2017

Steve Bruce Full Member

This.

Obviously you have no love for Linfield (you either love us or you hate us, no in between) so try other games and other teams, or watch from the away stand at a Linfield game and you would be hard pressed to hear a sectarian shout let alone songs and you just wouldn't see anything being thrown on the pitch.

Obviously theirs always the very odd exception, I'm sure I can go through any team in England or Scotland and find some sort of news article of fans miss-behaving but 99% of the time the Irish league weekends go off without incident.
  38. Jul 17, 2017

To be fair the Man City fans in the derby at Emptyhad were 10 times worse after RVP scored the injury time free kick.
  39. Jul 17, 2017

Pink Moon Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Windsor isn't the only ground he's tied a scarf to the post. I don't see why it's such a big issue where grown men are literally frothing at the mouth and trying to invade the pitch :confused:

Don't get me wrong. It's clearly a wind up. But it's harmless banter more than anything else. Like when Rangers won the league at Parkhead and they done the huddle on the pitch. Pissed me off greatly but looking back it was just the perfect WUM.
  40. Jul 17, 2017

Steve Bruce Full Member

To be honest, I feel it's been blown out of proportion. I condemn the actions of those prats that sung sectarian songs and threw a few bottles on the pitch and the one person who invaded the pitch but people also need to realise how far NI has come as a
    As I said, they where idiots and the Celtic player played to them and got an idiot response. Any right minded person wouldn't give a damn about what players are doing and I personally don't know how people get wound up so easily. Equally I don't understand why any players would try and wind people up either. It's all a bit childish

I'm not here trying to defend the indefensible, those thugs can clear off from where ever they came from, I am here just to keep the record straight and defend my club from sweeping generalizations and ignorant remarks.