Player swaps

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Andy_Cole, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jul 13, 2019

Andy_Cole Full Member

It seems our two most valuable assets are for sale. Lukaku and Pogba. Does it not worry anyone that we only want cash for these two? Cash for the Glazers to pocket.

Are there any players we could ask for, considering the clubs after them (Inter, Real/ Juve) don’t seem to want to pay.

Who would you take that may be attainable? From the top of my head:

Inter - Skrinier
    Juve - Dybala, Cancelo, Chillieni, Bonucci, Sandro
    Real - James, Isco, Bale, Varane, Modric

I feel we’re in a situation like when we sold Ronaldo and we could have got Robben and Sneijder from Madrid. I don’t want us to make the same mistake.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. Jul 13, 2019

SaintMuppet New Member

Do swaps ever happen???
  3. Jul 13, 2019

BazzaBear Definately Banned

Doesn't worry me at all, because player swaps almost never happen outside of FM.
  4. Jul 13, 2019

Andy_Cole Full Member

Sanchez and Mkitaryan.
    Gallas and Ashley Cole
    Etoo and Ibrahimovic
  5. Jul 13, 2019

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

A few of those players aren't really attainable like Skriniar and Varane. Skriniar reaffirmed his commitment to Inter a few days ago. Cancelo is available but we've already got a few rightbacks now, so don't see the point. Bale is Bale.
  6. Jul 13, 2019

DoomSlayer Full Member

Brozovic should be the one from Inter, I'd almost be tempted for a straight swap with Lukaku.
  7. Jul 13, 2019

bond19821982 Full Member

Does it really warrant a new thread?
  8. Jul 13, 2019

MVBDX New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Why not, he's making a very good point.

And yes, Bale is available only for the right swap... with the player that's apparently the root of so many problems for you guys (according to many experts). And no, no need to thank us.
  9. Jul 13, 2019

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    We should definitely try to retain Pogba because he's the focal point of our midfield and the creative spark of the entire team, but if he's intent on leaving and things spiral out of control because of Raiola's machinations (and Solskjær feels comfortable letting the player go), I'd knock £15-20 million (hardly a significant amount in the grand scheme of things) off his transfer fee in exchange for Andriy Lunin. De Gea still hasn't extended his contract — which is almost as problematic as Pogba's situation, and while Romero is a good keeper and Henderson did well on loan, Lunin has the talent to eclipse both and become a premier player at the position over the coming years.

The rest of 'em aren't that interesting, really: Bale should be avoided (unless he joins on a performance-based short term loan with Madrid subsidizing his ridiculous wages), Varane won't be sold by Zidane (and is actually not as good as advertised when you consider the total fee + wages outlay needed to acquire him), and Isco/James' potential desire to play for United is questionable — which could be major concern given our tryst with Di María (or Chelsea's experience with Morata).

As regards Lukaku and his prospective move to Internazionale, they'd better cough up our asking price or give us a steep discount on Brozović (who would be a solid addition at the #6/8 positions, and soften the blow of Ander's departure or fill in for Matić — who seems to be in terminal decline). Anything else would be ideologically unacceptable because they tried to take us to the cleaners for Perisić...time to return fire and show them who's boss! (┛◉Д◉)┛
  10. Jul 13, 2019

SaintMuppet New Member

Well one of those makes me hope we never get involved in swaps ever again...
  11. Jul 13, 2019

NoMidfielders New Member

Not at all, we should have identified the gaps we need to fill and the players we want to do that long ago. If one of those players happens to be offered in a swap then great but we shouldn't accept random dross that top clubs want rid of in exchange for our top assests. Imagine if Pogba was at Madrid or Juve and we offered a player we didn't want and a well below par fee.
  12. Jul 13, 2019

Catt Ole's at the wheel!

United don't want Bale.
  13. Jul 13, 2019

MVBDX New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    That's why I like the idea of OP.
  14. Jul 13, 2019

el3mel Full Member

The other clubs may not want to do swaps though.
  15. Jul 13, 2019

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

They're rare because they're a more complicated transfer to negotiate.
  16. Jul 13, 2019

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

The only players Madrid and Juve would be happy to part with, aren't worth having.
    If you get a large lump sum, you can spend that on any player in any club in the world. To me it makes no sense to limit your replacement to the buying clubs castoffs.
  17. Jul 14, 2019

cyril C Full Member

Age and suitability must be the primary consideration. Don't know enough of Skrinier to comment but Dybala and Varane are my only choice. I don't mind instalment as long as the sum is right.
  18. Jul 14, 2019

cyril C Full Member

Well, swapping with Sanchez may not be so bad, 1 over-paid benchwarmer for another, might get lucky....
  19. Jul 14, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

Swaps are way to messy, specially when hectic crazy period comes.
  20. Jul 14, 2019

Gopher Brown Full Member

What makes you think either Skrinier and Varane are attainable? Those two and Isco are the only ones we’d really want.
  21. Jul 14, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

That and free agency will be the only two significant ways of making transfers in the future. I have very little doubt about it.
  22. Jul 14, 2019

cyberman Full Member

They rarely happen because players are offered that clubs want to sell anyway.
    There's no advantage in them.
  23. Jul 14, 2019

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Why? Swaps will never be a thing in football. They make absolutely no sense from a players perspective. Trades only work in NA because the players don't have the power. Players have the power in football and they have no reason to give it up.
  24. Jul 14, 2019

robinvpersie New Member

Sup, Zizu,

Have a deal here if you wanna take a look?

Do you like full backs? Course ya do, I've a geezer here called young. He's old as feck but with a name like that, you can sell him as a pup, win-win son. Speaking of the sun, I've an argintinian here with his head died like the famous star, sure he looks like a chubby lesbian, but he's angry as feck, speaks Spanish an will make Sergio ramos look like a teletubbie. Speaking of the sun, ya know the way it moves very slowly and is loosing its star power every second, but for some reason, we tend to think if we give it a ball then we can revolve around it? Anyway, I've a Serbian fella here with your name all over it..

In return: not looking for much mate, myself and Ed are willing to swap for a couple of those fancy corner flags you have..

Amyway, hit me back,
    I'm your biggest fan,
    This is Stam.
  25. Jul 14, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

How’s that relevant? The transfer fee have been inflating. Club ownership is moving to richer businessmen and even being state sponsored. Many clubs have no reason to sell a player. Player swap means clubs can use some part of transfer fee and entice players with joining bonuses. In free agency players pretty much are already asking for joining bonuses these days. Having said that, some clubs will still continue to be feeder clubs depending on their ownership.
  26. Jul 14, 2019

MVBDX New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    One of the main reasons that we don't see many swaps is the agents, they'd like to have as many transfers as possible, and the individual fee for each one to be as high as possible.

There's also the players who might not like to move in the other direction, they'd like to be in charge.

But if it was all in the hands of the club I'm sure we'd have seen more and more swaps, esp. in the current market.
  27. Jul 14, 2019

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

Inter are quite fans of it and most of the time they end up being the suckers. They swapped Roberto Carlos for 1m + Zamorano, they swapped Pirlo for 2.8m and Guglielminpietro, they swapped Cannavaro in a straight swap for Fabio Carini and they had recently bought Nainggollan in a 24m + Santon + Zaniolo deal. The latter is worth twice then the Belgian international. We won't be able to prize Skriniar for Lukaku. However I don't mind if we arrange a 50m + Bastoni deal.
  28. Jul 14, 2019

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

Swaps in the EPL aren't popular because clubs are rich. The buyers can afford paying huge sums of money to buy their target while the sellers don't need players from United's academy to boost their ranks as they can easily afford to buy their own or match any salaries offered by someone else. However in other leagues like for example the Serie A the swap system is not only common but important. It allows clubs to bypass the FFP rules
  29. Jul 14, 2019

BlueHaze Full Member

I can already guarantee Škriniar is not available. Conte would never give up his best defender for Rom. Maybe if we offered them Rom + Lindelöf for Škriniar and Icardi but that is fantasy stuff and will never happen. If Pogba or Lukaku leaves it will be cash deals only and no swaps.
  30. Jul 14, 2019

Jacob Full Member

Probably because player swaps are hard to value and the player to be used as make weight is reluctant to go. A lot of stuff need to tick for such a deal to happen.
  31. Jul 14, 2019

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

The hard part is getting 2 specific players that fancy the move. It often breaks down.
  32. Jul 14, 2019

Catt Ole's at the wheel!

We got 101 problems but Bale shouldn't be one.
  33. Jul 14, 2019

I'm not sure you've disproven the point, given you've managed to quote three transfers, two of which are from over 10 years ago.
  34. Jul 14, 2019

BTW, given your username, I reckon you could have thought of another swap deal from 1995.

I was a bit annoyed about that one, as I quite rated Gillespie. But obviously Fergie knew about his issues.
  35. Jul 14, 2019

Big Ben Foster Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    Also support Vasco da Gama
    As mentioned, player swaps rarely ever happen. Besides, didn't we learn a thing from the di Maria transfer? We shouldn't go after high profile, high wage players who don't want to be here.
  36. Jul 14, 2019

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

How is player power relevant? What? It is the only relevant thing. What does club owners getting richer have any relevancy to players agreeing to swaps? It doesn't. Players won't be agreeing to swaps and they have no reason to. Believe they'll be happening all you want but they won't be.

Free agency give the players the power, so they have a reason to do it. Player swaps is the complete opposite and takes away their power. They'll be using free agency, they won't be agreeing to player swaps.
  37. Jul 14, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

Isco with 90million is not a bad deal.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  38. Jul 14, 2019

Ishpan2 New Member

I get Icardi has character issues, but his goal scoring abilities are so tempting. Lukaku for him and some money would improve the team, but I don't see Solskjaer going for it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2019
  39. Jul 14, 2019

mitchmouse Full Member

yes... and we end up with Sanchez's brother Albert
  40. Jul 14, 2019

NoFoxGiven New Member

Supports:
    Leicester
    Hello. Leicester fan in peace. I tried to comment here this morning, but registering takes a while.

Swaps are rare for good reason. A normal transfer is complicated enough - the selling club has to want to sell, the buying and selling clubs have to agree a fee, the player has to want to move to the buying club, the buying club and player have to agree to a contract and I haven't even mentioned agents yet.

A swap is essentially this x2, but then there's also the added factor that each club have to want a specific player from each other, and also have to want to sell the player they are letting go of, at exactly the same time. The chances of this ever happening are very slim.

I can't see swaps becoming more common in English football.