Players we signed that turned out to be hopeless

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Offsideagain, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Oct 11, 2018

Simon Jones New Member

Alan Brazil
  2. Oct 11, 2018

edgar allan Full Member

You are easily impressed.
  3. Oct 11, 2018

Andycoleno9 Full Member

I disagree with Veron. He didn't play superb but in that two seasons he was good for us. Far from flop how people talk about him these days
  4. Oct 11, 2018

Flanders Devil New Member

Yeah I thought he was quite good at times. But what you’ve said probably sums it up - just wildly inconsistent...
  5. Oct 11, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    De Gea or RvP.

Other than them, our record is pretty dire, going back several years. Valencia would probably be the next most recent.
  6. Oct 11, 2018

EverReddy Full Member

A little uncertain to mention this so soon after his death but Liam Miller came with very high expectations that the poor guy never managed to deliver. RIP.
  7. Oct 11, 2018

Flanders Devil New Member

For me, one that was disappointing was Nick Powell - came with huge expectations, albeit for a young player and from a few Divs lower, I thought he was going to be great for us.

Another in this vein is Angelo Henriquez, always seemed to do well on loan but never seemed to get a chance here.

Lastly - didn’t we sign a milinkovic-savic?? Just not the midfielder form Naples.
  8. Oct 11, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

To be fair to Alan Brazil, a lot of his problems in his football career and later life were linked to his childhood experiences. He deserves a bit of sympathy more than anything else.
  9. Oct 11, 2018

RooneyLegend Full Member

True and we've suffered the consequences. Really wish we hadn't gone through the 'value' days cause all of our targets in those days have had huge careers.
  10. Oct 11, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Henriquez was shit. Was shit for the reserves, was shit for Wigan and has a poor record in the Spanish second division. He has one good season in a terrible Croatian league in which he couldn't even emulate and was average after that. Couldn't even always hold down a starting spot. He's gone on to be shit everywhere else's too. Rightfully so wasn't given a chance.

We signed his brother Vanja who couldn't get a work permit.
  11. Oct 11, 2018

Devil81 Full Member

My dad is the biggest United fan I know but he doesn't really follow European football beyond the Champions league so he had limited access to Falcao. I remember how excited he was at the prospect of the guy I'd been lording for years to him, not only me but all the fans at the ground were hyper about him as well.

Within four weeks he'd decided he was shite, he wasn't wrong either, he was bloody terrible. Like you say it was such a disappointment because he connected with the fans and we so wanted him to succeed.

My dad forgave him when he helped knock City out of the Champions league and he acknowledged the injuries have destroyed him.
  12. Oct 12, 2018

POF Full Member

His hattrick in the super cup against Chelsea was one of my favourite Falcao moments. It was a top class hattrick.

He was a class act. It's a real shame he missed the 2014 world cup. With James on fire in that tournament, it could have been his (and Colombia's) greatest moment.
  13. Oct 12, 2018

Blake's 7 New Member

Paddy Roche :rolleyes:

I don't mind when we gives kids a chance, although judgement shouldn't be too hasty - Pique got given the run around and was let go to that small provincial Spanish team where he seems to have done alright for himself.

Its when we sign "proven" players who then don't deliver that annoys me, whether its those high profile strikers from the '80s previously mentioned or their modern day counterparts.

For me the biggest failure has to Di Maria - the fee combined with his attitude was just a disaster and then to ship him out for such a significant loss :mad:
  14. Oct 12, 2018

atticus finch New Member

Most have been outed already. A few that spring to mind that have not been mentioned so far.

Graeme Hogg, Jonathan Spector, William Prunier, Quinton Fortune, Arnie Sidebottom, Laurie Cunningham, Frazier Cambell, Peter Davenport, Mickey Thomas, Garth Crooks, Ashley Grimes and Wilfred Zaha.

Agree with poster above about Paddy Roche, maybe the worst we have had with Bailey.
  15. Oct 13, 2018

lsd Full Member

Was Crooks not on loan ?

If he counts then surely Andy Goram has to be the worst player ever seen in a united shirt even counting Prunier who did score a goal for us
  16. Oct 13, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

We only signed four of those, the rest came through the system, or were brought in on loan.

And Gary Bailey was a quality keeper.
  17. Oct 13, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Did he ?
  18. Oct 13, 2018

LeftyBlaster Full Member

Taibi.
  19. Oct 13, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

Indeed. And Mickey Thomas was hardly hopeless. Some people resented his signing because he replaced the mercurial Gordon Hill.

Davenport wasn’t hopeless either; certainly not on the Birtles scale. He came into a team on the slide and was expected to replicate Hughes’s style of play; he just wasn’t that type of player.

As a signing Zaha clearly was a disaster. We have no idea if he was, or would have been, hopeless. He got three games, but has gone on to do ok.

People seem to have forgotten Alan Foggon. And what about Ian Ure? George Graham?
  20. Oct 13, 2018

RikRuud Full Member

Dong fangzhuo
  21. Oct 13, 2018

meamth Full Member

What? What we achieved with him was a mild success.

Although we didn't conquer Europe, we did run away with the league with him, Rooney and Hernandez.
  22. Oct 13, 2018

fergieisold Full Member

Going off the sentiment from some of the forum our entire first 11 is on the list. Some of my more genuine recent flops though are -

Di Maria
    Falcao
    Damian

and if Jose is right and he's bought a couple of duds then Bailly and Lindelof will be on that list soon.
  23. Oct 13, 2018

fergieisold Full Member

I still can't believe people think Pogba is in some way a flop. I didn't make some of the early games this season but he played well on telly. Then when I eventually made it to the ground I saw a player who ran his socks off and had the ability to match the effort. Phenomenal player.
  24. Oct 13, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Mickey T was brutally honest when he said the club was too big for him and he'd hide in the toilets at Old Trafford until everybody had gone home, but considering he came to the club as a midfielder and was converted by Dave Sexton into a winger, and was replacing a fans favourite in Merlin he did great, what we'd give now for a winger scoring a goal every four games as he did in the 78/79 season(40 apps/10 goals)

And nobody will ever be able to take his cross for Jimmy Greenhoff at the FA Cup Semi-final Replay(79)away from him(@5:16), still get goosebumps watching it...

And on Davenport, SAF admitted one of his early mistakes was getting rid of him too soon because he could have done a job for the club anywhere across the front line.
  25. Oct 13, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

Thanks for posting this :drool:. He was probably our best player in the final; the rest of the team peaked in that semi.

I think the 10 in 40 season was 79/80, Wilkins’ first when we finished only two points off Liverpool.
    Interesting. I didn’t realise SAF had said that. Playing him as a Hughes clone was clearly not working, but I always thought he had more to offer.
  26. Oct 13, 2018

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

We sold him for 1/2 the price we paid for him, and it was only because Chelsea suddenly had money. He was a flop, however it was against the backdrop of having Keane, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs as the midfield, maybe if we had a poorer midfield he would have been better - but he was one of the best players on the world when we bought him, and we only ever saw glimpses of it. Such a disappointing signing.
  27. Oct 13, 2018

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    Ralph Milne.
  28. Oct 13, 2018

UnitedChampionsAgain New Member

Danny Wallace, brilliant at Southampton but could barely run for us. Was at Old Trafford when he made his debut for Soton as a 16 year old against us. Tortured big Gordon McQueen that day, left him with twisted blood. Thought he would be great for us but turned out a disaster.
  29. Oct 13, 2018

robinrooney New Member

Lukaku
  30. Oct 16, 2018 at 18:28

AndersB New Member

Agreed, but 5-6 years is a really long time in football. If we concede that RVP was our last unequivocally successful transfer (and we should), it's really sad. You could list several from all the other top 6 clubs, most likely
  31. Oct 16, 2018 at 19:11

Sing you a song Full Member

Thanks so much for finding that clip great to see jimmy greenhoff and big joe Jordan playing up front , great memories
  32. Oct 16, 2018 at 19:42

Class of 63 Full Member

Yeah you can't beat a bit of reminiscing....
  33. Oct 16, 2018 at 19:50

red4ever 79 Banned

Supports:
    Red Devils
    Off the top of my head more recent ones. Neil Webb, Danny Wallace, Dion Dublin, Falcao, Goram, Preunier, Taibi
  34. Oct 17, 2018 at 11:49

youmeletsfly New Member

I must go with the current CB's, Eric and Victor - they look hopeless - can't string a run of games in the 1st eleven. They have potential to turn it around tho.

I think that DiMaria and Falcao weren't that bad, just not suited for our style at that time. A DiMaria will solve a lot of issues in our lineup now tbh.
  35. Oct 17, 2018 at 11:57

Red00012 New Member

Oh dear
  36. Oct 17, 2018 at 14:29

Josh 76 New Member

Neil Webb and Dion Dublin had serious injuries, so a bit unfair with those two.
  37. Oct 17, 2018 at 16:02

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Bastian been mentioned? Possibly the most useless
  38. Oct 17, 2018 at 16:04

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Saw his first game at OT. Was right in front of him when he airshotted big time. The entire stand cracking up probably fecked his confidence for good at United :lol:
  39. Oct 17, 2018 at 18:38

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

The trouble with Veron was that we played him as more of an attacking midfielder than the deep lying playmaker he was.

He’d be fecking incredible for us now sitting deep and dictating the tempo of games.
  40. Oct 17, 2018 at 18:44

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

Exactly...He should have been allowed to play deep,right in front of the back 4...He would have been amazing in a 4-3-3 If he had the freedom to take the ball deep and go forward...Unfortunately Roys game was evolving at the time and he wanted to be the deepest lying midfielder....