Players with grit and determination

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Jam, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mar 15, 2018

Jam Full Member

Just been thinking in the modern game there's a lack of players with grit and determination - real leaders and characters.

No not old fashion English hard men. I'm talking Roy Keane and Bryan Robson, yeah they were hard tackling but their real strengths were their characters. Leaders amongst men. On the pitch they were in charge of not just own 10 team-mates, but also the opposite 11. They were technically good-to-great players as well.

You can look them at and instantly think of classic matches like Juve, or Barce when through sheer force of will they turned games on their heads. Through their entire spells here they both carried that spirit through the majority of their appearances. They never looked bemused or uninterested in a loss or a conceded, they looked furious and rallied forwards.

They didn't even know what the word defeat meant, every game, every challenge was winneable no matter the situation and they left their hearts on the pitch. Where are these players in the modern game? I'm not saying modern players don't care (...most), but none seem to come close to the likes of Robson. Not even exclusive to United.

Has the modern game just changed so such characters aren't developing?

Yeah we have players like Messi and Ronaldo whose uncompromising talent can completely flip a game on its head but beyond their ability, and I might get flak for this, they lack the grit and determination of the likes of Robson and Keane. We've all seen Ronaldo sulk, have tantrums and Messi seemingly floats around the pitch - his aura of ability precedes him but not really the strength of his leadership.

It's hard to quantify this without resorting to the drab sounding buzzwords but hope you get the drift.

Who can you look at today and say 'he's United, the team sheet starts with him, he's our leader', or 'he is Arsenal', etc.
  2. Mar 15, 2018

Ajaxsuarez Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    Obviously some of the Juve players today come to mind. You're right that I don't see any character like this in the top 6 English sides right now
  3. Mar 15, 2018

Greck Full Member

Fellaini :drool:
  4. Mar 15, 2018

harms Way Staff

Ramos is the obvious one. It's not a coincidence that he's responsible for so many crucial last minute equalizing/title winning goals. I'm not his biggest fan as a player, but as a leader he is incredible.

Godin too, for Madrid and Uruguay.
  5. Mar 15, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Darmian & Mkhitaryan :drool:
  6. Mar 15, 2018

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

Özil :drool:
  7. Mar 15, 2018

Corey New Member

Ronaldo lacks determination? He may sulk sometimes but he's one of the most determined players I've ever seen.
  8. Mar 15, 2018

Jam Full Member

Yeah, that was worded oddly. Ronaldo is obviously determined if you look at how he handles himself and his career but in the context of a match, he's not likely to chase down after being dispossessed, or pressing, or charging back, winning 50/50s and passing onwards.
  9. Mar 15, 2018

Decomposing In Paris Full Member

Supports:
    United, & Coleraine FC
    Kompany is very much in the mold you're talking about, I'd say at United we have Bailly, De Gea and Lukaku (even Herrera) all have shown potential in this area. I disagree about Messi & Ronaldo, there is more than one way to lead, and more than one way to express your leadership.
  10. Mar 15, 2018

Angry Virginian Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Harry Kane - won't stop trying and never shy away from a challenge.
  11. Mar 15, 2018

Schneckerl Full Member

Probably because it's often not effective. Some players love running around the pitch like a headless chicken chasing every ball which might be confused for determination, but it's actually just wasting their energy and not productive at all.

Looks like that playstyle is working out well for Messi and Ronaldo considering a decade of consistent performances without any major injury.
  12. Mar 15, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

An in-form Herrera would be huge right now. No idea what has happened to him this season.
  13. Mar 15, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Like every player in the PL has grit and determination.
  14. Mar 15, 2018

Handsome Devil Full Member

Pogba :drool:
    Tears up that Hygge effect Scandanavian pine floor straight into the hairdresser's chair.
  15. Mar 15, 2018

meamth Full Member

If we put it in wrestling perspective:

Old days are attitude wwf era of football, full of unfiltered characters and aggressive determination. Roy Keane was Austin 3:16.

Football now is like WWE PG era. Ronaldo is John Cena who has kids demographic to please.
  16. Mar 15, 2018

Jinn Full Member

These types are a dying breed. Too much money in the game for players to be overly determined. There's no fear of losing as long as they are getting paid. Bonuses are affected, but it's not like they gonna run out of milk and bread to feed their families.

The game is going to shit..
  17. Mar 15, 2018

Ronaldo's ego Full Member

I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
    The ones we notice have grit and determination in addition to being very good footballers. There’s plenty of lesser players with as much grit and determination but they don’t have the ability to turn/win matches almost single handed. You can also be just as determined to win without physically enforcing yourself all over the pitch, different type of leader. Ramos (definitely physical) is a standout for me, the amount of match winning/turning last minute goals he scores is testament to his desire to win