Portuguese Football 2017/2018

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by SCP, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Aug 6, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    It started yesterday the season with the Portuguese Supercup, Benfica won 3:1 against Vitória de Guimarães, few months after the final of the Portuguese Cup between the same teams.

Not even going to bother with the lineups and the goalscorers because didn't watched the match, only thing remains clear to me is that Benfica will need to buy players to replace Ederson, Lindelof and Semedo, even if their lineup yesterday was reasonable for the Portuguese League, now for the Champions League imo is short, as always they will sign 2 or 3 players in the last days of the market.

Regarding the League, it will start today with 2 matches:

Yes, it's true, I am not crazy, the first journey will be between the 6th of August and 10, maybe the Summer, the hot temperatures, whatever. :D

I will try when I can to make updates about results, coaches, players to look, and some detailed information, because sometimes there are some confusions here by some posters who might think to sign a player in Portugal, only in the big 3 and by a lot of money, sometimes it migh be true, but when we look at crazy fees around the World maybe the problem is not only there.

Just a few examples on my mind now, does anybody here know that 2 of the most desired players Nice has, Dalbert and Seri played in Portugal?

Yes, Dalbert played his last season at Vitória Guimarães under Sérgio Conceição, and before 2 seasons in the Portuguese Second League, and it was signed by 2 million euros, Seri played at Paços Ferreira 2 seasons and was signed by Nice at the ridiculous price of 1 million euros.

Anyway the credit must go to Nice scouting, and Puel and Favre for improving them, and to think Sporting signed fecking Zeegelaar instead Dalbert. :lol:

Of course these are exceptions, but sometimes the cheaper players have to be signed outside the big 3, but there are other examples.

So, when I have time I will update some results, and try to bring information about every club and not only the big 3, try to give information about some unknown coaches here and some unknown players.

Sly and
    Peyroteo might also help here, of course we will never say anything bad about Benfica. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. Aug 6, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    Perfect thread to speak about Cr7 :drool:
  3. Aug 6, 2017

SLBenfica1904 Full Member

Supports:
    SLBenfica
    We will be destroyed in Champions League with these defenders:
    GK: Bruno Varela, who is not bad but is a great downgrade, compraing to Ederson.
    LB: Grimaldo, who will be always injured and King Eliseu, who I like most the times.
    RB: Andre Almeida offers anything offensively and is not that good at defending, is just average in all aspects of the game. Pedro Pereira has't impressed, and we are used to a monster in attacking(Nelson Semedo), so I think the team is going to play in a different way.
    CB: Lindelof is gone, Jardel is not 100%(Wheb fit i believe is the best CB in the League), Dinossaur Luisao and Ruben Dias and Kalaica who by now are unpredictable.
  4. Aug 6, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Last year against Besiktas, Napoli, Dortmund you had Ederson, Semedo and Lindelof and you felt the same problems, tbf if Ederson wasn't in a God mode against Dortmund in the first match it would be even worse.

The problem is not only the individual quality of the players, Rui Vitoria for the portuguese league is good enough, for the Champions League I have some doubts, but tbf he reached the quarter finals in his first season and the last 16 last season, while JJ :lol:

Welcome aboard, and here we don't have the need to insult each other, less Pedro Guerras and Dolbeths and whenever I can I will try to keep this thread alive.

That kid Gelson has to stay 1 more season in Portugal, enough said for now.
  5. Aug 7, 2017

Sly Hang Ten

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Decent start by us. I think Gelson will have a special year. Probably his last year in Portugal as well.
  6. Aug 7, 2017

ADJUDICATOR FULL MEMBER

Supports:
    THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
    :D
  7. Aug 7, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Just to update the 2 results of yesterday:

Desp. Aves 0-2 Sporting (Gelson Martins 23 75)
    V. Setúbal 1-1 Moreirense (13 Edinho - Ronaldo Peña 83)

Since i did not had the time to watch the match, was only following the score, I cannot say if Gelson played well or not, but is always funny to listen to some people who criticised him for only making assists last season, and now he scores 2 goals his problem is the decision making, modern football fans I guess.

Maybe later if I have time I will talk a little about 1 small club, Feirense, some players, of course none of them good enough for Man United, but maybe interesting to some top 5 leagues or even the Championship at cheaper prices, and their coach, a young guy named Nuno Manta.
  8. Aug 7, 2017

Supports:
    SLBenfica
    In order to expect to be competitive in the world cup with some fresh talent, let's hope this is the year that Gelson finally explodes. He has everything, just need to be more regular, sometimes he is great and then disappears. Sporting is clearly having some problems in the uncertainty in the continuity of the captains, both Rui Patricio, Adrien and William are not guaranteedand if two of them leave, you may lack leadership.

Sporting is recovering from a huge crisis, Porto is stucked in one, and Benfica will enter in their own in the first year that we miss the league title, or when Jorge Mendes business collapses. I expect a small downgrade in the level of the league as the main three clubs are selling or willing to sell some of the best players and the ones that are coming don't seem to be that good.
  9. Aug 7, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    First we need to qualify to the WC, knowing Portugal in qualifiers more easily we lose points in Hungary than Switzerland losing in Portugal.
    If he goes, a lot of clubs and people in Portugal and outside will go, don't even know if that's good or bad for the clubs.
    Tbh I think that is already happening every year, and if we add the increasing financial gap to other leagues, no surprise for me, since the Bosman ruling is easy to see where the money goes, tbf the players earn more money and without the money coming from the transfers the main clubs would not survive.
  10. Aug 8, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    More updates about the results of yesterday:

Rio Ave 1-0 Belenenses (37 Francisco Geraldes)
    Feirense 1-1 Tondela (51 Hugo Seco, Cris Santos 28 (p.b.)
    Portimonense 2-1 Boavista (54 Rúben Fernandes 85 Bruno Tabata, Rochinha 21)

Just to give some interesting points to look at Clube Desportivo Feirense:

Their President is a Nigerian named Kunle Soname, the player with higher value in the transfermarket is also Nigerian, Peter Etebo Oghenekaro (1995-11-09), plays mainly as Left Winger.

Got to say for me he was not their best player last season, it was a brasilian keeper named Vaná who is now at Porto, going to be their sub to Casillas.

Probably because it was his first full season in Europe, also he already has 10 caps for Nigeria, and 19 for the Under 23's and made 3 matches at the Olympics in Rio where he scored 4 goals, he has at least some sort of experience in Nigerian youth teams, lets see if he will make a good season, and this year no CAN also a factor to see how he performs.

Can he reach the same level as Amunike? No idea about that.

Other interesting point about them is their coach, a young guy named Nuno Manta Santos (1978-07-25), untill today is a 1 club man, since he was never a professional football player, started coaching their youth teams 20 years ago, worked in all age groups, and was also assistant.

Only in the middle of last season he replaced their coach, they were favourites to go down, and interestingly or not, he is the first coach in their history who not only wasn't relegated, because all the other 4 times they were in the Top Division they always were relegated, they finished the season in 8th place playing good football for their level.

Lets see now what he can do now starting the entire season, of course their main goal will be to survive but he looks a promising 1 to look, and it will be curious to see if in the future other portuguese clubs will target him, and try to see how will he react and develop in a new club, environment and more pressure, but certainly 1 to look for the future.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  11. Aug 8, 2017

Token Sheet Full Member

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re
    Back over on the Algarve in a couple of weeks, will be watching my 2nd team, the mighty Portimonense play Maritimo, at the cauldron that is Estadio Municipal de Portimao. :D
    Great start the other day beating Boavista.
  12. Aug 8, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Good idea, next club I will give some details will be the mighty Portimonense, with the "King of Promotions", Vitor Oliveira. :drool:
  13. Aug 8, 2017

Token Sheet Full Member

That would be great, yes he has done wonders at Portimonense.
    Think we might struggle to stay up but will give it a go.
  14. Aug 8, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Adopted club in Portugal?
  15. Aug 8, 2017

mitchmouse Full Member

I think Ronaldo might opt for one last season back here sometime in the future
  16. Aug 8, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    No way :lol:
  17. Aug 8, 2017

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Who would be considered favorites for the league right now?

Also, what next for Raul Jiminez? Does he stay at Benfica and if so, will he got more chances to start games this season?
  18. Aug 8, 2017

Token Sheet Full Member

I have a holiday apt just outside Portimao near Alvor.
    Subsequently whenever I'm over there, I try and catch a game, so yes I've adopted them of sorts.
    First time I've been able to see them in the top division though.
  19. Aug 8, 2017

Supports:
    SLBenfica
    Benfica, in my opinion, are still the favorites to win the league, but the probability of not being champions encrease each year(last year was the 1st in history that Benfica won 4 tournaments in a row, even in the Eusebio times).

Raul Jimenez is expected to start more games and I believe he will be starter for the following reasons:
    -Mitroglou is getting older and there's still the possibility to leave;
    -Jimenez ended last season in good form and did a good Confederations Cup;
    -He was the biggest transfer ever for Benfica, so there's he need of add value: Was does value a non-starter in a Portuguese league?
  20. Aug 8, 2017

Sly Hang Ten

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    That's great. People usually just flock to support one of the big three with the notable exception of Vitória Guimarães (I don't put Braga in the same level they get about 10k avg). I hope Portimonense does well. Olhanense was a big disappointment. Algarve should have a top division club like in the times of Farense of Faro. So United and Portimonense supporter? It will be a good experience. It's like being in the top/bottom of the "food chain".
  21. Aug 8, 2017

Peyroteo ahahahahah feck off dad!

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Only saw this thread now :wenger:

I think as of now there's not much separating Sporting and Benfica but while the market is open it's impossible to make predictions. Sporting will most likely lose either Adrien or William (hopefully Adrien) and Benfica will buy some defenders.

We had a good first game against Aves, Adrien and Bas Dost were quite poor and we still won fairly confortably which is a good sign. I already love Acuña, he'll be very important.
  22. Aug 8, 2017

Token Sheet Full Member

Yes couldn't agree more about the Algarve having a team in the top division.
    Yes, season ticket holder at Utd and watch Portimonense when I'm over there.
    As you say, one minute I'm in a stadium of 75000 and the next 2000. Couldn't be more different.
    Anyway they've extended the ground this season with temporary seats to accommodate 7000 fans or so.
  23. Aug 8, 2017

Sly Hang Ten

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Those 7000 will be good for the games against the big 3. In the rest i doubt it will make a difference.
    It's always good to try different experiences. I´m a Sporting season ticket holder but when i lived and worked in Northern Wales i used to go watch Colwyn Bay FC matches to get my football fix. The football wasn't top level obviously but i met some good people there and it was fun. Anyways, I hope you have a good time as well.
  24. Aug 8, 2017

Token Sheet Full Member

Thanks, I always do.
    I'm actually hoping Utd get one of the Lisbon clubs in CL this season and hopefully watch Utd in Lisbon and then my Portuguese team in the same week. :drool:
  25. Aug 8, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Near Alvor is better than Praia Da Rocha imo, what a mess!

Anyway like Sly said outside the big 3 Vitoria Guimaraes is the club best supported, but actually the 3 clubs at Algarve have history and people there support them even if they like Benfica, Sporting or Porto.

Regarding Portimonense I think if untill the end of the month they keep the same core of players it will be enough to keep them in Primeira Liga, why would Vitor Oliveira a man who promoted 10 teams risk his reputation?

Beside that, I think they have some sort of connections with football agents who are indirectly connected to Porto, so it might be enough for them, at least in some comments I watched everybody mentioned they played better than Boavista, the only thing I remember from the clubs of Algarve, was that they always were much stronger at home.

The best example was Farense coached by the mitical Spanish Paco Fortes, former Barcelona player, anyway it would be nice if Portimonense can be consistent and if Farense is able to return to top flight.

And by the way, the first club Vitor Oliveira coached in Portugal was Portimonense more than 30 years ago, with the mitical Vitor Damas as a keeper, everything will be fine, if they are not going bankrupt, something very common in Algarve football. :drool:
  26. Aug 8, 2017

Token Sheet Full Member

Yes Alvor is where we go most of the time. Rocha is as you say a mess.

I knew he was ex Portimonense and I assume its one reason hes stayed on and not gone back down to promote another team.

Thanks for the other info as its difficult to keep tabs on them from the UK.

I take it you know Mourinho's dad was from Ferragudo which is just across the river from Portimao.
  27. Aug 8, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    As strange it may sound, I never knew that detail, his father Felix Mourinho was a former GK for Vitoria Setubal and even became portuguese international in the golden era of Vitoria Setubal when they were coached by 1 of the greats in Portugal, José Maria Pedroto.

Always thought he was from the same area, but it is quite common people from southern Portugal tend to leave those areas.
  28. Aug 8, 2017

Token Sheet Full Member

It's well known down there that's where his dad comes from. Mourinho had a villa in Ferragudo for a while.

Local sun bed attendant on Alvor beach keeps bragging that Mourinho is his cousin. :lol:
  29. Aug 9, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    More 1 update of yesterday:

Marítimo 1-0 Paços Ferreira (57 Éber Bessa)

Quite normal in Algarve, Alentejo, Northern Portugal, Madeira or Açores everybody has a cousin everywhere. :D
  30. Aug 10, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    [​IMG]

The league has now officially started.

Seriously though, that was a great game. Jonas is unfortunately still great and Benfica deserved the win. Seferovic came with the lable of being a terrible finisher but he's been scoring for fun too. It's a shame VAR seems to have brought even more controversy into the league
  31. Aug 10, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    More 2 results:

FC Porto 4-0 Estoril Praia (Moussa Marega 35 62, Yacine Brahimi 54, Iván Marcano 70)
    Benfica 3-1 Braga (14 Haris Seferović 30 Jonas 57 Toto Salvio, Ahmed Hassan 43)

Since the only 2 matches I watched this week was Aves vs Sporting and Portimonense vs Boavista, the only thing I can say is that I probably don't need to watch Benfica or Porto because I know already 2 things:

1. Benfica will buy replacements for Ederson, Semedo and Lindelof until the end of the month
    2. Porto will improve massively in their offensive dynamics under Conceição.
    Portimonense is 1 of the clubs who returned to top flight who imo if they keep the players they already have, will not have problem to stay, at least in the match they played against Boavista in Portimão, they played better than them, and 1 of the players to keep an eye is their left fullback, Lumor from Ghana, already a starter for their NT (born in 96).

If it was dependent on me, I would try to keep an eye on him and Etebo from Feirense, probably they will be in the next WC, and they look interesting for Sporting next season, and probably not very expensive.

Now a interesting point related to a article mentioning the transfer of Dalbert:

Some players who went out to play in top 5 Leagues without playing for the Big 3, or leaving without big fees:

Pauleta ( who never played in the Portuguese First division, and went to play at Salamanca under João Alves, then Depor, Bordeaux and PSG).

Jimmy Hasselbaink (believe it or not, was signed in Portugal by Manuel Fernandes at Campomaiorense, next season went to Boavista where he and Nuno Gomes made a good partnership and won the Portuguese Cup, and left for Leeds United at the equivalent price today of 2,78 million euros, incrediby Sporting didn't signed him at the time because he was not good enough, better sign Leandro Machado because he was more expensive, croquetes what else :lol: .

Costinha, (another 1 who didn't played in 1st division when he left Nacional to Monaco coached by Jean Tigana, and played in the same team as Henry, Trezeguet, Barthez, reached semifinals of the Champions League, later returned to Porto to win everything under Mourinho).

There are more good examples, of course normally doesn't work, but the moral of the story is sometimes you don't need to spend big to achieve something. :drool:
  32. Aug 10, 2017

Sly Hang Ten

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Good work with the thread @SCP interesting your last post. Keep it up. I will try to contribute as well
  33. Aug 10, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Thanks mate, whenever is possible I will add some informations, by the way prepare yourself for this information:

Tomorrow is William last game 90/95% sure.
  34. Aug 11, 2017

Sly Hang Ten

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    West Ham bound?
  35. Aug 11, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    We're fecked if William leaves. Why would we sell before the CL playoff?

I really hope that's not true
  36. Aug 11, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Almost sure yes, inside informations in both clubs forums.
    First of all he couldn't play in the first leg with the red card in that miserable match against Legia.

Then you need to take into account he probably has been promised in his last renovation of contract if there was a good offer this time he would like to leave to play in a more competitive league.

Finally, lets wait to see if it is today his last match, but better be prepared, i rather would like to sell Adrien, but it is what it is.
  37. Aug 11, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    He's not even on the bench tonight :( He's really leaving.

Coentrão is being rested too
  38. Aug 11, 2017

barros Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Where liberty dwells, there is my country
    Sporting won 1-0 vs Setúbal, Jesus making the things difficult, when he subbed podenço (?) and doumbia came in we were more dangerous why waiting so long?
  39. Aug 11, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Podence :D

Yeah, that was harder than it needed to be since Setubal were terrible and that was at the very least a pretty controversial penalty that gave us the goal. I like Battaglia but he's no William and Adrien isn't looking very good right now. We're still lacking creativity in midfield. Unless Bruno Fernandes and Podence really step up I can't see us winning the league
  40. Aug 11, 2017

Token Sheet Full Member

Thanks for your update @SCP especially your review of Portimonense:D.

We're apparently 5th in the league. :D

Just to let you know fans were turned away from the Boavista game even though the attendance was only 2700 less than half capacity. Something to do with not enough non members tickets available on the day.

Hope it's sorted before the Maritimo game I'm going to in a couple of weeks.
    It's an 8pm kick off on the sunday, is that the main tv game that weekend in Portugal?