Luke Shaw image Man of the Match Luke Shaw
5.2 Total Average Rating
Luke Shaw image 6.6 Highest Rated Player Luke Shaw
David de Gea image 4.0 Lowest Rated Player David de Gea
  1. Mar 11, 2019

Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær Lutefisk is it!

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    Is no one crediting Xhaka for his wonderful technique? We got beaten by a fantastic strike.
  2. Mar 11, 2019

12OunceEpilogue Full Member Scout

That is very good. We need to be involved in the title race but an exciting race for top four will do for now.
  3. Mar 11, 2019

gerdm07 Full Member

Tottenham have Liverpool and MC away. I think we have a better chance of overtaking Tottenham than Liverpool.
  4. Mar 11, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

DDG went to early. Not the first time Xhaka shoots that way.
  5. Mar 11, 2019

Shark @NotShark

Not sure races for the top four are ever exciting, just ridiculously frustrating and tense. It’s not like you win anything at the end, it’s just a position. Give me a trophy any day if the week over it.
  6. Mar 11, 2019

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    Dave moving early is part of the shot's design. It's supposed to look like it's going to bend and then it swerves halfway through. The physics and technique are wonderful.
  7. Mar 11, 2019

Bill Hartzia New Member

6th and an FA Cup?
  8. Mar 11, 2019

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

Down to some individuals who didnt play well. Started with DDG and Lukaku who couldnt score his chances while Rashford also had a poor game. Fred I thought was excellent though.

Shame, we really missed the opportunity to move further up, now we are in trouble again
  9. Mar 11, 2019

12OunceEpilogue Full Member Scout

Agreed, but I'm happy with this level of excitement versus where Jose was likely taking us; knocking around the Europa places out of all the cups. Considering this is a repair job Ole is doing I'm made up to still be battling on a few fronts against good teams.
  10. Mar 11, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Yeah, and when you know that Xhaka sometimes is able to perform a knuckleball then you could account for this in how you react.
    Not saying that it was a big mistake, but i think more and more players are going to incorporate the knuckleballtech into their "tool box" and we will see more situations similar to the one yesterday in the coming seasons.
  11. Mar 11, 2019

Shark @NotShark

If it meant we had a better shot at going straight for the league title next season I’d take it. Especially if the scousers end up winning it.
  12. Mar 11, 2019

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Arsenal have a cake walk of a run in, we better hope Spurs drop some key games against top 6 clubs.
  13. Mar 11, 2019

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    To be fair, our midfield gave him the space and time needed to pull that off.

Also, from what I was told, a knuckleball shot is more of a toe punt and fairly unpredictable. Xhaka's shot is a refined technique and will always behave the same way. Doesn't make dealing with it any easier, mind.
  14. Mar 11, 2019

Rafaeldagold Full Member

Just one of those days. Didn’t play too bad, had chances. Their pen was soft.
    Draw would have been fair.
  15. Mar 11, 2019

DSG Full Member

I think DDG himself would say that he should have saved it. Yes, it swerved, but it was saveable. He was wrong footed and saw it late.

The penalty was ridiculous. Absolute dive.

I felt we were more dangerous going forward. Left side combinations were brilliant at times. We lacked finishing.

I feel Ole got his tactics right, we just didn’t execute.
  16. Mar 11, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Knuckleball --> lack of spin makes it unpredictable. Different methods to achieve the "no-spin/low spin" of the ball, but that is what a knuckleball is.
    The shot yesterday was a knuckleball. What was special about Xhakas shot yesterday was that with his positioning of the body relative too the goal, and the motion of his left foot and follow though then it was likely that the ball was going to have that motion in the air.
  17. Mar 11, 2019

AgentP Full Member

This is the least upset I have been after a loss. Everyone knew we were going to lose one sooner or later. But the wonderful run we have been on so far has made sure that this loss won't affect our top 4 chances that much and everything is still in our hands. We didn't play too bad either. In games like this, the first goal makes a big difference. So, overall am not worried at all and I hope we return to winning ways in the next game.
  18. Mar 11, 2019

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    I agree with everything but the first part. That shot works because initially it looks like it's going to bend. That said, he never should have had the time and space to do it.

I though the game was ours for the taking until that pen.
  19. Mar 11, 2019

Supports:
    Moanchester United

It's wasn't a knuckleball.

By the end of your post you are starting to comprehend what Xhaka did, though.

He shapes his body and swings his leg to bend the ball, imparting mild spin in one direction. As the ball leaves his foot, he drags his boot across it, imparting spin in the opposite direction. Midway through the trajectory, the bending arc gives way to the swerve and the ball changes direction. Done right, the ball will behave the same way every time. It's completely predictable and almost ballistic science. The part where you add spin the in the opposite direction is really difficult, though, so it's rare to see these shots come off perfectly like yesterday. Whenever I tried them, they'd hit the bar.
  20. Mar 11, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Really. For me it was awful goalkeeping and definitely not a fantastic strike.
  21. Mar 11, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Certainly not. We were decidedly average but so were the Goonners.
  22. Mar 11, 2019

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    Take a ball out and try to repeat it. It's a skill.

People letting xS go to their heads around here.
  23. Mar 11, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

No spin --> Knuckleball.
    This shot had no spin until it reached the "breaking point", where it started to get a little spin. And this can be called a knuckleball.
    But i agree with you that the trajectory will be the same each time this is performed in the same way.
    Replacating this trajectory is only doable when the ball is rolling perpendicular to where you are aiming and it will "spin" after the breaking point in the same direction the ball was rolling pre-shot. Impossible to replicate with a ball lying still.
  24. Mar 11, 2019

Hoof The Ball Full Member

I'm surprised to see Ozil on social media claiming it was a "brilliant performance".

Really? A great result, yes. Brilliant performance? really?

They scored from a soft penalty that perhaps never should have been, and primarily from a shot that, quite frankly, shouldn't have beaten De Gea. Outside of those things, not only did we have the better of the second half, but also half of the first half. We created much better clear cut chances, and it was only when we were two down that we opened up enough for them to have an effectiveness on a counter-attack.
  25. Mar 11, 2019

Just curious, does anyone think that McTominay was a little unlucky not to start against Arsenal on the account of his recent performances?
  26. Mar 11, 2019

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    I learned to do this with a dead ball.

Strike it like you're going to bend it. As you're hitting it, point your foot down and rip the top of your foot across the ball. Your leg swing adds the bend and it takes time for the swerve your foot is imparting to take over. That's how the trajectory changes inid-flight. It's tons of fun to practice but so complicated that it almost never comes off right. It's also best from about 20-25 yards.

Knuckleballs are fun, too, but the old Chelsea supporter who told me about them just said to hit the ball in the middle with your big toe. Those ones have a mind of their own.
  27. Mar 11, 2019

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    Yes, absolutely. Matic was not at the races. Should have been a sub.
  28. Mar 11, 2019

Redlyn Full Member

Reading that I thought for a moment i was on a PSG forum on the post match thread vs us (not the last sentence though).
  29. Mar 11, 2019

Agreed.

I'll put my hands up and admit that I thought very little of McTominay not too long ago, however, he's proven to me that he's got a big mentality, and the reality is, he's always overachieved in terms of what is expected of him. I like to think that meritocracy is in place. If Matic is out injured and someone else is just doing the job immensely, it ought to be that you don't automatically walk back into the team.
  30. Mar 11, 2019

Roy'sMagicHat New Member

I'm still absolutely gutted about the result. Went straight to the gym after the game to try and take out some of my anger! It's suddenly dawned on me though that's it's been years since I've been this down over a result. Like plenty more of you, I've just become accustomed to draws and defeats in the post Fergie years. That's testament to OGS and the positivity he's brought in such a short time.

We're down now and it's still a serious ask to make top 4 but I'm very optimistic for the future!
  31. Mar 11, 2019

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

At some point we had to lose and this was the game. DdG mistake, doubtful penalty and we miss everything in front of goal and there you have it. Not a bad game, just bad luck on a bad day.

Time to close the analysis and move forward. We still has a very good chance to finish in top four.
  32. Mar 11, 2019

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    He's beefed up lately, too. Been impressed with his last few displays. Need to learn to accept that the kids take time to develop consistency.
  33. Mar 11, 2019

peridigm Full Member

Yes. If there is one thing to put blame on Ole for, it's the fact that Matic started over Scott.
  34. Mar 11, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

I would still call this a version of a knuckleball, as it changes direction after the "breaking point". Only that this versions trajectory can be predicted.
    I prefered Reus set piece technique during the last seasons that i played on a regular basis. Easier to control, can be used when shooting, crossing and taking corners. And most importantly: less likely to get ligament issues in the ankle. If i recall correctly, the WC ball used during the 2004 world cup was supereasy to perform knuckleballs with, and in general easier to do this on Adidasballs compared to Nike and other brands (due to better grip on the ball).
  35. Mar 11, 2019

reddevil702 Full Member

Thought we did well overall. We just weren't clinical enough and that horrible PK really put the game away.
  36. Mar 11, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

Im not mad at all, we had a good game with really specifical mistakes. Sometimes it happens, for all the clinical Lukaku had been yesterday he missed 2 enormous chances that should end in goal 9/10 times. De Gea's mistake was a really odd one as well, and the doubtful penalty it just wasnt our day.

We seemed to run all our luck against PSG. We must now focus on Wolves because if we don't get the three points there I think we can say good bye to top 4.
  37. Mar 11, 2019

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Wolves is the F.A. Cup.
  38. Mar 11, 2019

Drz Full Member

I thought that was a mitigated performance by Fred, every time he did something good, he followed up with a disappointing move.
    The good news for is that I feel it is a matter of acclimatisation to the premier league rhythm, sometimes it just feels like he thinks he has more time on the ball when he actually doesn't/needs to execute quicker.
  39. Mar 11, 2019

SAFMUTD Full Member

:D my mistake, just looked and our next game in EPL is until March 30th against Watford that gives us time to get some injured players back hopefully.
  40. Mar 11, 2019

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    Fair enough, I'm thinking too much of baseball anyway. :lol: