Post Match Vs Everton

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Ole's_toe_poke, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Apr 22, 2012

gulli_G Full Member

shambles absolute shambles, rafael is not a first team regular, and evra cant defend anymore, he might aswell play the wing,
  2. Apr 22, 2012

Plan M Banned

Kneejerk alert!

Rafael has been very good in recent games and will get better. He's still young and learning the game, the raw talent is obvious for everyone to see.

I prefer him at right back than Jones or Smalling.
  3. Apr 22, 2012

WR Formerly Wayne_Rooney_Roolz

Just got back from the match. 3rd this season and they have been 2 losses and a draw. :(

My take, bare in mind I haven't saw any highlights of the goals yet:

I was alarmed how much time Fellaini was given to do whatever he wanted with the ball. The amount of times he took it down from a goal kick relatively easy and then had time to make a pass was scary. It was like the whole team were thinking, "This guy is bigger than us, we're not gonna beat him in the air, let's not go to the effort of trying."

We were great going forward at times. Nani's goal and Rooney's second were brilliant. It's what we haven't done that much at home this season - saw through the defence of teams with great football.

Welbeck finally had that end product he's so nearly had all season.

We missed Vidic. Evans & Rio have been great - no doubt about it. But Vidic is the type of defender that doesn't take scare away from a challenge. He'd beat Jelavic and Fellaini in the air every time and wouldn't take any shit. He certainly wouldn't give Everton so much respect on the ball. Evans and Rio are great and one game shouldn't completely diminish the reputation they've built together this season, but in a game like today they struggled. They're more tactical type defenders & combined with Scholes and Carrick who are hardly tough tacklers, we left them too much thinking time in the final third.

Rafael is erratic. We all know that. I think he will be our future RB but he needs to be more disciplined. I think that's definitely solvable. Evra was also poor. He hasn't been at his best for a while.

Scholes was much less involved. I can't recall a single long range cross field pass he made. His lack of influence was telling. He played well but he wasn't at the centre of everything and that showed as we were in much less control, more-so in the first half.

Nani was great. Valencia was decent, but like Scholes, less involved.
  4. Apr 22, 2012

McLovin Bites pillows thinking of John Terry

Was there too mate, and very much agree with your post, especially the point about Fellaini.

Edit: And stop watching us live! :D
  5. Apr 22, 2012

What did you make of Everton's first? I was sat at the opposite end of the pitch and to me it looked like De Gea was at fault. Why was he stood where he was?
  6. Apr 22, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

It was a stunning looped header from an acute angle. Nothing any keeper could have anticipated or done anything about.
  7. Apr 22, 2012

I was sat right next to that goal (right above corner flag between the Stretty and the Northstand).

Haven't seen a TV replay of it yet, but from my view it was a cracking header, went right into the side netting.
  8. Apr 22, 2012

Ah fair enough then.
  9. Apr 22, 2012

RK Full Member

Agree with everything Wayne_Rooney said, apart from his question about their first goal.

However, please don't go to any more matches.
  10. Apr 22, 2012

Hey, I was at the 3-2 vs Villa game with Macheda. When Rio took that shot at the end I thought it was gonna be another one of those moments. :D
  11. Apr 22, 2012

Yeah, I did too. 5-4 would have been a classic game.

Not meant to be this time.
  12. Apr 22, 2012

RK Full Member

What's with Everton and comebacks against us? 3-1 and 4-2 in 80-something minutes to 4-4, 3-1 to 3-3 in injury time last season, and that time we had to score a winner to go 4-3 after leading 3-0.
  13. Apr 22, 2012

Hal9000 Full Member

Was working during the game, missed MOTD2 and just seen the goals on one of those footy highlight website.

Looks like all of the goals were down the full backs again. e.g not closing down the crosser, not going with the man.

Position we need to strengthen next season, a position Patrice Evra needs some competition in.
  14. Apr 23, 2012

untitled_6899 Full Member

I was at the game and I'm sure if I was a neutral it would have been an enjoyable game, every one of the 8 goals was well worked. I thought the atmosphere was pretty good too.

I was gutted we could not claim victory but if we have to score 5 goals at home to win then something is seriously wrong. We weren't proactive enough and instead started making substitutions after the damage had been done. Why not bring on an extra midfielder earlier? Everton had a good spell of possession before their third and fourth goals.

Our attacking play was very good but our defensive liabilities and nervousness (from earlier this season) looks like its returned, I really hope we can address this soon.
  15. Apr 23, 2012

Danny1982 Full Member

is, stop going to the f***ing games!
  16. Apr 23, 2012

Relevated Moral Guide

are you going to the derby?
  17. Apr 23, 2012

I wish! The last derby I went too was when we beat them in the 2nd leg in the CC with a Rooney injury time winner. :drool:

Looking at Jelavic's header on MOTD now I can see how it wasn't his fault. Great header really.
  18. Apr 23, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

You suck at being a fan. Give it up!
  19. Apr 23, 2012

devilish Full Member

What truly shocked me is the lack of leadership and fighting spirit the defensive department (def + DM) had shown. It seemed to me that they didn't even made the effort to control the flow of goals going against their way. We've seen this happening for far too often especially in Europe.
  20. Apr 23, 2012

EricaNo7 Full Member

Everton had absolutely nothing to lose today , so there wasnt going to be any caginess from them. Sadly, they played very well, and Phil Neville surely left here too soon.
  21. Apr 23, 2012

misterredmist Full Member

Cracking game, cracking goals from both teams - however, giving Filliani the freedom to do whatever he wished , inviting balls into the box, and then ball watching cost us dearly.... 3-1 it should have been closed out, goodnight Vienna.

I blame the early kick-off time - our defenders biorythms aren't up to it !
  22. Apr 23, 2012

Sam Full Member

Am I the only the one that just can't get over this match?

I spent all last night tossing and turning, going over and over it in my head. 3-1...4-2...Evra hits the post etc etc That feeling when Nani, then Rooney put us 2 goals up and you felt that relief. Then to collapse like that. So frustrating. I honestly don't remember a result annoying me as much as this one in a long long time, even defeats!
  23. Apr 23, 2012

Vidicious Flop

Its basically a one off game to win the league. Weve already had one of those at the Ethihad this season in the FA Cup and we won when no one gave us a chance. Keep the faith.
  24. Apr 23, 2012

manux399 Full Member

Ah FFS people, if at Xmas someone had said with 3 games to go we'd be 3pts clear we'd have taken that..! Sure we can loose at City a draw seems the most likely to me but you know what really fires a team up to win a title is probably a game at the enemies ground...! Have some faith folks this ain't over yet, I'd be more nervous if I was a City player having to play us and Newcastle.

Think SAF will put out the stoppers next week and tighten the midfield keep it 0-0 and hope for the usual Scholesie 89th winner. Everyone says the leagues in Citys hands now, what rubbish that is.! I'm sure they'd take a 3 point lead and a trip to OT.! Heads up we didn't get 19 by not turning up for games like this one.!
  25. Apr 23, 2012

adam118 Full Member

I was the same. I felt far worse than I did when we lost to Arsenal in a very similar position last season.

I cannot get past the fact that we never made any changes. I just hope Fergie wasn't thinking of a possibilty of a draw with sunderland and trying to get the goal difference up.
  26. Apr 23, 2012

Name Changed weso26

I'm the same. Disgusted by it. And if we end up not winning the league, this is the match that I will blame for it.

Still, no need to panic.
  27. Apr 23, 2012

Rednails Full Member

Depends on HOW he tightens midfield.
  28. Apr 23, 2012

kf Full Member

I was there too and this is a pretty sound analysis although I thought Scholes played well, just Everton had more to offer than recent opponents. I haven't watched the game on TV yet, have it recorded but I'm not sure I want to watch it!

We played some really good stuff going forward and Rooney, Welbeck and Nani all clicked together really well. Felaini was very infuential for them and it was very noticable that he would take the ball on his chest rather than try to flick it on. It wasn't such a problem when he was doing that in midfield but it really wasn't a good idea to let him do it in the penalty area...

The first goal in particular, I thought it was way too easy for Hibbert to get his cross in due to a mixture of Evra being out of position and Nani not closing the ball down quickly enough. I reckon Hibbert actually over hit that cross but it was a great header back into the side netting, the only place it could have gone in I think.

As usual, an over reaction on here to a less than perfect result. City didn't actually play very well yesterday, did anyone notice? All set up for next Monday. For most of the game yesterday, we were all thinking we could finish it by winning at City and actually if we'd won against Everton, I'd be pretty confident we would beat City. The reality is that yesterday's result doesn't make a difference to next Monday's game. We're perfectly capable of beating them and we'd need one more point to settle the title if we do.

Bring it on.