1. If you are having difficulty resetting your password in order to login to your account, please try again. There was a bug which is now fixed.
    Dismiss Notice

FA Cup 3rd Round

Man Utd 2:0 Reading Post-match discussion

Sat, 05 January 2019

Sergio Romero image Man of the Match Sergio Romero
5.6 Total Average Rating
Sergio Romero image 7.1 Highest Rated Player Sergio Romero
Scott McTominay image 4.7 Lowest Rated Player Scott McTominay
  1. Jan 5, 2019

Djemba-Djemba Full Member

I think everyone is still in a much more positive frame of mind than 3 weeks ago and we did win after all.

But there's no point going all RAWK or North Korea and pretending everything is now brilliant. We were rotten today, that was as bad as anything we've seen under Mourinho.

It sounds like Ole himself knew it was bad though and took the blame as opposed to Mourinho who would have seen nothing wrong with our display and blamed the players if he thought there was an issue.
  2. Jan 5, 2019

buckooo1978 Full Member

ha! pretty spot on
  3. Jan 5, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    When we signed him from Blackburn I really thought he was going to be a top top defender.

Injuries and being played out of position many times has affected his development.

He can often look rather clumsy. Maybe he does not read the game as well as he should but it is a shame that he has not progressed as much as he could or should.
    I am sure he is a nice guy but is he good enough?
  4. Jan 5, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

It's easy to forget that he's only 26 years old and most defenders tend to gather their best form once they hit somewhere between 28-32. I'm not saying Jones will go on to be a Chellini or something but his best years are probably yet to come or at the very least, we could do a lot worse as a back up CB.

I think he's good enough to keep a round for a few years, him and Smalling. We should just sign a WC CB to partner Lindelöf and we're good.
  5. Jan 5, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

:lol::lol: At McTominay being rated the lowest player of the match on here despite Darmian being hugely absent for most of the game, Pereira, Fred and Mata being shit and Chong doing his best to get sent off.

Let it go lads, Mourinho's gone, don't worry about it.
  6. Jan 5, 2019

TheRedHearted New Member

I think it’s dangerous staying in second gear. Becomes muscle memory
  7. Jan 5, 2019

AndyMUFC Full Member

Yeah, that was bad today. Won it through moments from our front three.

Think we got away with it too really because it was as bad as that Derby game in the League Cup, with the Championship side again dominating possession and creating more chances. Difference is they're better than Reading.

Job done though I suppose, and at least it shows Ole that there is a massive gap between our first and second eleven.
  8. Jan 5, 2019

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

A horrible performance.

At least we won.

We need 1 more top quality midfielder for rotation.
  9. Jan 5, 2019

PieCrust Full Member

Players rested, result in, never was in any real danger. Good enough for me. Onward.

Sure, disappointing none of the players really showed anything, but I think it's a bit much to expect too much with 9 changes.

Hopefully Sanchez is available for Spurs.
  10. Jan 5, 2019

Charlie Foley Full Member

Just off a flight so only seeing the goals. That’s two “proper striker’s goals” for Lukaku in our last two games now
  11. Jan 5, 2019

r3idy Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Given the changes and the time of year, i.e right after xmas, not surprised by that performance. Midfield I thought was extremely slow at moving the ball as soon as they got possession and I don't think Reading pressed us THAT hard.

That said no daft yellows or reds for those who are seen as first XI. No injuries either. Lots of moaning about today's game but we progressed to the next round, clean sheet intact, players rested and players who need game time, got game time. We all look to Fergies time with rose tinted glasses but let's have it right, he had plenty of games like this. We have also done worse at this stage with a stronger team, Lids 2010 anyone?
  12. Jan 5, 2019

haram Full Member

He was the best midfielder. It’s like people cant stand the fact they have been calling for Fred and Pereira to play instead of him and then they fecked it up.
  13. Jan 5, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I would say all three were similarly crap and the people scapegoating individuals are revealing their bias.

Maybe, just maybe, McTominay was the pick of a pretty dreadful bunch on the basis of a solid(ish) performance when he sat deep in the second half but all I can say with confidence is that none of them were good enough today. Against really poor opposition. Miles below the standard we need for a PL game. Pogba, Matic and Hererra are so far ahead of them it’s a bit of a worry.
  14. Jan 5, 2019

haram Full Member

Which is a fair opinion, but there is no reason why he should be the lowest rated player.
  15. Jan 5, 2019

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Well someone has to be the lowest rated played and in a game where every single player was wank it’s basically a toss up for the lowest rated. For example, @crossy1686 seems to think Darmian should have that honour but I actually think he has a case for being our best player on the night (which Ole seemed to think as well, based on his post-match comments) If the whole team stinks the place out I’d say all bets are off when it comes to deciding who was best/worse on the night. Reminds me of that joke we’re not allowed to make any more about arguing on the internet and the special olympics.
  16. Jan 5, 2019

haram Full Member

I think it’s obvious people have something against Scott, but it is what it is. No point in arguing about it.
  17. Jan 5, 2019

Harry190 Full Member

It wasn't that bad honestly. It was a very comfortable victory. Did not need more than 90%.

Biggest thing to take from this is the difference between a fully blooded youth and a green one. Physically, worlds apart.

Rashford-Chong.
  18. Jan 5, 2019

Red00012 New Member

McTominay wasn’t the worst anyway and I dont know what he actually does, so disappointed in Fred and Pereira it was a big opportunity for them but they didn’t take advantage.

Herrera and Matic won’t be too worried about losing their places anytime soon.
  19. Jan 5, 2019

mu4c_20le Full Member

Calling McTominay our best midfielder is basically saying he made the least mistakes. They were all poor. Maybe he only passed 5 yards i dont know, but i suppose he lost the ball the least compared to the other two. His best moments were near the end of the game when he literally made like a tree, and just stood in front of the Reading players when they ran at him, and successfully blocked a pass or two. Other than that he just ran around alot.
  20. Jan 5, 2019

haram Full Member

No one said he was amazing, but considering the opinion people seemed to have of the other two midfielders and the criticism Scott gets, it’s clear to see why he is being rated the lowest. People are being dishonest.
  21. Jan 5, 2019

Gary_Walsh_Nou_Camp_Hell New Member

Maybe give him time to adapt to English football?

He's been here six months, played feck all after jose froze him out. Give him a break and lets see how he comes on.
  22. Jan 5, 2019

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    I remember in 2008 when our second string 11 put Arsenal to the sword and Nani was dancing around like a circus porpoise.

These players should be playing like the first team does. They know they’re not in the first team so play with passion and freedom and see what happens. Two Brazilians in that midfield... I expect better
  23. Jan 5, 2019

minoo-utd Full Member

Thoughts after today:
    Dalot not ready at all to be our R.B.
    Fred,Mctominay and Perrera never our standards and not even okay to be squad players.
    Fellaini ok you know.
  24. Jan 5, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

You should know by now common sense isn't appreciated on here. :nono:
  25. Jan 5, 2019

Raven Full Member

I hear what you're saying, but Reading are nearly a league 1 team. We lost the midfield battle mainly because of this fella, his awareness is absolutely horrendous.
  26. Jan 5, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

Best? He done zilch in the advanced midfield position and likewise Periera. Fred was a bit more positive.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  27. Jan 5, 2019

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Jesus did I just read correctly, someone was saying Darmian was the worst player today?
    Mc Tominay wasn’t better than Fred today, not a chance and Fred wasn’t even that good, you could you could arguably throw a blanket over the 3 of them but the good things Fred and Pereira did far out weigh what Scott did.

Usual suspects I see upon closer inspection.
  28. Jan 5, 2019

tenpoless Full Member

Played badly and still won. How many times have We done that during SAF era?
    Just enjoy the win, our midfield was non-existent. If I were Ole I would have expected better from Pereira and Fred too. I mean it was only Reading. But at least, He learned something.
  29. Jan 5, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

No we didn't. I'm watching the game right now and he was fine. The tempo of the game was absolutely shocking , like a testominial or the first game of pre season. he was one of the players leading our press and the few times we got the ball in space he made some nice passes. Far from the disaster you guys are making.
  30. Jan 5, 2019

Ashley R1+O New Member

Crap performance, not really that unexpected given how the season is going and just dumping out the bench for some minutes. "Ole clearly sabotaging the team a'la Valencia innit."

That Loader kid. What a name. "Loader", dunno why but it sounds like one of those cool professional athlete names. "Loader."
  31. Jan 5, 2019

Raven Full Member

Maybe I missed something, but I thought he was shocking. His touch, awareness and decision making were amateurish from what I could see.
  32. Jan 5, 2019

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

You're not really suggesting that the entire forum voted dishonestly because they dislike Mctominay, are you?

I mean that's just crazy.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  33. Jan 5, 2019

haram Full Member

Enough to make him the lowest rated.
  34. Jan 5, 2019

RedRoseTyke New Member

I remember a striker named Gerd Mueller, who fitted that description.

• 453 appearances for Bayern and 398 goals
    • 62 international appearances and 68 goals
  35. Jan 5, 2019

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Why would anyone do that, least of all fans of the club?

Is there not a possibility in your mind that, maybe, the majority just considered Mctominay to be the least effective player on the pitch?
  36. Jan 5, 2019

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Pereira is world class at swivelling on the ball then doing nothing with it.
  37. Jan 5, 2019

SadlerMUFC Full Member

I was working and had the game on but didn't get to see much, however it seemed like from what I did get to see that Reading was taking it to us. Seemed like they were the better team on the day, but we had better end product. Seemed like a "Mourinho-esque" type of performance and once again the fringe players don't seem to be doing themselves much favour. In the end, we are through to the next round so I guess that's the most important part...
  38. Jan 5, 2019

Tony Banta New Member

Typical 3rd round cup performance, from a PL side against lower league opposition. We’ve had plenty ourselves over the years, Derby last season, Sheff Utd a few years back. Job done, move on to the next round. I know, we expect our players to put maximum effort into every game, but this was, a turn up and we’ll win, ‘it’s Reading lads’, with a second string side.

It was always going to be a disjointed performance, lots of changes, plenty lacking Match sharpness, due to Injuries and lack of involvement over recent weeks. Plenty of players, in single figures for appearances this season. I’m guessing this XI has never played together.

Sanchez, although seemingly picking up yet another knock, got more minutes under his belt, same for Lukaku, although I don’t think he should be first choice, when all available.

I won’t critique every player, but I think as much as Pereira looks comfortable on the ball, I don’t know his best position, and I feel time for him at United is running out, Fred needs this season to bed in, there’s definitely talent there, I thought Darmian was very good in an unfimilar position and Scott Mctominay, needs a loan and regular football.
  39. Jan 5, 2019

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Apt way to summarize him.
  40. Jan 5, 2019

Synco Full Member

Nah, that's not true. Müller wasn't a terrible football player at all, rather a very good one.