Man Utd 2:0 Reading Post-match discussion

Sat, 05 January 2019

Sergio Romero image Man of the Match Sergio Romero
5.6 Total Average Rating
Sergio Romero image 7.1 Highest Rated Player Sergio Romero
Scott McTominay image 4.7 Lowest Rated Player Scott McTominay
  1. Jan 5, 2019

haram Full Member

I have already explained in previous posts.
  2. Jan 6, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

Ole assessed the performance correctly. We couldn’t keep the ball at all and were poor at pressing them. It really didn’t help that Romero hoofed it everytime. I won’t judge him though. I also wouldn’t trust midfielders who constantly lost the ball in dangerous areas.

I still prefer that our manager now recognizes the isssues. Hopefully he has the ability and the right players to solve it.
  3. Jan 6, 2019

The Irish Connection Full Member

Yes. I’m hoping the honeymoon isn’t over. We looked a bit sluggish at times against Newcastle too.
    Maybe we’re putting too much emphasis on getting the clean sheet.

Still, as others have said, it was a typical enough 3rd round game with loads of changes against weak opposition, so let’s hope we batter spurs :p
  4. Jan 6, 2019

Infra-red Full Member

New manager bounces always come to an end eventually. The performance wasn't great, but many of these players are simply not good enough, and there's not much Ole or anyone else can do about that.

Pleased with the win anyway and interested to see how we'll approach the Spurs game.
  5. Jan 6, 2019

Rifer Full Member

Terrible, from the back to the front. Just wow effort.

No complain to Ole and co, it's a fair starting 11, he's giving these players chances.. and many spoilt it. The interesting thing is he made proactive changes early, the subs and second half alteration.

DEF
    Romero 8/10 playing long ball after long ball, to Lukaku. Pretty sure we're done with this target man long ball shit, but then again, he's not really known to be good with his feet passing the ball around. Need help but sadly our ball-playing CBs are rested (Victor) and suspended (Bailly). No Matic nor Herrera either to receive deep well. Solid keeping nonetheless.

Darmian 7/10 fine, solid job, nothing spectacular.
    Jones 4/10 as usual Phil is Phil, thankfully Reading is shit.

Young 5/10 struggle shit against freaking Reading, only came to live join attacking in the 80s mins.

Dalot 3/10, the feck is he doing, only bother to start playing in the 83th mins showing his talents. Passenger before that with shit runnings, shit crossings and shit passings. Hiding before that, Cleverly no jutsu.​

MID
    Pereira 4/10, at CDM 1st half, rubbbish shit. CM #8 2nd half, same. Passenger. Only bothered to run his lazy ass off starting the 79th mins. Only then showed his talents. Hiding before that, Cleverly no jutsu.

McT 7/10, 1st half as #8 he and Fred are the only ones running receiving passes and pressing people around. 2nd half as holding CDM, did fine. Did only one shit thing when Dalot? lose the ball, McT just let that runners run up the left wing like what the feck is Scott doing... fine if not that. Otherwise, did what all the other players bar some who also did fine, should be doing -- play football, just try to do that.

Fred 6/10, not really that bad. The one who showed the most appetite/hunger but shit decision making. He kept on picking the risk and risk options, it doesn't always success, and the many times it fails, our defence is unsettled. The few times it succeed, other players feck it up. He's a risk, fair sub out, but I think he should stay.​

ATK
    *goals aside, this trio is a shit combo, lack energy, lack positivity, lack youth, doesn't combine well with each other for some reason, yeah I know Sanchez gave a good assist to Lukaku, that aside, they just don't look for each other. Doesn't fit our new high press system at all. Slow, and for some reason, two of these trio is lazy today. No excuse of fatigue, they don't even play that much previous games. Rashford who played in all previous games gave a better workrate than these two, that says it all.*

Mata 4/10 that winning foul move and score from penalty aside, shit overall all-around performance by Mata, so unexpected. He's still following Mourinho's instructions of not pressing high and stay back defending spaces.... what the hell. Lazy ass today, suppose to lead the young and new midfield but no. Shit leadership.

Sanchez 4/10 waste of money alright. He's suppose to provide the high press and being all-out in this game. But nope, so lazy today. Only contribution is the assist and few good attacking runnings. Suppose to be leading the team today, especially the young and new midfield, but alas shit leadership.

Lukaku 6/10 not bad. Goal again, and runnings, passes here and there. But seriously, our high press is terrible with him leading the front teeth of our attacks. He tried to press of course, credit for trying, bad quality of press play though, did one strong press, otherwise shit presses. Team attacking play with him is fine though, it's against small team, and certainly a lot better if he would choose the runnings behind route instead of target man play. Better system for him this new one. Could have pass to Sanchez for a cleaner scoring chances twice, but then he doesn't really have the vision.
    SUBS
    + Yeap, Ole got this one spot on. Mata have to go out. Chong improves the energy at the front. Sanchez is also terrible, and Rashford improves the energy up front further. Strangely after that, our midfield and FBs then decides to join in attacks, better attacking by Pereira, Young and Dalot. The changes coincide with their sudden improved performances. Fellaini also provide that stability for the previous shit #8 and FBs to finally attack properly with confidence. Was hoping for Fellaini to give a greater impacts but this will do.

---

Overall,
    Job done but massively disappointed with the work-rate of many players (not all). I don't mind if they struggle, but where the feck is the positive play?! and high energy?! high press?! play the freaking United way damn it. I highly doubt this is Ole and co's instructions telling these many players to play the boring way.
  6. Jan 6, 2019

Wheato Full Member

It was a second string team, with players that aren't long term. We know it, they know it. It could've have easily occurred during Fergies reign. A team of misfits struggling against a lesser side, but still getting through. The positives we can take...Sanchez and Lukaku had a run out. They assisted and scored. Chong came on and suddenly the right hand side opened up. The misfits won. Most of them will probably not be around for long.
  7. Jan 6, 2019

JMack1234 Full Member

It was a team with 9 changes and it's important that we remember that.
  8. Jan 6, 2019

Steerpike Full Member

A bit of a nothing performance really, but always likely with so many changes made. I thought the performances of Lukaku, Sanchez and Darmian were encouraging, but Romero was probably our best player.

Job done, some useful lessons learned, and we're into the 4th round. Not much more to say really.
  9. Jan 6, 2019

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

Its interesting that the press werent as negative about United's Reading performance as the fans here. More forgiving.
  10. Jan 6, 2019

stevoc Full Member

Great result, terrible performance. Darmian was probably man of the match which says it all really.
  11. Jan 6, 2019

mu4c_20le Full Member

Because we really weren't that bad. some people in the match thread said we were dominated, that wasnt true at all, it was a fairly even contest with a lot of battles and possession lost in midfield. both had chances, we took ours.
  12. Jan 6, 2019

Nr.7 New Member

This was a second string side, most players that haven’t played in a while.
    Job done.
  13. Jan 6, 2019

Get In Scholesy Full Member

Precisely. Along with only 1 Centre back, that being Philip Jones.
  14. Jan 6, 2019

Guoan New Member

Supports:
    Beijing Guoan
    Indeed, that embarrassment against Crawley comes to mind.
  15. Jan 6, 2019

nainaisson New Member

He should have started over McTominay. I hope Solskjaer doesn't belong to the "Fellaini isn't a United player" school of United supporters, but I fear he may. Hopefully, seeing how our midfield got bullied has convinced him how important Fellaini and his legendary elbows can be.
  16. Jan 6, 2019

prateik Full Member

Mc Tominay the lowest rated player .. holy feck.. the caf is hilarious at times :lol:
  17. Jan 6, 2019

WR10 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I wouldn't have ranked him as the lowest, but he had a bad game. Anytime he was asked to produce a glimmer of football creativity to get himself out of a tight situation, he failed. He failed every single time and looked exactly like the player he is. Bang average. He should not be playing at this level.
  18. Jan 6, 2019

minoo-utd Full Member

He is 22 mate and he is so shit tbh.
  19. Jan 6, 2019

minoo-utd Full Member

Watching the likes of Jones, Dalot, Young, Mctominay, Fred, Perrera made me think very much about we need an overhaul or something. Such never our standards bunch of players.
  20. Jan 6, 2019

Himannv Full Member

The point is that he shouldn't be lowest rated for this specific game, which is fair enough.
  21. Jan 6, 2019

haram Full Member

What’s his age got to do with how he performed yesterday?
  22. Jan 6, 2019

minoo-utd Full Member

If there's any sign of improvement, it should have been shown at this age, I can't see him gets any better, for me he is not even a P.L quality.
  23. Jan 6, 2019

haram Full Member

What’s that got to do with how he performed yesterday?
  24. Jan 6, 2019

rollingstoned1 Full Member

Such an ode to mourinhoball this game. Again felt like a waste of 2 hours.
  25. Jan 6, 2019

sdb4884 Full Member

Would have nice to have seen Garner play.
  26. Jan 6, 2019

rollingstoned1 Full Member

Uh. City wanted him and I don't get this. Lots of great players have come from Ukraine and russia. Vidic and Kanchelskis for two.
  27. Jan 6, 2019

RedRoseTyke New Member

I was being ironic, Synco. Lukaku may not be Mueller, but is far from the terrible footballer that is often claimed on here - his first touch, when scoring yesterday, was excellent and the finish was as calm and clinical as 'Der Bomber'.
  28. Jan 6, 2019

Josh 76 Full Member

Erased from my memory!
  29. Jan 6, 2019

R.N7 Such tagline. Wow!

Supports:
    a wife, three kids and Eboue
    Watching United is like tuning into a TV show for some people, stuff like fitness doesn't register, it's all about being entertained.
  30. Jan 6, 2019

WR10 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I’ll just pretend I never watched this game. Bring on spurs
  31. Jan 6, 2019

maverickjesus New Member

Bit of an odd one but with wholesale changes like that I'm not really surprised. Does show just how poor our depth is beyond the starting 11.

Taking the starting 11, in order:
    • Romero was good even if his distribution was a bit fire and forget at times. Should really be starting somewhere with his skillset so I won't complain.
    • Darmian looked oddly assured at CB (?)
    • Jones is Jones. Needs to go.
    • Dalot looked exactly how I expected - bags of obvious potential but way too raw to be playing anything other than this sort of match for the next season or so.
    • Young looked like he always does - passable if one dimensional.
    • Pereira was a complete passenger and seemed to put very little effort in. Don't see any future for him here.
    • McTominay was completely anonymous. Why is he getting game time over any other youngster?
    • Fred has the vision and the passing but seems to be running half a second behind everyone else, mentally - really needs to pickup the speed of the game in England
    • Mata is done :( Give him a backroom job please
    • Lukaku is Lukaku
    • Sanchez had some good movement and passing but seemed a yard off the pace and Ole said he was gassed when he came off.

Mostly a shitshow really.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  32. Jan 6, 2019

Kostur Full Member

What? You realise that Darmian was playing a centre-back today, right? Nevermind that he was one of the best players on the pitch, even Ole noted that.
  33. Jan 6, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Fair point. I cannot disagree with any of that.
    I just expected Jones to be better than a backup CH but as you say he still has time to develop.
  34. Jan 6, 2019

RooneyLegend Full Member

You've never ever watched a match that Mueller was involved in.
  35. Jan 6, 2019

Synco Lucio's #1 Fan

Ah, got you. And agreed, calling Lukaku a terrible footballer is out of order.
  36. Jan 6, 2019

Farfetched New Member

A real plus for the team, and the team’s morale, has been the removal of the fear of failure that José induced. Near the end of this game where Marcus bearing down on goal managed to fall ar*e over t*t and slide off the pitch he was able to see the funny side of it. Go back a few weeks and had the exact same incident occurred his reaction would have very different. He would have nervously looked over to the touchline to gauge José reaction. Thus probably leading to another dent in his confidence and a further set back in his career. We now have a good United man leading us.
  37. Jan 6, 2019

Tony247 Full Member

I criticised mata, fred and jones. It was dysfunctional display as 9 changes were made, but the game was assuring. At no point I felt we were going to draw or lose the game. I was rather relaxed and enjoyed. The feeling I never had since Sir Alex retired.
  38. Jan 6, 2019

Shiva87 Full Member

Good result. Decent run out for the second string. No one really stood up and took their chance (except Darmian maybe).

Tough game to watch - but glad that I did. Ole seems to get the squad management game well. He gave all our players who've been running a lot the last few games a full rest (midfield 3 and Lingard). Rashford got a bit unlucky on that account coz Sanchez pulled up.

He knew we have too much quality for Reading and that would win us the game - which it did.

It wasn't a tactical decision to play slow, disjointed football (like it was with Jose). It was just lack of match sharpness. Will benefit players like Perierra, Fred and Dalot - who will be required to fill in and rotate with our first XI - it we want to keep producing high tempo performances.
  39. Jan 6, 2019

RedRoseTyke New Member

I watched him in many games, including the 1974 WC final. I also was lucky enough to watch the MU trinity.
  40. Jan 6, 2019

RedRoseTyke New Member

Alexis's pass needs recognition, too, beautifully placed and weighted, the second excellent assist in two games.