Man Utd 2:0 Reading Post-match discussion

Sat, 05 January 2019

Sergio Romero image Man of the Match Sergio Romero
5.6 Total Average Rating
Sergio Romero image 7.1 Highest Rated Player Sergio Romero
Scott McTominay image 4.7 Lowest Rated Player Scott McTominay
  1. Jan 6, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

I must have missed it, I honestly hardly ever saw him, it was Jones making the last ditch tackles and stuff. I didn't think he was all that. He got caught out of position a few times and Dalot had to bail him out. Maybe Solskjaer was trying to build his confidence? He has had a rough time over the last few years.
  2. Jan 6, 2019

EwanI Ted Full Member

I thought he was one of the better ones on the pitch to be honest. Both him and Jones were doing last ditch stuff because they had opposition runners coming from midfield unmarked, which is a problem even against limited opposition.
  3. Jan 6, 2019

Gungne New Member

As there was 9 changes to the team I didn't expect to much. I was hoping for a fun game, and that some of the players stepped up. But no...

Fred and McTominay was both big disappointments, again. So fare Fred has not have a single good match for United.
  4. Jan 6, 2019

Melville Red Full Member

Yes, but not many Brazilians or any other nationality actually queues up to actually play there now do they? That is of course unless you are not good enough to play in the Western European leagues. As for City wanting him, do you believe everything you here in the media? Vidic was from Serbia and Kanchelskis was born in The Ukraine but played for Russia.
    I’m 100% sure had city wanted him they would have, it was probably a rumour put out by his old club and his agent to get as much money for him as possible. Woodward is just the sort to fall for that crap. But why we were ever interested in him is beyond me.
  5. Jan 6, 2019

Gary_Walsh_Nou_Camp_Hell New Member

He's new to English football. Playing in a 3 with 2 youngsters who are also lacking match practice. In a team that's made 9 changes.

Yes Reading are shit and Fred didn't have a great game - but nobody played particularly well.

Just give him some time and maybe it won't work out but not every signing can start amazingly well. For example, Evra and Vidic needed a decent amount of time before we saw their ability.
  6. Jan 6, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

Fred and Pereira were disappointing in Midfield.
  7. Jan 6, 2019

rollingstoned1 Full Member

Not true, from D costa to willian a lot of players from South America join clubs in Russia and Ukraine as a stepping stone who then go onto play for some of Europe's best clubs. There's quite a big list of them over the years and it is not surprising considering how much talent is really there in those places that can escape through the holes in the net.
    The City interest in Fred was quite well publicized, as was their interest in Sanchez. it's not like we haven't signed players City have wanted before. We are a bigger draw than them so saying 'I'm sure if they wanted him they would have signed him' is lazy and someway off the mark. Quite a few clubs across Europe were monitoring him so he isn't exactly some pub player who isn't good enough to even cast a glance at, just because you may not have known much about him.
    I know where they were born but my point was those 2 initially played for clubs that according to you only second rate talents who can't make the grade go to.
  8. Jan 6, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

He had a good game. He even was involved in the attack too. He could have an assist too if we had scored from his pass. Darmian is a good footballer but he has not had his chances at United with Jose. He is going to go to Italy and he will play for a big club there and good luck to him.
  9. Jan 6, 2019

minoo-utd Full Member

Not only yesterday though.
  10. Jan 6, 2019

Maplered Full Member

I did he was a pure poacher
  11. Jan 6, 2019

RooneyLegend Full Member

True but he was technically on a different level to Lukaku.
  12. Jan 6, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

Are we talking about Gerd? He was not only a poacher but can dribble too. He has a very low C of G and that helps him a lot too. Technically he was brilliant and has great vision. I have seen play many a times.
  13. Jan 7, 2019

reds_fan_aus New Member

Supports:
    Napoli
    A bit late to cover this - but a little curiosity on my part. Was watching highlights of the game and saw the bit when Sanchez was in OLG's seat and he asked him to move. What do you think he was whispering to him? Something along the lines of "I know your'e getting paid a little bit more than me every week but the guy who sits in that Chair determines whether you get to play or not next week - so, do yourself a favour and move."
  14. Jan 7, 2019

Synco Lucio's #1 Fan

From what I've seen: He was likely the best poacher ever, but not a "pure" poacher (in the sense that his game was restricted to that role or that particular set of abilities). In quite a few games his movement was closer to a Rooney or Griezmann type of player, although no comparison works 100% and his role could vary a lot from game to game.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  15. Jan 7, 2019

The Boy Full Member

Supports:
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    Give them all a chance, they are young and learning their game. Matches like the Reading one will be very useful to them in the long run. I think they all have huge potential especially Pereira and Chong.
  16. Jan 7, 2019

Gordon S New Member

Watched the game last night, and i don’t think we were quite as bad as been made out here. Lots of positives,

Won
    Clean sheet
    Players rested
    Much needed minutes for a lot of players
    Sanchez and Lukaku building momentum
    We learned that Darmian isn’t crap as a cb
    A debut for Chong, looked decent enough even if nerves might got the better of him.
    No injuries (afaik)
  17. Jan 7, 2019

CA_vampire New Member

Perreira is 23, McTominay is 22... that's not very young. Chong is 19 and that's young, but he seems too weak to become a top player in Premiership. And we need top players, not average players.

Anyway, that's my opinion only. Certainly, it's a good idea to use them in a few cup games. But I don't think that any of these guys will bring us to the next level and make us a top European side. And that's our goal, isn't it? We need a couple of world class players. We are rich enough to buy a dozen of average players. The world class players is the main problem, how to get those.
  18. Jan 7, 2019

Melville Red Full Member

I’ll hold my hands up then. I am the first to admit I don’t know much about foreign football, however Fred has a very long way to go before he convinces me that he is suitable for United.
  19. Jan 7, 2019

Melville Red Full Member

And don’t forget Reading are struggling in a league below us. Our fringe players should really dominate against any club from a lower division, they failed rather miserably in achieving that.
    Still at least we didn’t do a Leicester or Fulham, but then again we are the richest club in the world and our reserves should reflect that.
  20. Jan 7, 2019

Verbalkint Full Member

Definitely, both gave the ball away so many times. I think they showed glimpses of their attacking prowess though, maybe they need more time on the pitch and with the team. Safe to give them the benefit of doubt.

I watched La Liga highlights this morning - Sociedad vs Madrid. Guess who was having a whale of a time ? Adnan Januzaj :)
    Was happy to see him do well.
  21. Jan 7, 2019

Gordon S New Member

That would be the dream!

Tell me, when was the last time you witnessed a United team made up of fringe players completely dominate against a championship team?
  22. Jan 7, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

He looked to handle it absolutely perfectly. Making a light hearted joke of it, gently tapping him on the shoulders affectionately, and Sanchez looked a little embarrassed but took the funny side.

Imagine Jose in the same position!
    Carrick was sat next to him wasn't he? Why didn't he say something?
  23. Jan 7, 2019

M Utd Full Member

Good points from both of you. We would have all loved a 7-0 like spurs produced but it just wasn't the case. I think some may well be reading too much into a single game. Some are writing off players based on a single game which I think is odd.
    The real reality is that we won and we are through. I doubt very much in 2 or 3 months anyone fully remembers the game let alone decide it's discussion worthy.
  24. Jan 8, 2019

Melville Red Full Member

Er, 19?? No hang on a minute. I’ll get back to you on that.