Post season Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Twigginater, May 14, 2012.

1. May 14, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Well, it's the day after. I went to bed about 9ish last night, and just slept through it all. Bah, still hurts this morning.

But I do feel a lot more optimism at the moment. Obviously the shock has gone but the pain remains and will do till the next season starts.

But, there's still a lot of good this year:

• Danny Welbeck breaking through - About time we bring through a striker! Incredible season for the young lad
    • Da Gea - This lad worried a few people early on, but since he returned from injury he might be the best keeper in the league for me. We might have sorted our GK situation out early
    • Paul Scholes returned - I was at his testimonial and felt an unbelievable surge of sadness as I left, as I thought I'd never get to see this guy play football again. The City sub was incredible
    • Rooney - Well not just Rooney but the entire team. I thought we scored a lot of goals this year, and a lot of good goals at that. I think if Rooney's fit he's always a goalthreat now
    • Youngsters - It wasn't a stellar year by any means for people like Jones, Rafael and Smalling. Jones seemed to run out of steam, Rafael still makes mistakes and Smalling seems to be never fit, but altogether I've seen enough from these three to be confident they're fit for the next few years
    • Injuries - This is obviously a nightmare, and I feel like I say this a lot, but surely we won't have as many injuries next season? Vidic/Anderson/Cleverly and Fletcher have missed the whole campaign pretty much, and Valencia/Nani and Young missed a good part of it as well. We had more injuries than anyone else again
    • 8-2 - I've been 100's of games at OT, this might have been my favorite. Never seen anything like it.
    • Carrick - Our best player this season by a long way IMO. Never shirked his responsibilities and was one of the only players to play well in the derby at the Etihad. Absolutely love how this guy has silenced the critics
    • Performances - Some of our performances this season are as good as it gets in the prem. 5-0 away wins, battering a lot of teams, and getting an insane amount of points.
    • Jonny Evans - One of our best players throughout the campaign, he fully stepped up. Sorted for the immediate future with him I think.

Of course any trophyless year for United is bad:

• Trophies - League form was excellent, but I feel like we let ourselves a bit in the domestic cups. Liverpool game anything can happen, but I wish we'd have put out a stronger team v Palace
    • City - Why these? Why weren't Everton or Fulham bought in the lottery of ownership.
    • Europe - Europa I don't think we were that fussed about, but we had a nightmare going out so early in the CL
    • Injuries - How annoying is it going into the last match of the season, and seeing how many injuries we have. Ridiculous. Hope Vidic is back soon
    • Berbatov - I love this man. Love watching him play. Seems his last few minutes in his shirt were against Swansea. Wish him all the best in the future
    • Bebe - He's coming back isn't he :(
    • Pogba and Morrison - Despite us pinning our hopes somewhat on our young talented players, it seems that they're both fecking off
    • Smalling - No fault of his own, but really excited about Chris, and feel really bad for him this year. I still think out of all our young players he seems the most sure to make it, but injuries made this a really frustrating year for the lad

Despite all of the season though, unless Chelsea win the CL, I think it's safe to say that bar City, everyone in the league would swap our season for theirs. Onwards and upwards from here.
  2. May 14, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Oh and the main bad thing for me, is the fact that tickets are going up again for members next year. This club love to bleed people dry the feckers. Can hardly afford it as it is.
  3. May 14, 2012

Cina Warrior Princess

Good - getting 89 points

Bad - everything else
  4. May 14, 2012

Moz Full Member

Our improved away form compared to the previous season is a huge positive.
  5. May 14, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

:lol:

A simple yet effective way of looking at it I suppose.
  6. May 14, 2012

lysglimt Full Member

The fact is we were 49 seconds or so away from this being one of the best seasons ever. The only thing separating this season from any other - was that we were up against a superb team. 9 times out of 10 we would have won the title with the way we performed. This just was that 1 season

So I am heartbroken now - but give me 3 weeks and I will be REALLY optimistic about next season
  7. May 14, 2012

Cina Warrior Princess

Well it's overly negative obviously, but whatever way you look at it, 89 points is a fairly mighty goal tally, and our away form this season has improved drastically. We were up against a team full of established superstars with no injuries and a very good manager, and while we had feck ups along the way, I have no problem with our final league tally. Although we lost to City twice, everyone seems to forget the fact that we won 6 out of our 8 games against Arsenal, Spurs, Pool and Chelsea, losing none, and that's pretty damn impressive.

BUT, we were really poor in the cup competitions this year, alarmingly so. It has to be addressed. SAF needs to start going 4-5-1 more again, something it looks like he plans to do given the players we've been linked with.
  8. May 14, 2012

Twigginater WUM Alert!

The only problem with 4-5-1 is I bloody love Danny Welbeck.
  9. May 14, 2012

Siorac Full Member

Good: getting 89 points, scoring 89 goals, convincingly besting Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool, holding our own with an absolutely devastating amount of injuries, Jonny Evans.

Bad: the entire European campaign, throwing away an 8-point lead in the most spastic way imaginable, losing to City twice (the second defeat was especially horrible in its meekness), the last 125 seconds of the season.

I still hate football after what happened yesterday. I'm not sure when I'll fall in love with it again.
  10. May 14, 2012

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

I think you've covered all bases there really. With De Gea, Welbeck and Evans deserving special mention. Welbeck for the way he's played and developed in his first full season. De Gea and Evans for the way they've come back when many doubted them. Fantastic resilience.

Think Carrick had one of his best seasons too. Hopefully he can carry that on into next season right from the get go. He tends to take his time in getting his form up to scratch.

We need the Carrick of the last several months right from the off in August please!
  11. May 14, 2012

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy

This season contained 5 of moments that are up there with the very worst i've ever felt. 6-1 City, 2-1 Basle, 4-4 Everton, 1-0 City, and yesterday... so regardless of the several positives that have occured this season, my over-riding memories will be ones of hurt.
  12. May 14, 2012

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

7 mins v Everton fecked us.

We didn't deserve the title. We bottled it against cITY but that 4-4 will go down as the defining moment of the season.

Europe was a disaster from start to finish.

If we bring in a bit of quality in the summer, I'm sure we'll regain the title. We are a couple of players short of being a great team again. If we don't buy, we'll end up with nothing again I'm afraid