Potential guard of honour / City title win vs United | Nope

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by SER19, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mar 13, 2018

ZAGREB RED Full Member

This. Watching City win the League is preferable to Liverpool, any day.
  2. Mar 13, 2018

El Zoido Full Member

Giving them a guard of honour and having the game be a dead rubber would be far preferable to them clinching it against us. They had it wrapped up before Christmas and I think most of us have stopped caring about it a while ago.
  3. Mar 13, 2018

robinrooney New Member

Incredibly small time if we refused to do the GOH as some have suggested.

Doesn't matter now as it is mathematically impossible for city to win the title before we play them.

Remember how brilliant city fans and the club were at the 50th anniversary of the Munich disaster? We should be equally classy as fans and as a club.

That said, we must do everything possible to stop them winning the league against us.
  4. Mar 13, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

That's a loser's mentality, right there.
    We need to stamp this out of the players, as well as the fans.

We can absolutely beat MCFC on their own turf.
    Jose will create a tactic which will adapt us, to playing against a possession based team.
    Our players just have to be up for it.

To remind you that in our home game earlier this season, we played dreadfully, where our players just gave up for minute one. Had Lukaku not been so wasteful in front of goal, we could've got a draw. And the goals we conceded were down to terrible defending.
  5. Mar 13, 2018

Imran Mamdani New Member

Although I agree the title has been bought and all, they're going to go down in history as champions anyway so in hindsight if we get our act together and start competing for the title going forward, just like we did this year with a less talented squad compared to city, the better. I'm not complaining, I'm happy with Mou and our team but need strengthening for sure.

Here's to moving onwards, and upwards. You guys are all awesome!

I'm going to save my last post for post-match tonight - so this is my last post here for today. :).

Edit: I'm going to OT tonight - My first Champions league game. :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  6. Mar 13, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

Aargh, oh well. Will dent the pride a little, especially as it's a derby, but hopefully the lads can use this as motivation for next season.
  7. Mar 13, 2018

Sylar Full Member

We dont have to worry about giving them the GOH now right? The gap means even if we lose to Swansea they can only win the title vs us.
    I think if we beat Swansea it just means a draw against City would stop them winning the title against us too.
    Right?

Think theres 24 points left to play for.
    1 league game for us both before we faace each other. So even if we lose and they win, it becomes 19 point gap with 21 left to play for. That would mean a draw gives them the title.
    Ideally we win both games. But even if we take 4 points from next 2 games, its good for us.
  8. Mar 13, 2018

Red00012 New Member

Close this thread.its not happening.
  9. Mar 13, 2018

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

What happens then if City draws or loses to Everton and we win Swansea? Would they still be able to win it against us? I would prefer a completely deflated game, as it will be sandwiched between the eventual quarter-final Champions games.
  10. Mar 13, 2018

Infra-red Full Member

The guard of honour isn't happening.

They are quite likely to win the title when they play us at the Etihad, though.
  11. Mar 13, 2018

Red00012 New Member

We’ll beat them!
  12. Mar 13, 2018

Infra-red Full Member

That's the best case. In that scenario, they couldn't win it against us. They'll beat Everton though.
  13. Mar 13, 2018

Not so sure about it.
  14. Mar 13, 2018

Adebesi Full Member

Am I right in thinking that if we both win our next game and then they need to beat us to win the league that day? So we just need to get a draw?
  15. Mar 13, 2018

Infra-red Full Member

That's correct.

Ultimately, this isn't worth getting worked up about. Title wins speak for themselves and the manner in which it happens is neither here nor there.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  16. Mar 13, 2018

Sterling Archer Full Member

Agree with the sensible posts that this isn't something to really bother about. Do the guard, but regardless of whether they're champions at that point or not, we need to win the match.
  17. Mar 13, 2018

Adebesi Full Member

I still remember when Arsenal won the league at Old Trafford. I lived in North London at the time. It wasn't nice. So yes, not the biggest deal. Especially for those of us who don't live in Manchester. But I'd certainly rather avoid it.
  18. Mar 13, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    This.

Mourinho has to devise a new strategy to beat City if he's going to knock St Pep off his celestial perch. The league's gone this year but we've got a chance to try out tactics which might work next year.
  19. Mar 13, 2018

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Sky will try and push this hard - I can't really say I care about giving them the guard of honour. Just want to beat them like any other time.

They won the league ages ago. Congratulations to them.
  20. Mar 13, 2018

We might still catch them in this season's Champions League, so I hope he's already working on it.
  21. Mar 13, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

For the first time in years I might actually sack the game and football off for that weekend, Sky will build the pre game up as the game where City win the title and then spend the entire post match lauding the achievement like they haven't done enough of it already
  22. Mar 13, 2018

The red panther princess transfer emo Verified Moaner

Change ownership and start playing football on a financial level playing field.

I have no problem admitting a team is better when they are better but I do have a problem with it if that team has cheated its way to victory. It is like giving a guard of honor to lance armstrong when he won the tour the france when you know he used doping. Well we know City uses dopping, financial dopping.

I'am not even talking about them spending alot of money, I mean alot of the big clubs spend alot of money. But the issue is that they just got that money from their rich sugar daddy owners. It is not earned on the back of building up a history or establishing a commericaly viable football brand. All that work got skipped and they just pumped billions into Man City to make them bigger than everyone else. Well it is not hard to win like that and it is not something I respect. So since guard of honor is about showing respect for the other club's achievement, I also think we shouldn't do it. I think we shouldn't show them any respect for what they achieve when they are playing this game unfairly. As long as City isn't respecting financial fair play I don't see why we should respect their play either.

I would have no problem doing it for any other club even Liverpool where seeing them win it would maybay sting more. But when Liverpool would win it it would be on their own merrit and for that I can show respect and for that I would not mind seeing us give them a guard of honor. With Liverpool I can respect their football achievement, I can respect their history, their legends, it is a big club and they deserve respect for all that. But with City I will never be able to respect any of it. It is the same with PSG. It is like LFc is a rival football club for me but clubs like City and PSG I don't even regard them as football clubs anymore. I regard them as a cancer to the sport and I'd rather die before showing them any kind of respect for that.
  23. Mar 13, 2018

RedPed Full Member

Have a word with yourself.
  24. Mar 13, 2018

Moby Dick

Absolutely this.

Most of our bunch has no sense of the rivalry.
  25. Mar 13, 2018

Blueman New Member

Supports:
    Man City
    City have had money for a long time and havent reached these heights..... Pep is the one who has changed things, it's not far removed from what SAF was doing with the first Utd team, getting a fighting spirit, togetherness, etc.... In fact more than his tactical knowledge it's becoming clear to me he knows how inspire a team and make them work, and thats what we're seeing.

Moan about money all you want, but you know all this amazing dominating football will stop when Pep leaves.
  26. Mar 13, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

I've thought about it - I'd rather give them a guard of honour than them win the title on the day.

@Adisa @Moby How on earth did you guys get that impression? The passion we showed recently in the wins against Chelsea, Palace and Liverpool would illustrate otherwise. And, then for a derby of this magnitude, I've no doubt our players would NOT want to lose or hand City the title.
  27. Mar 13, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

No player wants to lose.
    Is losing the title to them really going to Inspire our lot to greater heights?
    I'm not really sure our players care that much about the rivalry.
    If we lose the match and then the title on the day, I think it will be quickly forgotten by our players.
    It's just my opinion.
  28. Mar 13, 2018

Mufchuck New Member

Rather see city win it every year than the scousers win it once more
  29. Mar 13, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

Just feels like one of those scenarios that only football can throw up.

Trying to stop them sealing the title against us will be a big ask - because when a team is so driven by emotion, it becomes almost impossible to halt.

As much as I'd love to delay their party, I'd sooner Everton prevented this scenario all together.
  30. Mar 13, 2018

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    Get to feck.
  31. Mar 13, 2018

edgar allan Full Member

I guess you would have been against a guard of honour for Blackburn in the past and of course Chelsea with their Russian Oil championships.
    Maybe all the smaller teams in the premiership should have done the same to us giving that our spending far out weighs theirs?
    All the things you say regarding City's finances are true however if oil money had been available at the time of the Glazier sell off and they had pumped a billion into our club I doubt many supporters would be complaining.
  32. Mar 13, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    City might rest players for the Champions league quarter finals.

So it's not all lost .
  33. Mar 13, 2018

C3Pique Full Member

The only way this season could get any worse if if Liverpool won the CL to top it off. Can we just finish the season now?
  34. Mar 13, 2018

Treble Full Member

Was thinking the same. But then again, their second string is probably better than Palace and Newcastle with the likes of Danilo, Stones, Laporte, Gundogan, B. Silva and Jesus. Reckon that most of the first teamers will play with only KDB, Aguero and Fernandinho on the bench.
  35. Mar 13, 2018

Infra-red Full Member

Almost (almost!) a shame there won't be a guard of honour - give Lukaku, Rashford, McTominay and De Gea the day off and make the rest of our lot stand there clapping. A bit of ritual humiliation might do Pogba & Sanchez et al some good.
  36. Mar 13, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Still reckon they would win..

But it strengthens our chances to get something from the game though.
  37. Mar 13, 2018

Eire Red United Full Member

Something seriously wrong if they don’t care about that rivalry. Especially the likes of Rashford and Lingard.
  38. Mar 14, 2018

Blueman New Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Same here strangely. I would rather Manu win it than liverpool, I hated the liverpool dominance of the 80s and they're close to it again it feels. I didnt mind Manu, at least it's manchester, just not another period of everything fkin scouse, scouse football, comedy, TV, moustaches, music, specialness, etc etc.
  39. Mar 14, 2018

Oyibo New Member

Saturday evening kick-off, lads in bars all day.

City Fans invade the pitch in celebration at final whistle.

Head over to the away end....

There may be trouble ahead...................:rolleyes:
  40. Mar 31, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Bump. Considering Everton result atm (and how shite Everton are), City with a win would celebrate it.

Not the best scenario, hope we can spoil it.