1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Premier league in the mid 2000's. Brilliant? Nostalgia?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by shamans, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Jan 21, 2018

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

I'm talking from when Arsenal dominated, to Chelsea to United back on top. That whole era. You had Mourinho, Fergie and Arsene. Henry, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Giggs and Rooney. The big matches seemed much bigger.

Or am I just being nostalgic? If not what what made it so much better?
  2. Jan 21, 2018

DiceRoller Full Member

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug!
  3. Jan 21, 2018

Morpheus 7 Full Member

The English teams were strong during that period. United were quality too. Give me the 90's premier league era anyday, suppose it depends on your age.
  4. Jan 21, 2018

Giggs86 Full Member

06/07 and 07/08 were my favorite United seasons since 2000.

Good times as well for the PL when we had 2-3 English teams in the CL semis year after year.

Also a lot of narratives and quality rivalries. Us vs Arsenal with breaking their invincibles months after the Ruud penalty incident, us vs Mourinho's Chelsea, Mourinho's Chelsea against Liverpool in the CL..

Good times.
  5. Jan 21, 2018

endless_wheelies feeling dizzy

Don't forget the managers... did any single pair of them actually remotely get on?
  6. Jan 21, 2018

RooneyLegend Full Member

Watch any of our matches this season, then watch any match of the 07/08 season and you'll realize it's not nostalgia.
  7. Jan 21, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

Since I'm a tad older the 90's are my favorite. Early 90's we finally won the PL with Cantona but we didn't really stand a chance in europe against the mighty Italians, by the end of the decade we had won the treble. Was an amazing journey.
  8. Jan 21, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

It is just nostalgia.
  9. Jan 21, 2018

XH6 Banned

The PL was certainly stronger then but I think the greater success of English clubs in the CL during 05-09 as compared to 10-17 had more to do with the other top European teams not being as strong, rather than some monumental decline in the quality of the top premier league sides.

As an example, I think Bayern 13/14-16/17 were as good as United 07-09 and better than any of the other English sides during that golden era, yet they didn't even manage to make 1 final because of how much tougher the competition was.

It's not just the Spanish sides that strengthened either; Bayern improved drastically, Dortmund were a force for a few seasons, and PSG have been strong for the past 5 years as well. Not only are these teams harder to face in a knockout round, but it's also led to a lot of English sides finishing second (or even not qualifying) in the group and then getting knocked out by a tough draw in the round of 16 (Arsenal and City particularly).
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  10. Jan 21, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

Yeah I'd probably agree with this.

06/07 especially was great fun.
  11. Jan 21, 2018

2cents Full Member

The Cantona years were just amazing.
  12. Jan 21, 2018

The No.10! Full Member

I think Jose and SAF always managed to make keep the decorum, but the same cannot be said with Wenger.

Then of course there was Rafa.
  13. Jan 21, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

We scored 7 goals in our first 8 games that season. That included a 1-0 defeat to City, a draw to Portsmouth and a 0-0 draw at home to reading. In the midst of those games we also lost 2-0 at home to Coventry in the league cup. Imagine if that happened this season?
  14. Jan 21, 2018

Carl has permanently erect nipples

Not nostalgia at all. The premier league was absolutely at it's best then. Performances in Europe help back that up too.
  15. Jan 21, 2018

Carl has permanently erect nipples

That 06/07 version of Ronaldo :drool:
  16. Jan 21, 2018

vangagal Full Member

i just miss silly fight between Keane vs Vieira, United vs Arsenal. Just kicking each other balls. Maybe i'm bit old now to watch silly rolls over that we witness nowadays.
  17. Jan 21, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Premier league was strongest between 2006-09 imo.

Consider the spine of the 11s during that period.

Man. United- VDS- Rio/Vidic-Evra-Ronaldo-Rooney-Tevez.

Chelsea- Cech- Terry-Lampard-Ballack-Drogba

Liverpool- Reina-Carragher-Alonso-Mascherano-Gerrard-Torres.

Arsenal didn't quite have as strong a spine but they still have fantastic individual players like Henry and Fabregas so their european results were also strong (for them) during that period.

Many of those players were the best in europe in their respective positions. English teams could also defend properly in the CL in that time so you got three English teams in semi finals in a couple of the seasons.
  18. Jan 21, 2018

Eire Red United Full Member

07-08 and to a lesser extent 06-07 where the best seasons I can remember Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and co. ripping shit up. Unreal.
  19. Jan 21, 2018

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

I think competition from non-PL clubs is much fiercer now than in 2006-2009 to be honest. I don't think the PL teams were that great.
  20. Jan 21, 2018

Jaybomb Banned

Everything is better when you’re a kid. And most of us were kids in this era.

I loved it.
  21. Jan 21, 2018

HisDudeness New Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    It's just nostalgia I think, with AF & Wenger playing all out attacking fast-paced football. For entertainment value, Klopp would have been a better choice than Jose & Conte.
  22. Jan 21, 2018

Vidyoyo Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert

I feel it might partly be down to media. Media coverage during that period was incredibly strong and there seemed to be genuine interest in making everything a brilliant spectacle (although you can argue it only ever focused on the top, top teams).

It was great because there was always a steady stream of games to watch; Sky had a monopoly so there wasn't a need for viewers to subscribe to multiple channels. Now the promotion is all about it being the best league in the world. Watch it because it's the best league in the world and every game will be better than the last game for sure guys definitely, don't doubt us okay! Oh but we're going to be showing Championship games half the time now so get used to it. Personally I feel Sky's coverage has gone to shit as a result. BT Sports has also made the process of watching games more of a pain in the arse despite it being pretty decent all round.

Streams exist but they don't bring the same aura that TV did. No offense to our American/Canadian cousins but the coverage is a bit dull.

Beyond that, personality of players. Not just the superstars but also the fringe players. They felt unique and different, like individuals not just players in an efficient system. Leicester's style was such a breath of fresh air when they won the league because of the unpredictability of Vardy and Mahrez.

I think there's a genuine reason why nobody could get excited by Pep's barcelona team back in the day. Unfortunately he's replicated the same tedium at City.
  23. Jan 21, 2018

RD76 New Member

Although 06-09 were great, us United fans of a certain age, who grew up in the 80's when the scousers were dominant, will argue that the 90's was without doubt the greatest decade to ever be a supporter of this amazing club.