PS3 Cinavia watermark etc

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Red_Aaron, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Jun 14, 2010

Red_Aaron Full Member

Was just streaming a movie to my PS3 only for a delightful message popping up to tell me the content was protected by cinavia and not authorized for playback on this machine

obvioulsy i was delighted by this as i was completely unaware that it was an illegal file and would never dream of indulging in piracy knowingly

however it did get me a thinking, WTF!!!!?? from what i can tell (from the sketchy info on the web) this is a patch on the PS3 firmware in conjunction with cinavia to stop illeagal copies being played on their device, what fricking business is it of Sonys what i choose to watch? especially as im only streaming it, its not like i'm installing anything on to their hardware. i dont see how i'm hurting Sony or what they gain from this measure other than pissing off its customers?

anyone got a way round this?
  2. Jun 14, 2010

WeasteDevil Banned

Streaming it from where? Never come across this, surely the media server would strip anything like that out? There is that code you need for DivX streaming over the net or something like that.
  3. Jun 14, 2010

WeasteDevil Banned

Apparently, it's now part of the BD spec, so all Blu.ray players will have this in them. The PC will not strip the DRM because it's embedded in the audio. Interesting!
  4. Jun 14, 2010

Red_Aaron Full Member

streaming from my laptop, i read its something to do with the audio and will soon come to all blu rays
  5. Jun 14, 2010

Red_Aaron Full Member

you're the PS3 guru weaste, aint you fixed this yet?
  6. Jun 14, 2010

WeasteDevil Banned

I've never even come across it before, this is the first that I've heard of the problem.
  7. Jun 14, 2010

Red_Aaron Full Member

you're slipping man ;)
  8. Jun 15, 2010

SirAF Full Member

So, is this only if you are streaming, or will it also occur if you play the file from a usb stick as well?
  9. Jun 15, 2010

hungrywing Full Member

He and slips are and have been very well acquainted for some time now.
  10. Jun 15, 2010

Cina Cina's mum brlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlr

My bad.
  11. Jun 16, 2010

Red_Aaron Full Member

can't find any further info on this but perhaps a more techno savvy type could offer an opinion on my question-

do you think would any potential fix for this would have to be done within the PS3 or could the files just be altered?

I've no problem putting all kinds of shit programmes on my PC but I dont really fancy messing about with my beloved PS3s
  12. Dec 22, 2010

Longsden_7 Full Member

Anyone found a way around this?
  13. Dec 22, 2010

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Hmmm... Feeling a bit more vindicated in splashing out for an AppleTv now.
  14. Dec 22, 2010

Red_Aaron Full Member

a criminal i know had the exact same issue whilst trying to watch an illegal copy of 'the social network' on his PS3 the other day so it seems this is still very much an issue

though tbh this is the first time I, I mean he has experienced the issue since starting this thread back in June so its not been as big an issue as i feared it would become. not yet anyway
  15. Dec 22, 2010

Zen Full Member

Well I got it with the Other Guys, which is a sony dvd/blu, and you got it with the Social Network, which again is a sony dvd/blu....they don't care what you CHOOSE to watch, but HOW you choose to watch it.

Right now, only Sony has been using it(i think), but I can definitely seeing it exploding once they share the firmware to other companies, it's annoying to me and it will eventually get cracked, but well I went out and bought the damn film instead of watching it on my pc, so it did the job for them.
  16. Dec 22, 2010

Dave89 Full Member

Ah yes, apple, the great anti-drm pro-user choice activists
  17. Dec 23, 2010

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I'm just pointing out that the apple tv streams movies from any source without any of this nonsense. Which pleases me, seeing as I bought it in addition to my PS3.

Have you got an actual point? Or is this just your usual boring anti-apple evangelism?
  18. Dec 23, 2010

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    So does my vuze player which I downloaded for free off the net for my macbook...
  19. Dec 25, 2010

Zen Full Member

That's probably because you haven't used br/dvdrips of the films that actually do have this cinavia thing on them. It's a very very very small percentage at the moment, but on some of the comments for the other guys, appletv didn't make any difference for it, it still muted.
  20. Dec 29, 2010

beacon All Creatures Great and Small

I can't verify this works yet, but 2 separate threads on Demonoid have offered the following.

I'll be able to test this over the weekend but if anyone else wants to try it and confirm that would be great.

Edit: this works. I just watched Piranhas with Cinavia protection served using PS3 Media Server from my desktop. I had to transcode using MEncoder otherwise the audio failed, but otherwise no problems.

Man what a preposterous and incredibly gory film. Fun, fun, fun.