1. Match Day Update: Lineup Prediction League Table now available, and more...

Quote: "What's happened to the Manchester United I used to love?"

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Randall Flagg, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Apr 23, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

How can anyone say that City's signings have got more value than us?
    Mentioning Nasri as a success, yet doesn't count Valencia. This Will Absolute is an absolute genius.
  2. Apr 23, 2012

redhoop Full Member

Indeed, the whole business of saying they are 'not even trying' or 'don't care' seems to be a kind of go-to response when things go wrong in a game. I agree, we have been much more consistent than our usual rivals and, unlike them, are not utterly reliant on one or two players (apart from Scholsey and he is a god, so that seems quite reasonable). Shit happens. Let's hope it is dropping through the letterbox of the right team on Monday.
  3. Apr 23, 2012

Will Absolute Full Member

Thanks.

That means a lot to me.
  4. Apr 23, 2012

NoLogo Full Member

Conveniently you left out all the other players they bought and haven't made it. Yet they get included in what we did spend.

To get all these players City has spend almost 600 mio. € and Real quite a bit more then 300 mio. €.

But on topic. Yes the football we play is less exciting to watch in 90% of our games then it was in let's say 2007/08 but that's not surprising seeing that we lost a world footballer of the year, a quality striker with mental issues and two of our clubs legends are in the very late phase of their careers.

We lost quality over the last years which shows in less entertaining football but then again we aren't the only team that had loss of quality to their squad. I mean look at Chelsea, Arsenal and even Liverpool they had even a bigger loss in quality over the last 2-3 years then we.

The only team that has significantly improved was City but they were also by far the biggest spenders in the market with an unreal transfer budget at their disposal.
  5. Apr 23, 2012

RedLars Full Member

A lot of "neutrals" / fans of other clubs will tell you that this is a less impressive United side than what we've seen in recent years mostly because in the second half of the season we've lacked that dazzling spark and flair that we showed in the beginning. And also probably because dinosaurs like Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs still play prominent parts in our team, and that is more or less unprecedented and probably a bit hard to accept if you don't watch them play week in and week out to see what they bring to the table.

Any sane United fan, including most on here, will tell you that we've got a core of young and exciting players with the potential to become one of our truly great teams, and you only need to look at the league table to realize it.

A title winning match against City would make this one heck of a league campaign, but how it will be remembered in retrospect very much hinges on that match and that match alone. If not it will have been a good run where we choked in the end, but winning the title at the Etihad against the newlyriches? That's the stuff of legends.

I just hope we rediscover our mojo in Europe next season. The way we crashed out of the Champions League was disappointing enough, but the helpless displays against Bilbao was almost equally devestating for me. I love those European nights, and even if we have to settle for the second tier I always want to see us give it a proper go, and perhaps even more so after the way we crashed in the CL.
  6. Apr 23, 2012

Will Absolute Full Member

The comparison was unfair of course, but I was making the point that we could have spent our money better. There were a lot of quality players out there in positions we needed to strengthen, but we signed none of them. Yaya and Silva being the most conspicuous examples.

Moreover, I believe that if you woke Fergie up at 4 in the morning, and survived the inevitable tongue-lashing, and got the chance to ask him whether he was happy with his transfer buys in recent years, and got an honest answer, it would be no.
  7. Apr 24, 2012

Still ill Full Member

Very nicely put.