Racism at grassroots level

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Bojan11, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Nov 28, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/27/this-...ng-out-racism-in-grassroots-football-7111266/

Just seen the Facebook post on the link. It’s allegedly happening in kids games as old as 10 ffs.

I always wondered why despite a good population of Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs in the UK that why we rarely have any players actually be professionals. Is this one of the reasons? Has to be upsetting for kids as old as 11 to be allegedly getting that sort of treatment and as to why they wouldn’t bother with football. This sort of stuff would never occur in a cricket match and England has had many Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs play for them.

And to no surprises the FA have failed to do nothing. The only thing I should say is that in this day and age this sort of stuff should be easily recorded.
  2. Nov 28, 2017

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I played in an almost all Asian Sunday league team. We used to get racially abused every game to a point a few players dropped out and the team eventually disbanded.

There was a documentary awhile ago about racism at grass roots level, the guy doing it admitted he overlooked the racism Asians get and was surprised at how unreported it is.
  3. Nov 28, 2017

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    Saddening, but I'm not surprised. Given the amount of abuse that sometimes get thrown around by parents at kids' matches - even at ones where teachers/coaches have asked them to control themselves, adding racism into the mix seems almost inevitable.

I've less knowledge of adult grassroots football these days, but I've certainly seen some pretty lawless games in the past. The kick it out campaign might have stopped the worst of the chanting at pro football grounds, but that's far from solving the problem.

The FA do need to be the ones who drive it down at the grassroots though. I've got sympathy for individual refs who fear the reactions they're going to get if they take action on a racist remark. There's a lot of abuse, and even physical threats towards refs, on routine decisions, that gets ignored.
    see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...at-triggers-fa-action-abuse-grassroots-match/
  4. Nov 28, 2017

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

It's also one of very few times that you can easily get racially abused as a white guy. Plenty of all-black or all-Asian or all-Turkish out there that don't give a damn about dropping racial slurs towards white guys.

I'm not saying that racism should be tolerated in any way, shape or form but it goes in every which way at lower league football.
  5. Nov 28, 2017

b82REZ Full Member

Came in to say the same thing. I used to play in a 6 a side league and my teammates and I were all subjected to racist insults from an Asian team. They were clearly trying to wind us up to get a reaction but still doesn't excuse any form of racism.
  6. Nov 28, 2017

ExPro Banned

I remember playing for my School from Essex and when we used to travel to play the East London teams, it was horrific. All game we would have the other teams players and fans that brought all their dogs over, screaming at us. Calling us white, see you next Tuesdays, players walking straight up to our faces saying they fecking hate white people and all other racial slurs. It was scary as hell. We basically got chased to our coach after the final whistle and could not go back to the changing rooms. After the second time we had to have security and a police presence come to games when we traveled to East London.

I feel for them because it is not nice and very scary. Football is supposed to bring people together, not divide.
  7. Nov 28, 2017

harms Way Staff

I never understood why people are even reacting at those racist slurs. Surely it just shows ignorance and stupidity of those people, ignore them, who cares about their opinion? It's also the best way to stop it, like with all of the bullying.

Of course you have to teach people that racism is wrong, but you aren't going to educate grown men who aren't having it. Teach tolerance in school and even earlier and hope that all racists will grow old and die at some point eventually, leaving us in our utopian fantasy.
  8. Nov 28, 2017

Wengerscoat Banned

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Some footballer, Carlisle I think, did a documentary a while back and said this was common and stopped a lot of Asians joining any sort of setup.
  9. Nov 29, 2017

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

As a corallary : Racism has never bothered me as a white guy playing football. I've been subjected to slurs. But because it doesn't hold deeper roots in anything it's all done and dusted after the game.

That's probably the larger point.