Raiola: "I'll deliver Zlatan personally to the WC"

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Thepinhead, Nov 14, 2017 at 07:55.

1. Nov 14, 2017 at 07:55

Thepinhead Full Member

I can't help but think the result last night is very good news for us. Having read zlatans book I know he is always looking for the next challenge that can motivate him even further. With sweden qualified for the WC and zlatans injury we might just see Zlatan better than ever for the next 7-8 months.

Do you think that he will announce a comeback to the swedish national team, and do you think it will have any influence on us as a team?

https://www.google.dk/amp/footballghana.com/raiola-tells-swedish-fans-ill-deliver-ibrahimovic-personally-to-world-cup?amp=1
  2. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:08

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I don't think he should do it to be honest. What is a 37 year old Zlatan going to do at the world cup in a rubbish Swedish national team. Last time they didn't qualify with him at the helm and now he wants to swoop in and take all the glory for himself? I'd politely tell him to stay home if I were the Swedish captain.

And then run, because he'd likely try to kick me in the face.
  3. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:10

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Granqvist is a centre half, and considering how shite Sweden’s striking options are, my bet is that he’d be desperate for Zlatan to come back.

Why do some of you think players don’t want to play with their best players and give themselves the best chance to do well? :confused:
    It’s like you’ve never played competitive sport yourselves.
  4. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:12

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Would be the fairytale ending his career deserves. Hope it happens.
  5. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:14

MuranoLover Full Member

I think Zlatan is not that stupid to just run there and tell his teammates - boys , I am coming back and don't give a shit about your opinion
  6. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:16

Darkhorsez New Member

7. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:23

GBBQ Full Member

Probably the wrong time to ask him given that his side (sans Zlatan) had just qualified for the world cup. If Sweden lost their starting strikers to injury between now and the world cup I am sure he would change his stance.

Regardless, given the restrictions of international football it would be difficult to ignore someone of Zlatan's stature if he did make a strong comeback from injury.
  8. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:30

Ballache Full Member

Way too early to even talk about this, we are yet to see how he comes comes back from injury. If I was to bet on it, I'd say he's going to be on that plane to Russia.
  9. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:47

LInkash Full Member

I was confused at first, was thinking that agents are going a bit too far nowadays, taking footballers to the toilet.
  10. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:51

Crashoutcassius Full Member

If he was going to play in the WC why not play the qualifiers? Apart from the % of it that he was injured
  11. Nov 14, 2017 at 08:52

FCBarca Mes que un Rag

Supports:
    Peace
    Thought the same thing

Seems an absurd idea tbh. Love Zlatan but this side qualified without him, now he just comes in at the end? That's pretty much the opposite of preserving team harmony/chemistry
  12. Nov 14, 2017 at 09:09

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I don't think 37 year old Zlatan is the best option for the team. Sweden was FC Zlatan during his career. Everything revolved around Zlatan. They changed their playstyle now and qualified without Zlatan. What makes you think Zlatan would improve them? Their entire playstyle revolves on fighting spirit and teamwork now. If Zlatan returns it will instantly be all about him again. That didn't work anymore, since he's not the type of player to carry a team on his own. He's never carried a team in a tournament, so why would he now.
  13. Nov 14, 2017 at 09:17

Trizy Full Member

It'd only be a pity if some CF was picked non-stop since Zlatan left the NT, helped them qualify and lost his place to him then.

But as professional, there should be no bad feelings being dropped for someone who is better than you. I think Zlatan should go, he's finish at top club level this season i'd imagine and go retire in America.
  14. Nov 14, 2017 at 09:18

Sing you a song New Member

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hurt team harmony the Man is a national icon for gods sake .
    I have a feeling it's written in the stars he will come galloping back on his white Charger for United and score some crucial goals there will be a campaign in Sweden to bring the great man back for the World Cup and there he will be taking his rightful position on the world stage for a final swansong.Imagine how many Nuetrals would tune in to watch a Sweden game I guarantee that number would treble if Zlatan plays
    There are very few charismatic world stars around that are capable of Grabbing the attention of the public Zlatan is one of them and the World Cup needs these characters .
    Can't wait to see him back in a red shirt and I will look forward to the World Cup even more if he makes it
  15. Nov 14, 2017 at 09:46

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    doesnt deserve to go
  16. Nov 14, 2017 at 09:47

Robbo's Shoulder Full Member

Supports:
    United and Barrow AFC
    I think Zlatan being Zlatan, he will be desparate to get on that plane. Whether the coach agrees however, is a totally different matter. I for 1, certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him at the world cup even if only used as an impact sub, coming on late in games to try and win or salvage a game. I don't see him starting games.
  17. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:19

el3mel Full Member

He already retired from international football, can't see him returning to jumb over his teammates achievement of reaching WC. His career with Sweden has ended and he decided this by his own.
  18. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:44

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

I get the people saying it wouldn’t be deserved, but isn’t Zlatan the equivalent of a living God in Sweden?

The young players in that side are most likely going to see him as an idol. That may actually be a boost as opposed to knocking morale?

I’m not entirely sure he would come out of retirement though. He’s always come across as someone who makes a decision and sticks to it.
  19. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:52

Morpheus 7 Full Member

It be a little unfair for someone to miss out, after all he wasn't part of this campaign.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:07
  20. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:52

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

Not sure it would work out that great. Toivonen and Berg works quite well together and if Zlatan is back we have to either drop Toivonen or bench Zlatan. Berg and Zlatan worked quite poorly in the last tournament and Zlatan have got older as well. The defensive balance of the team is also better without him so the attack would need to be raised quite a lot for Zlatan to be worth it. A prime Zlatan would probably give a huge boost, but at this moment I think we would probably play worse with him unless we used him as an impact sub.
  21. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:54

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

People should be picked on merit though not just cause they did well in the qualifiers. I think this can often be a problem though when you pick players due to past performances years ago.
  22. Nov 14, 2017 at 11:17

King.of.Red New Member

if he wants to come back, then he needs to show his top form after his injury with us first. If he can help United to win trophies or score many goals for us, I'm sure many people in sweden will accept his come back to NT happily.
  23. Nov 14, 2017 at 11:39

Is this a joke?

And remember, being a Swedish citizen I have watched a game or two over the years.

”If” Zlatan returns to top form and could be tempted, Andersson would be a fool not to include him. An in form Zlatan is simply on a completely different level than their other forwards. Making out Zlatan was somehow ”the problem” in previous campaigns is a piss take.

Besides all this, I don’t think he’ll unretire.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:44
  24. Nov 14, 2017 at 11:49

King7Eric Full Member

Zidane did it at the 2006 WC. Worked out alright for France (apart from the final obviously :lol::lol:)
  25. Nov 14, 2017 at 11:51

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

What kinda message would that send to the players who worked for this qualification ? That Zlatan can just come and be part of the WC squat without contributing to all the matches leading to it.
  26. Nov 14, 2017 at 11:59

@kouroux what’s the difference with a Michael Owen? Who took no part in qualifying? Or Zidane?

Do you think only players who played in qualifying should be allowed to play in the tournament? That’s not how football works at all.

That squad lost a player to an ACL injury last night and will want every top player than can with them in Russia. You’ve played football yourself right? And you always wanna play with your best players. I find it bizarre that so many seem to think it’s the opposite. You think the French lads were pissed when ZiZou did it?
  27. Nov 14, 2017 at 11:59

Red_Aaron Full Member

if he's fit and playing well i'd be more surprised if he didn't go tbf, he's still got the presence to put fear into opponents and i actually think it'd be a boost for the other members oft he squad. He's an icon over there

however, we all like to play up the super-human side of zlatan but there's still huge questions to answer fitness wise first before anyone even thinks of the WC
  28. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:11

Henrik Larsson Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

That's kind of harsh imo. Zlatan retiring from Sweden at the age of 35 was the only sensible thing to do, the club and Mourinho probably agreed with that or even demanded it considering his salary and role in the team.

He went on to play 46(!) matches for us last season before his ACL-injury. Expecting him to play qualifiers for Sweden on top of that would've been very unrealistic from a physical point of view I think. Now if the Swedish players for some reason don't want him as a team mate, he shouldn't be selected for the World Cup. But if the current players wouldn't mind him in the squad, it would be madness not to include him if he's fit.
  29. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:17

Red Devil Rising New Member

Who gives a feck. Despite what Zlatan thinks, the world doesn't revolve around Zlatan. He may have won league titles in every country he's been in, but last seasons Europa Cup (which we eventually won without him) was his first European trophy.

His reputation is bigger than the player himself and I won't miss him when he leaves United.

All of this nonsense he's posting on social media is just hot air, and it was his wastefulness in front of goal last season at home that contributed to such an horrendous record and so many draws.
  30. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:18

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    I have always said that Zlatan was tired at the start of the Euro 2016.

2018 could be another story, he could be fresh next summer.

He could accept to be benched if necessary.

I support this idea. Make it happen.

Thanks
  31. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:21

Sammyjunn Full Member

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    I find Zlatan a bit annoying, he makes himself so much better than he is when the likes of Messi, Ronaldo and even Neymar are a few leagues above him.
  32. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:22

Red Devil Rising New Member

Exactly. He's a more talented but just as delusional Bendtner.
  33. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:30

That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on these boards, I'm just gonna leave this here @Red Devil Rising, there really isn't space for the outrageous amount of team titles he's won throughout his career:

(I'll also add that Zlatan is on a massive piss-take, hence why his teammates always tend to adore the bloke. When he makes these statements he can barely keep a straight face).

Individual
    Individual - Bendtner

One is deluded, one isn't.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 12:39
  34. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:39

Dinghy Full Member

Doesn't deserve to go. They changed the way they played when Zlatan retired and it got them to the world cup. And even though many still seems to think so, he's not on that level anymore where he can just come back and be the definite first choice, even for Sweden.
  35. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:40

Schneckerl New Member

In general a coach should pick the team which has the best chance to win something at the WC and not reward someone for previous performances.
    That said if including Zlatan distrubs team chemisty the team might be worse off.
  36. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:41

lsd Full Member

True but looked like the first leg scorer did his ligaments last night which would more than likely mean he won't make it.

Sad for him but these things happen and who better to call in than Zlaton?
  37. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:44

Erm... you don't think that might just have had something to do with a new manager taking over form the previous shit one? :lol:

Nope, must just be Zlatan. :houllier:
  38. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:47

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

That is more or less what I meant tbh.
  39. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:48

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Who was Swedish forward of the year in 2006?
  40. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:49

As with Zidane, there is zero doubt that in the case of a player returning from retirement, the squad would be asked. Zlatan, like Zidane is loved in that squad btw.