Raiola: "I'll deliver Zlatan personally to the WC"

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Thepinhead, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Nov 14, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

WCs dont come often. And some nations get a shot at playing in one, maybe once in 10 years or so. There is no "Is this the right way to do it?" or "Will this make youngsters cry?" or "Will this affect my moral quotient" etc.
    You give it the best shot with the best players available at your disposal.
  2. Nov 14, 2017

Cal? I always Loyalty CR7

I can see that point of view, but just do not agree with it.

Not like he can make that much of a difference, but I think it's just idiotic to leave their best player at home (if he's interested to go).
  3. Nov 14, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Would it be fine if Sweden as a nation will appeal to Zlatan to come back from retirement and he obliges
  4. Nov 14, 2017

Jake Mine's too big and gay.

Exactly, it’s not like he’s refused to play for Sweden on moral grounds. Fact is he’s 36/7 and many an international have retired years before that.

I’d think it was weird if a radom Swedish player declared that he wanted to play for the squad after retirement - but the fact it’s Zlatan is actually different.

And I don’t mean different in a moral sense, I mean it’s different because he’s BY FAR their best player even now.

(I’m judging his ‘now’ by his last season with us, and the fact that even coming back from injury I think he will their best player)
  5. Nov 14, 2017

Kostur Full Member

None obviously, as far as the tournaments are concerned, you need a mix. Zlatan is a leader, most experienced player they have, etc.
  6. Nov 14, 2017

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

I remember there was talk of George Best coming out of retirement before the 1982 World Cup, five years after his last International appearance and 8 years after he finished playing top level football. It never happened.
  7. Nov 14, 2017

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Henrik Larsson did it in 2004, Sweden have history.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/3672309.stm

As with Henke, "if" he regains his form and the manager wants him, and the player wants it, why shouldn't it happen? This is high stakes sport not fecking fairness corner.
  8. Nov 14, 2017

Jaqen H'ghar I can't drive...55

Roger Milla came out of retirement twice, at ages 38 and 42, to become Cameroon's star player.

Zlatan has yet to come back from his injury, but if he can still perform, the decision should be based on what he can offer.
  9. Nov 15, 2017

dwd Saturday Night Spies

It probably would have if he was fit and still playing at a high level which Zlatan is.
  10. Nov 15, 2017

KikiDaKats Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think Zlatan can add a lot to this team from the little I've seen but such decisions have ramifications.
    Some countries are fine with doing well once in every 5 tournaments. Zlatan won't harm this team in Russian but moving forward I kinda feel there's nothing to be gained.
  11. Nov 15, 2017

Cypriot Full Member

Would be a great player to have around that Swedish dressing room, that's for sure. Whether he get's guaranteed starts or not is another topic, but just having him there can only boost the team's confidence and morale.
  12. Nov 15, 2017

Oooh_aaah_cantona New Member

That’s different though. Usually players like Theo are taken along for future experience as they are young and will be part of the set-up for many years. In the case of Zlatan, it’s arguably more to do with his personal ego than the national team if he returns now (otherwise he would have played the qualifiers).

Unless there are major injuries, I can’t see the coach justifying calling Zlatan up.
  13. Nov 15, 2017

Kapardin Full Member

I don't care if he is selected for the WC or not, but I do hope he announces he is available. That would motivate him to prove himself and do his best to get selected, which would be good for us.
  14. Nov 15, 2017

RooneyLegend Full Member

In fairness, Zidane came in to rescue the qualifying campaign, they weren't going to the world cup until him and the other vets came back and helped them qualify.
  15. Nov 15, 2017

Bestietom Full Member

Nothing would surprise me. He is adored by the Swedish fans and could make an appearance.
  16. Nov 15, 2017

poleglass red Full Member

He was a bit shit though at the last Euros for them, although nothing surprises me in football anymore. I guess his form when he comes back could play a factor.
  17. Nov 15, 2017

Z2United New Member

Supports:
    Team Zlatan
    He was also immense and made the difference in the meeting with Denmark that took us to the euros that time. But yeah him and all of sweden was poor in the last euro but we are sweden, not croatia .)
    He did score that goal that was wrongly disallowed in the euros that would have pulled us out of the group tho :/
  18. Nov 15, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

To me it's absolutely ridiculous how under-rated Zlatan is becoming by the United fan base.

He carried us last season.
  19. Nov 15, 2017

Irrational. Full Member

If he returns to somewhere near the form he showed for us last season, its a no-brainer. But just to take him because he's 'Zlatan' is wrong.
  20. Nov 15, 2017

Ballache Full Member

The amount of shite spouted in this thread is incredible. I love how so many are now experts when it comes to Swedish football. A few particular comments such as "His level isn't good enough even for Sweden" and "He's an ovverrated jokers who think too much of himself" are particularly funny.
  21. Nov 15, 2017

Foxbatt Full Member

It all depends on him, his form and the Manager. if he is in top form for United next year and if he says he is available then it would be tough for the Manager not to pick him.
  22. Nov 15, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

Pretty much. He'd instantly be Swedens best player again.

Zlatan scored 28 goals for us despite missing a fair whack fo the season ffs. He's still one of the top strikers in the world imo. Think people will be in for a shock when he returns and out performs Lukaku.
  23. Nov 15, 2017

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    He'll deliver Zlatan to WC? is Zlatan having some intestinal problems? I know the feeling, it sucks.
  24. Nov 15, 2017

Dobbs Full Member

He had 46 apps last season. Only played more than that once in his career.

Not being Swedish I've no idea what the alternatives are but wouldn't you want to see him play before making any decision? Or decide he'll outperform Lukaku. A guy who scored more than Ibra in the league last season before the injury.
  25. Nov 15, 2017

R.N7 Such tagline. Wow!

Supports:
    a wife, three kids and Eboue
    Zlatan or someone like Samuel Armenteros, yeah it's a real head scratcher who to pick for the final squad. He deserves another crack at a WC after having his best years wasted by a clueless manager in Hamrén.
  26. Nov 15, 2017

edgar allan New Member

It's a bit of a joke. He retired from the international team and chose not to help his country to try and qualify for the world cup.
    Thats fair enough but now that they have ,expecting to be selected after making that decision is not right. I would imagine it would cause some measure of bad feeling in the squad.
  27. Nov 15, 2017

Elokobi New Member

If he has a good 6 months then of course he should go. Sweden are light up top, even if he goes as a bench option it would still be worth it.

I am laughing at people saying he shouldn't go because he didn't help the team qualify, like what even is that? It makes no sense. You take players on form, who gives a feck if they played in the qualifiers.

Its also worrying how many people still do not understand Zlatan's humour.