Random Football Chat

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by GlastonSpur, Mar 11, 2017.

1. May 21, 2017

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce

Chelsea running away with the league kind of killed it off a bit, I think. Spurs taking them to the wire would've been a fascinating watch.
  2. May 21, 2017

Interesting stat: first time since 1979 both Arsenal and United have been outside top four.
  3. Jun 2, 2017

Carlsen19 Full Member

Pogba is playing for France right now if anyone's interested.
  4. Jun 4, 2017

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    Lazio's Patrick Gil posted this and Balde Kieta retweeted it. Possibly the first high profile openly gay players in football.

5. Jun 6, 2017

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    Germany v Denmark on now.
  6. Jun 19, 2017

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Georgbe Best documentary on now on BBC. 17 mins in.
  7. Jun 25, 2017

maba723 likes bananas a bit too much

Paul's 'dab in' in Cuadrado's charity game
  8. Jun 28, 2017

Ian Reus Full Member

Anyone know where i can watch or stream linfield CL qualifier tonight?
  9. Aug 15, 2017

Joleon Lescott's on Sky Sports News and the peculiar shape of his head will never stop baffling me.
  10. Aug 22, 2017

don't sign old players Banned

Why is Chelsea being underrated on this forum. They're the best team in the country by far.
  11. Aug 22, 2017

Fair enough. They've added depth in defence. They're the only team that even remembers how to win the league.
  12. Aug 22, 2017

SecondFig Full Member

Lack of squad depth? They were great last year, but had no European football at all. This year they've got CL and their signings were all replacements rather than additions (Bakayoko for Matic, Morata for Costa, Rüdiger for Terry/Ivanovic)
  13. Aug 22, 2017

Raoul Admin

They've also lost Matic and we've gained him (double bad for them).
  14. Aug 22, 2017

Hopefully it makes a huge difference!
  15. Aug 22, 2017

ti vu Full Member

I don't think so. It became stale when certain teams keep dominate it, while certain teams keep losing in the same match up against the former group.

A rebellious club to break that stronghold would ingnite a new fire in the competition.
  16. Aug 22, 2017

SecondFig Full Member

Have they? Where? I guess Rüdiger might be an upgrade on an ageing Ivanovic and an almost retired Terry, but it's hardly a massive upgrade and it isn't much of an increase in squad depth.
  17. Aug 22, 2017

ti vu Full Member

They ain't the best British team. They were just the most effiecient team last season. Their effiecient you may be disrupted with some big change in key position: Costa type of combative forward to skillful Morata. Matic who can is quite decent play making for pure physicality oriented style in Bakayoko. Hazard injury. Now they have to play in Europe and couldn't increase squad depth.
  18. Aug 22, 2017

Yeah, I think that keeping Hazard & Kante ( and now Morata) fit is the determining factor. I would have said the same last year. With CL this time around as you said, it's easier said than done.
  19. Aug 22, 2017

Yeah. I guess the key point for me is that no other team really remembers how to win the league, I mean no other team has the experience of doing it. Leicester City did it, but they're obviously not the same. Only Chelsea really knows how at this stage. It's been a long time since drinks for everyone else.
  20. Aug 22, 2017

SecondFig Full Member

Come on, that's rubbish. Bakayoko is certainly a more dynamic player than Matic, and has a different skillset, but can we not do the tired old "black player is strong/powerful/athletic/physical" rubbish? To call his style "pure physicality" is just nonsense and (probably unintendingly) feeds into tired old racist stereotypes
  21. Aug 22, 2017

ti vu Full Member

May end up asking him to come next summer for free no take a pay cut, so he can play in the new stadium at this rate...
  22. Aug 22, 2017

ti vu Full Member

Jeez. Dude, I watch fair amount of games of Monaco last couple years. He has dribbling skill, some nice turning moves... but his style is physical oriented. Nothing to do with stereotype. His passing range and the kind of pass is limited. That why he was likened to Fellaini. Is preferencing style of play of 2 French speaking players racist too?

The term dynamic is actually related to physicality aspect, right? Pace & power?
  23. Aug 22, 2017

SecondFig Full Member

Hey, I may be being overly sensitive, in which case sorry. I just had the same discussion/argument yesterday and it's just so bloody tired and out of date. Watch the Match of the Day analysis of Pogba and he get's described as being "strong", "powerful", "petulant", "powerful", and having "athleticism" and "power" - but never once as being skilful, intelligent, technical.

When we signed Lukaku Mina Rzouki was slammed (rightly imo) for saying she'd always take Morata over Lukaku as she would always choose the "intelligent" player, so while Morata is an intelligent striker, Lukaku is just big and powerful. When Kante get's praise it's for his work-rate, his energy, his engine - but rarely for his passing, rarely for his reading of the game, for his intelligence.

It's all just racist bullshit that we should have moved past decades ago
  24. Aug 23, 2017

ti vu Full Member

Same MOTD kept bashing Pogba all last season, while giving Kante credit for everything, even thing other players got credit for. Kante is very good at anticipating a play to break up play, but he doesn't possess the brain of a play maker. If anything, Mourinho targeted other Chelsea players in game to force the ball to Kante whose passing is pretty straight forward, or just run and congest his team own space. Kante also lack the discipline, and understanding for the Makelele role. He has been most of the time underwhelming in this role. Matic was not given enough credit for the role he did for Chelsea last season.

I personally didn't share that opinion, and if you come by me previous regarding Pogba issue, you can see I praise him for his technical ability and football brain. I was few first one who against Pogba in pure Lampard role as Pogba possesses superior play making ability and Lampard role would restrict Pogba from fulfill that potential. Pogba is inferior to Lampard in scoring instinct.

I know you're frustrated with the mainstream idea being indoctrinated by the media. I can assure you I am not fan of those idea too, and I judged Bakayoko by my own opinion by following quite a good amount of Monaco games in past seasons.
  25. Aug 31, 2017

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    just seen this, he was hit by a car when he was a kid and suffered a really bad head injury, lucky to be alive by all account
  26. Aug 31, 2017

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

But would the car have hit a human with a regular sized head?

No I don't think it's funny in any way, shape or form. Obviously. Really nice guy. Speaks well about the game. Glad to see him on tv.
  27. Sep 1, 2017

Bestietom Full Member

Going to a football game now is like a "Punters Day Out"......

Young fans are having a wager on the Craziest things:- Like more than 10 throw-ins in each half....

3 Yellow cards in each half... X amount of Corners in each half,,,etc.

Not only is this enticing youngsters to gamble, but for Gods Sake,, Who want's to hear a youngster shout---"C'mon, kick it out for a Throw-In"...Whilst waiting for 1 more throw-in, on a few pound wager..

My God,,what is our game of football turning into,when you see this happening..
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  28. Sep 2, 2017

Bestietom Full Member

Well transfer window gone, and No winger brought in for this season....Carry on as we are then, the fans say....

Well I still have every faith in Mourinho and would back him to come out on top against any of the top managers here now..

He is an amazing tactician of the game of football, and the Final of the Europa League showed his true worth..

Ajax posed a real threat with a superb, energetic young side. We on the other hand, were a depleted force ridden with injuries to top players.

But Mourinho, as he often does, treated us to a masterclass in pragmatism, squeezing the space high up the pitch, to prevent Ajax’s forwards from hitting top gear, and using Maroaune Fellaini as an outboard to bring United up the pitch.

"No Wingers,, No Worry" ... We have Mourinho
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  29. Sep 15, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    I don't know if you underrate the rising popularity of a club like PSG or overrate the Chelsea global fan base, my take is both!
  30. Oct 20, 2017

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

Kerlon just retired.

31. Dec 13, 2017

maba723 likes bananas a bit too much

Real Madrid 1-0 down to Al Jazira in the Club World Cup
  32. Dec 14, 2017

33. Dec 30, 2017

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

34. Dec 31, 2017

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INFLATION REGARDING DEFENDERS
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Central defenders: Thiago Silva: 42 m (2012) + Marquinhos 31.5m (2013) + Kimpembe (academy)
    Left- back: Kurzawa 22m (2015) + Berchiche: 15m (2017)
    Right-Back: Dani Alves (free agent) + Meunier 7 millions (2016)

PSG - Total: 118 millions of euros

Central defenders: Virgil van Dijk: 84 millions (2017) + Lovren 22 millions + Gomez 4 m + Klavan 5 m
    Left- back: Robertson 9m + Moreno 14 m
    Right-Back: Clyne 14m

Liverpool - Total: 152 millions of euros

Thiago Silva was probably the best central defender in the 2011-2013 period and was the most expensive central defender in 2012