Rangers go into Administration | Dossier passed to police

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Anna_Livia, Feb 13, 2012.

1. May 8, 2012

Gio Full Member

Concerning that Miller didn't like what he saw in the books, although his / Club 9's previous involvement with Sheff Wed and Tranmere didn't bode well in any case.

Hope that's not an Aberdeen fan giving a moral lecture on what constitutes fair participation in the SPL.
  2. May 8, 2012

Drifter American

Bill Miller has withdrawn his bid for Rangers, blaming fan opposition and fresh information that revealed the seriousness of Rangers' finances.

But administrator Duff & Phelps says three other bids are on the table - one from the UK and two from overseas.

American trucking tycoon Miller had been named preferred bidder last week.
    But he has now said that "preliminary information" given by Duff & Phelps was "more optimistic than reality" and he is no longer pursuing his offer.
    "As soon as I was announced as preferred bidder for Rangers, my team began to press ahead with our due diligence," said Miller in a statement.

"Until then, information had been limited to what was made available in the internet data room and questions addressed to the administrators and their staff.

"In addition, I had preliminary discussions with the Scottish footballing authorities and limited discussions with Ally McCoist.

Brian Kennedy and Blue Knights figurehead Paul Murray

"Upon being named preferred bidder, discussions with Rangers staff started and discussions with all interested parties intensified.

"We continued to work through the holiday weekend in order to meet a very compressed schedule.

"By late Monday night, it became clear to me that preliminary information, discussions and analysis were, unfortunately, more optimistic than reality."

The American had yet to visit Scotland following his bid for the club but turned in his statement to the reaction from some Rangers fans, who displayed anti-Miller banners at last week's game against Dundee United.

"Having no intention of negatively affecting the potential outcome of the club's future and after hearing the message from Rangers supporters and fans loud and clear ("Yank go home!"), I notified the administrators today that I have withdrawn my bid for Rangers and will not be moving forward," he added.

"I am deeply disappointed as I had considered the opportunity to bid for one of the most historic football clubs in the world, an honour and a privilege.

"I wish Rangers fans, supporters and employees my very best. I hope all your dreams and wishes come true. You certainly deserve it.

"I am most disappointed that I won't have the opportunity to walk into Ibrox Stadium on the day of an Old Firm match as my friends tell me the hair on my arm will stand up and I will never witness such passion and spirit at any sporting event.

"God Speed, Rangers!"

Bids from Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedy, the Blue Knights led by former Rangers director Paul Murray, a Far East consortium led by Singapore-based businessman Bill Ng and a mystery German consortium had already been discounted by Duff & Phelps.

Joint administrator David Whitehouse said: "Since Mr Miller was announced as preferred bidder on Thursday of last week, it is regrettable that more progress could not be made to further the sale of the cub.

"We have been informed by his advisors that there were a number of issues with which he felt uncomfortable, including legacy contracts, the limitation of potential revenue streams and the expectation of required investment.

"As in any company takeover, the selection of a preferred bidder does not guarantee the completion of the sale.
    "In this case, with time and money for Rangers running out quickly, it was essential to move the process forward with urgency.

"Mr Miller's bid was deliverable to creditors and was the only deliverable bid on the table at that time. We had no other unconditional bid.

"Given the fact that Mr Miller did not enter into an exclusivity agreement, we informed all other known potential bidders at the time the door was not closed.

"As a consequence of Mr Miller's bid being accepted, three other bidders have come forward to express their interest in buying the club and these offers are being evaluated with the utmost urgency.

"There is every opportunity for these bidders to now complete the purchase of the club prior to the end of the season."
  3. May 8, 2012

Baxter Full Member

You lot have been basically cheating for 15 years, spending money you didn't have and paying players illegally. Sounds fair to me.
  4. May 8, 2012

Gio Full Member

Again spending money clubs don't have hasn't been uncommon in Scottish football during the last 15 years as the likes of Aberdeen have demonstrated. Obviously the scale of Rangers' problems are greater than what's come before and I've already acknowledged the need for punishment. However, finishing bottom off the SPL a few seasons ago and not getting relegated was "basically cheating" as well.

Given the options ahead, the majority of Rangers fans are happy enough to go back to Division 3 and work our way back up the leagues. That's going to be unlikely because the 12 SPL chairmen will recognise the financial benefits as the over-riding factor in any decision-making process.
  5. May 8, 2012

Baxter Full Member

The debt was caused by the building of the Richard Donald Stand, which was mismanagement, and granted, shouldn't have been built. Also crippling us is the low attendances now, the last home game since Hibs was our lowest home attendance since 1975. Not exactly cheating. We haven't paid any money on a transfer since 2008. We haven't been able to keep players like Mulgrew or Aluko and even young players like Jack Grimmer and probably Fraser Fyvie. We are living within our means, unlike Rangers who were still paying a lot of money out in wages and transfer until very recently, on players like Goian and Jelavic. We sold Russell Anderson to Sunderland for £1m and couldn't afford a £30,000 replacement. That sounds like a club that is spending money they don't have.

The 10th place without being relegated is a stupid point. It was well known months before the end of the season that Falkirk's stadium wouldn't be big enough to comply with the rules of the SPL if they got promoted, as well as the league being expanded. That's not our fault is it, and can hardly be constituted as cheating?

You seemed to miss the point that not only have Rangers spent money on transfers and wages that the never should have but they have paid players illegally, using EBT, which the current President of the SFA Campbell Ogilvie was involved in, and haven't had the cash to pay HMRC when this was found out, hadn't disclosed payments to players since 1998, hence the massive tax bill. Rangers' won 7 titles since 1998, without disclosing the payments. That is cheating.
  6. May 8, 2012

Gio Full Member

Not really, the whole minimum 10,000 seater stadia concept was conceived partly as a notion to drive up viewing conditions but largely as a means of keeping out smaller clubs who either didn't have the stadium capacity (Falkirk, Caley) or would go bust trying to get it (Airdrie).
  7. May 8, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Who needs Dynastly and Dallas when you have Rangers?
  8. May 8, 2012

Anna_Livia A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.

:smirk:
  9. May 8, 2012

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

Scottish football
  10. May 9, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Well yeah that too. Still nobody should be above the law. Div 3 for them is the only right thing to do.
  11. May 9, 2012

Anna_Livia A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.

Scottish Football will survive for the three years it'd take them to work their way back to the SPL. It might even be stronger in the long run if we can drop the insane arms race of the last 20 years, and develop more home-grown players rather than bringing in highly paid imports.

Ultimately, if Rangers don't suffer the consequences of any wrongdoing that's proven against them, then Scottish football is fecked anyway. I certainly wouldn't pay to watch a league in which any team was considered too important to be relegated. What would be the point?
  12. May 9, 2012

x42bn6 Full Member

There are 30-odd clubs in Scottish football who survive without the Old Firm money. Scottish football won't die without Old Firm matches.
  13. May 9, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I was one who thought at first that Scottish football would die without Rangers, but I don't completely agree with that now.

Celtic will undoubtedly suffer, but what sets them back from Rangers will help other clubs to close the gap and challenge after a few years. Yes, we would see a few years of complete Celtic dominance, however after that we may see some sort of title race with other teams benefiting from Celtic not being as strong. When we've seen Rangers and Celtic win 9 in a row in the past, I think the league can take 4 or 5 years of Celtic dominance without suffering too much.

Anyway, at the rate it's going at, Scottish football would have eventually died with continued Old Firm dominance year after year. People have long been getting bored with it up here. A change will make things interesting.
  14. May 13, 2012

Drifter American

15. May 13, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

It's not going to be as simple as that though. It's more financially viable for owners of these clubs, yes, but it's not what the fans want to see. One might say that the fans are irrelevant in all of this as it's a business matter that will result in the best outcome for a business, but the fans are important in football. After all, without them, what's the point?

Reading through pie and bovril and other internet forums, a lot of fans are planning to just boycott their clubs games whenever they come up against the newco Rangers if they are in the SPL. Apparently Celtic fans in the Green Brigade have already said that they won't renew their season tickets if Celtic vote for a newco Rangers in the SPL, which they probably would do after all. I'm sure they're not alone in that. The fans have a voice in this, and they're going to make sure they make themselves heard.
  16. May 13, 2012

Meh.. No one listens to fan protests, because they never get big enough numbers
  17. May 17, 2012

x42bn6 Full Member

SFA rejects Rangers's appeal against its transfer ban and fine: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18099048

Hibernian are the first team to suggest they will oppose a Rangers newco in the SPL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18065520

Livingston suggest they will take legal action if a Rangers newco ends up in the SPL: http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/...n-against-scottish-fa-over-rangers-situation/ (Livingston were demoted under similar conditions, if less severe in monetery terms)

I'm seeing a lot of mixed messages on whether they will get a CVA or not. If there is a CVA, it's probably not going to be a large pot, and HMRC can veto it if they aren't happy as they hold a sufficient proportion of the debt.

Over on some Rangers forums, they're suggesting boycotting away games against clubs who have been kicking them when they are down: http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=220073
  18. May 23, 2012

stand_free Full Member

There was a BBC Scotland investigative report aired tonigt. Definitely worth a watch on iPlayer.

Basically the gist is this:

1. Rangers directors and players earned tax free bonuses through this employee benefit trust scheme. Barry Ferguson made over £2.5million and ex Rangers keeper Ronald Wattereus questioned the scheme before signing.

2. Graeme Souness allegedly received a £30k payment in 2001 from that scheme. 3 weeks later he signed Tugay for Blackburn....from Rangers.

3. David Murray used a loan from the Bank of Scotland to buy Rangers in 1988 and there is NO evidence to suggest he has ever used his own cash to invest in the club. Basically the banks have paid for everything.

4. Loans taken out from Rangers and paid to Murray International Metals.

5. Rangers directors aware of Ticketus deal prior to takeover despite denials to the contrary.

6. The administrators were aware of that deal as Whyte is a partner!

It's an absolute mess beyond belief!
  19. May 23, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

It would be beyond an embarrassment at this stage if a newco was formed and they were let back into the SPL. I would lose what little faith I have left in Scottish football.
  20. May 23, 2012

Gio Full Member

I imagine we will be in the SPL, albeit in a token manner in a competitive sense given we'll have points penalties, transfer bans, etc.
  21. May 23, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Don't take it in an offensive way, but I really think you should be sent down to the 3rd Division to be honest. You're a sensible Rangers fan unlike some though, only know a couple of other sensible ones who know their football, so I'm sure you can see my point.
  22. May 24, 2012

stand_free Full Member

I don't see how that can happen now given what came out last night.
  23. May 24, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

You and the Rangers supporters should be outraged by all that bullshit, in fairness to all the other Scottish clubs who didnt cheat for almost 20 years Rangers should have to earn the respect of everyone else and claw their way back from Div 3 to the SPL. Its not like it will take them more than 3 years ffs.
  24. May 24, 2012

B20 Giggsy! Giggsy! Giggsy!

Is that a given? How long does it take before they can actually afford anything?

Leeds haven't recovered.
  25. May 24, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Scottish football, unfortunately, is different. Rangers will claw in big crowds which will help them with revenue and they'll be back in no time. 3 consecutive promotions might be a stretch, but I can't see it taking them anymore than 5 years.
  26. May 24, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

exactly
  27. May 24, 2012

B20 Giggsy! Giggsy! Giggsy!

Leeds actually had higher attendance during their three years in league 1 than they did in the preceeding three years in the championship. 24K tickets on average is quite a bit higher than pretty much all other clubs in that league. Their problem was that it all fell into a bottomless hole. Won't Ranger have the same problem?
  28. May 24, 2012

stand_free Full Member

29. May 24, 2012

misterredmist Full Member

WOW ! They have to be punished for that it's theft to blood dope their squads ! It's a shame that RFC have to carry the can and that authorities can't go after the individuals making decisions on behalf of the Club, such as Murray and Whyte.............
  30. May 24, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Maybe, but with the ways of Scottish football, I wouldn't be surprised if their under 19s could walk the 3rd Division.
  31. May 30, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

32. May 30, 2012

Gio Full Member

Well that's just empty scare-mongering. The papers have been full of it the last fortnight in the absence of any real news.
  33. Jun 12, 2012

x42bn6 Full Member

34. Jun 12, 2012

stand_free Full Member

Liquidation looms, HMRC say it's "in the best interests of the public and the taxpayer to liquidate The Rangers Football Club PLC as a corporate entity and allow them to pursue those who have mismanaged the clubs finances".
  35. Jun 12, 2012

pauldyson1uk Full Member

Ok sorry if this sound daft, if they get liquidated is that the end of Rangers has a club.
    If somebody starts them again will that mean they have to start again from the bottom of Scottish football or be allowed to stay in the PL.
  36. Jun 12, 2012

::sonny:: Full Member

They are close to sign Gattuso.
  37. Jun 12, 2012

really?

his missus is Scottish i believe
  38. Jun 12, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

A newco could take Rangers place. After all one of the last things that Rangers own is the share in the SPL. They could theoretically sell if off (although of course this is not allowed), but they can transfer the share to the newco if approved by the SPL and SFA etc.

This is similar to what hapened to Leeds: http://www.redcafe.net/f7/rangers-go-into-administration-dossier-passed-police-348744/index13.html#post11198314
  39. Jun 12, 2012

pauldyson1uk Full Member

40. Jun 12, 2012

::sonny:: Full Member

Yes, she is.