Rangers go into Administration | Dossier passed to police

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Anna_Livia, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I know what you mean. All of the diehard Rangers fans out there would stick by their club, but there's plenty of Old Firm supporters who are just casual fans and will happily admit that they only like the Old Firm because they win. They are the ones who might turn to a local team. Since they wouldn't have to travel long distances, and it would ber cheaper, they might be encouraged to go and watch their local team.
  2. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

They'd still support the club they support though, no? If they had an affinity with Rangers they'd go and watch them no matter who they play. I'd go and watch United no matter who they were playing against, or what league they were in. I'm sure a vast majority of United supporters would feel the same. The only people you would lose are the fair-weather fans who support them because they were successful, and let's be honest, supporters going to watch Rangers and Celtic don't go to be entertained by fantastic football, the football in Scotland is fecking dire. They don't go to see star names play against their teams either, because nobody of any note plys their trade in Scotland. They go because they support the club and have done most of their lives. Being a few divisions lower doesn't change that affinity, does it? Are we, as supporters really that fickle?
  3. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

Let's hope United go into administration, so Bury can get a few hundred extra fans when they play Morecame then eh?
  4. Feb 13, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Yup, except the English Leagues do gain from it. But your right that is the natural extension. My prediction if it does happen:

- The SPL join with the English Leagues.
    - The Cultural backlash forces Scotland to vote to leave England.
    - The Scottish country quickly loses support amidst price spikes, and within 10 years votes to rejoin Britain.
    - The Welsh and Scottish National Football teams are amalgamated. The British team plays games at Wembley, Cardiff and a under construction Scottish stadium.
    - The home nations tournament is recreated as a once every two years event, for enough games to be played at the National Stadiums of the 3 countries.
  5. Feb 13, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

You're right in some cases, but it would surprise you how many fair weather Old Firm fans there are out there who only support their club because of the fact that they are successful. You'd expect some to stick by their club till the end, but the fact is that a lot of them would just start to lose interest in Rangers. I don't know for certain though, so all of this is hypothetical and speculative.
  6. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

It makes no sense whatsoever, since you're a United fan, and therefore not really a proper fan of your local club. Or are you a fan of your local club first and foremost? If a matchgoing United fan who lives around the corner from you turned up at your local ground in the event that United went out of business would he be any less of a fan of the local club than you are? He could have liked them for years, but never went since he was a match going United fan. Do you ever go to watch United? How much do your local club mean to you when you're sitting in Old Trafford? I'd guess very little since you're not paying to see them when you're paying to see United.

Also, the fact that you support United, but go to watch your local club dilutes your point somewhat. These casual Old Firm fans you think would flock to their local clubs with Rangers collapse, how do you know they aren't already going there and supporting Rangers on the TV, or taking the occasional trip to Ibrox when they get a chance to? Afterall, thats probably how you support United, no?
  7. Feb 13, 2012

Team Brian GB Baby Cameron loves X-Factor

Supports:
    Chelsea
    However bad the Scots may think their football league is about to become, it will never fall to the level of the Welsh Premier League.

I always find it amusing when I see the updates on Soccer Saturday of matches involving 'Airbus UK'.
  8. Feb 13, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I would probably say that I'm a fan of my local club first and foremost.

I'm not trying to claim the moral high ground here, by the way. I'm simply saying that it's something which could happen. I'm not even referring to a lot of the matchgoing Rangers fans here. They're the ones who, even if they weren't regularly going to the games like they were before, would probably stand by the club. It's more the fair weather fans who aren't massively interested in football, so just look to one of the Old Firm. There's nothing wrong with that, but as I said, one of the main reasons they wouldn't go to a Rangers game would be down to pricing and distance. With a smaller Scottish club, you've not really got that at all, because it's a lot cheaper and you wouldn't be travelling as far.
  9. Feb 13, 2012

misterredmist Full Member

Rangers eh? who would have thought it? I remember the late 80's when they were buying up the England team players like Chris Woods, Butcher, Wilkins, Trevor Steven - Chaiman Murray obviously chose a good time to go......

sure they'll survive in some form or other, I know no Club is too big to go out of business, just don't see it with the Gers, oh well, the SPL is now a one horse race instead of the previous two....
  10. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

They are a works/factory team. No different to PSV Eindhoven, Bayer Leverkusen or VFL Wolfsburg, all factory/works teams. In fact vast amounts of English football teams started out as works teams, United included.
  11. Feb 13, 2012

204Red Full Member

This should be a wake up to the powers that be in Scotland... how long has it been since either Celtic or Rangers have been first or second?

too often... even in the EPL, Yes United have been dominant since the early 90s, the teams challenging us have consistently changed, some growing stronger, while others weakened... the point being the league has been stronger with out a duo-opoly. Ditto Germany, where Bayern have been consistently strong, yet challenged by a variety of clubs. Spain is in danger of falling into this trap, but prior to the last 7-8 seasons teams like Valencia, Deportivo and Sociedad have featured decent sides, capable of winning their title... it makes for boring football... how excited can people get for the "Old firm" clash when they play each other on average 5-6 times a season?
  12. Feb 13, 2012

acnumber9 Full Member

No flights from Glasgow to London?
  13. Feb 13, 2012

acnumber9 Full Member

A lot of match going Rangers also come from Northen Ireland. The other clubs aren't going to pick up that support.
  14. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

Like I've said though, how do you know these vast amounts of Rangers fans you think would turn up in their droves to their local clubs, aren't there already, doing precisely what you do, and supporting Rangers whilst still supporting their local team, as you do with your local team and United? It's not about the moral highground, I'm just throwing it out there that maybe these fans you think will save their local teams are already there.
  15. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

Linfield might though.
  16. Feb 13, 2012

Gaz. Well-Liked Assman

Yeah you and me we can light up the sky, If you st
    Hope not... I live beside Windsor and don't need any more of those scumbegs hanging around
  17. Feb 13, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

I used to not mind Rangers but they can feck off for all I care after what they did in Manchester
  18. Feb 13, 2012

Anna_Livia A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.

That riot bequeathed a genuinely powerful artistic image.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  19. Feb 13, 2012

Wibble In Gadus Speramus

Is that for sure? The press are wondering if they are simply jumping the gun because they know they will lose the tax case.
  20. Feb 13, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I don't know at all for certain. It's just a guess that it may happen in some cases, which it may or may not.
  21. Feb 13, 2012

I don't think the tribunal has reached a decision yet. This is apparently about an inability to meet the day-to-day costs, although how that's possible is beyond me. Obviously they'd budgeted for European football, but they've had £55m in through the books this season - where that's gone is a mystery.
  22. Feb 13, 2012

RK Full Member

Shit league, shit fans.

I find Scottish football annoying to even hear about. "And now, results from the Clydesdale Bank Prem-oh why do we bother..."
  23. Feb 13, 2012

Gio Full Member

No it's obviously because of the impending results of the tax case.
  24. Feb 13, 2012

Decotron Full Member

Not all of them. Feel genuinely sorry for the non shit fans they have.
  25. Feb 13, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

The second part their is harsh. You can't comment on the Scottish football fans when you probably know nothing about them. Outside of the OF, who do have some very bad supporters admittedly, the majority of clubs have good, loyal fans.
  26. Feb 13, 2012

What I want, I think, is for a newco Rangers to emerge, with no claim over their past history. I then want them to pay for the last decade's financial doping by having *at least* a 15 point penalty for the next five years.
  27. Feb 13, 2012

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

:lol: :houllier:
  28. Feb 13, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

What would be the point in that? So you can 'win' the league for the next five years without any proper competition? That'd be like claiming you've completed GTA when you put in all the cheat codes.
  29. Feb 13, 2012

Cheating should be punished. Hell mend them. a long lingering punishment would be much more enjoyable than a complete annihilation, i think.

That's me in a generous mood too. ;)
  30. Feb 13, 2012

Mick1991 Full Member

Hasn't really dawned on you that the TV money will be slashed? Serious implications for the league as a whole if this happens.
  31. Feb 13, 2012

Hence my compassionate desire to let them live on.

:p
  32. Feb 13, 2012

manux399 Full Member

Not to mention The SNP's bid for Scottish independence ...! :houllier:
  33. Feb 13, 2012

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    I look forward to days/months/weeks of "Wayne Rooney/Carlos Tevez/Frank Lampard/John Terry/other player earns X amount a week and Rangers went into administration for only Y amount, what a disgrace".
  34. Feb 13, 2012

acnumber9 Full Member

Any club in red white and blue will do.
  35. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

So, basically, punish a brand new club and a new administration for the indiscretions of a now defunct team, just so Celtic could stroll the league? Makes sense. I hope you get your wish, and I hope Rangers beat Celtic to the league title on goal difference for every single one of your 5 year punishment.
  36. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

Portavogie Rangers ground could well be packed to the rafters every week!If they had rafters, that is.
  37. Feb 13, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

:lol: so true
  38. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

Clearly Rangers dead > Celtic alive.
  39. Feb 13, 2012

Gaz. Well-Liked Assman

Yeah you and me we can light up the sky, If you st
    It's a standard hate the other team more than support your own mentality
  40. Feb 13, 2012

The Neviller Banned

Have you read anything about it at all? Because, to be blunt, it's pretty clear you haven't a clue what you're talking about. They've lodged papers on the understanding the ruling will go through soon, and the tax bill will cripple the club. The tax issue is precisely why they could/will go into administration. Please read up on the facts before spouting nonsense.