Ranking top players in each position

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Darkhorsez, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Dec 6, 2018

Darkhorsez Full Member

2. Dec 6, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    Why are Mane and Sane above Sterling? its not the worst list ever but Mane, Sane and Sterling are wide forwards while Salah, Bale, Neymar and Hazard are just regular forwards has no logic.
  3. Dec 6, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I'd swap Courtois (3) for Ter Stergen (5).

*Ducks & hides*
  4. Dec 6, 2018

Pow New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Goalkeepers are up in the air for number 1 right now, de gea hasnt looked the same since the world cup.
  5. Dec 7, 2018

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

Disagree with so many of these. Don't even know where to start.
  6. Dec 7, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    True, and honestly, I've never really felt the difference between the top goalies has ever been that huge. Where you could say that peak Ronaldo/Messi are clearly miles above anyone else, I couldn't really say that one of DDG/Neuer/Ter Stergen/Courtois etc was the clear stand-out best goalie on the planet.
  7. Dec 7, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Not gonna bother with these top 100 lists but you could make an argument for that first 11 even though you disagree with some of the picks. Pep's drawing looks weird though, it's like he's not properly proportioned or something.
  8. Dec 7, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    DDG
    Carvajal Ramos Varane(2) Marcelo
    Modric Kante(2)
    Mane KDB Messi
    Kane

All the #1 players apart from Kante/Varane who are just behind Ramos/Modric. That's... A prettttty handy looking team, no matter how you look at it :drool:
  9. Dec 7, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Yea. You could make another 11 and it would look great. Honestly Carvajal stands out as the 1 player that shouldn't be there at first thought because he was injured for a good chunk of the year so he didn't really do that much for club or country but if you think about it more there just isn't a wealth of right backs playing at their peak in the world currently. I'd have Kimmich ahead of him and probably Trippier as well (good season with Spurs and good World Cup).

My 2nd team
    Ter Stegen
    Kimmich - van Dijk - Chiellini - Alba
    D. Silva - Kroos
    Sterling ----------------------- Mbappe
    Ronaldo - Salah
    Some excellent players barely missing out. Agüero, Sané, Neymar, Hazard, Firmino, Pogba, Cavani, Lewandowski, Griezmann, Isco, Coutinho, Eriksen, Alaba, Verthongen, Bonucci and whichever goalie you think is better.
  10. Dec 7, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

The only thing I can think is that when in their natural positions, Sterling, Mane and Sane play on their footed wing (sterling right footed plays right wing, and Mane and Sane are left footed and play left wing....usually). When you play on your footed wing you tend to keep wide and take players to the outside more. Meanwhile Salah, Bale, Neymar and Hazard are usually on their oppisite wing. Salah and Bale are lefties who play on the right, and Neymar and Hazard are righties who play on the left. Not sure if that's right, but it's the only logic I can think of for how they picked them...and you're right, Sterling should be ahead of Mane and Sane...
  11. Dec 7, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

I would take Kante over Pogba in a heartbeat. As for Lukaku, I think that's more about the fact that there aren't really any great strikers out there anymore. Kind of a dying position with more and more teams playing with a false #9. Strikers used to be your guaranteed leading scorers. Not so much anymore. However, I would probably move Lukaku to around the #8 position, move Icardi to #6 and keep Costa where he is...
  12. Dec 7, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Ramos #1 is a joke to me. I'd have a hard time putting him in the top 10. Has there ever been a more over rated central defender???
  13. Dec 7, 2018

Darkhorsez Full Member

I would take Kante but also keep Pogba. I know things have been rough since WC but he will come good. Also they offer different attributes that complement rather than compete. I think this survey is old as surely Ramos at #1 as you say is a joke!
  14. Dec 7, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

I know it’s personal opinion but you would have Mane over Salah, especially on the right wing?
  15. Dec 7, 2018

Bergman New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Exactly my thoughts. The most overated player of this generation imo. Always been a good player and decent defender.
  16. Dec 7, 2018

hasanejaz88 Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    Goalkeeper: Switch Ter Stegen with Coutoius. Rest are fine. As much as I love Neuer, can't argue against him dropping in the ranking because he has been bad since his return from injury

Center Back: Hummels should still be there, I read Bonucci had a poor year with AC Milan, though you can argue that it was the Milan tactics that didn't suit Bonucci but the same is the case with Hummels/Boateng at Germany in the WC (very high lines). Hummels for Bayern was still very good last season (as was Boateng). Also Pique continuing to be so high up is funny, Barca have been worse than Bayern defensively this season. It's difficult to judge center backs though because the game is becoming so much more offensive.

Right Back: Can't argue with Carvajal, Kimmich and Walker as the top 3. It's funny that Pavard is listed as the 4th best RB when he doesn't even play RB for Stuttgart. Shows how much the 'experts' actually follow the BL that they actually rate him as a RB. Pizsceck can be there because he's really improved this season under Favre, looking back to his best.

Left Back: Not much to argue about.

Center Midfield: Would've liked to have seen Witsel in there, he has been absolutely fantastic this season and their second best player. He can easily replace Thiago, who has become a nothing player for Bayern, even when he's not injured half the time. Pogba can't justify being higher than the top 3 given his club form.

Attacking Midfield: As much as I love him, how did Ozil move back into the top 10? They couldn't think of any other performing AM to be in his place? I honestly can't think of any in the BL (H) but then again I don't follow the La Liga/Seria A/Ligue 1 a lot to comment on their players.

Strikers: Lukaku at 6, above Icardi and Higuain? :lol: It seems they are rating people based on the World Cup because Lukaku doesn't deserve to be in the top 10 based on his club form.
  17. Dec 7, 2018

El Jefe Full Member

Kante does his job far better than Pogba does his so he's definitely better imo. Pogba is more talented but his performances don't match Kante's.
  18. Dec 7, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    More talented? You don't think it takes incredible talent for Kante to do what he does? He is a much better player than Pogba right now, it's not even close.
  19. Dec 7, 2018

El Jefe Full Member

Absolutely, in terms of talent Kante comes no where close. There's a reason why Pogba excelled for France at U17,U19 and U20 level and played for Manchester United and Juventus by the age of 20. Kante of course has talent but I put his success more down to hard work and application.
  20. Dec 7, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    My personal team would be quite different to that. That is just a team that makes use of all the #1 players on their respective lists, and the #2 players for CB/CM to make up the numbers.
  21. Dec 7, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Mbappe is not a better player than Neymar. Neither are Griezmann or Hazard.

All you have to do is watch a few PSG games and see who's their main man.

I'd put Ter Stegen 2nd for GKs.
  22. Dec 7, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

That's pure hyperbole.

Kante hasn't even been good this season.
  23. Dec 7, 2018

Josep Dowling Full Member

My team right now:

De Gea

RB - real lack of quality in this position at the moment
    Varane
    Van Dijk
    Marcelo

Kante
    Modric

Mbappe
    Messi
    Salah

Kane
  24. Dec 7, 2018

SilentWitness ShoelessWitness Staff

Supports:
    Everton
    I'm trying to think of many other very very good strikers that would be in contention for the top 10 on that list. Kane, Icardi and Lukaku are all 25 whereas the rest are 30+. Is the list really that lacklustre in that position?
  25. Dec 7, 2018

Siorac Full Member

It really is, it's not a great era of centre-forwards.
  26. Dec 7, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Buffon will make these lists until about 50 years after his death honestly.
  27. Dec 7, 2018

diarm Full Member

Firsts
    De Gea
    Kimmich Godin Van Dijk Marcelo
    Kante
    Modric KDB
    Messi Ronaldo Hazard

Seconds
    Oblak
    Carvajal Chiellini Varane Sandro
    Kroos Pogba
    Mbappe D.Silva Neymar
    Kane​
  28. Dec 7, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    You underestimate his attacking quality, and also ignore his judo and muay thai skills
  29. Dec 7, 2018

SilentWitness ShoelessWitness Staff

Supports:
    Everton
    Indeed, I'm only able to think of people like Mbappe, Griezmann and Salah but like has been said above and in the article they're 'forward' players, not strikers. I think this era of football though probably caters to that type of person rather than the strikers we are used to before. Even people like Kane who you'd consider in that ilk has much more to his game in terms of dictation and play-making.

Also why teams like ours are playing Richarlison as our centre forward.
  30. Dec 7, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

I think he's an excellent footballer. I would just never put him in the middle of central defense. Perhaps a DM but he needs protection behind him. He is constantly out of position and always good for a red/yellow card
  31. Dec 7, 2018

Schneckerl Full Member

I think their defenders ranking is the worst.
    Cancelo not even Top 10 right backs is baffling and the biggest omission of the list. I would rank him 1st for 18/19, I'm not sure how he played in 17/18 though.