1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

Rashford probably needs to leave - Jamie Redknapp

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Sigma, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Dec 12, 2018

simplyared Full Member

Yeah but he's making insane runs which not all of them result in anything. Alli, for example, doesn't go to those sort of limits. In fact none of those players you name come up to the speed and intensity that Rashford does.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  2. Dec 12, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Increasing work rate of pressing and try to win second balls back and make more run off the ball and movement off the ball, will make the player better, that's why Rashford get many chances and able to create chances, Lukaku doesn't get same amounts of chances as Rashford and has fewer touches and don't have same work rate as Rashford.
  3. Dec 17, 2018

Chabon Full Member

I've just noticed something pretty uncanny when looking at Rashford's stats and felt the need to share it, and this seems the only place anyone might care. We've all heard Rashford get compared to Welbeck, and Rashford has now made the same number of PL appearances as Welbeck did for us, and scored the exact same number of goals. But it gets weirder when you look at the detailed breakdown:

Rashford:
    [​IMG]

Welbeck:
    [​IMG]

53 starts, 39 subs, 20 goals, 13 assists: the exact same record. Obviously position comes into it, so, I checked that too: Welbeck started 30 games as a CF, whereas Rashford has started 28 games as a CF.

And yeah, the fact that I clearly noticed this because I know Welbeck's goalscoring record for us off the top of my head hopefully means people understand I don't intend this as a criticism, I just think it's both uncanny and quite revealing.
  4. Dec 17, 2018

PepsiCola Full Member

Welbeck played in a functioning football team, under a great manager.

Rashford has not.
  5. Dec 17, 2018

arthurka Full Member

Agreed. You could put prime Ronaldo into this team and he would struggle.
  6. Dec 17, 2018

68Guns Banned

Rashers is just a runner and an impact sub for a late goal. He's never in a million years a 90 minute starter here at Old T.
    His finishing is absolutely shocking, Andy Cole used to miss plenty of sitters (that's why King Eric hung up his boots) but Rashers misses are unbelieveable.
    I'd not miss him if we got good money for him hes only a squad player.
    Get rid I say.
  7. Dec 17, 2018

Reiliano New Member

Where would I even start with this.

Cantona retired because of Cole missing sitters, I've heard it all now
  8. Dec 17, 2018

marko goalo New Member

Sorry mate I can't agree with you. He's the only decent player we have in and around the 1st team except for Dave. He's the last player i'd want to see the back of. Pretty much everyone else can go before he does.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2018
  9. Dec 17, 2018

Chairman Steve Full Member

I’d give him another chance under a different manager, ideally a manager who’s pro-youth and pro-attacking. He certainly looked more assured in front of goal under LVG, who gave him a chance and kept him in the team, even though it wasn’t the most elaborate attack going.
  10. Dec 31, 2018

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

We should have listened to Jamie :(
  11. Dec 31, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

He can literally feck off
  12. Dec 31, 2018

Vooon Full Member

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
    HAhahaa, what the actual feck! :lol::lol::lol:
  13. Dec 31, 2018

clarkydaz Full Member

just hope we get a good price for him
  14. Dec 31, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Please tell me that this post got him banned :D
  15. Dec 31, 2018

Skills Snitch

I can't believe he's only just turned 21. Hoping gets the time and correct coaching to help mould his game and development over the next few years because his potential is sky high.
  16. Dec 31, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

I can understand Redknapps point. Not that I agree with him.

If Jose had stayed, would Rashford ever of got an extended run at #9? We’d always play Lukaku ahead of him, and our system wasn’t fluid enough for him to interchange.

If Rashford keeps this form up he can’t be dropped from #9.
  17. Dec 31, 2018

Longjohnson Shagwell Banned

I dont agree at all. He is young and who is to say his finishing cant improve with more experience as an out and out striker. He has dribbling ability, pace and is intelligent. Sometimes I would much prefer him to Lukaku
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2018
  18. Dec 31, 2018

DavidDeSchmikes Full Member

rAsHFord PrOBably NEeds tO leAVe- jAMie rEdKNapp
  19. Dec 31, 2018

Smores Full Member

It'll be interesting to see if Ole does reinstate Lukaku or Sanchez first choice. It'll almost be a defining decision.

I still think Rashford's game isn't quite mature enough to carry us to titles but whilst he's in this good form he shouldn't be dropped.
  20. Dec 31, 2018

He'lmurderyah15 New Member

haha
  21. Dec 31, 2018

-Supreme- New Member

100% this, I'd rotate him and Lukaku as number 9...both should get decent amount of matches throughout the entire season, similar to how Pep has been doing with Aguero & Jesus

I'm hoping Sanchez can be effective on the wide right. If not, I'd also try him as a 9 and see how he performs comparing with Lukaku and then make a decision to sell one or the other in the summer.
  22. Dec 31, 2018

Steerpike Full Member

Ole is in the happy position of being able to select purely on the basis of performances and tactics: he doesn't have to favour anyone to justify previous transfer decisions. Rashford will be in the side while he is fit and playing well.

I expect the selection for Reading to be interesting with a few players given the chance to press their claims for a spot in the first choice XI.
  23. Dec 31, 2018

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Jose was from the school of thought that you have a settled first XI, and the rest of the squad is there to help in case of injuries or outright tiredness.

Ole appears to be a Fergie disciple. He'll likely rotate his players week-to-week in order to keep them fresh. As such, I don't think we'll have a definitively first choice forward whether that's Rashford or Lukaku or Sanchez.
  24. Dec 31, 2018

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

He said this fairly soon after Sanchez arrived and everyone assumed he'd be an automatic starter for us.

Reality is that Sanchez has been mediocre and injured so it's not affected Rashers at all.
  25. Jan 1, 2019

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Eh?

You never knew who, apart from his undroppable favourites, he was going to play from one match to the next.
  26. Jan 1, 2019

Red_toad Full Member

Complete claptrap, he swapped and changed the team on a match by match basis. We didn't have a settled anything other than Dave and Matic. Even Lukaku forced his hand by turning to shite toward the end of his tenure at the club. Played a part in his downfall, can't make a team by constantly rotating them.
    His successful Chelsea side were exactly as you described, but certainly not at United.
  27. Jan 1, 2019

iluvoursolskjær Full Member

Rashford will flourish at Manchester United.
  28. Jan 1, 2019

Isotope Full Member

Supports:
    Ole Ole Ole
    As the great Kolarov said, we fans don't understand football. Who are we to question the like of Jamie, Merson, and Souness??
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  29. Jan 1, 2019

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
    Not sure Redknapp said anything wrong. He probably would have had to leave eventually if Mourinho remained our manager
  30. Jan 1, 2019

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Along with Pogba, Martial and DDG.

Imagine *shudders*
  31. Jan 1, 2019

villain Hates Beyoncé

Ffs :lol:
  32. Jan 1, 2019

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Not while here he wasn't.

https://experimental361.com/2018/12/31/squad-usage-premier-league-31-dec-2018/

Not a single unchanged lineup this season, and the highest average number of changes to starting XI.
  33. Jan 1, 2019

Wumminator The Special One!

Yeah, actually very sensible to be fair. I just wish we could have seen him develop away from Mourinho.
  34. Jan 1, 2019

hasanejaz88 Full Member

Supports:
    Germany
    Jamie wasn't wrong. As long as Jose was at the club Rashford was not going to develop at all. Under Ole he has been given the freedom to play to his potential and now we can be confident he can move forward and become a great player.
  35. Jan 1, 2019

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

I just find it a bit rich when they criticise us for Rashford, yet you barely hear anything from the same pundits about Sancho and Hudson-Odoi.
  36. Jan 1, 2019

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    I'm not going to try and argue against the statistcics. But that data illustrates a slightly different point to the one I was trying (and obviously failed) to make.

Jose made a lot changes, but they were mostly 'forced' on him: injuries, personality clashes, players not following instructions, players not playing through injury, players liking Instagram posts, etc. etc.

Throughout his career Mourinho liked a settle side and only swithced things up if something went drastically wrong. It was the same at United, where Lukaku played for months on end, or Martial played for consecutive weeks, or Herrera seemed undropped for a while. Then those players stopped doing things exactly as the manager wanted so a new man came in for a string of games. There was never a clear strategy to maintaining squad cohesion or individual freshness.

My point was specifically about rotation in order to keep players fit and happy. In a discussion about keeping individuals content, I was talking about the management of Rashford, Lukaku and Sanchez in the following contex:
    Ole will give each of them strategically planned minutes to maintain their morale over periods of time (much like Fergie famously performed the balancing act with him, Yorke, Cole and Sheringham). But Solksjaer won't necessarily have a 'first choice'. By contrast, Jose did have first choices, however short or long those players were able to nail down their starting berths.

Hopefully you can see what I'm saying.
  37. Jan 1, 2019

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

Exactly. While the likes of city and Chelsea receive plaudits for their youth systems, despite rarely bringing their own talent through, our young players - who've played loads of football - should leave to get more minutes. It's totally nonsensical.
  38. Jan 1, 2019

Jeffthered Full Member

If you can't see the player in Rashford, then I don't really know how to even begin to respond. 'Rashford is just a runner..'. What a bizarre statement.

He is an important player, a very important player for our club. Ahead of anyone else across our attacking line, and he has earned that by merit. I love that.
  39. Jan 1, 2019

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

The post you quoted is.one of the worst I've seen in a long time.
  40. Jan 1, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

Lets be real, its not the same, they have different type of agendas as pundits then football fans.