1. Hey Guest, there's a new Podcast: Football, Bloody Hell! Podcast Episode 9 - Afroman

Ravel Morrison | Sold to West Ham

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by ArmchairCritic, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Twitter ban coming up for the academy players I reckon.
  2. Nov 4, 2011

kf Full Member

Chill noodles... it's the internet... trying to engage in intelligent conversation is futile... especially at this time in the morning when most intelligent people are pissed and unable to converse...
  3. Nov 4, 2011

holdsteady Hates Sir Alex Ferguson

Basically, he had his outburst, then posted something he thought was innocuous about the end of the season. Then Wazza waded in which probably brought the full force of half of England with him.
  4. Nov 4, 2011

Raven Blade Dull

With Ravel it's always polemic.
  5. Nov 4, 2011

Art Art the artist

Its the typical rare wonderkid talent with attitude problems who keeps drawing attention to himself due to lack of games, which results in the gaffer putting him out on the big stage only for Ravel to play a blinder and cement his place in the first team.

I watch way too many movies.
  6. Nov 4, 2011

Drainy Full Member

Rooney will be winding him up about it tomorrow in training.
  7. Nov 4, 2011

Edmeiste Banned

I see. Just dont get the response from some people here. I mean you obviously dont like to see things like this but does it really warrant this kind of response?

Some people on Twitter were acting like idiots towards him. It actually accomplishes nothing. The boy needs continual guidance. Lambasting him just takes him backward. I'm sure this will blow over in time. If you remove the assumptions from his tweets, it seems pretty harmless to me.

I dont see how saying piss take is something that drives some people up a wall but it certainly did.

This is the world we live in now. Have to handle players much more carefully. Going all Eric Harrison on em wont necessarily get the response you want and based on some of the comments, it seems like some would like to take that approach.
  8. Nov 4, 2011

Julian Denny Full Member

Purely from a footballing point of view, I'd like to see Morrison on the first team bench now and start to come on. Clearly he's a very excting talent and at 18 he's certainly not too young to start making the grade (think Wilshere).

However, Fergie is not going to put both Pogba and Morrison on the bench for PL games - CC and maybe FAC is another matter. Its probably one or the other and Pogba is ahead of Morrison in the pecking order right now. Then there is the issue of Morrison himself who has the potential to be a bit of a hot head on the pitch as well as off it. Fergie will want to make it quite clear that he has to settle down if he wants to be a regular part of the first team squad. We can just hope that the lad matures quickly realising what a great career awaits him - one which could all go rapidly down the tubes if he doesn't get a grip.
  9. Nov 4, 2011

Neutral BTV

Oh great...another Ravel storm in a teacup.

He's a young player, frustrated at not playing - I would be too, he's had his head down, and everytime he comes on, he shows his class, we've got people clamoring for him to potentially make the jump to the senior squad, yet, there he is, on the bench for the ressies.

So he let off a bit of steam...big deal. I'm sure the management will think nothing of it.

As for Rooney, why not take his comment as a bit of friendly banter, and laugh it off.

Ravel can't win it seems...way too many fans, spend too much of their time micro-analyzing his every move.
  10. Nov 4, 2011

Edmeiste Banned

It's because they're used to micro-analyzing everything else about the club. Shocking to say the least. The kid needs constant support. Leave him out to dry and the dream's over. It's that simple.
  11. Nov 4, 2011

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Tbf I can understand his frustration. He played well in the 20mins against Aldershot but yet have been on the bench for the ressies for past two or three times. Good to know the lad is showing the passion to be on the pitch, that tweet was a wrong thing to say but I'm sure he'll mature as he grows up.
  12. Nov 4, 2011

Name Changed weso26

Handbags.
  13. Nov 4, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Not too fussed about a young lad throwing a strop about not playing. Happens all the time. Nor do I care that he didn't play. I'm sure there was a good reason.

I'm genuinely worried about young footballers like him having a profile on Twitter though. Being relentlessy lectured by random United fans about how to behave, followed by dog's abuse from morons the moment he genuinely steps out of line, isn't exactly going to enamour him with the club. It could also mess with his head and make him lose focus. It's all so completely pointless too. There should definitely be a ban.
  14. Nov 4, 2011

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

I'd agree with the Twitter ban for the younger players, not specifically Morrison. The likes of Rooney, Owen and Rio are household names and are extremely unlikely to be affected by any nonsense on twitter. Young footballers are much more fragile mentally and don't need that kind of exposure at that stage of their careers. Problem with Twitter is it empowers the general public to say what they want to the footballer anytime they want using any language they want and all behind the comfortable confines of their computer screen. So you get a hell of a lot of provocative bullshit aimed at getting a reaction. Someone who is established has the self confidence to screen through the nonsense and disregard/ignore it and focus on what they want to utilize it for. Not always the case with the younger ones.

Besides, for footballers it's a way to connect with their fans. These young players will have a fan following when they achieve something. Till then its a pointless tool to gain negative press and little else.
  15. Nov 4, 2011

Varun Wants the D...

Totally agree. Its different with experienced pros. they can handle the bullshit that gets thrown at them. with someone as young as morrison, it could affect him.
  16. Nov 4, 2011

Feed Me I'm hungry

I found the idea of an adulterous Wayne Rooney (with his history for holding the club to ransom with a transfer request and his own indiscipline costing him the Euros) policing Ravel Morrison on Twitter absolutely hilarious.

Put simply, the club should get a handle and not allow any of them to have accounts - the feckers are airing dirty linen in public.
  17. Nov 4, 2011

Art Art the artist

How is the club going to ban twitter for the young ones? I'm all for the idea of having to do something about the recent events. I mean practically thinking, take his phone away?Ban his ip? There's only so much control a club can have on a player's personal life to my knowledge.
  18. Nov 4, 2011

Varun Wants the D...

By just telling the players that the club has banned every player from using twitter.
  19. Nov 4, 2011

Art Art the artist

How do you think it will work? (the concept works) but do you really think the players will obey?
  20. Nov 4, 2011

Varun Wants the D...

Not even morrison's thick enough to risk his career at the club because of twitter. they'l toe the line, no question.
  21. Nov 4, 2011

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

Seeing him behave like that probably just explains why he isnt playing - they probably wanna see him change and mature first, and not making the same mistakes over and over again
  22. Nov 4, 2011

gooDevil Worst scout ever

That's completely idiotic. Do you even know what he was actually accused of? Everyone would be in jail.
  23. Nov 4, 2011

voland Full Member

First one was bullying a witness I think? Along with some gang friends of course, but that's a serious crime mate.
    Next, while on probation he hit on his girlfriend, which might not be bad enough for prison, but combined with the previous offense, shit gets serious.

Correct me if I'm wrong thou.
  24. Nov 4, 2011

4 pages of this?

Christ, maybe he just booked his vacation package in Jamaica for him and his family, and he wanted to tweet about his excitement, perhaps without giving away the details.

People seem to have been convinced he a 'bad seed' by what they've read, but he's done practically nothing. Walking around with some people who had guns on them. Do you think he frisks everyone he meets? Suggesting someone who had something taken from them just drop it, shudder! Breaking something in an argument...throw that man in jail!

Bunch of garbage.
  25. Nov 4, 2011

You're wrong. He didn't Don Corleone, let me give you an offer you can't refuse with a gun on your head, some guy.

He suggested to some guy who had something stolen that he drop it. I've done that.

Broke his girlfriends phone in an argument [threw it out a car window]. I've broken things in an argument. He did NOT hit her.

So I need to go to jail?
  26. Nov 4, 2011

Inigo Montoya Full Member

Don't think we need to trivialise the nature of the first offence..it wasn't simply "a suggestion".Intimidating a witness is pretty serious and if it wasn't for Utd he'd have faced a custodial sentence, that much was made pretty evident.

The second I agree was blown out of all proportion.

The point is that he has become a player with some profile now....if not high profile yet.He'll be judged on his every move and action.I cringe each time the commentators mention his previous indiscretions but unfortunately that's what comes with the territory.I couldn't care less about Twitter but I do worry that so many people put so much credence in what people post.A ban? Not sure how that'll work as there are other ways thoughts and opinions will make the press/internet, and surely while there are laws governing free speech,I'm not sure it's workable....great idea but.....
  27. Nov 4, 2011

I did some digging, I'd never read any details of the accusations, so here is some of it. I'll admit this is worse than I thought based on the vague term 'witness intimidation'.

Basically he offered to replace the item and give the guy money to keep it quiet. When the kid didn't agree, he made some vague threatening comments. Again, something I've done myself, but something that I don't condone.

Still, not something that should result in jail time, for anyone, especially a kid. Kids say threatening things to each other quite a bit, if you recall your youth. I'm sure I've been told I'd be killed at least 50 times.

As far as being in the group of people, when one of them pulled a knife and took the items, I don't see how Morrison can be expected to control that situation. But yes, he should be smart and lose his 'gangster' associations.

You think Roy Keane, or other players from rough neighborhood, never talked to anyone like that? It's not acceptable, but it's not a serious crime either.
  28. Nov 4, 2011

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

We have a lesser version of Balotelli, both talent wise and behaviour.

The club are aware he is worth millions, and are trying to tame him by whatever means. It will be interesting to see how all this transpires.
  29. Nov 4, 2011

Edmeiste Banned

I just cant take some people seriously on this issue. It's like people take a delight in ripping this kid to shreds. Take no account in where he came from but just keep judging every little thing he does. He stepped out of line and backtracked yet that's not good enough.

Oh he's a top class moron as some people say but he made an immature mistake that some teens make on a regular basis. You can say i'm making excuses for him and I won't care. I sympathize with the kid a bit just considering the kind of kids I encountered growing up. I know where Ravel can end up and football is really one of his very few outlets of getting a good chance at life.

Yet some people (not necessarily on here) choose to take this angle...."he's hanging around with idiots and leeches". Wow, as people, we've really become great problem solvers. Yep just get all bent out of shape and criticize. That's how it's done.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Once the support goes, the boy's a goner as far as I'm concerned. Definitely a bleak way of looking at things but it's what he needs at this stage of his life. He hasn't been coddled and brought up the right as everyone would like. He's got much to learn and United is basically the only thing giving him that chance to learn and become a better person for it. Due to his situation, there's bound to some bumps along the road but as long as you show the player you have faith in him, he'll come around. People like him just need to know that he's got people on his side that are vying for him to succeed.

We already know about his character on the pitch and what he can do. If he deems football important enough, he'll come around. As long as we give him the chance, I think he'll eventually come to his senses. Not all kids are angels and Ravel is certainly not one of them. Nonetheless, I think if we keep pursuing with him and supporting him then he'll realize how blessed he is. Sometimes it takes kids a while to see that even though they're at Manchester United of all places.

It was really more of a comment I saw on ROM that set me off. I just know too many kids in Ravel's situation. Obviously not a wonderkid but the talent to do something with his/her life but most of the times it doesn't work out because instead of someone reaching out a hand and supporting them, they just get slapped with criticism. Granted, some of the things they do are wrong but they've grown up differently compared to their privileged counterparts. For some reason, people forget that and just simply dont take it into account.

Hopefully, with Ravel, some of you can actually give him a chance. Sure it's annoying but you have absolutely no idea what it's like being him. We only judge from what we hear. From what I've learned in life, that's definitely not good enough.
  30. Nov 4, 2011

Art Art the artist

I really appreciate the fact that you've taken the time to write that Edmeiste but don't you think Ravel is already living every kids dream? He is one of the best prospects of one of the best football clubs in the world. He is a recognized prospect and which is why gets criticized. He has already been given the chance and is living it everyday. While his behaviour is not something we've never encountered before, doesn't make it acceptable. He is young and needs to be told what's right and what's wrong from a footballers perspective and from a person who has seen decades of great footballers. And that person has probably spoken to Ravel or will speak to him about it because if theres anyone who knows about Ravel's ability, its SAF.

With twitter and the media and how news can quickly travel and manifest itself in different ways, I do think its been blown out of proportion but a brainfart by Morrison nonetheless. No matter how talented and how cranky one kid can be, it doesn't take a lot to think about who is pulling the strings and tell yourself "the gaffer knows what he's doing so I just have to be patient and wait for my chance".
  31. Nov 4, 2011

Inigo Montoya Full Member

Judging by early appraisals of him, he's been tipped as our Scholes,Iniesta,Xavi.Hence the attention.

I can see why so much time and attention is being invested in him....you simply wouldn't want him being snapped up by another team;think they all know it'll happen
  32. Nov 4, 2011

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

May be he wasn't played because he'll be on the subs bench for tomorrows game. :D
  33. Nov 4, 2011

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I am not sure we can already compare him with Balotelli on a talent level scale. He hasn't started a professional game in his career and his only brief League Cup appearances were against teams that are no better than our reserves. It will be a while before we know exactly how good he is, that's why it's even more baffling to see him act the way he does. On the other hand I can understand his frustration, if he doesn't get to play for reserves then why they just don't put him into the youth team?
  34. Nov 4, 2011

Art Art the artist

We have too many cool, level headed youngsters in the likes of Smalling, Jones, Cleverly, DDG when we think of a future squad. We need one feisty maestro :) .
  35. Nov 4, 2011

Red Hand Devil Plan M ish

"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
    :lol::lol:

Havent heard that in a long time :lol:
  36. Nov 4, 2011

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

Ravel is just one of those guys where you assume the worst, probably shouldn't on my part but why the feck has he got 20,000 followers when he's played 20 mins of 1st team football, he's a great prospect but that's too big a platform for him to be airing his grievances on, it's also not good to have 20,000 people slagging you off/offering you advice every time he tweets something that can be construed the wrong way. Get him off it and just let him get on with his football.
  37. Nov 4, 2011

Decotron Full Member

So much sand in so many vaginas
  38. Nov 4, 2011

datura Full Member

I'm starting to think he's just a massive wum on twitter and so many have been reeled in.
  39. Nov 4, 2011

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

Me too but I still think he should be avoiding places like twitter, then again you don't want to restrict him too much off the field otherwise it could have an adverse effect on Ravel. Hopefully he apologises for him little tantrum at the reserve game yesterday and finds himself on the bench for the Sunderland game.
  40. Nov 4, 2011

Red Hand Devil Plan M ish

"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
    :lol:

Build a Castle big lad :D