Ravel Morrison | Sold to West Ham

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by ArmchairCritic, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2011

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Erm, Owen isn't such a good example. He was excellent at a young age but then disappeared in his mid 20s because physically he couldn't handle it and got injured time and time again. Perhaps it wouldn't have happened had they been more careful with him at a young age when his body was still developing.
  2. Oct 26, 2011

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    For those that haven't seen much of him previously, these are two of his last games for the Academy last season. The first one (2 parts) is the second leg of the FA Youth Cup Semi Final against Chelsea, played at Old Trafford.

These next two are from the Youth Cup Final against Sheffield United. Once again, it's the second leg and is played at Old Trafford.

3. Oct 26, 2011

Drainy Full Member

Your attacks against this child are one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen on this forum. You've been constantly mocking him in the thread thats specifically about him and now you're taking it over to other threads. Get a grip.
  4. Oct 26, 2011

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

Anyone that watched him in the youth cup at Anfield last season will know this kid is something special. He just needs to sort out his head and who he hangs around with really.

Could go either way with him - a real talent or a wasted talent
  5. Oct 26, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    [​IMG]
  6. Oct 26, 2011

prateik City Fan

:lol:
    how did i miss this
  7. Oct 26, 2011

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

:lol:

I second Prateik, how did this pass me by?
  8. Oct 26, 2011

De Selby Likes them tattooed and bald

It'd be nice if people would stop blathering on about Morrison 'needing to sort his head out' or that he 'needs to stay out of trouble'.

When was the last time you heard about him stepping out of line or doing something unprofessional? It's been a while. Every time his name's mentioned a bunch of people pop up with the usual stuff about his character and past behaviour.

He wouldn't have been in the squad yesterday if he wasn't doing well behind the scenes.
  9. Oct 26, 2011

RedLars Full Member

I don't get it? Is that supposed to be terrible?

Looks like a kid to me, often doubled up on by two defenders, who got into a bad flow and missed some passes but is otherwise clearly talented. If you've ever played football, you'll know what that feels like.

Looks talented to me though, which I'd say the fact that he's their youngest ever first team player is a testament to.

Anyways, very impressed by Ravel last night. Hope we'll see more of him soon, such an exciting prospect!
  10. Oct 26, 2011

Yup but every time he seems to make progress something new pops out of the woodwork, I think most of us are just being cautious because it's clear he's a massive talent.
  11. Oct 26, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Was immediately after the equaliser.

Good sense of humour, the Norwich fans. I guess that's important when Delia Smith's in charge of your football club.
  12. Oct 26, 2011

Drainy Full Member

:lol: that is quality. Still, he shouldn't be so brutal on a kid that was 16
  13. Oct 26, 2011

Ah, I very rarely watch other football matches now with the odd exception of Barca matches.
  14. Oct 26, 2011

Name Changed weso26

:lol::lol:
  15. Oct 26, 2011

Julian Denny Full Member

If you regard three or four months as "a while" then that's true. Obviously we hope like hell he's on the straight and narrow now. It would be tragic if so prodigious a talent cannot fufill himself because of what he gets up to off the field. He strikes me as a bit arrogant but that's fine if it expresses itself in the right way. Fergie will do his best to make sure he's ok. Anyway I hope he does because this fellow could be a greater talent in the making than the likes of Jack Wishere who was about the same age when he became a first team regular, fist on loan at Bolton and then Arsenal.
  16. Oct 26, 2011

Inigo Montoya Full Member

Like?

Two incidents; one well documented that occured some time ago and the stupid one involving his girlfriend.....hardly something new popping out the woodwork.Most of the stuff is now rumours he did this or that, he's been seen with this person etc.Doesn't seem he's likely to shake it off in a hurry
  17. Oct 26, 2011

The incidents with Morrison include the one where he was in a car with guys who had guns, the witness intimidation one which resurfaced after with complaints of Ravel harassing the victim and we also had this stupid phone thing with his girlfriend. Just look at the timeline he's had this year:

Manchester United ace Ravel Morrison escapes jail after threatening robbery victim | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

United starlet Ravel Morrison is charged with assault | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

Probe into why Manchester United starlet Ravel Morrison was spared prison over bust-up | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

New brush with the law for Manchester United starlet Ravel Morrison | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

He'll mature though, it takes time and he seems to have matured a bit judging by his tweets. There were times in the past year whenever the Ravel thread was bumped up that I was wondering what he'd done now and I was praying it was for something on the pitch.
  18. Oct 26, 2011

Red Hand Devil Plan M ish

"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
    Let me introduce you to:

http://www.redcafe.net/f9/manchester-united-set-sign-next-cristiano-ronaldo-just-3m-341990/

The title of the article has a typo btw - it meant to read £3.00

:D:D:D
  19. Oct 26, 2011

gooDevil Worst scout ever

Link 1 & 4 are to the same thing, so are 2 & 3, no need to make it look like there are 4 things he did when you have two, the 'intimidation' and the girlfriend phone fight.

I don't know about driving with guys with guns, but the other claims would look pretty tame on this side of the pond. He was in a group of people and one of them attacked someone else. He later spoke to the victim and suggested they drop it.

The he yelled at his girlfriend and broke her phone.

This happens every day in every city in this big ole country. It wouldn't make the news even if it was Michael Jordan.

Being in a car with guys with guns would make the news, even if they were registered, though. We like stories about guns.
  20. Oct 26, 2011

It's not the incidents themselves but the duration they last. The choice of 'something new' was probably wrong in my initial statement but things definitely seem to stick with Ravel, he'll be alright though, we just need to be patient.
  21. Oct 26, 2011

Mick1991 Full Member

Armchair those articles are referring to the same things (Nobody is sure what happened outside the College but if I was to take a guess I reckon he was trying to make up for what happened previously). Inigo is right, two main one's and a load of rubbish in between.

This thread should be kept to the football, he looked a bloody natural last night, you are always wary of what to expect when they make that step up......he was brilliant.
  22. Oct 26, 2011

Yep - he's been a busy lad alright!

He prob needs to change his hangers-on mates, because they're only goin get him into deep shit. We've all had mates like that, wasters that have a chip on their shoulder, best thing you can do is rid yourself of them asap!
  23. Oct 26, 2011

See my post above yours, the incidents aren't an issue for me as some of them seem stupid i.e. the girlfriend one but all this time spent in court and having uncertainty over cases isn't helping Ravel at all. He seems to be doing fine now and long may it continue.
  24. Oct 26, 2011

Michael Jordan yelled at his girlfriend and broke her phone??????????

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  25. Oct 26, 2011

sammsky1 Full Member

Tunnicliffe is also meant an amaizng prospect to complete it as a homegrown midfield 4 that could mature into a unit as amazing as Giggs Keane Scholes Beckham.

That IMO is worth waiting for rather than 'buying' instant solutions.
  26. Oct 26, 2011

Name Changed weso26

Morrison looked really good last night when he came on. I still can't figure out what position he was supposed to be in.
  27. Oct 26, 2011

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

Still can't believe how assured he looked. Pogba looked a talent but also looked like a young player looking to impress. Morisson, on the other hand, looked like someone who'd been playing in the first team for ages. And I'm not just talking about attitude but also in terms of his overall play.
  28. Oct 26, 2011

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Exactly. He was showing some amazing confidence for a guy making his debut, wanted to take that free kick as well.
  29. Oct 26, 2011

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

I'd heard about his confidence (or cockiness) but I was surprised to see such assured technical ability and decision making. I know we were coasting and the opposition were poor but he looked a first teamer in the aspects that usually take players time in the first team to get. Very exciting.
  30. Oct 26, 2011

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

You should've watched him play for Reserves and Academy mate, even two three years ago, he looked like a class above from everyone.
  31. Oct 26, 2011

Drainy Full Member

He's a natural footballer. Everything just comes so easily for him.
    Could start him against Everton and he wouldn't let you down technically.
    Just need to let him mature at his own pace so when people really try to sink their claws in he's prepared. Also perhaps he's not fully physically ready for first team premier league action.
  32. Oct 27, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    would like to see Morrison and Cleverley in midfield.
  33. Oct 27, 2011

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

I hope that he's been given a right royal arse kicking. We can't stop him from being friends with certain people, but a sly little 'cut the shit or you're out' warning may not go astray. Yes he's talented, but responsibility comes along with talent.

I think that more first team play might make him take another look at his life and see if hanging out with dickheads is worth sacrificing would could be an absolutely brilliant career for.
  34. Oct 27, 2011

Julian Denny Full Member

Fergie will have to buy - he can't wait for Morrison and Pogba who could be two seasons away from regular first team action. Having said that Fergie will want to keep a close watch on Morrison because of his background and therefore a loan spell is unlikely unless its to a club managed by someone whom Fergie trusts completely.

I hope he gives Morrison more chances in the first team this season. However, what we need right now is a ball winning defensive midfielder to take over from Anderson. That has to be a priority I would have thought.
  35. Oct 27, 2011

Neutral BTV

People go on about his arrogance and cockiness, but people who have watched the reserves know that, Ravel is a real team player. Yes, he has a few tricks, and doesn't mind showing them from time to time, and is sure of himself. But watch him when he plays, and he is constantly looking to pass the ball, involve his team-mates and moving into space to make him self available for the next pass.

Whether he will settle down, be able to make the jump to PL level, and more importantly find a defined role/position in this current United team, is another story....but while his off the field persona needs work(and it is improving) on the field he is the ideal player/teammate.
  36. Oct 27, 2011

If he did we'd never know. Hell, he had affairs when playing and the press loved him so much they didn't report it!

But then he gave them the interviews they wanted. I wonder if anyone would get a pass like that these days. But then Jordan is possibly the most charismatic sporting great in American history outside of Cassius Clay.
  37. Oct 27, 2011

Sorry? You mean how the legal process was so long considering the relatively un-serious charges? I'm thinking that's not what you mean, I can't think of anything else.

The fact that the papers made it sound like he made someone 'an offer they couldn't refuse' and was 'lucky' to avoid jail time...surely your legal system isn't that harsh to anyone who sees a fight and then tries to defuse the situation! I didn't realize I've been guilty of witness intimidation! Sounds impressive.

But yeah, what a prospect, looks like a grown ass man out there, not a boy who just won the FA Youth Cup.
  38. Oct 27, 2011

The witness intimidation case was pretty serious to be honest but to be fair to Morrison it was from an incident which I think was back in 2009. The papers like to spin but most of the details would have been gleaned from the court papers.
  39. Oct 27, 2011

championo Top Stalker

off topic, I love your user ID.

Going to pester TOP to change my username to ArmchairCriticII
  40. Oct 27, 2011

Ha thanks.