Reaction to conceding first goal

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by AgentP, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Feb 1, 2018

AgentP Full Member

I find that since Fergie left, we rarely win a game where we concede the first goal. This is especially true against the bigger teams. It's become so frequent that I more or less prepare myself for defeat as soon as the first goal goes in. On the plus side, we almost never lose the game after we score first. I'm just wondering if it is a mentality issue or it's just the way it is in most teams.

I feel teams like Arsenal, Liverpool and City react better when going down compared to us. Leicester in their title winning season made so many comebacks. I'm on my phone now so I hope someone comes up with the stats to get a more objective view.
  2. Feb 1, 2018

Cee90 Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13

I think we played well for around 10-15 minutes after conceding that early first goal, but we didn't take our chances and Spurs grew back into the game, whereas we just grew frustrated.
  3. Feb 1, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Yeah the second goal killed the game. But I'm not just talking about yesterday. When was the last time we won against a top 6 team after conceding the first goal? The only one that comes to my mind is the win against City under Van Gaal.
  4. Feb 1, 2018

mitchmouse Full Member

The thing is, the moment Kane flicked the b all on, I said: we 're going to let goal in here. you could just see it coming and yet again Lingard missed a very good chance (the sort the likes of RvP. RvN and any number of City players would have scored) and Lukaku looked like a lump
  5. Feb 1, 2018

Raw Full Member

That 4-2 v City was the last and only time since Fergie where we beat a top 6 team after conceding the first goal.

Have to go back to the 2-1 away win v Liverpool in 2012/13 under Fergie to find the next one.
  6. Feb 1, 2018

MemphisDepay Full Member

Supports:
    Rangers and Celtic
    What are the other big club’s records in terms of going behind and coming back against the other top sides?
  7. Feb 1, 2018

Turnip Full Member

My reaction was basically waiting for the whistle. They broke the rules 10 feet away from the linesman. We should have defended better too of course.

Not only that but we did respond really well on the pitch for a few minutes and had we kept that up I'd have been happy personally.