Real Madrid and Liverpool - their support after The Munich disaster

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by BeforeKeanetherewasRobson, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Feb 6, 2018

BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Full Member

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Well the anniversary has come around again and as usual I (along with millions of fans world-wide) will reflect again about a key but tragic moment in our clubs history.

I like to think I know a bit about United after decades of being a fan and specifically about the Babes after listening to my Dad and Granddad who both saw the Busby Babes play numerous times (and as you can imagine, raved about them). But it was only a few years ago that I came across the story of what Real Madrid did after the tragedy and how Santiago Bernabeu was affected. A bit more searching found out that Liverpool also offered support which was great to see and probably reflects how both clubs recognised that the tragedy far outweighed any rivalry.

Various links on the net but just copied a couple of pieces about each clubs support. Both will always remain rivals to United but worth remembering that they (and especially Bernabeu and Shankly) tried to help when few clubs or the FA did.

(Mods, I made a comment (not about Madrid/Liverpool) in the Munich 60 years thread and advised could have started a new thread so assumed this should have one too. Trust ok).

"The story of it is revealed in John Ludden’s book A Tale of Two Cities: Manchester and Madrid 1957-1968 and Ludden told The Independent he was surprised there is some modern animosity between the clubs. “When you look back on the history and you see what Real Madrid did for United after Munich.” he said, “It’s incredible.”

This warmth between Bernabeu and Busby grew out of mutual respect for each other’s teams, and led to some remarkable displays of generosity and charity when United were at their lowest. It grew out of the European Cup semi-final of April 1957, which Madrid won 5-3 on aggregate but were held to a stirring 2-2 draw in the second leg at Old Trafford.

Bernabeu was so impressed by the spirit and quality of United’s young side that he offered Busby a job. The Scot, though, was desperate to win in Europe with United, and said no.

Ten months later, United’s young team was devastated by tragedy. An air crash in Munich, 55 years ago last week, killed eight players, three staff and 10 others. They had just won a European Cup quarter-final. The dream of Busby’s side conquering Europe looked over.

United lost their semi-final to Milan three months after the crash but Milan were beaten 3-2 by Real Madrid in the final. Bernabeu, dedicated the win to his fallen friends from Manchester and even offered United the trophy, though it was turned down.

If that offer was purely symbolic there were material pledges too, most significantly the offer to loan United the world’s finest footballer, Alfredo di Stefano, “the Blond Arrow”, for the 1958-59 season. “Bernabeu went to see Di Stefano about this,” Ludden said. “He was willing to go until the end of the season, United paying half his wages and Madrid the other half. But the Football Association blocked it as he would be taking the place of a potential British player.”

So Madrid helped in different ways. They made a memorial pennant with the names of the Munich dead, called “Champions of Honour”, which was sold in Spain to raise money for United. There were offers to the injured and bereaved to recuperate at Madrid’s luxurious facilities in Spain at no cost.

There was also a series of fund-raising friendlies between the two teams. As well as the human and sporting cost, the Munich disaster had hit United’s finances. Real Madrid usually charged £12,000 for such games, but Bernabeu told United “pay what you can afford”.

These games were not just fund-raisers, though. “United could not even dream of Europe, it was more a case of staying up [in the First Division],” said Ludden. “So Busby’s idea was to keep the idea of Europe alive for the fans and players. It gave the players a level – of Ferenc Puskas and Di Stefano – they had to get to if United were to get back in Europe.”

In October 1959 Madrid won the first friendly 6-1 in front of 63,000 at Old Trafford, with Di Stefano, Puskas and Francisco Gento outstanding.

Madrid won the re-match the following month 6-5, a remarkable game watched by 80,000 entranced fans, who applauded both teams off. That evening Madrid organised a fund-raising banquet for the bereaved families of Munich in which Bernabeu said Busby was “not only the bravest, but the greatest man I have ever met in football”.

For the next friendly, in October 1960, Puskas and Di Stefano were injury doubts. Bernabeu asked Busby if he wanted to postpone the game but United’s manager insisted, saying that Madrid “had become like family”. Puskas and Di Stefano were so impressed they played anyway and helped produce another classic, which Madrid won 3-2.

United were getting closer and in the next friendly in December 1961 they beat Madrid 3-1, and the following September won 2-0 in the Bernabeu. United won the FA Cup that season, the first trophy after Munich, and the title followed before the European Cup in 1968, United overcoming Madrid in the semi-finals on their way to the prize Busby had driven his rebuilt team towards for 10 years.

“If it had to be anyone, then I am glad it was them,” said a gracious Bernabeu afterwards. He had played his own part in their resurrection.

--------------------

"Not only Real Madrid, their arch and fierce rivals Liverpool also offered them five first team footballers. Legendary Liverpool boss Bill Shankly offered to pay their wages as he was deeply saddened by the tragedy and wanted to be a part of United’s rebuilding process.

“it also opened a lot of peoples eyes to how the fans hatred has destroyed what everyone believed were unbreakable bonds between United and Liverpool – sure there was intense rivalry but no hatred – Liverpool had a place in United hearts because as soon as it was announced we would carry on after Munich, (many thought we would fold) Liverpool were straight in and offered United the pick of their reserve team and any other help we might need – Forest were the only other club to offer help.”

– Bill SHANkly"
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Feb 6, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Superb read.

I always respect Madrid for what they did in 50s and 60s after the tragedy. I read that few years back.

Edit: Yeah Liverpool too. Great man Shankly, I don't think I have read anything bad about the man.
  3. Feb 6, 2018

SER19 Full Member

The fact that we should respect those clubs for their response is undoubtable.

The fact that many of us have close to zero respect for Real Madrid now shows that we're barely talking about the same sport
  4. Feb 6, 2018

United never give up Banned

Did City help us out after the Munich air disaster? (not trying to stir up any controversy, genuinely just wondering)

Amazing what Madrid did for us - they truly are a great club

Also great respect to Liverpool and Nottingham Forest for their support
  5. Feb 6, 2018

Cal? CR7 fan

The FA, screwing over United again and again.

One of the reasons why I strongly prefer Real to "mes que un cnuts".
  6. Feb 6, 2018

NotBrendanRodgers honest Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Football has changed alot since then. It is sadly no longer the working mans sport
  7. Feb 6, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

Great read.
  8. Feb 6, 2018

Akshay Moderator Staff

Really interesting, thanks for sharing that.
  9. Feb 6, 2018

City, not that I know of though did see their website comment...

"Today Manchester City remembers those who sadly lost their lives in the Munich Air Disaster 60 years ago.
    The plane carrying Manchester United players, staff and officials crashed on take-off at Munich-Riem Airport on 6 February 1958 - a tragedy that affected the whole of Manchester and sent shockwaves around the globe. Former City goalkeeper Frank Swift, travelling as a journalist on the flight, was also killed in the crash.

Manchester City’s Chief Operating Officer Omar Berrada and Club Ambassador Mike Summerbee will attend a memorial service at Old Trafford today."
  10. Feb 6, 2018

NK86 Full Member

Had read about Madrid earlier too but the Liverpool bit is new. Just goes to show that at the worst of times, even the fiercest of rivals unite.
  11. Feb 6, 2018

I think it's a recognition of the type of people Shankly and Bernabeu were, their love of football and that (regardless of club) they knew that some things were far more important than what is after all, a sport.

Given the time period, Bernabeu/Madrid's offer (players, matches, holidays) was amazing. It would have been easy to say "we're very sorry for your tragic loss" and leave at that ..... as plenty of others did.
  12. Feb 6, 2018

BigCaine Banned

Another thing seems to be how pathetic and disgusting the english FA were pre and post tragedy.
  13. Feb 6, 2018

Pav1878 New Member

Great read and thanks for sharing.

Lovely to hear that other great clubs came to our aid as I'm sure we would have done.

It's a real shame we have such a bad relationship with Liverpool fans and the club in general now.
  14. Feb 6, 2018

Redlambs Creator of the Caftards comics

Officially the best poker player on RAWK. Your cas
    The FA are a bunch of old cnuts, always were and always will be.
  15. Feb 6, 2018

Rafateria Banned

Wonderful read. Thanks for posting that. I learnt a lot that I didn't know.

YN WA for the Munich lads.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  16. Feb 6, 2018

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Great read. Knew about Madrid offering help but good to know the details.
  17. Feb 6, 2018

Found this - more about the City players than the club but still reflects the times.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-news/man-city-munich-man-united-14252509.amp
  18. Feb 6, 2018

King.of.Red New Member

first time I know about Madrid and Liverpool helps. Barnebau and Shankly are really great.
    thanks for sharing
  19. Feb 6, 2018

Decomposing In Paris Full Member

Supports:
    United, & Coleraine FC
    Actually sitting with tears in my eyes...
  20. Feb 6, 2018

United never give up Banned

I remember a while ago seeing threads where people were claiming that they "Had lost the love for supporting United" during the LVG era

When you reflect on the history of our great club on days such as this, it seems impossible that this thought would cross any United fans mind

Wherever we end up, no matter how things go - United will never die ❤️
  21. Feb 6, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Great and interesting read. Fair play to Real, LFC and Forrest.

I agree that kind of talk seems pretty hollow given what our club and its staff/fans have been through before (not to mention those of other clubs) but as others in this thread have said it isn't the same game any more. The bond between club and fan, which in the past could survive genuine tragedy, is torn asunder these days by egregious business decisions and a couple of seasons of relatively subpar football. The difference between eras is as stark as it is sad.
  22. Feb 6, 2018

MadMike Full Member

I mean if it bores you so much....

Nice read @BeforeKeanetherewasRobson, thanks for that.
  23. Feb 6, 2018

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

Great read, thanks for sharing. Had no idea Madrid offered that much support to United.
  24. Feb 6, 2018

Port Vale Devil New Member

Supports:
    Port Vale
    Awesome read thanks for sharing that.

Great to hear how other clubs offered to help during Utd's darkest hour.

Kudos to all the clubs that offered.
  25. Feb 6, 2018

Jazz Full Member

Well said.
  26. Feb 6, 2018

Jazz Full Member

Madrid were indeed great to us at that time. We really shouldn't forget, regardless of whatever conflicts there may be at the moment.
    Also, not to forget the help of the other clubs, including Liverpool.
  27. Feb 6, 2018

misterredmist Full Member

Very nice post on such a day, heart warming
  28. Feb 6, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Think people forget that the United and City players would be friends and the impact it had on them as well.
  29. Feb 6, 2018

Danny Roberts Full Member

Just such a shame that the game is all about money and rivalry these days as opposed to just being a sport, a game.
  30. Feb 6, 2018

Subho611 Full Member

I hope you mean YAWN.

Edit: Is there a forum rule where YN*WA automatically changes to YAWN? Please disable that.
  31. Feb 6, 2018

Rafateria Banned

Unfortunately yes there is .. I'll go back and add a space so it's not changed. Cheers.
  32. Feb 6, 2018

Rafateria Banned

Unfortunately I forgot the forum automatically changes YN WA to YAWN .. I'll go back and add a space so it's not changed.
  33. Feb 6, 2018

MadMike Full Member

Don't worry mate, I already knew it. I was just pulling your leg.
  34. Feb 6, 2018

Ahuh, the link I put above in post 17 talks about the impact on City players. Different times so more of both club's players from the NW and on much closer/friendly terms so impact was felt more than it would probably be today?
  35. Feb 6, 2018

GBBQ Full Member

In fairness to those who have said this, its probably exactly because we no longer resemble Busby's United.
  36. Feb 6, 2018

RedTiger Full Member

Man that brought tears to my eyes.
  37. Feb 6, 2018

Zlaatan Full Member

Great read that. It's refreshing to read something about football and the rivalry it produces that's actually made into something positive, no matter when it happened.
  38. Feb 6, 2018

Lam New Member

Thanks for sharing. Did not know about Liverpool offering players.

Always had a soft spot for Madrid. I hope they get someone worthy of their history to lead them instead of the joker Perez.
  39. Feb 6, 2018

NK86 Full Member

Think it had a lot to do with the FA not wanting English teams to play/participate in Europe over their domestic cups. How full of themselves can they be is a topic for another day.
  40. Feb 6, 2018

DreamIsh Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I was going to post this in the remeberance thread but thought better of it. I don’t want to put toxicity in that thread.
    But I’ve just had a browse on Bluemoon and came across this. Truly shocking. I cannot believe it:

“A very sad incident at the time that will effect anyone connected to the individuals today and that goes for anyone connected with all sad incidents that have taken place since. However if you were to ask me, do I ever give any thought to any of these sad events, my answer would be, ‘NOT REALLY’ but that doesn’t mean I don’t have respect for those that do. I can fully understand wanting to pay respect to any event that does effect one and that goes without saying. However, I think the memorials to this event today and years gone by are just a generation for financial gain by the club andmedia. I’m not wishing to upset anyone andapologise if I have but this is my honest view.”

“I'm in total agreement with this.

The rags have milked this disaster for so long it's like a sick joke now. Every single year they have some kind of ceremonial event that involves fleecing their brain-dead followers of their hard earned. And like the mindless drones they really are, they lap it up. Any old tasteless souvenir crap will do, as long as they pay.
    How about commemorative duvet covers depicting moving scenes of the stricken airplane, printed tee shirts with the slogan "Munich '58. Always in Our Thoughts". Or maybe a Chevrolet sponsored football match where a 'rag legend' could play for a couple of minutes for a grotesquely inflated fee...no, wait they wouldn't sink that low.
    Or how about selling a load of those plastic bald wigs you can get, like in the joke shops? Then each year the plastic Asian rags can dress up as the combover king and run around saying things like: "Rook at me, evelyone. I'm Lobby Charton"!”