Real Madrid

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by marcosdeto, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Apr 26, 2012

gaffs Full Member

He is about to win La Liga. I think he has delivered. They are in a far better place than when he took over.

Im not sure why they took their foot off the gas in the second half - maybe they were scared of Bayern scoring meaning they would need two.

They were a couple of penalties short of going to the final - fine margins and all that.

As United fans, we cant knock other clubs failure in the CL - we have been in it for the last 20 years and won it twice. Fergie has said that is a poor record for a club of our size and stature.
  2. Apr 26, 2012

Raoul Administrator

Really ? Its hard to say Madrid were outplayed given that Bayern needed a very late goal to get bailed out on their home ground. Also, you seem to ignore the weekend fixture where Bayern rested 8 players, whereas Madrid had to win their league against Barca. Naturally, Bayern were going to be more fresh, and even so managed to lose the game 2-1.
  3. Apr 26, 2012

Raoul Administrator

Its an excuse only because you claim its an excuse. In reality, when you're playing at full speed for 90 minutes against Barcelona and Bayern are resting in a Sauna, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce who is going to be fresher in mid week.
  4. Apr 26, 2012

Raoul Administrator

They've won the league and Copa del Rey in his first two years. In what alternate universe can that be viewed as not delivering ?
  5. Apr 26, 2012

Trionz Banned

Is it only me who thinks playing against Barcelona is more exhausting mentally rather than physically.

Real Madrid didn't actually press frantically against Barcelona, that they would be exhausted.
    They were camped in their own half, making shorter amount of movements while defending & keeping the shape; and the rare moments when they countered don't actually drain you of all the energy, does it?

Playing against Dortmund would be more energy draining because their passing is much more faster & unpredictable, plus they attack with purpose; in which they do tend to lose the ball and there is more chances to attack them as well.
    With Barcelona, you concentrate & sit back for half an hour, counter, sit back again for half an hour.
  6. Apr 26, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    It's very dissimilar. They had all of their best defenders available, for starters.

I think people are making too many excuses. Sure they had a tough game at the weekend, so what? That's the way these things work - especially at the business end of the season. Chelsea played Arsenal in a high stakes game the same weekend and United made our two CL finals in seasons where we were competing for the league title right up until the death.

Neither of the Spanish sides have had any kind of injury crisis either. If players are tired, then their coaches are to blame for not rotating enough. It's not as though the number of games they played was a surprise.

They failed to deliver. Simple as that. Had their chance and fecked it up. Credit to Bayern but Real Madrid can feck off. All that money and talent and they couldn't do it when it counted.
  7. Apr 26, 2012

Cina Jimmy Lumsden (Moderator)

Bayern weren't as good last time we played them, and yeah, we had a stronger squad than we do now, but the saving grace is that this squad can potentially be a lot better in the future if we buy right.

I also find it funny how people use the fact that Real had an easy route to the semi final to claim they're not actually that good, yet whenever anyone brings up our easy route to the final last year, they get slated for it.

I don't think we've a squad capable of beating Barca to La Liga, and we couldn't even get past the group stages this year, or get any way far on in a domestic cup, so yes, Real are a better team. There's no shame in it, it's one of the most expensive squads ever assembled.
  8. Apr 26, 2012

A lot of people mentioning the 8 players Bayern rested at the weekend. Well, Madrid won 2-1 last night (against the run of play, mind you). What was their excuse for getting beat in the first leg? (a game in which they were dominated even more comprehensively)
  9. Apr 26, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Too much real loving going on here. Deservesly eliminated last night. Will the fans be happy with that? Probably not.
  10. Apr 26, 2012

We were outplayed in Europe on numerous occasions this year, and people make a shitload of excuses as to why. Seems from this and other threads that if an 'excuse' is made for why Real failed to win, the person gets laughed off.

There's a lot of hypocrisy floating around in here.
  11. Apr 26, 2012

Livvie Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn

Someone said that half of Caf members were thick.
    Marcus, to be fair, Mourinho has proved himself in the past - if you're judging him on this year, then surely you'd have to judge Fergie too?
  12. Apr 26, 2012

TheBest SPNTBP

I never make any excuse, so hopefully you weren't pointing at me.
  13. Apr 26, 2012

No, but there are quite a few around, some posting in this thread :)
  14. Apr 26, 2012

The excuses about playing weakened teams, rookie defenders and not really being up for the Europa League? They remain valid.

If you've got any similar excuses for Madrid I'm all ears. The fact they had to (shock, horror) play a game of football at the weekend doesn't hold much water.
  15. Apr 26, 2012

kps88 Full Member

Don't understand the need to constantly put down teams and start comparisons to us. Madrid and Barcelona both lost incredibly close games of football. They could have easily both been playing in the CL final if they didn't miss a penalty. If that had happened everyone on here would be unanimous in saying they're the best two teams in Europe. Fine margins.
  16. Apr 26, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Exactly, Madrid have one of the most expensive squads ever assembled and people are making excuses for them because they had to play on a saturday, then the following wednesday? So what, they went 2-0 up and followed that up with being outplayed for the remainder of the game. Bayern could/should have scored 3 or 4 last night. Madrid created nothing in the 2nd half nor extra time. I saw many popping up laughing at Barcelona but they also played saturday, played pretty much the same 11 and completely dominated against Chelsea.
  17. Apr 26, 2012

But that's bullshit really. SAF played weakened teams on purpose, he also played his best team in the 2nd leg of the Athletic game, saying 'we didn't take the Europe league seriously' is a load of rubbish.

I won't make excuses, never have, we were just shit in Europe this year, be it from player performances, Fergie's tactics (which were dreadful at times, in truth). There is no way, with the squad we have that we shouldn't have qualified from that group, so feck excuses.

Also, have you considered the fact that Bayern are actually a very, very good team? As in, far better than any we've faced in the CL this year. They've been tipped as dark horses right from the start, I said myself they're the only team in it capable of winning it ahead of the 2 Spaniards. God knows what Robben, Alaba, Ribery etc would've done to our full backs given what we've seen from them this year.
  18. Apr 26, 2012

The results hinged on fine margins but the pattern of the games was very different. Barca were much the better team against Chelsea, Bayern out-played Madrid. It was a close result but not a close game.
  19. Apr 26, 2012

TheBest SPNTBP

People just seem to look at the goals scored, according to that logic even "less fresh" madrid was better than bayern yesterday(2-1) which actually wasn't the case, even you will admit that. Yes bayern probably were little more fresh but I don't think it had too much bearing on the game. 4 days gap should be more than enough for a team like madrid.
    Plus like I said imo madrid were outplayed in the first leg as well where you can't use the fatigue excuse.
  20. Apr 26, 2012

This has been done to death and isn't the thread for it but if you really think Fergie would have rested Carrick and Ferdinand (two of our most important players at the time) for the first leg of a knock0out game in the CL, then sub them both off when we're chasing the game in the second leg then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

And yes, Bayern are a very good team. We've already seen how Robben and Ribery do against our full-backs, remember? Took a harsh sending off to change the pattern of the game (not to mention our best striker playing on when he was blatantly not fit) but we certainly caused them more problems than Madrid did last night.
  21. Apr 26, 2012

TheBest SPNTBP

Totally this. Barcelona were the better team and every one knows after watching the match that chelsea deserve to go through but barcelona are much better whereas madrid were outplayed in both the legs even though the final result was close.
    We aren't comparing madrid with chelsea here so we can't say only goals matter because we are looking at the wide picture concerning how good madrid actually are. We all know chelsea aren't that good.
  22. Apr 26, 2012

Arruda Full Member

Squad rotation and depth is a must at the highest level. If teams want to insist on fielding their best XI twice per week then they will eventually pay the price. If they expect to fulfil the huge demand of doing a double, then they must be ready and prepare for that.

No doubt that Bayern and Chelsea were at an advantage in terms of freshness, I don't think that can be denied. But that also came at a price for them - disappointing league runs.

Surely Mourinho and Pep were aware that their opponents in the CL would be running on fresher legs? Well, they had to account for that, it's part of the game.
  23. Apr 26, 2012

More excuses yet again. Like I said, regardless of injuries, we should've qualified from a group like that.

You can't make excuses for why we got knocked out in the group stages (of which there are many) and criticise people for making excuses for Real being knocked out in the semi final against a much better team than we faced at any stage.

You asked originally if people consider Real to be a better squad than us still, my answer is a yes and will remain so until we sort out the problems we have. Considering what they've achieved this year compared to us, I think it's a fair thing to say.
  24. Apr 26, 2012

Skywarden Full Member

What are the Spanish hacks saying today?
  25. Apr 26, 2012

Trionz Banned

Do they really have a reliable squad depth btw?
    Sahin, Higuain, Kaka, Coentrao, Diarra is all that comes up in my mind, out of which Sahin is not played enough, nor is Kaka.
  26. Apr 26, 2012

TheBest SPNTBP

If that ain't squad depth then nothing is. Most of these players will start for arsenal. Jose just doesn't fancy squad rotation.
  27. Apr 26, 2012

Arruda Full Member

Ronaldo and Messi play every minute of every game, it's incredible. I've seen most of Barcelona games this end of season and it invariably ends with Messi knackered in the final minutes, barely moving unless the ball falls on his feet, despite the game being solved for a long time. From what I've read he "doesn't want" to be substituted.

That thing of them both beating goalscoring records for fun it's nice and all, but it takes it's toll.
  28. Apr 26, 2012

WeasteDevil Full Member

Not read a paper today, but yesterday Marca was a front page of Messi and Ronaldo and how Chelsea's "anti-football" won over "real football" and how Ronaldo would set things straight blah blah blah, then 8 pages on the build up to the Real-Bayern game - Morinho "we deserve it" and how many Real players have been in the final before, etc., with the Barcelona-Chelsea match report and comment stuffed back where it was nicely hidden. They always do this, bad news, hide it. I suppose that they think that it's too painful and that Barca fans won't buy the rag if they can see it. Probably volleyball or tennis on the front page today.
  29. Apr 26, 2012

Trionz Banned

But who covers for Di Maria, Ronaldo, Alonso and their defence.

I had like to know how many different players Mourinho used in La Liga & CL.
  30. Apr 26, 2012

kps88 Full Member

Agreed. But despite that Bayern never ran away with it and Madrid were a cat's whisker away from winning it and potentially competing an impressive cup double. Not too shabby.

I don't care if you consider it a valid excuse or not, but the fact is Madrid had a huge game at the weekend and I think it was blatantly obvious they looked tired as the game wore on. Some would say taking it to penalties against a very good and rested Bayern team is a pretty good effort in itself.
  31. Apr 26, 2012

antihenry Full Member

[​IMG]

Jose reacts to Ramos' penalty. :lol:
  32. Apr 26, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Aye the same posters who said that we weren't that great in Europe last season due to us faltering against the first quality we met are now defending Real Madrid's season. They've had an incredibly easy run to the semis and were defeated by the first quality team they met in Champions League. I thought Bayern was by far the better side yesterday;
  33. Apr 26, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

I think the Barcelona we have seen over the last few weeks is not just tired after this season but its knackered after playing at such a level over the past 4-5 seasons.

All that pressure and huge game after game must take its toll. On what has been pretty much the same nucleus of players. And let’s not forget many of the Spanish also have been doing it for Spain too at the very same level and tempo.

Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, Pique etc… all look a shadow of their former selves IMO in recent weeks.

Oh and they will be quaking in their boots when they have Aidan McGeady and Stephen Hunt charging at them in June!!
  34. Apr 26, 2012

I'm not defending either of those. But you could easily swap it around and say that the same posters who were defending our run in last year and saying it wasn't easy are now claiming Real had an easy run in.
  35. Apr 26, 2012

Me too, fully deserved their win. But thats not to say on paper Real have a far stronger side and are about to win a far harder league than Bayern who will finish 2nd in theirs.

Football has has been proved once again this week as the most unpredictable sport.
  36. Apr 26, 2012

DevilRed Full Member

Couldn't agree more. You can only play whoever is put in front of you. Say what you want about Mourinho but he has improved their team year on year and now they are going to win their domestic league which is a vast improvement from last season.

They have also managed to beat barcelona at the nou camp and prove that they are capable of matching them now. Furthermore, they were a few penalties away from booking a place in the Champs League final. All in all its been a successful season for them. I don't think any of us would hesitate to swap positions with them right now.
  37. Apr 26, 2012

Our run-in was much, much tougher than Madrid. They faced Moscow and APEOL. We faced Schalke, Marseille and Chelsea. It wasn't even comparable.
  38. Apr 26, 2012

Agreed. They are a better side than Bayern.
  39. Apr 26, 2012

Trionz Banned

Is it?
    Bundesliga
    1 Borussia Dortmund 32 23 6 3 71:23 +48 75
    2 FC Bayern Munich 32 21 4 7 71:21 +50 67
    3 FC Schalke 04 32 18 4 10 67:42 +25 58
    4 Borussia Mönchengladbach 32 16 8 8 46:24 +22 56

La Liga
    1 Real Madrid 34 28 4 2 109 30 79 88
    2 FC Barcelona 34 25 6 3 97 26 71 81
    3 Valencia CF 34 15 10 9 54 42 12 55
    4 Málaga CF 34 15 7 12 50 47 3 52

Real Madrid only finds it harder because Barcelona accumulates as many as them & in previous season more than them.

If Real win all 4 of last 4, they would have 100points on the board.
    100 fecking points in a league doesn't indicate a hard league for me.
  40. Apr 26, 2012

I would consider Valencia and Malaga to be superior to Schalke and Monchen. And I certainly consider La Liga's bottom half to be far stronger than the bottom half of the Bundesliga.

So I think this proves that Real have showed amazing form and consistancy and are considerably better than the rest this season.