RedCafe.net Podcast - Episode #3

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Niall, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Aug 25, 2009

Niall All Powerful Super Being

On the third episode of the RedCafe.net podcast, Steve, Dan and Dov look back at the fantastic victory over Wigan with a passing mention for the midweek defeat to Burnley.

The lads will specifically look at Wayne Rooney's century and there's a couple of interesting debates surrounding Darren Fletcher, Michael Owen and whether they merit a place in the side.

There's also the regular features of the week plus a look ahead to the visit of Arsenal on Saturday in what could be a decisive fixture at this early stage of the season.

Do make sure you keep an eye out for regular Twitter updates and get yourself signed up to the RedCafe.net Podcast Facebook group too! You can also email us at podcast@redcafe.net.

Thanks very much for all your support and enjoy the show!

[podcast]http://podcast.redcafe.net/RedCafe_Podcast_003.mp3[/podcast] If you cannot see the above audio player, you may alternatively download the podcast directly.
  2. Aug 25, 2009

Tumbling-Dice Caf Nostradamus

Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
    Excellent as always from you guys, I really enjoy your work, some people may say it's too safe but whatever, you engage the listener, it's really well put together and the acid test must be 'do you switch off ?' No .. it's engaging and it's always a fair summary of where we are at. It's great to see the podcast becoming more caf focused, you guys are obviously reading the forum and getting sparks off current topics. You have competition now from the redcafe 'poshcast' and that can only be a good thing, what a great thing for redcafe to sport a bi-weekly podcast from two different crews, one featuring a rival fan, the other featuring a crew from up and down the country. One coming out early in the week one coming out near the weekend, we win all sides up.

Steve I got your PM re the intro and having done near a thousand km the last week and just logging in for the odd read and post I'm now in the situation over the next few days to look into how we can improve it.

Good discussion on Fletcher, I'm glad the Scotsman in the big chair puts more faith into him than our resident podcast Scotsman ;)
    For me it's a no brainer, he's simply our best midfielder the last few months, I'll still believe to my dying day he would have made the difference against Barca.

Tough on Owen, again from the Scotsman, on naming him cabbage of the week, his goal against Wigan was of the highest quality. Same with naming Vidic, despite his moment of daftness he was superb and a welcome return to fitness, we've missed him. Anderson was understandable but he was played out of position but I thought Carrick was worth a shout even though he would have been one of my first options for the penalty and as you said it wasn't the worst penalty you'll ever see. Despite that he is well out of form at the moment but I wouldn't write off him getting picked for the Arsenal game and playing a blinder. Park would have been a better shout, his first touch against Burnley and lack of strength on the ball was simply unacceptable for a United player. These players will come good again though.

Great to hear Beckham getting a shout and especially the goal against Spurs in the 5-3, the Manc sums it up perfectly for me 'his footballing credentials are plain to see'. I'll just add I've never seen a better striker of a dead ball. You could go on forever as to whether we sold him at the right time or maybe a season or 2 too early but for all his brilliance there was a marked dip in form before we sold him as with Van Nistlerooy.

And finally the look-ahead to the weekend, John O'Shea would be my shout to come in for the Arsenal game but as mentioned we do have options in that position.

Keep up the good work fellas, it seems already like a natural progression for the forum to have a podcast but it's great we have 2 podcasts a week to look forward to.
  3. Aug 26, 2009

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Good stuff, lads.

Listened to this on my way into work this morning. I've decided that I basically agree with everything that Danny says and disagree with almost everything that Dov says. Always good to hear a range of opinions though!

By the way, if/when you're doing youth/reserve features it might be worth dropping PS18 a PM or checking out his "United Youth" websiste. What he doesn't know about our reserves/academy isn't worth knowing.
  4. Aug 26, 2009

F-Red Full Member

Good episode, enjoyed it!
  5. Aug 26, 2009

Mr. MUJAC Talent spotter

:lol:

Me too!

Disagreed completely with the Fletcher argument from Dov but that's what having an opinion is al about and at least it challenges your own thinking.

Thought the Reserves piece could have been more comprehensive. We played Bolton in our opening reserve fixture and the teams and half time scores were posted on the site before you started your podcast. A little checking in advance may have given more info for you to use.

Similarly, with the 18's, although it is easy to make mistakes (Keane set up Tunnicliffe and not Morrison), posters on the site referenced this on Saturday.

The overview of Tunnicliffe was quite good referring to his appearances last season and the fact he played right back at times.

He joined the Academy as a nine year old and has captained England U/16's and U/17's.

Keep up the good work......the format is fine.
  6. Aug 26, 2009

God thing you posted, Mr M.

I mentioned PS18 already but another one of our foremost experts on everything to do with our reserves/academy has just posted in this very thread ;)
  7. Aug 26, 2009

Boss Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker

I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
    Great podcast, interesting views on Fletcher and Carrick, I agree Fletcher is not near the level of Mascherano and Essien especially with the reading of the game or breaking up play but he still does a good job for us.
  8. Aug 26, 2009

The Physio Full Member

Mr. MUJAC knows more about Manchester United players than anybody else.
  9. Aug 26, 2009

irishmanc Banned

Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no rem
    Great stuff lads.

Strongly disagree with Dov about the Fletcher issue. Think he's been outstanding at the the tail end of last season and the start of this season.

Very enjoyable though.
  10. Aug 26, 2009

schiavone1 Full Member

Someone needs to get on my side regarding Fletch.

I just dont think he is a first team player, granted he has been good, but if he is the best we have in the middle... Sunderland probably have a better centre midfield than us.

Glad you 'Cafites' are enjoying it

Dov
  11. Aug 26, 2009

You see, Dov, it's that kind of comment which makes so many people disagree with you!
  12. Aug 26, 2009

Boss Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker

I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
    I doubt anybody would be getting on your side any time soon!
  13. Aug 26, 2009

cesc's_mullet Get a haircut Hippy!

Excellent work guys, even as a non-United supporter I love it.

Though I have to disagree with whoever it was that said Ajax fans were happy at losing Vermaelen. Some of them may have been nonplussed, but certainly not all of them like you've alluded too. For a start Jol was furious that Vermaelen was leaving, and that he couldn't do anything about it...

On a side note, where abouts are you guys from? Just so I can pin your accents.
  14. Aug 26, 2009

kouroux Full Member

Fantastic, I love the different accents :lol:
  15. Aug 26, 2009

Devil_forever You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever

Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
    :eek:I always knew you were a closet united fan Cesc, no wonder you're always around this place.
  16. Aug 26, 2009

kouroux Full Member

Dov is so harsh on Fletcher, amazingly harsh
  17. Aug 26, 2009

cesc's_mullet Get a haircut Hippy!

SHIT, my cover's blown!
  18. Aug 26, 2009

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

The nonsense you came out with on the podcast regarding Fletcher was bad enough but that statement there is just bloody stupid.

I've seen people demoted for less!
  19. Aug 26, 2009

charleysurf Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

Just need one if these guys to phone in over skype to contribute, or even just record a sound file that can be merged in. The reserves and youth coverage is the only weak area in the podcast.

Also, iTunes link for it?
  20. Aug 26, 2009

schiavone1 Full Member

It was only an example, but gets my point across
  21. Aug 26, 2009

Steve Full Member

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Glad most of you are enjoying the show. Obviously we still want to keep improving it though so keep the suggestions coming.

I'm from Newbury (Berkshire) myself, Dan is from Bolton and Dov is from...somewhere in Scotland!
  22. Aug 26, 2009

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    The Fletcher argument that he isn't good enough was laughable.
  23. Aug 26, 2009

schiavone1 Full Member

somewhere!!!!
  24. Aug 26, 2009

Steve Full Member

Do enlighten us!
  25. Aug 26, 2009

Logan! Banned

Is it just me or does the one guy sound exactly like Mick McCarthy?

I thought it was good this week. I didn't really agree with the verdict on Mascherano .His job is to sit in front of the defence and break up play and he's one of the best in the world at doing that. He's a much better player than Fletcher.

I also didn't agree with Berbatov being classed as arguably the best in the world when on form. He's fantastic when on form, but I'd still take an in form Eto'o or Torres ahead of him. It was an enjoyable listen though. It's the first one I've listened to and I'll be tuning into the next one for sure.
  26. Aug 27, 2009

Danny Full Member

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions for the pod! Dov was being a bit daft about Fletcher but he is entitled to his opinion- albeit a wrong one ;)

Logan- I hope you aint saying I sound like Mick McCarthy!!

On Mascherano...I just feel that he has limited technical ability. Obviously he is a great 'destroyer' but I prefer to have a player in the midfield who can play a ball forward rather than backwards or sideways.