Refs mistakes- can't wait VAR

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Andycoleno9, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Dec 31, 2017

Andycoleno9 Full Member

I read lot of comments( not just here) that united must beat weaker teams regardless of refs mistakes and i think that is not how things should stand. It is illogical to say that you don't deserve penalty because you play bad. The fact that our team don't play good can't hide the fact that refs this year is stealing points from us and lots of those threads about how bad we are, how bad mourinho is, etc.. would not be there if refs did their fecking job. For which they are paid a lot. I know that every decision , every goal, every card changes a game and all this is hypothetical but just to remind you all:

Huddersfield- clear penalty in first half on 0.2 result. Ended 2.1. That is a point maybe.
    Leicester- clear penalty at 2.1. To kill a game. 2 points
    City- 50-50 penalty. Silvas tackle with studs up( like pogbas against arsenal). Point
    Burnley- clear second yellow for burnley player. Maybe two points.

Good examples how one call can change a game is city - liverpool or city arsenal. Even game then 50-50 red card for mane. City destroyed them. City- arsenal even game then soft penalty plus offside goal.
    My whole point is that lead in game and winning a game has huge psychological moment, not only in that match.
    I know that i sound bitter here but we are really unlucky with refs this year.
  2. Dec 31, 2017

IBleedRed likes to use pantyhose

That interview where Clattenburg said he was deciding calls based on what he though the narrative should be was frightening. Imagine if some of the other refs are doing this, even on a subconscious level. We need video tech ASAP.
  3. Dec 31, 2017

deafepl Full Member

I think they hinted that VAR will bring it to England next season

Next season should be more interesting, especially with VAR making it more competitive for top 6 sides. City are very lucky if they went unbeaten this season before VAR coming in
  4. Dec 31, 2017

cj_sparky Full Member

VAR in the Brighton -v- Crystal Palace Fa Cup game next weekend.
  5. Dec 31, 2017

Paz Banned (2002-2018)

:lol: give it a rest with the refs pls, getting so cringe.
    We get some, we lose some.....like all other teams.
  6. Dec 31, 2017

Bobski Full Member

I think it is more likely that VAR benefits the big clubs. Spend more time on attack, more penalty claims, close off-sides. Better teams are more capable of overcoming a bad call than the mediocre ones.
  7. Dec 31, 2017

Andycoleno9 Full Member

Well normally it should work like that but this year is not. I told you where we lost points this year. Feel free to say where ref gave us points
  8. Dec 31, 2017

Paz Banned (2002-2018)

Mate, same thoughts re: refs every single season.
  9. Dec 31, 2017

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Exactly this. Teams always talk about decisions that go against them not for them, take it and suck it up.
  10. Dec 31, 2017

Giggs86 Full Member

What exactly is VAR?
  11. Dec 31, 2017

XH6 Banned

Obviously United would be doing better if you only change the decisions that went against us. Tbh, virtually all of the ref conspiracy theories that you hear these days are BS. Rival fans talked about United always getting decisions under Fergie/Webb when you could probably come up with just as many decisions that went against us.

Same thing with other clubs like Madrid/Barca. People always point to a few big decisions and call them "Uefadrid" or "Uefalona" when you could find just as many big calls that went the other way.

As for calls in United's favor this season: off the top of my head, I can think of

Arsenal game: Two arsenal penalties (Lacazette and Welbeck) turned down.

Southampton: Penalty and Red Card for Ashley Young

Brighton (I think): Lukaku kickout as our goal went in

City Game: Penalty for Herrera foul on Otamendi
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  12. Dec 31, 2017

Paz Banned (2002-2018)

13. Dec 31, 2017

deafepl Full Member

Depend on. City player cannot dive anymore and no offside goals which are awesome. Amusing VAR has taken this season, maybe all of top 6 sides would be gotten more points. Utd would have gotten 2 points from Leicester city, 2 points from Burnley, 1 points from Huddersfield, 1 points from City and 2 points from Southampton = Utd would have gained 52 points this season so far and City would expect to drop 2 points against us = 56 points with one game more. At some point, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool would have gotten points if VAR corrected mistakes decisions. As it stated above, it's going to make it nice for top 6 sides battle as it will benefit them more.
  14. Dec 31, 2017

Paz Banned (2002-2018)

You guys sure you know how VAR actually works? Seems you think it's an appeal based system in-game which you prove using video? It's not that!
  15. Dec 31, 2017

Andycoleno9 Full Member

I know how it works very well. If ref questions his decision, stops play, watch it again and again and again and if he is 100% sure, he makes a new call or stands on previous call.
  16. Dec 31, 2017

Posh Red New Member

Have you ever considered what a video of decisions that went our way might look like? Watch Smalling in the box sometime
  17. Dec 31, 2017

Paz Banned (2002-2018)

18. Dec 31, 2017

Distracted Steward Full Member

Do not want. It's been terrible in American sports.
  19. Dec 31, 2017

Andycoleno9 Full Member

I was clear in my op. Every crucial decision changes a game. If we had penalty we would( if penalty was scored) have a lead and players would not be nervous . As you know when you score early at home against weaker team, that ends often with 3,4 goals more.
    Of course, maybe we would missed that penalty and then yes, it would be maybe red and penalty. That is why i said- hypothetically.
  20. Dec 31, 2017

Paz Banned (2002-2018)

Move on mate, always blaming the ref is so so tedious. It's not as if we've out played teams time and time again and have genuinely been unlucky with decisions. We've been utterly shite, had decisions against us, but also decisions for us. Clutching straws.
    Let's focus on what we are in control of...
  21. Dec 31, 2017

Andycoleno9 Full Member

Exactly because of comments like that i started this thread. We were bad. So what? We can talk about that on ten other threads. We were robbed for two points today. And it is not clutching straws. I didn't started this till this happened fourth time now.
    But ok then. Your logic is better. You must deserve correct refs decisions. It makes sense.
  22. Dec 31, 2017

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Eh?
  23. Dec 31, 2017

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

I'm too depressed with our recent games that I don't even have the energy to debate refereeing decisions. Not getting a penalty isn't the reason we didn't win yesterday. We didn't win because we weren't good enough.
  24. Dec 31, 2017

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

No need to imagine it tbh, they all do it but they wil never admit it while they're officiating.
  25. Dec 31, 2017

eat_grass Full Member

I watch about a dozen highlights from other Leagues every week, and there's almost always one big VAR decision that changes the outcomes of games: goals disallowed because of a foul the ref and linesmen missed, penalties rescinded, you name it. If it works in Italy why not England?

Anyway, I think the era of United getting favorable ref treatment at home -- as most other teams get -- is long gone, and the trend has been to not give decisions in United's favor on borderline calls. What Mourinho has labeled "bad luck." The refs simply don't like him and they take it out on the team.
  26. Dec 31, 2017

Jaqen H'ghar I can't drive...55

Irrespective of how it benefits us, VAR is long overdue. Refs are human, make mistakes, and if anything can help them do their job better, then it's welcome. I don't understand how anyone could be against something that makes the game fairer.

Regarding the argument that it slows down the game, well it's a trade off; a little slower but a lot more fair and accurate calls. Less goals from offside, less goals wrongly disallowed for offside, less diving, less shirt tugging and snide fouls to rile opponents. Less cheating in general. I think it's a no brainer.

An interesting point is how it will affect the dynamic of the game. VAR will tip the game in favour of attacking play, which would make things more interesting. Think we'll see >1 goal per game than we're seeing now.
  27. Dec 31, 2017

Distracted Steward Full Member

It’s slowed down the games, breaks down momentum and makes for tedious arguments. Watch an American football game and you’ll see exactly what I mean. It’s nowhere near as smooth here as it is with rugby.
  28. Threadmark: Chelsea vs Norwich (FA Cup)
    Jan 17, 2018

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    Well it was shite tonight
  29. Jan 17, 2018

AlwaysRed66 Full Member

Why, because it wasn't used to prove Willan is a diving cheat.
  30. Jan 17, 2018

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    It was a pen and even worse they used it for a fecking corner ffs
  31. Jan 17, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    This is it in a nutshell, I actually thought it was a pen too, so did the entire BBC panel. We're all entitled to our opinion but I'm pretty sure if it was Martial most United fans would hope for a pen there.
  32. Jan 17, 2018

arthurka Full Member

Not so sure, Willian did leave his foot there and waited for the contact.. 50-50 for me and the refs who watched it again and again did see that to..
  33. Jan 17, 2018

Sigma Full Member Scouse Lover

Agreed. Thought it was a definite pen too.
  34. Jan 17, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Is "playing" for a pen not allowed?
  35. Jan 17, 2018

Fergies Gum Full Member

Its clear that even with VAR, we'll still get plenty of bad decisions like the one we saw tonight.
  36. Jan 17, 2018

Sigma Full Member Scouse Lover

Hopefully the number of them will be less though.
  37. Jan 17, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    why did the ref tonight ignore the VAR?
  38. Jan 17, 2018

m1tch Full Member

They're trying too much with VAR. Should of kept it much more simple in my opinion.

Only review goals scored. Checking whether the finish was from offside/onside position, and whether it was scored legally (handball or not, double hit from the penalty spot, etc).

That way there's no enforced additional break in the game, so it's impact on the flow would be minimal. VAR is seen as a way of dealing with the likes of Mike Dean giving unexplainable penalties though, when the actual solution is just getting rid of the likes of Mike Dean.
  39. Jan 17, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I thought VAR had upheld the "no pen" descision from the ref?
  40. Jan 17, 2018

macheda14 Full Member

Maybe that becomes a consequence of VAR. Players can no longer ‘play for a pen’?