Relegation Battle 2017/2018

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Sigma, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Jan 22, 2018

Sigma Full Member Scouse Lover

[​IMG]
    As it stands its very close with 10 teams separated by 6 points. Who do we think will go down?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Jan 22, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

West Ham, Stoke and Newcastle please.

It’ll be Swansea, West Brom and Brighton though I reckon.
  3. Jan 22, 2018

Nickosaur Full Member

Supports:
    United/Brighton & Hove
    Brighton will be one of them unfortunately :(
  4. Jan 22, 2018

Raw Full Member

Swansea and Brighton, plus one of West Brom or Stoke. Some pretty awful teams there, hate that we've dropped 7 points to those teams.
  5. Jan 27, 2018

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    1. People
    2. Seriously
    3. Need
    4. To
    5. Stop
    6. Trying
    7. To
    8. Predict
    9. The
    10. Premier
    11. League
    12. End
    13. Of
    14. Season
    15. Table
    16. Just
    17. Let
    18. It
    19. Happen
    20. West Ham
  6. Jan 27, 2018

tenpoless Full Member

1. People
    2. Seriously
    3. Need
    4. To
    5. Stop
    6. Trying
    7. Tottenham
    8. Predict
    9. The
    10. Premier
    11. League
    12. End
    13. Of
    14. Season
    15. Table
    16. Just
    17. Let
    18. It
    19. Happen
    20. West Ham
  7. Jan 27, 2018

ericking New Member

I think it is too tight to call now. Not one team is definitely down or definitely safe out of that lot.
  8. Jan 27, 2018

Pagh Wraith Full Member

Huddersfield are still no more than an average Championship side and should be going down based on quality. Bournemouth and Brighton would be my other two tips. West Brom and particularly Southampton are much, much better sides than the table suggest and have been really unlucky. Would be shocked to see them anywhere near the relegation zone come May.
  9. Jan 27, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

:lol: Bravo
  10. Jan 27, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Bournemouth aren't that bad?

Just took 4 points off Arsenal and West Ham and they pick up enough points around them, won away to Stoke and Newcastle and also beat Huddersfield 4-0 at home. I'd be amazed if they went down.

Think the season is catching up with Brighton now, they can't score again. Think Huddersfield will just survive. The others could be a toss of a coin. Had Swansea down but they seem to have morphed into the new Wigan with miraculous recoveries.
  11. Jan 30, 2018

Bastian Full Member

I don't remember there being so many teams all in a relegation scrap. It's more than half the league and we're almost two thirds into the season. Everton are 9th, 5 points above the relegation zone, 8 points from the bottom team. Mad.
  12. Jan 30, 2018

711 Full Member Scout

:)
  13. Jan 30, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

At the moment I'll go Brighton, Huddersfield and Stoke
  14. Jan 30, 2018

Irish Jet Full Member

Supports:
    Anyone but Rashford
    Huddersfield are done IMO. They tailed off last season as well and it seems a similar trend is happening again. Klopp Jr. runs them into the ground in pre-season apparently and it shows early, they pay for it late. Their form is atrocious.

I think the current bottom three will all survive. There's signs of life from all of them and their squads are better than at least three other teams.

Watford are the ones I want to go down because their model is trash and I'm sick of it working for them, lol. I think the three promoted clubs are all going back down though. Weakest squads, worst form and unlikely to change managers.
  15. Jan 30, 2018

JustFootballFan Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I wonder whether VVD had a release clause in case of relegation in his contract and Liverpool could have saved 60-70M. :nervous: But why dwell on the past, so discount shopping at Hampton in the summer. :devil:
  16. Jan 30, 2018

RU Devil Full Member

Swansea gets out of the bottom with the win .

Everyone from Everton on down are fighting for survival. Based on current momentum, Huddersfield & Brighton have to really worry, especially since they aren't scoring. Figure Stoke and Soton are fighting it out to see who goes down.
  17. Feb 3, 2018

Mike Schatner Devil's advocnut

Still crazy outside the top ten. Literally ten teams in a relegation battle right now with only three points separating 11th and 19th.
  18. Feb 3, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Pretty certain Huddersfield will finish bottom.
  19. Feb 3, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Shows how shite the league outside of the top 6 has been this season. Shocking lack of quality.
  20. Feb 3, 2018

Santos J Full Member

Huddersfield, West Brom & Newcastle I reckon.
  21. Feb 3, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Yes Huddersfield have really hit the wall and lost that spark they had in the first half of the season. Still got some winnable home games against teams around them.

It's odd with West Brom, made some decent signings and were on a decent unbeaten run but they lost two, everyone else around them picks up points and suddenly they're a way adrift again.

Said most of this season Stoke will go down.

Obviously not a Lambert fan but they gave Hughes too much time.

Stoke still have to play Man. City and Spurs at home and Leicester, Arsenal and Liverpool away (although lambert has an amazing record at Anfield). Don't see enough winnable games for them in the run in so they might have to win a couple of those.
  22. Feb 3, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    BTW for those wanting Moyes to suffer West Ham are not out of this by a long way.

They've still got these fixtures to play in the run in:

Man. United (H)
    Man. City (H)
    Liverpool (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    Arsenal (A)
    Leicester (A)

That's half of their remaining games left.

Not sure how long Lanzini and Arnautovic are out for though as they were both playing great.
  23. Feb 3, 2018

JustAFan The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers

An evil little city in the NE United States
    Everton going to find themselves in this battle aren't they?
  24. Feb 3, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    31 points so they can draw their way to safety and nick the odd win.

They're a bit like Watford last season. Everytime I see them I wonder how they've got so many points on the board. Terrible start to the season, Unsworth didn't improve things much and they've won once in last 10.

That good first five games under Big Sam has saved them, think they collected 12 points from that.
  25. Mar 10, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    West Brom are gone.

Southampton and West Ham looking in trouble though.
  26. Mar 10, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

West Brom aside, you can toss a coin for the last couple of places.

Some awful, awful teams in this league. And what's worse, they've got more money to spend that some of Europe's most notable clubs.
  27. Mar 10, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Fingers crossed West Ham go down, their fans deserve nothing less
  28. Mar 10, 2018

RoyH1 Full Member

They deserve it big time. Disgraceful behaviour.
  29. Mar 10, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Think other two will be Stoke and Southampton.

Stoke still have to play Man. City (H), Arsenal (A), Spurs (H) and Liverpool (A) in the run in.

Southampton have got even worse run in, loads of away games and also got Chelsea at home and Man. City at home on the final day.

Would love it to be West Ham though.
  30. Mar 10, 2018

Brophs The one and only

On Southampton, I think I mentioned it in a thread the other week, but I was a fan I'd be really worried. They just seem to be drifting towards relegation without fully appreciating how much trouble they're in. They have quite a few good players there, so they've every chance of getting a few results and sneaking out of it, but I'm not sure that's going to actually happen for them. From the outside, it looks like the club have made a mistake persevering with a poor manager.
  31. Mar 10, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I just don't understand why they sacked Claude Puel.

8th in the league and a cup final they could've easily won with better ref. They couldn't realistically have a better season than that.

Pellegrino did well at Alaves but he's a defensive manager so the football hasn't even been much of an upgrade with worse results.

They should be doing better with the squad though. Need Charlie Austin fit and maybe he'll score some crucial goals in the run in. Wesley Hoedt at the back hasn't been as good as I thought he'd be.
  32. Mar 11, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    :lol:
  33. Mar 12, 2018

FootyGirl88

West Brom look done, i think the other two teams will be Stoke and probably West Ham.

Zaha is back for CP so they should be ok, they really need to cut out the stupid individual errors they keep making i.e Kelly for Chelsea's 2nd goal at the weekend.
  34. Mar 12, 2018

Minkaro Full Member

I did a predictor thing (http://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-premier-league/) and when I got to 37 games played, I hit calculate to see what the table looked like going into the last day.

I had 3 points between 13th and 19th place!

13. Brighton - 36 (-22 GD)
    14. West Ham - 36 (-28 GD)
    15. Huddersfield 35 (-33 GD)
    16. Crystal Palace 34 (-24 GD)
    17. Stoke 34 (-33 GD)
    18. Southampton 33 (-19 GD)
    19. Swansea 33 (-28 GD)

God I want this to happen. That relegation battle. I'm not great at predicting the upsets (although I think I did give Bournemouth a win against us), but if the real thing is anything as tight as that going into the last day, it'll be amazing.

And after doing the final day, I've got Stoke, Swansea and WBA going down. Stoke and Swansea drawing on the last day ala QPR and Reading that one season where both of them just seemed to go "sod it, let's go down together"
  35. Mar 12, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Please explain that Swansea prediction to me. :lol:

So a team that has won their last five home games (including v Liverpool and Arsenal), has just got a point away despite playing ten men for 80 minutes is going to get just two points from their last 8 games.

They have Everton at home, that is a banker three points for a start given how abysmal Everton are in away games.

Stoke on the last day at home, if they need a draw to stop up they'll get it.

There's 4 more points right there.
  36. Mar 12, 2018

Minkaro Full Member

Apparently I'm just very racist against the Welsh?

I dunno, it wasn't an intentional thing. There's probably a few games (not just involving them) that I've called quite harshly.
  37. Mar 12, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    It just stuck out like a sore thumb to me given their brilliant recent run. Generally teams with momentum down there don't then suddenly stop winning.

Anyway your other points tallies like Southampton and Stoke on 33-34 points look more accurate to me although I do think it may be a point or two higher e.g. third relegated team going down on 36 points.

Said for weeks Stoke will join WBA. Still no idea on the third although Southampton's run in looks brutal so would possibly lean to them although they'll probably go and beat West Ham in a few weeks and blow things open.
  38. Mar 12, 2018

Oyibo New Member

Baggies, Naughty 40 (Stoke) and loser of West Ham v Southampton
  39. Mar 19, 2018

Rajma Full Member

WBA is going down, and I would love nothing more than Stoke and WHU relegated too, that would be awesome.
  40. Mar 19, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

West Brom are preparing for relegation in the right way, a lot of their big earners in their 30s have their contracts expiring and they'd all be players they didn't really want to keep anyway. The exceptions being Foster, whose contract doesn't run out for a few years yet and Evans of course who has a 4m release clause I believe. Unlikely they'll "do a Sunderland", think they'll be back up in a few seasons.

Stoke going down would be nice , I can't understand how a team with that sort of quality has allowed themselves to slip so far. Not having to go to Stoke away for a few years would be good though as that ground has been a right pain for us, think they'll see themselves losing Shaqiri, he's been usually their best player whenever I've seen them play.

I don't really think Southampton should be going down, might have sold one player too many which is a shame but hopefully that's a lesson to stop selling all their best players to the Scousers. Ideally I'd like West Ham to go down, they've got the quality to come straight back up but they're such a detestable team, they'd probably lose Lanzini too who I think is actually a really good little player.

Swansea seem to have hit form at the right time, I quite like their manager so I hope they stay up. I think Stoke and WBA are certain to go down, after that I really think it's going to be Southmapton to be honest. Very tight at the bottom though, some of the bottom half games may be worth keeping an eye on as the season comes to an end.