Restoring the Giggs legacy

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by SER19, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Aug 29, 2017

SER19 Full Member

Ryan giggs was my favourite player growing up. What he achieved at united will never be equalled anywhere in terms of success and appearances.

In recent years despite what was a near god like reputation I feel he can't be mentioned without his appalling private life being mentioned. I know lots of people are better at separating the two and possibly correctly feel that a players personal life should have no bearing on their reputation as a player.

It didn't help that that scandal broke at the time of a heart breaking champions league final defeat and in recent years he has been scape goated for whatever role he had in moyes and van gaals poor tenures, at times a vitriolic attitude from fans often based on gut feelings and speculation about things we have no idea about from behind the scenes.

Having some time off recently I've been able to watch some old United games. What a player he was, firstly as a fantastic winger and secondly and possibly more impressively in later years through the middle. He was fantastic there, and watching now without emotions you can really appreciate the influence he had there. So calming, and still so able to cut a defence apart.

He has so many huge moments at united, the obvious goal in the semi final versus Arsenal. In the same historic treble winning season he scored a late equaliser in another semi final versus juventus that made that great night in Turin possible.

He was a phenomenon, and I think we could do well to remember him for his contribution the club rather than anything else.

I'd like this thread to be used for some great giggs memories, gifs, videos and what he meant to you as a fan over two decades at the club.
  2. Aug 29, 2017

el3mel Full Member

I have never really cared much about the off pitch problems and they should always be put aside when talking about players. Giggs and SAF were always considered the icon of the club in the modern era for me. We had many other great players but Giggs always had a special place there. Fantastic how he kept his form and changed his style and position as he advanced in age to keep performing. Winning PFA player of the year while you're at your nearly 35 sums him up.

Now for the videos.

3. Aug 29, 2017

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

The first thing that comes to mind about Giggs is how he repeatedly humiliated Juventus. La Vecchia Signora might not have had the star studded team the previous AC Milan had. However back then they had a strong core of hardworking and talented football generals on the pitch, people like Deschamps, Conte and Zidane. Beating that defence was tough, yet Giggs would do it with ease even when double marked (Lippi would play 'the little soldier' Di Livio on the flank with Torricelli at his back)

In one particular occasion SAF claimed that Giggs won't play because he had high fever. It was a mind game as Giggs showed up and created havoc in the Juventus defence. At the end of the game Lippi was interviewed and in quite sarcastic way he said that he thanks god that Giggs was sick else he cant imagine what a fully fit Giggs would do. That's how ridiculously good Giggs was.
  4. Aug 29, 2017

Oscie Full Member

Never given more than a seconds thought about his personal life.
  5. Aug 29, 2017

AndyJ1985 Full Member

I don't really appreciate being told how I should feel about someone. It's arrogant of you to say we should separate his career from his personal life. He was a great player for us no doubt, but he's also a scum bag for how he treated his wife and brother. Maybe you can ignore such things but not all of us are willing to, nor should we be persecuted for it. It's Giggs who is in the wrong, not those of us who judge him for what he did.
  6. Aug 29, 2017

ROFLUTION Full Member

I remember when growing up I had a giant sized Giggs poster from 99 om my wall. One side was him running against scared Arsenal players in the semi, the other was a fully blown hairy half naked Giggs sitting with the Champions League trophy :lol:

He was one player that simply just stood out as truly special and he defied age. I remember a game against a midtable-side in a title winning season where he was still magic and the fans were all buzzing from his elegance, but it was with a twist of sadness knowing he might soon retire. There was this sort of feeling that you had witnessed one of the greats.
  7. Aug 29, 2017

SER19 Full Member

Really kind of angry and misguided reply. Feel how you want about him, will happily discuss his personal life in another thread with you, the aim of this one was to discuss the quality of the player without being detoured into this inevitable conversation. I qualified the thread by addressing that in the opening paragraph.

Also, persecuted :lol: come on.
  8. Aug 29, 2017

SER19 Full Member

I think one of his great underrated goals was the winner against juventus in a 3-2 win in was it 96/97? When we finally beat them. I think that game was a real statement that we were closer to being ready to compete at that level.
  9. Aug 29, 2017

MuranoLover Full Member

Who gives a feck who he fecks , true legend , what a player
  10. Aug 29, 2017

lem8sh Full Member

Never truly world class imho.
  11. Aug 29, 2017

Globule signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

His brother.
  12. Aug 29, 2017

RedFish Full Member

100% agree
  13. Aug 29, 2017

flappyjay Full Member

Love him, never stopped loving him and don't give a flying feck what some say about him. True club legend
  14. Aug 29, 2017

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

His brothers wife might be more accurate.
  15. Aug 29, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Bingo.

I have no respect for him as a human being.

Football is just a sport. He's still one of our best players though and it doesn't diminish his on pitch appearances.
  16. Aug 29, 2017

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

It's the soap opera mentality. Firstly he was a footballer and he was a great player. The rest isn't mine or other peoples concerns. If we butted out of other peoples business (albiet it's not people fault - it's the media that drive and give people the need to have an opinion). Let it be their concern. The only reason you folks know Giggs exist was because he played for United and was a great player. Otherwise he would be a no one to you. I don't think I want to form an opinion on him outside of football. I don't know him outside of football.
  17. Aug 29, 2017

Phil Jones 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    Was never world class. His longevity sets him apart. That and the fact that he has seemingly never shown any remorse for his behaviour in his private life and tried to use the legal system to block his name being mentioned when he was caught out makes him a tw*t
  18. Aug 29, 2017

Jaybomb Full Member

To be honest, I couldn't care less about what he did in his private life. Its not like I know any of the players personally anyway. It doesn't concern me. That's his business.

Would you hold George Best's sex life against him? What about Rooney with prostitutes? Nearly every famous person has done something shady whether it be drugs, alcohol sex, affairs, etc.

The man is one of our biggest Legends ever. And nothing will ever change that.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  19. Aug 29, 2017

RedFish Full Member

20. Aug 29, 2017

Jaybomb Full Member

Never world class? Have a day off. He's up there with all the best wingers of the 90s/early 2000s. I would put him in the same bracket as Nedved, Totti, Zanetti and others.

He would have got into any side.
  21. Aug 29, 2017

ROFLUTION Full Member

This. Neither has any of us lived a life in super-stardom. Its easy to sit in our armchairs saying we wouldnt bang miss Wales if we thought noone would get to know. It can spiral out of control for anyone - also the purists in here.

What we do know is that he was truly amazing - what an impact he already had at such an early age. The Roma game really stands out for me as to how easy it was for him to transition from the wing to the center.
  22. Aug 29, 2017

11101 Full Member

He was a brilliant player but never quite reached the very top level, his reputation being partly down to the length of time he played. That's nothing to do with his private life. He is a club legend on the field but I don't want him anywhere near it in retirement.
  23. Aug 29, 2017

Sparky10Legend New Member

Ditto.

Legend.
  24. Aug 29, 2017

Seriously? Inter offered him a blank cheque to sign him up + Lippi once said that United (pre class of 92) is all Cantona and Ryan Giggs. That's how ridiculously good Ryan Giggs was
  25. Aug 29, 2017

GBBQ Full Member

Guaranteed starter in one of the most dominant teams in England and has 2 champions league medals to his name. Mercurial talent in the 90s, dip in the 00s before a reinvention saw him extend his career to his 40s. He is world class. He might not have quite dazzled like Beckham or Ronaldinho but he was absolutely world class.
  26. Aug 29, 2017

I think we need to differentiate between Ryan Giggs the man, Ryan Giggs the coach/potential manager and Ryan Giggs the player.

The former was a love cheat which is not really surprising since most players are. He betrayed his own brother which is bad but that is it. Ryan Giggs the coach was solid but he seem to expect a better job mainly because he was Ryan Giggs. That was a mistake which ended up costing him dearly (he wasted too much time with us)

Ryan Giggs the player was pure perfection. He was an intelligent, extremely talented, professional and loyal player. Very few people can say that they had refused a blank cheque to play elsewhere. Ryan Giggs did that, at a time when United couldn't even match Fiorentina's salary. Such intelligence and commitment allowed him to reinvent himself as a CM + to remain a decent player even though he was at the wrong end of his 30s. If players need a role model to follow then Ryan Giggs (and Paul Scholes) would be the men.

Its amazing how people can criticise him so much considering that we've made a statue of some drunk and a wife beater who pissed his career off. A man who never shown any regret towards his unprofessional attitude on and off the pitch.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  27. Aug 29, 2017

acnumber9 Full Member

I'd love to see the thread when it was officially revealed what happened with his brothers sister. I don't remember the depth of feeling being so against him before the whole talk of him being manager seemed to sour many here against him.

Aside from that he was a great player. Having watched how we struggled to create chances after he retired I thought people would better recognise just how good he was. Apparently not.
  28. Aug 29, 2017

Thisistheone Full Member

Both Fergie and Scholes have repeatedly said he was the best player at Utd. Undoubtedly world class and one of the best true wingers I've seen.

He was a once in a lifetime player. 23 years and 13 league titles.
  29. Aug 29, 2017

Needham Full Member

Yeah but that was the seventies.
  30. Aug 29, 2017

I never thought that it was ok for people in the seventies to turn drunk to work and beat the hell out of their wives/gfs. You should ask your boss (if he's relatively old) or your female family members on that

Also Giggs unquestionable loyalty is something that is rare in modern players. Even the great Keane, Gerrard and Rooney wanted to leave their club at one point.
  31. Aug 29, 2017

Needham Full Member

Just asked them. They all shrugged and said, "Yeah but it was the seventies."
  32. Aug 29, 2017

Penna Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)

Giggs was a footballer, not a clergyman or politician. It's a shame when sporting idols are found to have feet of clay, but years ago, we didn't know much about anyone else's private life unless the newspapers got hold of a story. Nowadays, anyone in the public eye is followed around the world with camera phones and picked apart online.

I think we shouldn't judge anyone. It's very unfortunate that he tarnished his own personal reputation, but it doesn't impact on what he did as a player.
  33. Aug 29, 2017

You're an extremely courageous man. I wouldn't dare asking my mum that question.
  34. Aug 29, 2017

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

Top quality player the ultimate professional but I can't see him in the same way since his private life was made very public.

He's joey Barton level of scumbag-edness
  35. Aug 29, 2017

tweed New Member

I mean... who has never cheated on their wife right? At least it stayed in the family...
  36. Aug 29, 2017

Craig Ward Full Member

My favourite united player, ever.

Brilliant player. The term world class is branded about a lot these days, but Ryan Giggs was truly world class.
  37. Aug 29, 2017

berbatrick Full Member

IIRC the revelations happened about a week before the 2011 CL Final, while Giggs was our star CM in the quarters and semis. Any discussion of morality was offset by concern at his form/response.
  38. Aug 29, 2017

Green_Red Full Member

On a football pitch there aren't many that compare with him. He's up there with the very best of them.
  39. Aug 29, 2017

RC89 Full Member

This. We're quick to have a dig at Terry for his off field antics (the stadium tours?) but with Giggs however we should rise above that? I can't think a of a worse type of scum. United legend or not.
  40. Aug 29, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

To be fair the OP isn't saying Giggs' personal travails don't or shouldn't matter, he's just making a thread where we can put them to one side and celebrate what a great and important player he was for us. If you can't separate the highs of his playing career from the lows of his scumbag personal life fair enough, but why clog the thread with stuff the OP expressly said he'd rather not have here?

His longevity does him huge credit in of itself but I think if you look at what a great winger he was (one of the best in the world at the time, no question) and then what a fine central midfield player he became later in his career it's even more impressive. Those who criticised him in the real arse-end of his playing time seemed to forget the role he and an un-retired Scholes were being asked to do. That they managed to keep us ticking over and avoid an Arsenal-style scandal of regression while we were running on fumes in the transfer market is in my opinion a very underappreciated aspect of Fergie's later tenure. Giggs was key to that.