Rio Ferdinand

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Logan!, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Mar 5, 2012

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    I agree with the running bit. He's clearly still a very very good defender but when henruns it makes me cringe - you can see the back injuries toll on him.

Im notnsuggesting he should stop running mind you
  2. Mar 5, 2012

giggs-beckham Clueless

He looks like that character off the newer Star Wars films, that rasta thing.
  3. Mar 5, 2012

Commadus Banned

He seems to be falling over when he runs. Shame how his injuries have debilitated him. Positioning and reading of the game make it up.
  4. Mar 20, 2012

Kelvin Banned

5. Mar 20, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Too bad for them he's a proper family man that loves Nando's.
  6. Mar 20, 2012

ha_rooney Full Member

Rio would never go to China, he wouldn't be able to tweet.
  7. Mar 20, 2012

Colin129 Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Like the pic that goes with that story:

[​IMG]

Lamps: Yeh, loads of money!

Rio: What the feck?
  8. Mar 20, 2012

Anderson8 Full Member

:lol:
  9. Mar 20, 2012

Sean_RedDevil Twitter bot

:lol:
  10. Mar 20, 2012

kiristao Full Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  11. Mar 20, 2012

Donut Full Member

There's a pretty decent, yet generic interview with Rio on Skysports.
  12. Mar 20, 2012

prateik City Fan

With Vidic injured and VDS retired, we needed his leadership at the back. He hasnt been at his imperious best, but the fact that he has been available for large parts of the season has been vital.
    He isnt going anywhere.
  13. Mar 20, 2012

Drifter American

He's going nowhere.Hope the club gives him a role at the club coaching defenders when he decides to call it a day.
  14. Mar 20, 2012

dmode Full Member

Rio shall end his career at United.
  15. Mar 20, 2012

Antisocial Full Member

:lol::lol::lol:

I think he'll be with us until retirement, which probably isn't that far away.
  16. Mar 20, 2012

tintedsepia Full Member

Don't see him leaving. He'll like the idea of helping the younger players although accepting he'll play less games.
  17. Mar 20, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Phew
  18. Mar 22, 2012

Drifter American

19. Mar 22, 2012

Chabon Full Member

It's incontrovertible, I've half a dozen relatives who have been city fans their entire lives, but never mentioned football before the last couple of years. I'm sure plenty of others will have seen the same.
  20. Mar 26, 2012

#07 Full Member

21. Mar 26, 2012

prateik City Fan

Expected. Giggs/Scholes must've had it too.
    Who will pay a 35 year old 120k/week. He is great.. but that is just unrealistic.. especially with his injuries in recent seasons (Has been fine this year, thankfully)
  22. Mar 26, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

I hope he signs an extension and I think he will. Only teams that will match those wages are in China or the middle east, and they're probably more likely to throw money at big name strikers. He's got a young family too, can't see him moving them to Beijing for 2 years.
  23. Apr 3, 2012

Neutral BTV

Can't believe no one has bumped this, or a similar thread...his perfect tackle on Yakubu at the near post was incredible. Get that wrong, nailed on penalty, don't tackle, he has what looks like an easy finish.

Instead Rio is right there...and danger averted.
  24. Apr 3, 2012

Steven Seagull Full Member

Even made the last ditch tackle look like a simple task. He looked as fit as I've seen him all season last night, which was surprising after taking a knock last week. Brought the ball out from the back a few times and picked out some really good passes when Blackburn cleared to him. Still one of the best around, in complete control.
  25. Apr 3, 2012

LLMU Full Member

Having him leading the backline gave us so much stability. Great game from him
  26. Apr 3, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    The Rio-Evans partnership has been immense and Rio probably hasn't had enough credit for his role in it. Who knows how this season would have turned out if we had mid-week games and Fergie was tempted to give one or other of them the weekend off? Not good, would be my guess.
  27. Apr 3, 2012

Wittmann45 Full Member

What would have happened to our title challenge if Rio had the same recurring problems he faced in 09-10?
  28. Apr 3, 2012

Bebe Full Member

He looks so awkward when he runs. There was one point he fell over trying to cover Hoillett, it really makes me sad to see.

Still a class defender, but I worry a lot more when he's in one on one situations than I used to.
  29. Apr 3, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

It's great to see Evans get so much praise recently but for me Rio's been the more influential defender in the last 8 weeks or so.
  30. Apr 3, 2012

unitedbhoy Full Member

Why? For me, he hasn't worsened at all over the years. It's just the injuries that are the problem, not his ability. Everytime he has come into the team after a lay-off he retains his previous form immediately. Still top class and still the best centre half around.

He must have saved us from conceding 2 or 3 goals last night.
  31. Apr 3, 2012

ricky-romeo Full Member

^ i think what bebe meant is that rio is slower these days, which is true and understandable. he is still a top class defender though, his reading of the game certainly helps him a lot in adjusting his game now.
  32. Apr 3, 2012

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

Match saving tackle last night. He had no right to get that. He may have lost a yard or two pace but no one reads the game better.

Just hope he stays fit until the end of the season. Definitely has another season in him
  33. Apr 3, 2012

Sylar Full Member

IMO, Rio is the reason that Evans has had a stellar time recently. Great partnership as their styles mesh well together.

Hopefully Rio has a few years left with us and retires with us. Cant see why that cant happen unless he gets some major injuries.
  34. Apr 3, 2012

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

gif of the tackle? i simply cant remember what your talking about, although i must have seen it :lol:

He was great all night though. Him and jonny have a great partnership going.
  35. Apr 3, 2012

Amar__ Not so Full Member

This deserves to be here:

[​IMG]
  36. Apr 3, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    He is back to his absolute best. He made a game saving tackles Blackburn and commanded the rear so well.
  37. Apr 3, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Hasn't received as much praise as he's deserved recently to be honest. Evans has been excellent, but I wouldn't say that Ferdinand has been any worse than him. Plus, I think Rio's experience is a major reason for Evans now looking so comfortable at the back. It's helped him to be constantly playing alongside an experienced defender week in week out.
  38. Apr 3, 2012

RonaldoVII Full Member

E236:24:101 Betfair: UTFAKVVTJ PSN:FrozenInHell
    Yakubu wasn't even his man. Great awareness and acceleration to see the danger and get across to it. People writing him off were wide of the mark, he's still got it.
  39. Apr 3, 2012

championo Top Stalker

I had some doubts that it might have been a penalty, but look at this, Wow, this is defending out of this world.
    [​IMG]
    Just look at the color of the socks to help you appreciate what he did better.
  40. Apr 5, 2012

Drifter American

http://www.teamtalk.com/manchester-united/7651207/Vidic-Rio-doubters-proved-wrong

Nemanja Vidic has described claims earlier this season that Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand was finished as a top-flight force as "nonsense".

With a troublesome back problem restricting appearances for the previous three seasons, his England place taken away by Fabio Capello and a renewed threat at Manchester United following the arrival of Phil Jones, it was thought this season could be the 33-year-old Ferdinand's last at Old Trafford.

However, Vidic was confident those assessments would prove to be incorrect and a series of outstanding performances from Ferdinand - typified by his well timed tackle on Ayegbeni Yakubu that denied the Nigerian a certain goal at Blackburn on Monday - have done exactly that.

"At the beginning of the season there were a lot of people questioning Rio, asking whether he could do what he did in the past, can he play, is he finished?" Vidic said.

"This was nonsense. Rio has hunger and now he has proved people they are wrong.

"He is a very important player, not just this year but over the past years and he has done very well over the last few months."

Ferdinand is one of the foundations upon which United's latest Premier League title challenge has been built.

Yet it all seemed so unlikely when Vidic was carried off on a stretcher with ruptured cruciate ligaments against Basle in December as United crashed out of the Champions League.

Already trailing a rampant Manchester City in the league, with Wayne Rooney and David de Gea among the other more notable figures struggling for form, it was hard to see what positives would emerge from the wreckage of a devastating European exit.

Less than four months on, United are now five points clear of City, Rooney has 28 goals and De Gea has made a succession of vital saves that have ensured the Red Devils have taken maximum advantage of City's slump.

Vidic is still missing of course, but the Serbian is taking pride in his team-mate's achievements.

"I always believed we would challenge for the title," he said. "It doesn't matter who is out. Manchester United never depend on one player.

"If you look at the past, players have left and fans have said how are we going to cope? But the manager is the best at replacing players and the team still win titles and trophies.

"That is why Manchester United are so special."