1. World Cup 2018 Forum now open for business
    Dismiss Notice

Rio's words on Kane and Lukaku: A Real No. 9

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Red4Life_#7, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Feb 3, 2018

MrMourinho#7 New Member

This sums it up for me. I'm afraid Lukaku will be an expensive mistake for us. I wish we didn't sign him in the summer and play Martial as our CF if we couldn't get Kane and got a RW instead of him to play 4-3-3. There is no way you could play a fluid attacking 4-3-3 with a player whose first touch, technique, ball control are so poor and who is very cumbersome like Lukaku in your team. Now, we have him, Sanchez and Martial and got no one on the right to provide width or score goals as both Sanchez and Martial prefer to play on the left or as a CF. We bought ourselves a new conundrum and need to solve it as soon as possible imo.
  2. Feb 3, 2018

J_Red 11 Banned

That's lame excuse, "he could run" but he never done it in that game. We got players like Lingard who likes to make intelligence run in final third, if Lukaku knows how to find his own space to get away from defenders and stretch defenders, that'll give other player like Lingard to find the space for him to make the intelligence run. This is why Lukaku must be dropped against team with high press, we need our front three to be more mobile and fluid.
  3. Feb 3, 2018

Mozza It’s Carrick you know

If you Carrick isn't technically gifted you don't you know football.

That's all the support runners need though. Lukaku shouldn't be trying to thread delicate balls through the oppositions defence. You've fundementaly misunderstood his role of you think that's his job. He needs to hold the ball up, give it to the creative types, then get himself in the box for the cross, pass or cut back
  4. Feb 3, 2018

Ashley R1+O New Member

I don't like it when papers quote pundits and don't provide the context.

We all want Lukaku to be getting the kind of service that Kane did, he worked his bollocks off and the contrast was definitely there but this article makes it seem as though he's belittling Lukaku because of the way Kane performed. I don't think that is correct, I'd love to see Lukaku get that kind of service and he's shown that he can be a much more effective player when he does.

edit: I've just seen some of the comments in here, woof... 'Get rid'? Get a grip more like. He's been here 5 months and Spurs have been working on this team with these players for a good four-five years.
  5. Feb 3, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

A gloried Emile Heskey? Should have gone for Costa or Vardy? Well, I'm off.
  6. Feb 3, 2018

J_Red 11 Banned

Who said Carrick isn't technically gifted? Don't twist my word!

I'm talking about technically flair who has skills like Iniesta, Xavi, Pogba. Carrick isn't a flair player with those great footwork. If you think he has flair as good as those players then you don't know football mate.

Seriously, the lacks of runner is a lame excuse! Players like Lingard is a good runner, likes to make intelligence run. He can't make the run if Lukaku isn't stretching the defense with his poor movement and inability to find space.
  7. Feb 3, 2018

He is absolutely a flair player. His passing is up there with any of them

Lingard is a good runner. Great stuff, one players who's natural movement might take him near the striker once in a while. That's not good enough. You can't name a second player because there isn't one.
  8. Feb 3, 2018

J_Red 11 Banned

Twisting my word again aren't you or you are doing it on purpose? I was talking about "footwork" to handle high press, which what he & Lukaku don't have

Are you telling me Alexis doesn't know how to make good movement? Why do you think Lingard unable to make his usual run? I seriously can't imagine Lukaku plays in Klopp fluid three system due to his lack mobility despite of having pace but not smart with his movement, but I can see Lingard & Sanchez played in Klopp fluid three system.
  9. Feb 3, 2018

Camilo Full Member

Firstly, I think Kane is a better footballer. He uses his body better, he's got a better touch, his movement is well considered and efficient.... He's just better.

Having said that, our team going forward is an absolute shambles, and it's not just down to the players. The midfield/attack options we have are as good as any other in the league. Lukaku might not be a world class striker, but I don't think you'd find many players able to perform in our current setup.

We have Pogba being totally ineffective in a weird, ill-defined midfield "floating" role, we have Matic out on his feet trying to do the work of two, we have a front 4 which wait an age to get the ball back after they lose it because Matic is only one man and can't be everywhere to recycle, and because of this lack of midfield control our defence can't squeeze up because they know the opposition will be easily breaking away from Matic every time the attack messes up. Lukaku might not be overly impressive, but there isn't anyone impressing in my eyes right now. We're a top heavy team, and Jose needs to address it. Herrera in for Lingard, get us some control. And give the poor guy a run of games ffs.
  10. Feb 3, 2018

Alexis stuck rigidly to the left wing until he received the ball then he'd move inside with it. He was never in a position to take a lay off, nor was Martial.

I don't care if he couldn't play in Klopps fluid 3 because that would be an equal waste of his talent.

Lukaku is a target man, stronger and quicker than any center back in the league, we have to take advantage of it
  11. Feb 3, 2018

J_Red 11 Banned

I just don't fancy target man. The same thing with 2007/2008 & 2008/2009, I prefer us to play fluid front 3 Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo rather than with target man like Berbatov.

I don't mind playing out-and-out striker but despite of great pace he lacks mobility to make intelligent run like Cole, RVP, RVN, Chciharito and etc. And he lacks of technical skills like Berbatov, RVP, Zlatan and etc. Striker who lacks a lot of stuff but just a striker with pure physical attributes isn't worth of 75m-90m at all. It's like we are paying 75m-90m for the pace version of Heskey or Carroll.

It's sad that we need to spend more more money just to get the best out of him or take of advantage his "strength and pace".
  12. Feb 3, 2018

The Alchemist Banned

Go and watch clips of Heskey when he played for Leicester City and when he first joined Liverpool before you dimiss the comparisons . He wasn't always a bad player who was considered a joke. He had speed and decent finishing ability before he was made to serve and provide for the golden child that was Michael Owen.

He couldn't stop scoring at one point. His style of play was very similar to Lukaku's when he was in his prime except he actually could make use of his strength.

As for Vardy, you must not understand what a stop gap signing means. Him or Costa would have had the same amount of goals as Lukaku if either one were here. The latter being a far superior player while Vardy's speed and movement would give most defenders something to think about instead of being a stationary lumbering big oaf who jumps into their pockets to make it an easy nights work for them.
  13. Feb 3, 2018

The Alchemist Banned

No need to be facetious. We have invested big money and big wages on this guy and we are having to convince ourselves that he was worth the outlay on the basis that other players are responsible for making play well.

The support a 36 year old Ibrahimovic had last season was no better than the support Lukaku has had this season yet the difference in their influence and ability to make something happen out of nothing couldn't be more different.

We didn't pay 75 million to have a player coast and clap through games while doing head flicks into no mans land and depend on players to hold their hand to ensure they play well ans spoon feed everything on to a plate.

We were under the impression we were getting a man who was capable of bulldozing through defences on his own and a goal scoring machine.

The excuses made so far have been laughable. Some are now saying he's a prospect as if he was stolen from Southampton's youth academy for being some 16 years old prodigy who will suddenly grow into a beast through the oncoming years. He's 25 this May and youd think he was a baby the way some cry and say how unfair it is to compare him to Harry Kane even when they're the same bloody age.

Others are saying our attack is disjointed , missing the obvious fact that Lukaku is apart of that same attack and so is partly responsible why it is that way. Then there is the idea that Mourinho is misusing him as if he is playing him as defensive midfielder. Failing to realise we have changed systems and tactics in order to cater and shoehorn into the team.

Denial is not just a river in the Egypt. I get it.. I really do. He is our player and we're desperate to believe he is/will be a success. I still hope he makes me look like a fool and starts to become the total package we all hoped he would be but if we are honest, had Liverpool or Arsenal shelled out 90 million on him and he was doing his disappearing act and generally being a liability in the big games we'd all be laughing with our bellies how they wasted so much money on a donkey.

The same thing happened with Benteke who was the joke of the town because of his price tag and underwhelming displays thereafter. And they paid far less.

But now Lukaku is our player we must contort our senses and use our microscopic lens to detect when he has successfully found a teammate who is a few yards away and to search high and low to find when bad balls have been played poorly into his path to convince ourselves that he is the unlucky nearly man who has been starved of all service, where every attempt of a pass to his feet has been a rocket shot.

I think when we have to resort to making up excuses and watching edited clips of a player to search out the good bits of play is a sure sign that we fecked up and have a flop on our hands. Reminds me a bit of when Fergie hit back at journalists for questioning Veron's performances for us with the "He's a fecking great player" rant. He was indeed but not for us and there was no disguising it.

Likewise Lukaku was a great player for Everton but evidently is not the right fit for us. That was his level as he didn't have the same expectations on his shoulders and could afford to indulge in disappearing acts til his hearts content since Everton much like Lukaku are drifters who drift through the league without any expectancy
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  14. Feb 3, 2018

Wilson Litchmore Full Member

Kane is a better player. Shock horror. Not sure anyone said we were buying the best centre forward in the league in Rom. If you look to compare us to a number of players with say Spurs, you could argue the same but that's not how football works. What I would say is if we signed Kane, for me it would change nothing. It's like trying to fix a leak, we plug one gap and another one appears.
    The issue for me is it's rare 11 players turn up, and what's worse is the ones that should do only seem to create against the lesser matches and teams.....
  15. Feb 3, 2018

Hawks2008 Full Member

Good post, people want him to be a success so bad they project it onto him when it isn't there.
  16. Feb 3, 2018

Jonno Full Member

Lack of service is a myth. He’s a 75m striker and he gets given the ball 5-10 times 15-30 yards from goal and he just loses the ball or fails to distribute it well. He can’t hold the ball up, rarely shows intelligent passes or movement. He’s basically putting 5/10 in every week. He will say he’s trying his hardest, but his best and hardest is not good enough for United
  17. Feb 3, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

It gets worse. It would seem he has no self-awareness, he thinks he is actually playing well now:

Rooneyesque comments.
  18. Feb 3, 2018

Wal2Fra Full Member

I am glad this has been pointed out.

It is only ignored due tot he fact we were piss poor all over and Spurs scored 2 but Kane must have had a good 5 chances. Lukaku misses 1 and is deemed usless.

Kane is a better player than Lukakau that is for sure but United's issue isn't that Lukaku is poor it is the rest of the play that is. Give him chances he will put them away.
  19. Feb 3, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Not sure who lacks awareness. He said in 2018, he played well against Burnley, Stoke and in cup games. So yeah it's not Lukaku who lacks self awareness.
  20. Feb 3, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Wouldn't call that playing to the level required, especially after the Spurs defeat.
  21. Feb 3, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

1 bad game doesn't mean he wasn't good in previous games.
  22. Feb 3, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

He wasn't good in previous games though. But that shouldn't even be a discussion, he isn't helped by our attacking schemes.
  23. Feb 3, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

In 2018? It was against Stoke, Burnley, Yeovil.
  24. Feb 3, 2018

Devil81 Full Member

100% agree with everything said there.

He's not good enough.
  25. Feb 3, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

And you think he was good?
  26. Feb 3, 2018

roonster09 Full Member

Yeah. Except Spurs he was good enough in 2018 games.
  27. Feb 3, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Lukaku already scored much more by the age of 24 than Heskey did for Leicester and Liverpool together in like 10 years. Never once Heskey did have a season close to one Lukaku had with Everton. Out of curiosity when was that point in Heskey career where he couldn't stop scoring?

Costa is a player with an attitude that is so bad there are serious doubts if he is mentally stable. Also, a cnut of a player and wouldn't want him anywhere near this club, but most importantly wouldn't trust him as the main striker worrying at what exact time he will decide he doesn't want to play seriously anymore. Vardy would also cost shitload money for a supposed stop gap and if Everton is Lukaku level I'm fairly certain that Leicester is even more Vardy level.

I understand some doubts about Lukaku, I have it myself, however, I don't think critics are fair when you see the service we provide him and tbf his numbers are not bad at all. What I mostly don't understand is this feeling we will be stuck with him for next 4-5 years. Why should that be a case or why Lukaku couldn't be stop-gap until someone of world-class quality come along if he doesn't develop like we thought?
  28. Feb 3, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

24 goals and assists in 35 games for a 24 year old striker playing at an elite club for the first time in his career (consistently). I do wonder what goes through certain people's brains - like, lets ignore all context and take things on face value. How many players are an instant success in their first season for a new club? Lets look at something:

Torres 33 in 46 (0.71)
    Suarez 17 in 39 (0.44)
    Aguero 30 in 48 (0.62)
    Costa 21 in 37 (0.56)
    Ibra 28 in 46 (0.61)
    Lukaku 18 in 35 (0.51)

He had the advantage of having played in the league for a few years before making the step up. But lets not forget the enormous difference between fighting for survival or a mid table finish and being the lead striker for a team looking to win the PL or even the CL. Comparing him to the best strikers the Premier League has seen and he isn't far off. Torres and Aguero had been around forever before moving to the PL and were definitely the best youngish strikers around - the other three came off brilliant seasons before making the move to England. Not too shabby is our Rom in comparison to the best. He's not the finished article and has a lot to learn, but this is a terrific learning curve for a relatively young man. Some of the shit said about him is ridiculous.
  29. Feb 3, 2018

witchtrials Full Member

Do you really think the add-ons are £15 million if he reaches 11 league goals? Why bother?
  30. Feb 3, 2018

The Alchemist Banned

Really?

Listen I have only a short amount of posts allocated to me which I am able to send in these parts, so please don't waste my time on me having to explain the basics just because you are too lazy to do a bit of research to back up your points.

Here are some of Heskey's acheivements'

''During 1996–97, his first in the Premier League, Heskey scored 10 goals in 35 appearances,[11] and scored the equaliser in the 1997 League Cup Final against Middlesbrough,[14] which Leicester won in a replay.[15] Heskey was runner-up to David Beckham for the PFA Young Player of the Year award.[16] The following season, 1997–98, saw interest from Leeds United and Tottenham Hotspur for Heskey, as he again scored 10 Premier League goals, making him Leicester's top scorer that season''

''In 2000–01, Heskey scored 22 goals for Liverpool as the club won the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup treble.[27][28] He started for Liverpool in the 2001 FA Charity Shield on 12 August, in which they beat Manchester United 2–1.[29] He scored Liverpool's second goal when they beat Bayern Munich 3–2 in the 2001 UEFA Super Cup on 24 August.[30]''

Lukaku scored 25 league goals for Everton. That's his greatest claim to glory yet you are behaving as if he is a former ballon d'or winner.

As for Costa and Vardy, yes the former carries risks with his discipline but in terms of performances and ability he would have been a huge upgrade.

And I'd wager we wouldn't have had to fork out 75 million with 15 million add on's, plus Wayne Rooney for the cherry on top, for a 31 year old Vardy who'd have been desperate to leave., Not to mention this was before the neymer deal spiked the market. It was only because we were in competition with Chelsea, and desperate as to why we were willing to to pay through the nose to sign Lukakku.
  31. Feb 3, 2018

The Alchemist Banned

More excuses I see from the stat lovers

Since when does moving to a new club mean you suddenly mean you forget how to trap a ball and look as though you are playing football wearing timberland boots and levi jeans?, or make a you stand there stationary between two defenders who are showing more appetite for the ball while you coast and wait for the perfect through ball played into your feet?

His goal record against fodder, hides the fact that his performances have been average.

I'm not really concerned too much about the goals, they will come, not to mention most strikers will get a good return playing up top for United. Javier Hernandez hit 20 goals in his first season for us and he came from a little mexican league with far less playing time, but I'd bet you struggle to find anyone arguing that he should have been the focal point of the team due to his limited all round footballing ability.

Harry kane didn't play for any super power club before he burst on to the scene at totteham. He learnt most of his trade at Leyton Orient but poor ol Lukkaku who has had to ply his trade alongside local pub players at the likes of Chelsea,. Everton, and Belgian who boast nobodies such as Hazard, Mertens, De Bruyne and Naiggolan, has had a far rougher time, right? And so we need to molly coddle this big 25 year old man as if he was a teenager on the basis that he has a ''terrific learning curve' ahead of him because of not playing for super club before he joined. Is that what we are proposing here?

Like I said before the excuses and mental gymnastics are laughable.
  32. Feb 3, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Ok, since you go with that tone, will reply the same.

Don't waste your time? Too lazy? So, your research came out with the quote from the internet which takes precisely few seconds to find. Just a second...

Yes, of course, it's from wiki. Cheers mate, didn't know, I can also do research now.
    "However, 1998–99 saw Heskey score only six top-flight goals, and he was criticised for not scoring enough goals and going to ground too easily. The press saw the move to Liverpool as expensive and risky as Heskey was relatively inexperienced and was not a prolific goalscorer"
    "The 2002–03 season saw him score 9 goals in 51 appearances for Liverpool and received criticism for his low goal to game ratio, with Houllier claiming that his future at the club was safe.", all parts which you of course conveniently left out of your must say groundbreaking research.

So, Heskey best season at Leicester was 10 EPL goals, his move was considered extremely risky and he had one good goal scoring season with Liverpool with a record that Lukaku will get in a few more games if he keeps his goals per game ratio. You also ignored the part that Lukaku scored more until the age of 24 than Heskey until almost 30. All that playing mostly for the likes of West Brom and Everton. I won't even get into their national team performances and goals.

Your answer to Lukaku is that cnut Costa and Vardy at the age of 31 which has even less ability than him. Newsflash for you, Vardy would cost at least around £35-40m considering Leicester stance with Mahrez and would have no resale value at all which is not a case with Lukaku. Have another newsflash for you, since you want a stopgap in Vardy. There is still no world-class striker on the market, so you would basically be ok with Vardy leading our attacking lineup for at least 2 years.

And I'm wasting your time? Don't bother, won't happen again.

The Alchemist... Nah, I will call you The Researcher from now on.

Edit: just noticed this nonsense also

33. Feb 3, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Shit house of a post.
  34. Feb 3, 2018

Red4Life_#7 Full Member

Today Lukaku showed the good and the bad. Firstly he finished brilliantly for his goal, but if he would more intelligence and being on his toes more he would score more. In the 51st minute Sanchez played a ball in behind the defence from a free kick and he didn't even react to it!! Secondly his touch is terrible at times, especially in one on one situations. But I have faith that he will improve.
  35. Feb 3, 2018

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

Think it's partially asking him to be something he is not. Early balls in are food and drink for him and we should aim to get them in quickly and decisively.

If we keep asking him to hold up the play and link up we will probably be disappointed in him. Mata's cross was great.
  36. Feb 4, 2018

The Alchemist Banned

My my my... where do I start with this car crash of a post? The state of this place, and this is meant to be the creme de la creme of posters on this site?

Firstly you made the fictitious point that Heskey never had a season close to Lukaku and asked me when in his career could he not stop scoring. I answered both of your questions where he scored 22 goals for Liverpool. Questions which you yourself discovered had only taken a few seconds to find on wiki if you could have been bothered to look instead of wasting my time and post count in me having to spoon feed you with basic answers. In future, click google, instead of asking stupid questions about players you clearly didn't watch and know nothing about. Like I said I have a limit until I'm promoted, before I am allowed to post again here after 24 hours, so bear that mind before you flippantly make things up that have no factual basis in reality.

I did not conveniently leave out anything, because his England career has nothing to do with the discussion.

As for the 10 goals for Leicester which you bring up as if it was a mealy accomplishment, they were newly promoted and he was their top scorer. A worst team than Everton. Not to mention he actually helped Liverpool to win 3 trophies and was lethal in that season before was turned into a sole supplier for the likes of Owen .

Lukaku has scored more goals up until 24 yes, he clearly the better player there is no disputing that. However his style of play and limitations are similar to Heskey in that he lacks a footballing brain and is a lumbering bumbling mess whenever a ball is played too fast into his path.

This is why when people say he is a glorified Heskey, they do not mean he is the exact same player with the same level of ability, but merely an graded version with superior finishing ability. Both have good speed and like to work the channels, both strong but with limited intelligence in how to use it.

As for Vardy costing 35-40 million at 31 years of age, is that the same vardy who was due to join Arsenal for 20 million until he pulled out at the last minute, on the back of his best season scoring 24 goals in Leicester's premiership title win? In your world as players age, their value increases do they?

Mahrez is in his prime at 26 years of age, so they can command a ridiculous fee for him, especially consider this is after the inflation of the market due to the Neymer deal.

And yes I would be happy with vardy as a stop gap, over being stuck with a big oaf who can only be a threat against the burnleys, and Huddersfield s of this world.

If we had vardy for 20-25 million, which was a realistic fee, then he'd rotate with Martial and we wouldn't be obligated to start him every game like we have with Lukaku due to the ridiculous transfer fee and wages paid to him. You don't pay 75 million for a stop gap flat track bully.

Lastly you don't have to refer to me as the researcher, just call me the no bullshitter. Because I ain't going to sugar coat and beat around the bush with anything like the rest are doing with this donkey that is to lazy to think and move into space when the midfield are interchanging in front of the defence looking to play him in somewhere.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  37. Feb 4, 2018

Swift Football Banned

Well its 25 mins in Liv vs. Tottenham game, and the 'real' number 9 has 4 touches :D
  38. Feb 4, 2018

Bubz27 Full Member

Kane having a tough time getting into a difficult away match in which his team hasn't really offered him any service.
  39. Feb 4, 2018

Kostov Full Member

Shh.. That only applies to Romelu. Kane singlehanded scores game after game.
  40. Feb 4, 2018

Hugh Jass Full Member

Awful post.