Rio's words on Kane and Lukaku: A Real No. 9

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Red4Life_#7, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018

Tapori Full Member

Still put in a superb through ball.
  2. Feb 4, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

Weird the way Kane isn’t dominating Liverpool. I thought service was irrelevant? /s
  3. Feb 4, 2018

Sterling Archer Full Member

Exactly. Now watch him score a hat trick out of nowhere second half hah
  4. Feb 4, 2018

Bubz27 Full Member

I'm not having a dig at Kane. A poor performance in a tough game doesn't change the fact he's a phenomenal striker.
  5. Feb 4, 2018

Greck Full Member

Yep let's promote a situation of one-upism where every week we bump this thread to gloat everytime one player struggles. I'm sure that's a state of affairs that will favour Lukaku
  6. Feb 4, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

Kane fluffs his big penalty and chance to hit 100.

EDIT: Gets a second whack at it and delivers. :D
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  7. Feb 4, 2018

Tapori Full Member

Fair enough.
    Not hating on Lukaku btw; I think he needs to rapidly alter his game to keep pace with Kane's progression.
  8. Feb 4, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Your basic problem is to learn how to read other posts before you answer it. The problem is also that you don't want to debate because you already have a fully formed opinion about Lukaku and you decided to beat him with every stick possible.

When I implied you that he scored more by the age of 24 than Heskey in both Leicester and Liverpool any person with a little bit of logic would conclude that I checked their goalscoring record before I posted that. That's why your copy/paste from the wiki was so laughable and I answered it in the same way. Also, every person who watched Emile Heskey knows that he couldn't hit a barn door while he was playing. I asked you when was that period when he couldn't stop scoring because that was precisely 3 months at the start of his second season in Liverpool. 3 months from the end of the August till' the start of December same year. As you find out from your precious wiki that was the 2000/01 season.
    Must tell you, one big period of him as a scoring machine. Considering your age and the fact you mentioned earlier about watching Heskey on clips and than using a wiki to back it up, I'm not sure I'm the one who didn't watch him at Leicester and in the start of his Liverpool career.

You did. You left out the part that his move to Liverpool was massively questioned because he didn't have a great goalscoring record in Leicester which went right after the sentence you copied.

Again turning and spinning to fit the narrative. And West Bromwich Albion were league contenders when Lukaku scored 17 at the age of 19? They finished in the 8th place and the next season when he left for Everton almost got relegated.

Now, to the point. They are both big strikers and look clumsy with the ball, but that's where every comparison stops because they had nothing else similar and their playing style was different. While Heskey used his body better, he usually dragged the defence allowing others to score. Lukaku is excellent on the counter and facing the goal, doesn't use his strength good at all and he is far superior when it comes to goalscoring and movement inside the box. But, both are big, so there you have it. And yes, Lukaku is a far better striker.

In my world and in every other world other than yours market went to shit for a good year and a half now. Just to compare how shit it is, Andy Caroll who try to prove every second since he moved from Newcastle that he is a crap striker has the same valuation as he had at the time of his big move to Liverpool. About 30-35 million. We were desperate for a striker, the market went to shit and Leicester would get us to pay way more than we should. If Vardy was/is still available for 20 million he wouldn't be in Leicester anymore.
    But, it's hard to argue with a person whose answer to Lukaku is Vardy or Costa.

The funny thing about this whole thing is that I didn't even want Lukaku at the start of the season. Some of the flaws in his game were obvious while he was in Everton and played for Belgium, but this tendency that is going on around the Caf in turning him to a scapegoat for our failures is tedious and too predictable. I can see that he will pretty much be singled out for any of our bad results in the future. The truth is that he is playing according to his qualities and what was there to see while he was in Everton. He has good numbers and is putting away teams we couldn't beat last year, so he solved part of our problems. Altogether he is having a solid/good first season. This is not Di Maria or Falcao case where the player is underperforming. It's not his fault that people were expecting something he never had.

You think you know what you're talking about, seem eloquent and articulate while twisting the narrative, talking bs and calling our players donkeys and oafs. Don't worry, you'll fit right in.
  9. Feb 5, 2018

Wotspur New Member

The thing with watching Kane ,is like yesterday he had a quiet game but came up with the goods when needed, but were more than a 1 Man team , but HK “our 1 season wonder” will win his 4 th Golden boot
  10. Feb 6, 2018

RooneyLegend Full Member

This. Either we build a team that lets him focus on what he's good at or we get rid.
  11. Feb 6, 2018

Dummy786 New Member

NO Chance, lukaku is so bad, he will score with mid table teams but he cant hold the ball up, win headers and his first touch, lets not even go there...
  12. Feb 7, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Different kinds of striker.

Kane is an all-around goalscorer, good at dropping deep, linking-up plays, shooting at distance and holding the ball, while...
    Lukaku is actually more of a poacher, far more lethal inside the box, running in behind defenders and carry/dribble the ball down the channels.

We're still not getting the best out of Lukaku, after the Mkhitaryan experiment fail. Relax, Jose is not oblivious to this issue, which is why his instructions to play Sanchez nearer to Lukaku and supposedly giving Pogba more freedom by bringing in another midfielder will bring out Lukaku's best.

What impresses the most is, contrary to perhaps popular belief, Lukaku is not one of the selfish kind of striker, instead more balance in a way he actually made a lot of assists to team mates by record and even showed awareness and intents of this in many matches this season, compare to Kane's heavy scoring goals emphasis approach.
  13. Feb 8, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

When I look at Lukaku I think "now there's a proper #9", but when I see him play he seems more like a guy who would benefit from having a strike partner. He doesn't like to play with his back to goal. He wants to make runs instead or would rather pick up the ball out wide than hold it up and wait for support. This is a big part of the reason why I would rather see us play a 4-4-2 diamond. It would put our best players in their best positions (for the most part) and would unleash Pogba to be more of a box to box guy:

-----------------------DDG----------------------
    Valencia-------Jones------Bailley---------Shaw
    -----------------------Matic---------------------
    ------------Fellaini------------Pogba------------
    ----------------------Sanchez------------------
    -------------Lukaku----------Martial----------
  14. Feb 8, 2018

MrBest Full Member

Kane is a brilliant scorer, holds the ball well, starts play well and brings others into the game. Let's not forget that he only scores in bursts. To be considered the best striker in the world which some people exaggerate I would expect you to be scoring in over 65% of the games you play in. Despite having a goal to game ratio of 85% This season he has scores in less than 50% of games. Against the top 5 there have been 7 games so far of which he has scores 3 goals in, all against Liverpool. That leaves 11 goals against the bottom 10 teams, 4 goals against Everton who have been awful this year and 5 goals against teams between 7th and 10th. Don't get me wrong I think he will score a lot of goals but I don't think he's fit enough to be on the same level as fat Ronaldo, shevchenko, crespo, prime kluivert, rvn and co. These guys delivered in all types of games and you could say drove teams to win trophies. Maybe kane needs to leave for a bigger club to become close to that bracket but I think he is still some way off to be regarded as this elite untouchable striker.

Lukaku is miles off kane and I still question why we even bought him!
  15. Feb 8, 2018

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Isn't that the same criticism that was levelled at Lukaku at Everton? If I regret right he scored a lot of goals against fewer teams than you'd expect.
  16. Feb 8, 2018

MrBest Full Member

Can't argue with that hence I really did not what us to sign him. If have kane over him any day but this nonsense of kane being world class is very very premature
  17. Feb 8, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

I think that all depends on what your definition of world class is. If your definition of world class only includes the likes of the players you mentioned along with Neymar, CR7 and Messi, then he's not world class. However I would put him in the same class as someone like Lewandowski or any other #9 that is playing today. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of another #9 in the game today who I would take over Kane...