Rome: Total War

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Klopper76, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Sep 10, 2018

Klopper76 Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Did anyone play this back in the day? I just started playing it for the first time on my iPad and it's great fun if you're into that kind of strategy game. The battles are really well done and require some tactical thinking, plus there's a great variety of units too.
  2. Sep 10, 2018

Welsh Wonder A dribbling mess on the sauce

Up there with my favourite ever games. Not just the vanilla version but with the countless incredible mods available on the PC it's stolen a lot of hours of my life. I'm due another reinstall now I'd say :D
  3. Sep 10, 2018

Klopper76 Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It's pretty addictive once you get going. Played it for like 6 hours yesterday whilst my other half was out shopping.
  4. Sep 10, 2018

Uniquim Full Member

Bought the second Rome one on steam sale not too long ago. Ended up playing it a lot. Didn't even realize there would be mods for it! Ooooh, this is going to be great.

btw, Total War: Three Kingdoms is coming next year. For PC & PS4 as I gather. Possibly other platforms too.
  5. Sep 10, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Yes, a long time ago. Have it on steam but for whatever reasons, it is refusing to open. To be fair, better that way considering how addictive it is. Right there with FM as a game I don't want to play cause then I cannot stop plain, and so I didn't bother to search much for a solution.
  6. Sep 10, 2018

Stactix Full Member

Was hoping it'd come to Android, loved Rome 1 back in the day.
    Have most of them on PC, bar the new Warhammer.

CA are pretty shitty at times though, mass dlc.. removal of features.. barebones or lacklustre supporting of modders.
    Medieval 2 had some incredible mods.

It's a great series though although Three kingdoms looks a bit meh.
  7. Sep 10, 2018

Slevs likes to play with penises

Now that brings back some fun memories.

There's Rome Total War 2 too.
  8. Sep 10, 2018

Klopper76 Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Isn't the map different for that one? I haven't played it but I read that they removed the ability to move units/spies/diplomats around like you can in the first one.
  9. Sep 10, 2018

Bebe Full Member

My favourite and most played game ever, bar none.
  10. Sep 10, 2018

Slevs likes to play with penises

If I remember correctly, same map but more factions and managing settlements was much more fun.
  11. Sep 10, 2018

Coxy Full Member

Incredible game - in my top 10.

The music is my phones ring tone ;)
  12. Sep 10, 2018

Stactix Full Member

Same location but more regions and much prettier.

Diplomats aren't in the newer games, in most of the newer games you can treat with any other faction at any point. Which is good but has dumbed it down a bit.
    Spies/Assasins are still in 2.
    Units have to always be part of an army with a general, in Rome 1 you could have 50 armies with 1 unit in each. You'd also have to manually garrison each region otherwise they'd be left undefended (if I recall correctly). In 2 each settlement has a garrison, with some building choices giving you bigger garrisons.

Would reccomend some of the newer Tw's Rome 2 especially with mods is really good, Shogun 2, Medieval 2 (Many think it's the best one although a bit dated now) Warhammer 1.

Hard to beat the scale of some of the battles, having a battle fought at both land and sea is awesome.
  13. Sep 12, 2018

Thunderhead Full Member

Supports:
    City
    absolutely loved the game, think I stopped playing the series after Medieval TW
  14. Sep 12, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I've put in about a gazillion hours into the Total War franchise. Probably the most in Rome or Medieval 2.

Amazing games. Need to upgrade my PC for the upcoming ones though I think.
  15. Sep 12, 2018

Jagga7 Full Member Scouse Lover

I've never played them but am very tempted to download the new one now and try it out.
  16. Sep 12, 2018

Klopper76 Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I was playing last night after work for a few hours and got battered after trying to take a few cities from the Macedonians. Those spear men they have (hoplites I think) are a pain once they have armour on.

Watching elephants send units flying is fun too.
  17. Sep 13, 2018 at 00:45

jeff_goldblum Full Member

Loved these games, especially Rome and Medieval 2 which were comprehensively modded to improve basically every aspect of the games. Played most of them since then but generally moved over the Paradox games for my grand strategy hit because they have a lot more depth to them. I used to miss the battles, but the poor AI on release and the lack of modding tools for the recent games makes them less satisfying than they should be.

Would recommend Crusader Kings 2 to anyone looking for a crazily in-depth grand strategy game set in the Medieval-era.
  18. Sep 13, 2018 at 01:32

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    I've played Rome, Rome II, Medieval II and Empire. Of the 4, the one I liked the least was the Empire, perhaps because of the battles with gunpowder. In addition the subject of the colonies and pirates, although entertaining gave much advantage to those who controlled them.
    I have not played Warhammer,Attila or Napoleon.
    I think my favorite is Medieval II. In Rome II, the Rome faction is too strong and the rest too weak as the game progresses(except the phalanx which is basically a victory), the medieval one seems more balanced, or maybe I like that period more. I would love a medieval 3, with the improvements that have been collected over the years, with diplomacy above all
  19. Sep 13, 2018 at 01:39

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Crusaders Kings 2 is a super game, to play for a month non stop although so much dynasty, county, marriage ... surpassed me a bit.
    Would you recommend some other games?. I look forward to playing the Europa Universalis saga, which seems similar.
  20. Sep 13, 2018 at 01:46

Edgar Allan Pillow Was AFC, likes them hypoallergenic - no feathers Scouse Lover

Yup. Brilliant game.
  21. Sep 13, 2018 at 01:50

Nucks Cuckoo

I play both, paradox games and total war games. I don't really see them as scratching the same itch. TW games are and always have been super simplistic grand strategy games, where AI, challenge, depth, is all really just window dressing, to provide a semi coherent narrative for your battles. The games haven't been legitimately challenging since Medieval 1, back when the game was more boardgame, with simpler rules that the AI could manage. Have mercy Almohad and Hojo hordes!

The Paradox games are just much deeper strategy games. So when I want to lead armies, I load up TW. When I want a deep, engrossing game with emergent narrative gameplay, I'll play CK2, or EU4, or HOI, or Stellaris.
  22. Sep 13, 2018 at 07:37

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    To be fair, with the right mods and a high difficulty the newer Total war games can be quite hard in my opinion. Playing Western Rome in Atilla on very hard for instance is tough as feck. Though, I agree, not because of strategic depth, but more because of the endless rebellions and huge bonuses the AI gets :)
  23. Sep 13, 2018 at 07:42

SilentWitness ShoelessWitness Staff

Supports:
    Everton
    Anyone play Europa Universalis?