View full 2017-18 profile

6.2 Average rating
51 Appearances
27 Goals
10 Assists
3 Yellow cards
  1. Feb 4, 2018

Jagga7 Full Member

I've never been a fan of his. But we don't play to his strengths at all. He seems to absolutely thrive on crosses but we don't seem to play with much width or put in a ton of crosses in.
    I am sure if we did he would score a lot more goals.
  2. Feb 4, 2018

Hitchez Full Member

This has been obvious from the moment we signed him. His strength has never been his hold up play. That was the most ridiculed part of his game. Hi thrives on crosses and balls in behind. Why he was signed for a role that Jose always needs in his strikers when he was never good at it is on Jose's head I'm afraid.
  3. Feb 4, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

It might be worth trying him from the right with the instruction to cut in.

Every time I’ve seen him do this during a match he’s looked quality.

Despite being a big lad, he’s most definately not a target man (wins very few headers, doesn’t hold the ball up and gets bullied by defenders too easily) so maybe we should try something different with him?
  4. Feb 4, 2018

The Irish Connection New Member

I actually think he's been alright. Ok, he's had a few crap games but he has looked good when running at defences and in counter attacks and he has played some great passes which surprised me. He has a fair few good assists.
  5. Feb 4, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

This place has serious bipolar issues. Here are some of our results from last year:

Stoke 1-1 (H)
    Burnley 1-1 (H)
    Everton 1-1 (A)
    West Ham 1-1 (H)
    Stoke 1-1 (A)
    Hull City 0-0 (H)
    Bournemouth 1-1 (H)
    WBA 1-1 (H)
    Everton 1-1 (H)
    Swansea 1-1 (H)
    Southampton 0-0 (A)

11 draws against teams who we should be beating 9/10. 11 points from these 11 games.

This season:

Stoke 3-0 (H)
    Burnley 2-2 (H)
    Everton 0-2 (A)
    West Ham 4-0 (H)
    Stoke 2-2 (A)
    Huddersfield 2-0 (H)
    Bournemouth 1-0 (H)
    WBA yet to play
    Everton 4-0 (H)
    Swansea yet to play
    Southampton 0-1 (A)

So from 9 of the games (swapped Hull for Huddersfield), we've won 8 and drawn 1 - with two to play. That's 25 points in comparison to 9 points, last season - he's a huge reason why we're significantly better than in every season since SAF. He's scored in 7 of those games.

Last season, and even in these previous three, we've constantly struggled against relegation fodder and it's a huge reason as to why we've missed out on the CL twice in four seasons. In fact struggling against them was just one issue, many of them came to Old Trafford to "play" with the belief that they could beat us. Not this year, though as we've got part of our mojo back and made OT into the fortress it once was. We were crying out for someone to put his chance his way and help win us points in games where we've dropped far more than we should and that's exactly what the big man has done.

All that's bloody needed is for him, and the rest of the club (players and Mourinho included) to step up in the big games and we'll be challenging for the league.
  6. Feb 4, 2018

Wilson Litchmore Full Member

I love the comparisons with the lesser players but if they are the same of better why have they not score as many goals as he has? Sorry this is exactly like the Felliani signing. Most wanted Morata or Griezmann and this is the fallout of not signing them. No ones saying he's Ronaldo but give him service and he'll score. I could funny understand it if that wasn't the case but the service to him as been limited at best.
  7. Feb 4, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Feck, reading that, I just had a mental image of Lukaku wearing Natalie Portman's dress from Black Swan and dancing.:lol:
  8. Feb 4, 2018

Jazz Full Member

:lol: I don't mean for him to wear a dress!

Though I do wonder if they could find something to fit that big feet of his:D

By the way, as a kid, Rio Ferdinand did some ballet - true story!
  9. Feb 4, 2018

haram Full Member

His link up play is actually ok, it’s his hold up play that needs to be better.
  10. Feb 4, 2018

savais Full Member

I thought his hold up play was pretty good yesterday.
  11. Feb 4, 2018

haram Full Member

I think it’s more when we go long that he struggles with hold up. Even when he was at Everton I remember Blind not really struggling much when the ball went long into Lukaku.
  12. Feb 4, 2018

Anonymous Coward Banned

Supports:
    No-one
    Ballet wouldn't make him significantly more nimble and quick-footed at his age.

His flat-footedness is ingrained in him. His gait, bone structure, leg length, foot shape.... etc. all dictate how quickly he can move parts of his body at speed.
  13. Feb 4, 2018

spontaneus1 Hamster, damn!

Exactly, how many games this year would have been drawn again only for him? More than a few I expect.
  14. Feb 4, 2018

Still ill Fantasy Football Champ 2018

That's an admission that he can't do these things, which is nonsense. He feels like he's been around for a decade but he's still learning his trade. I'm not having that he can't use his bulk more effectively than he does at the moment .
  15. Feb 4, 2018

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Wonder if we should try a front three of Martial - Sanchez - Lukaku, with Alexis having the false 9 role up front. That way we can play 3 in midfield. Might be worth a try in the big games.
  16. Feb 4, 2018

Niall All Powerful Super Being Staff

:lol: somebody has got to photoshop Lukaku in a tutu!

Ballet! I really have heard it all now.
  17. Feb 4, 2018

RedStarUnited Full Member

RVP had 18 league goals by this point in 12/13. Having scored against City away, Chelsea away and Liverpool away to add to his goal at home to Arsenal, basically all the big games.

I cant believe you made that comparison to be honest.
  18. Feb 4, 2018

Jazz Full Member

:p
  19. Feb 4, 2018

Z2United New Member

Supports:
    Team Zlatan
    You just need to look at the games. The player is not good enough for a top team.
  20. Feb 4, 2018

afrocentricity Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

You can tell the posters who think this should all play out like a game of football manager, some of these new posters haven't got a clue, the old moaners are already established so no surprise there....

Glad there are a few posters who know wtf they are talking about (falling on deaf ears tho).
    We should be able to downvote posters and send them straight back to the newbies.

Moaner quote response in 3, 2...
  21. Feb 4, 2018

ThaReaper01 Full Member

A “top club” should be creating chances left, right and center, like United last year, for example. All they needed was a prolific #9 to put them away. Now Lukaku gets here and we expect him to be a false nine and be heavily involved in the build up? Nah.

Listen, we knew what we were getting with Lukaku so to expect anything different now is delusional. He finishes off chances. That’s his job. Feed him and he’ll score. He’s reaching Jonny Evans territory of scapegoating, and after a win no less.
  22. Feb 4, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Agreed.

Lukaku is a terrific striker, and if you feed him (as they should) then he'll score non stop.
  23. Feb 4, 2018

ash_86 Full Member

And also scoring in it.
  24. Feb 4, 2018

roseguy64 Full Member

I posted his conversion rate just above this post...
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  25. Feb 4, 2018

roseguy64 Full Member

Agreed. He needs to take more long shots. He's got a powerful strike.
  26. Feb 4, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

Don’t tell him about how strikers like Aguero and Salah have missed more ‘big chances’ this season. That might blow their mind.

The stats back up the ‘he gets feck all service’ narrative as much people think it’s bollocks. He’s not Lionel Messi no but he’s a great finisher. It’s our attack that’s the problem.
  27. Feb 4, 2018

Loublaze ATLien

Do you think an RVP type player would thrive in this United setup alongside players like Martial and Rashford? Let's not forget how drastically RVNs goals reduced after Beckham's departure. He hated playing with Ronaldo and constantly complained about the quality of service. In the end we looked better going forward with Saha and things came to a head at the 2006 league cup final when he was benched. Looks like Lukaku is the new Andy Cole around here.
  28. Feb 4, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

Ruud averaged 30 goals a year during his entire time at United, which is exactly what we need. RvP imo, was simply not on that level for a long enough period of time. We need an out and out striker who is a deadly finisher. Unfortunately other than Kane, Lewandowski, and maybe one or two others, there simply aren't enough of them around these days.
  29. Feb 4, 2018

Loublaze ATLien

Ruud averaged 30 indeed but there was a steep drop off after Beckham left. In his first season he scored 36 and he scored 44 (his best) in his second. In his final three seasons he managed 30, 16 and 24. Lukaku has scored 19 so far in his first season and has made 6 assists. He's surely on his way to 30 at least for the season if he stays fit so if you're judging him on his goals contribution don't you think you should maybe wait until the end of the season?
  30. Feb 4, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Lukaku rate would probably get him 30 goals or more this season despite much worse service than RVN had. Alexis if he keeps up with the level he showed yesterday game, would be a great boost for Lukaku.

It's another case when people just look at how others is doing and project their expectation and disregarding every thing else.
  31. Feb 4, 2018

lsd Full Member

Can't see Van Nistlerooy linking up with Sanchez and Martial at all . They would be way too unpredictable for him he would throwing strops all round every time they took an extra touch or dribble .

Van Persie I could see working well and a fit Saha that didn't break down would be unstoppable
  32. Feb 4, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

He only played half a season in year 4 so there would obviously be a drop off, but if you extrapolate his performance over an entire season it would equal more than 30 that year. Also, he continued his 30 goal average into his first year at Madrid.

For me, Lukaku, is basically a poor man's Drogba. He may get a good number of goals but you just never have any confidence that he will score when we can use a goal, which is something the likes of RvN, Ibra, and RvP provided.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  33. Feb 4, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

There's really no viable comparison. Ruud was absolute magic - one the great finishers in the history of the league.
  34. Feb 4, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Style wise. Okay. Approach wise, there is. They both mostly the type who need to stay closer to opposition box and relies on service.

Disagree completely. The whole Drogba comparison is very stereotypical to say the least. The way they approach game is different. How their goals span out is different: one is about big match game, big moment while throughout his career doesn't score enough. One put up numbers despite playing for lesser team, but is at the moment found lacking in big games. One love a physical battle with oppisition. One needs to learn how to us even his physique and natural athleticism.

Also Zlatan is not the type you can include in the categories of clinical finisher. Despite the height he reach during his career he is always a wasteful finisher. He is top RVN in scoring out of nothing goal though.

There is no doubt that RVN is the deadliest finisher in the box, however, since his approach to game is limited, he couldn't break away from the pack. His goal scoring rate can be matched.

Edit: and the reason RVN didn't play as much in his last season with us is not just because injury. It was Saha who took his game time and rumor was that SAF actively works to alienate him from the team. This is something usually be seen with players SAF tried to push out of the door.
  35. Feb 4, 2018

Konimey New Member

I personally blame Jose for Lukaku's failure. I think he expected Lukaku to be a player in the mold of the kind of Drogba or Costa or Milito, hard front men, technically sound who frequently make a defender's life hell for 90 minutes. But Lukaku isn't like that, despite his size he isn't the striker in the mold of above mentioned. He has a good left foot and likes classic wingers putting in crosses for him to get at the end of, he isn't a warhorse like Drogba or a constant niggling threat like Milito or Costa. United plays with inverted wingers and expects Lukaku to link up play. He has one of the worst first touches for a striker, and vision is average at best. If United reverts to wing play with classic wingers running down the flanks and putting in crosses, Lukaku will be a huge threat. At Everton he had Coleman, Baines and Deulofeu who used to put in wicked crosses in the box. But we don't have such personnel in the team. Either Jose changes his tactics or start playing Sanchez or Martial as the CF to get more productivity up front.
  36. Feb 4, 2018

marko goalo New Member

Those wuppo
    Or a rich mans Adie Akinbayi....either way he isn't good enough for Manchester United
  37. Feb 4, 2018

Oneunited26 Full Member

What also bothers me with Mourinho is what he sees in his players, he seems to value power and size over other attributes, with mata being an acception. lukaku much like allot of our players its a cycle, rinse, repeat, recycle, they have a few good games, when it comes to the crunch they fold like a team of losers, the manager sticks up for them no matter how poor they playing, they score a few goals, repeat. What also really bothers me with Mourinho even more, he targets the more talented players for much worse scrutiny who are key to our success, and defends the limited players like their his kids, young, fellaini, lukaku, matic has bloody poor for months, and gives the likes of shaw, pogba, martial who are our future of our club far harder treatment. Fact remains lukaku is not good enough for united, and we going to be stuck with this player for 18 months because Jose is that stubborn, begging fellaini to stay, sometimes everything just boggles the mind with Mourinho.
  38. Feb 4, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

I’d be more concerned if he was ballooning chance after chance over the bar, but his conversion rate is actually very good.

Look at the first half yesterday, we had about two fecking shots in 45 minutes against relegation fodder.

Under Mourinho we just don’t create loads of chances, our attackers feed off scraps.
  39. Feb 4, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

Another goal for him, he looks happy again and seems to be enjoying his football.
  40. Feb 5, 2018

MThomas Banned

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
    Are we providing enough chances for him ? No, not really. Then again, it's not all that much of a point either, as it doesn't explain how little he offers as a focal point in the team. That Sanchez ball which had him one on one with their CB pretty much sums it up.