Ronaldo Watch

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by 032Devil, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 25, 2012

jojojo Full Member

Real Madrid have scored 13 times against Barcelona in the past three years - Ronaldo has scored 6 of them, including both of their winners, and two that gave them draws.
  2. Apr 25, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Bayern had more possession home and away and 5 more shots over the two legs, the 5 in this game - 20 shots tonight, that's pretty decent against a team like Madrid.
  3. Apr 25, 2012

SirAF Full Member

Agreed, no way penalties are luck.
  4. Apr 26, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

They are a bit. I've already said this a couple of times tonight. 8 of those 10 penalties only required the keeper to guess the right corner. When you got a penalty like Alaba's it's not a question about luck. Ramos of course didn't hit the target. But all the other penalties the player simply put it to one side and hoped the keeper went the other. The mental pressure affects them doing that and previously playing 120 minutes of football tires you out, you might have a knock as well, which therefor affects you not being able to take the best penalty.

The keepers weren't the difference tonight in the shoot out. Any keeper could have saved those penalties and any player could have taken them the same way. It's not like the players knew the keeper was going right and therefor they shot left or vice versa.
  5. Apr 26, 2012

I'm always right Banned

What? Bayern were clearly the better team. The mind boggles. :confused:
  6. Apr 26, 2012

SteveJ all-round nice guy

He's so egotistical that he deliberately missed the penalty so the cameras would focus on him if Real had won & his team-mates were rushing to acclaim their goalie/goalscorer, à la Moscow '08. [/tinfoil hat]
  7. Apr 26, 2012

Sojiro Formerly MST3K

"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
    boy did he look knackered during the extra time. Understandable given the intensity of the last three games (Bayern - Barca - Bayern) but he rarely ever looks so off colour that it was a bit suprising. A testament to his amazing consistency I suppose.
  8. Apr 26, 2012

marcus agrippa Full Member

[​IMG]
  9. Apr 26, 2012

Neutral BTV

Bayern sat back...no freaking way.

Only their poor finishing kept this tie alive. Combined over the 2 legs, there can be no doubt, Bayern were just about deserved winners.
  10. Apr 26, 2012

Trionz Banned

I knew that too.
    We are awesome.
  11. Apr 26, 2012

iSparky Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad

Fergie sign him up, fergie, fergie sign him up!

Just dont let him take high pressure penalties anymore.
  12. Apr 26, 2012

Stretch Full Member

This. And this.

The penalty he took was not bad at all, if anything, it was better than his first one. He hits it firmer and both were to the bottom corner. Neuer just made an absolutely great save. Neuer goes the other way and folks would be wanking about how it was a great pen. His Moscow pen was poorer for me but this was hit firmly to the bottom left corner. Neuer anticipated well and moved swiftly that way with a firm hand. Just how the cookie crumbles.

Overall Ronaldo's game in the 2nd half and ET was poor. 2nd half due to Real's perceived tactic of sitting back and scared of conceding. Weird that was. As the game went on you could Ronaldo tiring. He was knackered during ET. But I feel he can't be blamed for in anyway for Real's exit in the UCL. He did what was expected of him, he scored 2 goals. You really can't ask more of him. I felt a bit for him but Bayern deserved to go through on the balance of the 2 games.
  13. Apr 26, 2012

Floyd Doesn't like his Tagline played with

Because he missed a penalty? :houllier:

Did you not see Maradona's penalty vs Yugoslavia in Italy 90?
  14. Apr 26, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Claiming a missed penalty is somehow less of a sin if it's saved is a lame excuse. You have a free shot at goal from 12 yards out. The idea is to hit an shot at the goal that can't be saved. This is something that most professional footballers could do more often than not and Ronaldo's been very good at in the league, by all accounts.

However when the pressure was really on last night..
  15. Apr 26, 2012

Zen Full Member

He miss for us vs Cech was an abysmal penalty to be honest. Yesterdays was soft as well considering he usually bangs them in for Madrid, he did plenty of slower penalties for us that went in, but most I've seen for Madrid, he just wallops them. Not as bad as Lahms though, of course, but Lahmns a full back.

The other two that are comparable, vs England, weren't when the spotlight was on him, he was just a young talent then, and not even Portugals main go to guy either time.
  16. Apr 26, 2012

Yep, and Cruyff and co.'s.
  17. Apr 26, 2012

Trionz Banned

Think he needs to improve his dribbling, in terms of trying a new way rather than flicking it past & running for it. He is fast & has his own flair but i hardly see him ghost past someone smoothly; it's always about being crisp with this guy.
    Robben & Ribbery looked better at it than him.
  18. Apr 26, 2012

Adam-Utd Full Member

wtf it was just a good penalty save?

If neuer goes the other way everybody says how great he is and what a player ronaldo is.

Neuer does a good job saving it, along with 2 others, and now ronaldo is a flop.

:lol: you guys make me laugh.

Personally feel he should of just bolted it down the middle though, GK' these days always just dive to the corner
  19. Apr 26, 2012

Black Adder Full Member

There's too little credit given to goalkeepers when it comes to penalties.

Everyone just keep on going how Cristiano missed it, and the truth is that only missed penalty yesterday was that from Ramos (ball still didn't land anywhere), while both Kaka and Ronaldo took their shoots at goal just Neur saved them both with great reflexes.
  20. Apr 26, 2012

Snake Plissken Aka LTS10

It wasnt the most accurate though, and its not the first time hes failed in a really high pressure penalty, so he should take the criticism that everyone else gets when they miss them.

He can always console himself with the fact that his was nowhere near as bad as Sergio Ramos' :lol:

Big chance missed for him though, if he had lead Madrid to their 10th CL I dont think people would have had any option but to vote him WPOTY, and we know how much he wants it.
  21. Apr 26, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    You mean like the one he slotted early in the game? what there's no pressure then?

What about when the pressure was on Messi when he fluffed one that would probably have seen Barca into the final? Big players miss penalties because they're not fecking easy and any cnut that says they are is absolutely deluded.
  22. Apr 26, 2012

B20 Giggsy! Giggsy! Giggsy!

[​IMG]

FYI, Madrid were in the white jerseys.
  23. Apr 26, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Eh? Who are you calling deluded? And who are you calling a cnut?

No need to throw a girly strop because someone dared criticise your hero.
  24. Apr 26, 2012

Raoul Administrator

:lol:
  25. Apr 26, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

I didn't call you a cnut or deluded, it was general reference to some people that might claim that penalties are easy. I don't believe you said that so why take offense to it?

My comment to you was about the fact that he actually slotted a penalty when the pressure was on regardless so missing one later, really doesn't hold true that he couldn't deal with it.
  26. Apr 26, 2012

davisjw Full Member

He choked. He looked injured, but at the end of the day, he choked. Like Messi.

Luckily for him and Messi, they both have carried their clubs this season and are allowed a free pass. If it wasn't for those two, neither club would have been there.
  27. Apr 26, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    Ah...
  28. Apr 26, 2012

Mick1991 Full Member

There is a world of difference in taking a penalty in the normal 90 (very early in the game also), and a penalty shoot out to decide the game. His body language alone will tell you the pressure he was under.
  29. Apr 26, 2012

mariachi-19 Full Member

I really don't understand this notion that either Messi or Ronaldo choked. Both didn't have great games set by their high standards, but they both created good chances at times or scored. Football is a team game, and you could quite easily point to moments this week and last week where their team mates failed to deliver as well. As much as you can say Messi's penalty miss was bad for Barca, Fabregas miss from point blank and an empty net was probably worth more. A good chance to get a vital away goal and failed dismally. In the same way, Pepe gave away a shit penalty in the first half.
  30. Apr 26, 2012

Tomuś Nani is crap, I tell you!

Bayern didn't just sit back. They played cautious football, that's right, but there were a good few periods in the game when they dominated Madrid. They deserved it over two legs, they possessed more quality throughout the pitch and were more consistent at it. You didn't expect them to play cavalier or possession football all the time, against the only team in recent years who comes close to our 06-09 side as far as counter-attacking football is concerned.

Especially with one of their full-back on a yellow and the other one only one yellow card from suspension.

They taught Madrid a lesson over the two legs in my opinion.
  31. Apr 26, 2012

Snake Plissken Aka LTS10

The guy saying Bayern sad back and defended.

Did he mix the teams up?

Bayern were very offensive and the better side in BOTH games. They really deserve their place in the final.
  32. Apr 26, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    The game went both ways, there were chances Madrid had too, with Benzema and Ronaldo always threatening.

The games were extremely close.

And what is this whole "deserved to lose" crap anyway?
  33. Apr 26, 2012

I don't think Madrid had as many arguments. Even away, Bayern could and should have answered straight back after Madrid's first goal, and perhaps added another one. They didn't, Madrid got a disputable penalty and suddenly the score looked somewhat inflated. They always looked like scoring when they wanted/needed to.

The front formations of respective clubs equalled themselves I think, but the general quality was on Bayern's side. Even if one argued that Madrid were better yesterday, the gap was nowhere near as glaring as Bayern's domination in the first fixture
  34. Apr 26, 2012

Eugenius Full Member

If Cassilas had dived the other way, you'd all be saying how Ronaldo has balls of steel. Shit happens.
  35. Apr 26, 2012

He has anyway. To take a penalty against your own keeper in UCL semi-final is frightening as a mere thought.
  36. Apr 26, 2012

Ronaldo's had just 15 shots less than the entire Racing Santander team this season.
  37. Apr 26, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Not surprising since he has like 15 a game.
  38. Apr 26, 2012

I'm always right Banned

That's an absolute brilliant gif and summed up that post perfectly :lol::lol::lol:
  39. Apr 26, 2012

Relevated Moral Guide

was it a good match? I fell asleep 20 minutes in because I was tired, then I turned it on sky news and saw Bayern won on penalties and the first thought that went through my mind was 'Ronaldo has blown it again' which was true. Does anyone thing Ronaldo will win the Ballon D'or/Euros?

He has really stepped it up for Portugal in the friendlies but now is when his team need him, Nani has been better than him but those 2 are the standouts for the national team.
  40. Apr 26, 2012

Arruda Full Member

Portugal has improved quite a lot since we got rid of Queiroz. I think we can do well in the Euros, though our group is the toughest.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.