Ronaldo: When I play again, the fans will love me again..

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Rahul, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Sep 15, 2008

Rahul Full Member

He seems confident of getting the fans back pretty quickly indeed. What does everyone else think of this ? Instant "Viva Ronaldo"'s ringing out from the terraces again ?
  2. Sep 15, 2008

vijay Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo

It would be absurd to dismiss Manchester United as a one-man team, but, as Cristiano Ronaldo prepares to rush back to action this week a fortnight ahead of schedule, it will be to sighs of relief around Old Trafford.

After a summer spent flirting with Real Madrid, Ronaldo is no longer guaranteed the adulation of the United supporters, but, with his customary modesty, he stated yesterday that “when I play again, the fans will love me again”. Whether they do or not, they will certainly welcome back the Portugal forward if, as Sir Alex Ferguson hopes, he is able to be named among the substitutes to face Villarreal in the Champions League on Wednesday, or away to Chelsea on Sunday.

In his absence, after ankle surgery, the European champions have struggled in the opening weeks of the season, winning only one of their opening three Barclays Premier League games, losing to Zenit St Petersburg in the Uefa Super Cup and requiring a penalty shoot-out to overcome Portsmouth in the Community Shield.

After a 2-1 defeat at Anfield on Saturday, United are fourteenth in the Premier League, six points behind Chelsea and Liverpool, and five behind Arsenal, albeit having played one game fewer than those clubs. At the same time that they were suffering a rare defeat away to Liverpool, Ronaldo was in his native Madeira, picking up the European Golden Boot award in recognition of his 31 league goals last season – a reminder, as if one were necessary, of what United have been missing.

“With this Golden Boot I have changed football a little,” Ronaldo said. “Usually strikers win this award and I am a winger. To be honest, I think I have been the most consistent and the best. And over time I want to enter the book of all-time greatest players. When I put on that [United] shirt, I give my all. I am already in the history of the club. When I play again, the fans will love me again.”

That is true of many supporters, but not all. It is not merely his injury that has meant his name has not been chanted this season, just as it is symbolic that his “Viva Ronaldo” chant has been modified to “Viva John Terry” in mock tribute of the Chelsea captain, whose penalty shoot-out miss in Moscow went a long way towards securing the European Cup for United. Ronaldo’s behaviour in pursuing a move to Real has not been forgiven or forgotten, but, as flimsy as his long-term commitment to United is, his importance to the cause is immense. Since the start of last season, United have played 41 Premier League matches, losing just six, four in games that he did not start.
    Even with Ronaldo back on board, United face a testing week, with Michael Carrick unlikely to play in either match after suffering a foot injury against Liverpool on Saturday.

Paul Scholes will miss the Villarreal match after his red card against Zenit and Nemanja Vidic will play no part at Stamford Bridge because of his sending-off against Liverpool.

If there was one piece of good news for United this weekend, it came when Ronaldo dismissed the notion that he might be tempted to join Manchester City after their proposed takeover by Arab billionaires. “I don’t see myself in the shirt of another Manchester team,” he said. That is a long way from the emphatic declaration of loyalty that United’s fans have been waiting for since the Champions League final, but, under the circumstances, it will have to do.

Big Man Ronaldo
  3. Sep 15, 2008

Eyepopper Lowering the tone since 2006

While his confidence on things like this pisses me off a little its the same confidence that makes him a great player...
  4. Sep 15, 2008

Skelter Internet GYPO

He's right though.
  5. Sep 15, 2008

Brophs The one and only

No love to be had here. I can support him and respect him as a footballer, and appreciate his contribution, but any warmth I had for him is sadly gone. I think there might be a few more like me on here too.
  6. Sep 15, 2008

vijay Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo

Arrogance and confidence is all right, it makes a great player and Cantona wasn't an exception. But if things start going wrong it can easily backfire.
  7. Sep 15, 2008

Dyslexic Untied Full Member

Yeah, I feel that way too brophs.

I also reckon he`ll be gone by next summer.
  8. Sep 15, 2008

Richter Hairy big footed Swede

I think he secretly is loving United's current situation. It makes it possible for him to return as some sort of Messiah.
  9. Sep 15, 2008

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Was gonna say the same thing myself. Love him or hate him (and it's impossible to love such an arrogant, self-absorbed bell-end) it's his unshakeable confidence that makes him such a fantastic player.

He seems to be able to score goals by the sheer force of his self-belief. Whilst I don't want the rest of our team to turn into bell-ends too, a lack of self-belief, throughout the team, was a major factor in Saturday's limp-wristed display.
  10. Sep 15, 2008

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Same feeling as Brophs, and Ruben.
  11. Sep 15, 2008

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Yes

He's ego will have surged more than a few levels.
  12. Sep 15, 2008

MancFanFromManc Full Member

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
    sad but true. Had we had the start that Ferguson told us he was planning for (ie a good one), then mebbe we could afford to sulk at Roni for a couple of games. As things stand.....

"VIVA RONALDO, RUNNING DOWN THE WING ........ " :p
  13. Sep 15, 2008

Elliott Likes Loan Stickies

With a few exceptions he will be loved again. Of course he will. It's not going to take more than a handful of good games and one good pre/post match interview either. There will be a "Is Ron finally a man?" thread around Christmas I reckon and it'll be a lovefest.
  14. Sep 15, 2008

Adebesi Full Member

It would sure be easier to maintain the principled position of cold appreciation (as opposed to love) if we hadnt been so abject in the games he's been unavailable.

Assuming his return turns things around. But it is a dangerous position to be so reliant on a player. It reminds me of how things were with Rooney the season we exited the CL at the group stages. When he wasnt playing we just seemed to be rudderless.
  15. Sep 15, 2008

theimperialinn Full Member

Paddy's gonna trip you up, Paddy's gonna mow you d
    I'll be hoping he does well but he's got a long way to go before I sing 'viva ronaldo' again
  16. Sep 15, 2008

WAZZA-UP Full Member

I have to agree with those saying he will be welcomed back... its a perfect situation for him we are struggling.. I know things will get better I know we are learning to Gel (Berbatov etc) but after this wkends performance he has the perfect platform to return and get us to love him again straight away. We all know that if we beat CHelsea next week we are doing something that no tem ahas done since Mourinho started his reign over 2 seasons ago, this is potentially (even though it is so early in the season) a massive game with us currently lying in 15th (th difference between this season and last is when we were near the bottom the other big 3 were not near the top .. this time they are!!!
  17. Sep 15, 2008

Red Hand Devil Plan M ish

"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
    I think its best to play it by ear. Whether we can find something near the love & respect we had for him as a United player remains to be seen, but the way i see it is - feck it - he's done alot for United & regardless of whether he stays longer than the season ahead, he has lit up our United lives since he made his debut as an 18yrs old.
  18. Sep 15, 2008

reddev07 Full Member

LOL, I remember reading an interview with David Gill in the summer and he basically said in it that Fergie had told Ronaldo that.

However, neither Fergie or Ronaldo are wrong. There will still be a lot of fans not happy with Ronaldo and not so forgiving but also a lot who were angry in the summer, who won't be once he starts putting in match winning performances and scoring match winning goals.

Look at Adebayor. The Arsenal fans know he will go as soon as another club, no matter who they are, offers him more money I bet he would go to City if they offered him more. So they show they are not happy with him at the start of the season, some even booing, his name not being sung etc. Yet the minute he scores his first goal against Blackburn, they started singing his name!. Not that I am saying United fans will be the same but it does show you how fickle some football supporters are
  19. Sep 15, 2008

reddev07 Full Member

He was asked on Saturday if we had lost to Liverpool because he wasn't playing and he said no, and that people always say that when a player isn't playing in a match and that we have lost before with him playing.
  20. Sep 15, 2008

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    They will. Wait and see.

His first hat-trick and United fans will be singing just like the gooners sang for Adebayor.

I don't really have a problem with that. Football fans are fickle but hey, I'm a football fan too.
  21. Sep 15, 2008

Ecroyd Strangely aroused by Lizard King

i will like him again and be glad he plays for us, i might even sing his name in a few months, but deep down he has lost my respect
  22. Sep 15, 2008

Makki QUITTER

freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
    Hence; secretly..
  23. Sep 15, 2008

Drifter American

Viva Ronaldo.
  24. Sep 15, 2008

O'Sheady Full Member

The better he has got the less I have liked him really.Dont get me wrong love the goals and the skillls to a lesser degree but I have always known he was completely up his own arse.If he scores its all look at me look at me,furry muff but he does the same if he set the goal up instead of congratulating the scorer.The whole shennanighans in the summer was par for the course for a player who only sees teammates as supporting actors to his oscar performance. While he plays for Utd I will be in the same position, when he scores I will be hysterically happy with a tiny tinge of nausea.Meh! what are you gonna do.He might cop on as he gets a bit older but I doubt it.
  25. Sep 15, 2008

United78 Full Member

Thing is I support United and right now he is a player for that club and so I support him -- but "fall in love with him again"??? No way!
  26. Sep 15, 2008

Makki QUITTER

What do you think of Berbatov's unacceptable behaviour after setting up Tevez on Saturday then?
    Or Danny Simpson when he set Rooney up for a goal against Wigan last season, where he was individually congratulated on the assist by his fellow team mates and not running like a lunatic to celebrate with Rooney?

It's always been like that that the one who sets the goal up is individually congratulated and more often the scorer goes to him and 'thanks' him or something. Look at most goals, the one who sets it up doesn't run like a lunatic to him, and it's not just Ronaldo. I agree that Ronaldo's up his own arse, but as the best player in the world he's got the right to be that (and probably is the best player in the world because he is arrogant) but the example of him not celebrating with the scorer when he sets up a goal isn't a good one.
  27. Sep 15, 2008

el eric Full Member

He couldnt have timed his return to fitness any better could he

Jammy b'stard
  28. Sep 15, 2008

This isn`t correct. The assister often gets congratulated as well, but he doesn`t celebrate the assist as if it were a goal. Ronaldo does that. There is a clear difference. Just wait till you see Ronaldo set up Rooney the next time, one of them will be celebrating more than the other, and it won`t be Rooney.

I don`t really have a problem with celebrating assists though, it`t just that Ronaldo does it in a stupid arrogant Thierry Henry manner. Shaking his head or shrugging his shoulders. It just doesn`t look good.
  29. Sep 15, 2008

Makki QUITTER

Isn't this the first time he's been injured for us as well? I mean in the sense that he's missed more than one or two games in a row due to injury? With the treatment he gets from opposition defenders you would think he gets injured a lot more like Messi.

And even now, he played with the injury for a couple of months before undergoing surgery to get rid of the problem.
  30. Sep 15, 2008

MUFCgal Full Member

Exactly Pogue. Adebayor scores a few goals and the Arse are singing for him again. It was the same with Gerrard a few seasons back after he publicly admitted he wanted to leave. Fans were burning their Gerrard shirts in the streets, he ends up staying and puts in a few good performances and all of a sudden, he's their hero again. Same with Lampard who led Chelsea a merry dance for 18 months, refusing to sign a new contract. He signs and they're singing his name again. I'll give Ronaldo my support when he does play again but I don't feel the same affection for him and I doubt whether I ever will again.
  31. Sep 15, 2008

Eriku Full Member

That's a bit harsh... besides, when he was asked whether our string of results show that the team needs him he seemed to shrug that off and say that it's sort of similar to last season, and we certainly picked ourselves up then.
  32. Sep 15, 2008

Makki QUITTER

I'd like to replace the name Thierry Henry for Eric Cantona and see what you think? Yeah, Ronaldo waits for the rest of the team to come over and congratulate him, but look at Berbatov when we scored on Saturday. Not much difference in it. It's not like Ronaldo runs the length of the pitch, Neville-style to kiss the badge and so on.

I bet you're one of those people that said that Ronaldo fell down on the pitch and started to cry when we won in Moscow just because he wanted the cameras to be on him and not the rest of the team..
  33. Sep 15, 2008

Makki QUITTER

See post 22.

Of course he's not going to say that in an interview..
  34. Sep 15, 2008

Cantona usually celebrated by running around with a smile on his face. doing the regular fist pumping etc. If he did something spectacular though, like that goal against Sunderland, which is probably the one you are referring to, then he`d race his arms and get the accolade he deserved. He only did it a few times, and only when he`d done something brilliant. I don`t recall him doing it for assists either.

I was jumping around when Tevez scored, so didn`t catch the Berbatov reaction.

Your bet would be wrong, don`t make assumptions on someone you don`t know.
  35. Sep 15, 2008

RedGib Full Member

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
  36. Sep 15, 2008

Adebesi Full Member

I'm Ronaldo and so's my wife.
  37. Sep 15, 2008

P.Head D.Head

He makes me feel like a whore, if he were to repeat last seasons` unbelievable form, scoring forty goals & leading us to another double I would be on here sucking his dick with the rest of you ..
    .. he`s a deplorable, hateful cnut though!

I wonder what the figures are on shirt sales & merchandise concerning Ronaldo? Not befitting our "star" player I`ll be bound.
  38. Sep 15, 2008

O'Sheady Full Member

Dont know whether it was for the cameras or not but he did not run to celebrate with the rest of the team .As usual it was the Ronaldo show.
  39. Sep 15, 2008

Raven Blade Dull

Oh cmon, MUFCgal. When Ronaldo is back and playing at his best you will be swooning over him again like a lovestruck teenage girl. :smirk:
  40. Sep 15, 2008

Mihajlovic Its Baltic!

Ronaldo is a child.