Rooney and Ronaldo

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by kidbob, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Mar 5, 2018

kidbob Full Member Knee-jerker

Not your typical thread about the two. I'm sure this has been done to death but suck it. I've been watching the BBC's most shocking World Cup moments and came across Rooney's red card and the 'wink'.

I know this forum will unfortunately be anti Rooney until the day he retires and we appreciate him for the legend he is. I want to point out two articles about what Rooney said to Ronaldo after the game and then to Fergie. It has to be appreciated, I feel, that a guy who would be slated as letting his country down in the over bearing style only the English media can produce reacted in such an honourable way and went on to win countless trophies with his team mate.

Before any of you 'Rooney haters' jump in, I do not defend his actions,he deserved to be sent off but it takes a strong character and someone who cared fully about United to not kick up a fuss at all.

http://www.givemesport.com/1212966-...-cristiano-ronaldo-incident-at-2006-world-cup

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/377704/rooney-ronaldo/

A taster of what it meant to the team to have them as a duo , let alone the performances they individually put in outside of that.

I'm undoubtedly a Rooney fan and have defended him up until he left (being Irish I'm used to dealing with failures and bad performances) but surely Wayne should be commended for his maturity in this situation and both should be adored for the years and successes that followed this incident.

What say you?
  2. Mar 5, 2018

Amar__ Not so Full Member

Supports:
    MK Dons
    You are wrong, no one hates Rooney now that he left. Actually, no one even cares about him amymore.
  3. Mar 5, 2018

Nickys Butt Banned

I actually never seen his little headbutt thing before the game before.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2018
  4. Mar 5, 2018

Arbitrium Supposed to be taking a year off

I don’t know how kids right now in 20 years will choose to remember Rooney, but I do know for as long as I’m compos mentis, Rooney won’t be a legend in my eyes mainly down to his holding the club to ransom, twice, and proceeding to decline quicker than any player I’ve ever seen.
  5. Mar 5, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Rooney handled that incident maturely.
  6. Mar 5, 2018

And one thing that gets overlooked in that incident is that it was 100% a deliberate stamp to the balls and a red card every day of the week. Ronaldo’s fault though.

Honestly, the English media are just unbearable.
  7. Mar 5, 2018

Fergus' son Gets very easily confused

Two legends of the club - was a joy to witness them in that SAF team.
  8. Mar 5, 2018

thegregster Harbinger of new information

Shearer in the first video. :lol:
  9. Mar 5, 2018

thegregster Harbinger of new information

Football feuds are rare since the big money came in.

Matic was supposed to be the ringleader in Jose losing the dressing room at Chelsea. Look how that turned out.

99% of the time they will all find a way to work together. Feuds are quickly forgotten.
  10. Mar 5, 2018

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

1) Even Keane held United to Ransom apparently for £70k-90k per week way back when. Weird to use this as a stick to beat Rooney with.

2) His decline was fast but he had a lot of miles on the clock.
  11. Mar 5, 2018

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    The bitterness about the whole thing was incredible from the english at the time. Not just the media either as Ronaldo spent the whole season of 2006/07 getting booed everywhere he played.
  12. Mar 5, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Remember that WC being pissed that Rooney played since the start of the tournament as he had a broken bone in his foot a few weeks before. He was far from being 100% there, same in 2010.

Think those 2 settled it right after the game, the rest was a media circus.
  13. Mar 5, 2018

kidbob Full Member Knee-jerker

Strange thing that no one cares about our top ever goalscorer. You feel the same way about Giggs and Scholes and Cantona now they're gone?
  14. Mar 5, 2018

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

SAF said Rooney called him to let him know everything was alright and suggested for Ronaldo to join him in some promotional work together, to get rid of the media buzz. True professional.

15. Mar 5, 2018

Manny Grammar Police

Rooney came out recently and said he had tried to get Ronaldo booked earlier in the game. They're both twats.
  16. Mar 5, 2018

Jaybomb Banned

They’re both legends but I always preferred Ronaldo. My favourite player ever.

Together, they were unstoppable.
  17. Mar 5, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Roy Keane had the backing of SAF to do so, whereas Wayne......
  18. Mar 5, 2018

clarkydaz Full Member

i forgot it was a kick in the nuts. Was it a straight red, or was it for the push aswell? The ref reacts to the push
  19. Mar 5, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Fergie :lol:
  20. Mar 5, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Well unless you're that type of honest player/person who wants a totally fair, zero 'cheating' football game, :D this is football, if you want to win, get whatever advantage within the rules of the game as you can, eg. make their best player booked. Playing dirty eg. blatantly injuring opponents or insults or racism, is way off and sick though.
  21. Mar 5, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Ah yes, that media circus. The funny thing is we hit the ground running amok with first shooting down Fulham :lol: with both Roon and Ron combined and celebrated together. So, the press took the first hit of spreading ridiculous news about their supposedly rife. The boos he receive instead turn Ronaldo into the best exciting player of that season, disappointing them as their teams dropped points. Best first season live for me. We're up against the whole league that season. Our support backing of Ronaldo is impressive.
  22. Mar 5, 2018

Schneckerl Full Member

This whole story never made any sense.
    It would have been controversial if CR got him send off for nothing, but the red card was well deserved so no idea how it's Ronaldo's fault and not Rooney's.
  23. Mar 5, 2018

Amar__ Not so Full Member

Supports:
    MK Dons
    Why would I care too much about Rooney now that he's left United for different team? I respect him for the years he's spent here, but not that I care too much about him at the moment.

I am not sure I care much about Giggs and Scholes now too, and they are one of my favourite players ever. Of course I wish them all the best, and want them to do better than some other players who don't have United connection, but that's about it.
  24. Mar 5, 2018

Vialli_92 Full Member

Supports:
    Juventus
    Wayne even said it himself, if he was in Ronaldo's position he would have done exactly the same thing

That nouse is quite important to gaining advantages in sport
  25. Mar 5, 2018

shamans Hoser

"Holding the club ransom" is honestly one of the most childish things I read on here. Even if he straight up asked for a transfer request how is he holding the club ransom? Him and all footballers are employees of a club. That is it.

Maybe you don't but he will be a legend for me always
  26. Mar 5, 2018

ravi2 Full Member

Keane never held the club to ransom, his situation was vastly different to Rooney's and the salary he ended up getting was £50k. He could have left at the end of that season for nothing and it would have cost the club even more to replace him.
  27. Mar 5, 2018

It’s just the commonly used expression for a player stalling on his contract demands because he wants more. The same way people use “war chest” to indicate a club has a lot money to spend on transfers.
  28. Mar 5, 2018

shamans Hoser

How is that wrong? He felt he deserved more. He made it clear to the club. There was no back stabbing.
  29. Mar 5, 2018

LARulz Full Member

Didn't Rooney also just recently say he told Ronaldo straight after the match he'd have done the same?
  30. Mar 5, 2018

iammemphis iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

Supports:
    United but also follow Watford
    I was infuriated during the game, but i remember wearing my blue Ronaldo away shirt to the gym the following day in support :lol:

As for Rooney, anybody who says he isn’t a United legend is being petty. He won it all with us, and in his prime (which was actually his early years) he was devastating. My favourite player for at least 10 years at United.
  31. Mar 5, 2018

Kazi Full Member

Ronaldo had the right mentality from earlier on, he always wanted it more.

Rooney has a tough exterior but is pretty soft on the inside.
  32. Mar 5, 2018

Slimcharles69 Banned Scouse Lover

Supports:
    MK Dons
    If Ronaldo is considered a club legend then so should Rooney IMO. Of course all this shows is how trivial this argument is.
  33. Mar 5, 2018

Zlatan 7 New Member

Supports:
    United
    Totally agree with both points.

Plus, Rooney watched ronaldo leave and after the few years of fantastic football we played and countless champs league finals, turned to signing Valencia and Owen. He had every right to question where the club was going imo and also to ask for more money, who in football or any walk of life doesn’t want more money for what they do?

Rooney is a clear legend of united in my eyes.
  34. Mar 5, 2018

cyril C Full Member

Legends? The only English legends that people still remember are those playing in 1966, the rest are simply over-hyped and over-paid players. Rooney failed to turn up in most of the Euro or WC finals, on the one that he turned up, he got remember for the wrong reason.
  35. Mar 5, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    World cup can't come soon enough.
  36. Mar 5, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Alex Ferguson doesn't think Rooney held the club to ransom, certainly not in 2010 anyway as he says in his book. But then what would Fergie know eh.
  37. Mar 5, 2018

Murder on Zidane's Floor You'd better not kill Giroud

Did he?
  38. Mar 5, 2018

I think I referenced it earlier that the term is just a general one that encapsulates the whole saga. I don’t think any crimes were committed.
  39. Mar 5, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

40. Mar 6, 2018

stevoc Full Member

If you don't think he actually ''held the club to ransom'' then why say it and why hold it against him?

For whats it's worth Ferguson said Rooney genuinely wanted to leave and he didn't think it was about money.

The club didn't suddenly offer him an extra £50k per week 24 hours after Ferguson made it public Rooney wanted to leave, when Rooney had been telling them for months he wouldn't sign any contract and wanted to leave . Obviously what broke the deadlock is that Rooney himself changed his mind and then agreed to sign the contract that had been on offer.